Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
The Chinese/Korean sides of the house goes a lot harder on the speaking side of the house compared to the basic course, even in the refreshers, let alone the intermediate and advanced courses according to the folk I knew who went through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Friar Zucchini posted:

That right there doesn't necessarily give a lot of information. I could pencilwhip some poo poo up in like half an hour or 45 minutes after formation in the morning and get away with it, but then I was talking to some Russian kids that literally lived homework, doing it in class breaks, lunch, after class and staying up late still working on it and could still barely get it all done.

I still pencilwhip my homework after breakfast during intermediate and advanced most of the time, and I'm not some star at the language. Like most things, that generally comes down to what teachers you get. There's always that one that's a stickler for homework, but in my experience in the upper level classes there aren't many instructors like that. When you're taking those classes, the focus isn't on passing a DLPT. You're there because you've already done that and the instructors know it. I've generally found most of them don't give a poo poo*, but those are also arabs.

* About homework.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

standard.deviant posted:

Garmish has a very good language school, they teach all of those there. The reason the military hates money in that case is that they flew someone to Germany from Florida instead of driving up the road to Georgia or taking a shorter flight to Texas or Maryland.

The thing is that PLTCE is the cheapest option when it comes to providing language training. Total cost is around 4000 compared to paying someone to stay in a hotel for the same length of time plus per diem for meals. I went to Meade for my first refresher and it cost more than two trips to Garmisch combines.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

faddypaddy posted:

The thing is that PLTCE is the cheapest option when it comes to providing language training. Total cost is around 4000 compared to paying someone to stay in a hotel for the same length of time plus per diem for meals. I went to Meade for my first refresher and it cost more than two trips to Garmisch combines.

Too bad in my experience E7+s always snake the class spots to treat themselves to a vacation.

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008

Can you spot the problem here?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, they picked some awful headshots for alumni.

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:thejoke:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Spockly posted:

Can you spot the problem here?

I dunno, seems pretty clear cut from a reputable source here:

http://infowars.net/articles/february2007/250207Hijackers.htm

Very reputable source. I learn so much from that site.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I looked at that site for like a half a second and I'm already all :tinfoil: about what guvmint lists I'm on just cause I clicked on it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If just going to DLI doesn't get you put on some watchlists as a precautionary measure somebody should get on that.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Well there is that...

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
Watchlist for being a total loving loser.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Halfway through Farsi. I have a 3.7. I have never hated learning a language this much in my life before, and I've learned four - two of them in a fairly intense "learn this now or suffer" way. There is nothing redeemable about this process - it still doesn't even work for like half the people in the class. We're also on some kind of lovely pilot program so all that means for us is more work compared to other classes that is poorly defined and tanks everyone's grades and the MLIs don't give any shits whatsoever while we get dicked over.

Also piss jugs in Airmen's wall lockers and stories of roofying at the Bull and the Bear that would put Bill Cosby to shame.

This loving place.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Does the Bear and the Bull still have all of the old Mucky Duck signs up inside of it, or did they finally finish changing the interior stuff to match the new name?

The one and only time I blacked out in Monterey was after drinking there. Good times.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

HellishWhiskers posted:

Halfway through Farsi. I have a 3.7. I have never hated learning a language this much in my life before, and I've learned four - two of them in a fairly intense "learn this now or suffer" way. There is nothing redeemable about this process - it still doesn't even work for like half the people in the class. We're also on some kind of lovely pilot program so all that means for us is more work compared to other classes that is poorly defined and tanks everyone's grades and the MLIs don't give any shits whatsoever while we get dicked over.

Also piss jugs in Airmen's wall lockers and stories of roofying at the Bull and the Bear that would put Bill Cosby to shame.

This loving place.

It's cool man once you finally get through it you'll almost definitely go to Augusta Georgia with no chance of ever leaving and you get to work in the worst professional environment of all time!

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Internet Wizard posted:

Does the Bear and the Bull still have all of the old Mucky Duck signs up inside of it, or did they finally finish changing the interior stuff to match the new name?

The one and only time I blacked out in Monterey was after drinking there. Good times.

I haven't stepped foot in that place because I don't want to be associated with poo poo that goes on in there in any way plus I haven't had a real desire to get shitfaced yet.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 6, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Black Balloon posted:

It's cool man once you finally get through it you'll almost definitely go to Augusta Georgia with no chance of ever leaving and you get to work in the worst professional environment of all time!
Being Farsi really doesn't help here, if that makes you feel any better. :v:

...I mean you could also get sent to Ft Meade. Rumor has it that that place is in Maryland. :emo:

realtalk: Nobody you work with is gonna have it any easier, so at least we get to be miserable together.

edit: At least LARPing isn't banned here, so if you're that much of a loving sperg (hey, you're posting in this thread, of course you are) you can get in on squadron-sponsored LARP events every once in a while. They do try to keep us happy, or at least they make it look like they're trying.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 15, 2015

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Friar Zucchini posted:

Being Farsi really doesn't help here, if that makes you feel any better. :v:

...I mean you could also get sent to Ft Meade. Rumor has it that that place is in Maryland. :emo:

I mean, I've heard that Meade is better, but I'm guessing that everything is just awful. Also, I'm in, so there's that too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Meade is not in Georgia. Instant plus. Also Baltimore is a cool as gently caress city .

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Black Balloon posted:

Don't forget our open working environment!

Not many Farsi linguists will get sent outside Augusta for their first tour. If they're AF they could always get sent to Nebraska though. Meade is the holy grail of linguist duties if you actually want to have a decent career since everything happens there and nobody will fly you from HI or GA to MD for decent training that is free to people stationed there.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Analogical posted:

Don't forget our open working environment!

Not many Farsi linguists will get sent outside Augusta for their first tour. If they're AF they could always get sent to Nebraska though. Meade is the holy grail of linguist duties if you actually want to have a decent career since everything happens there and nobody will fly you from HI or GA to MD for decent training that is free to people stationed there.

A friend of mine was a Russian linguist. He claims the best duty station was Diego Garcia because you never had to deal with Meade and played softball against Brits all day

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I thought everyone else was joking when they called this place the desperate love institute or the sperg capital of america. At least I'm not in Farsi, and I got really lucky and got an MLI that actually gives a poo poo about me and I don't know how I managed to get so lucky.

HellishWhiskers posted:

Hey, some of the piss jugs are also in the recycling, because someone felt the need to spread the love. This loving place.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
Although post DLI Hebrew is kind of barren imo, my time their was chill as gently caress compared to some of these stories in retrospect. Every Friday was movie and snacks after lunch break. Teachers told me to stop doing my homework if it went over 2 hours. A classmate had medicine that made him drowsy so the instructors insisted he take naps on the couch in the teachers office every couple hours

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Air Force is on almost-kind-of-Lockdown after three DUIs in the same weekend, one of which involved somebody underage driving into a fence from being too drunk fifty feet after making it through the front gate.

Good times.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

HellishWhiskers posted:

Air Force is on almost-kind-of-Lockdown after three DUIs in the same weekend, one of which involved somebody underage driving into a fence from being too drunk fifty feet after making it through the front gate.

Good times.

gently caress else is new.

What's the new name for the Mucky Duck? I heard it changed.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Analogical posted:

gently caress else is new.

What's the new name for the Mucky Duck? I heard it changed.

Bull and the Bear. Still the same old shithole, of course.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Any Persian linguists or students in here? به من پیام را می فرستید لطفاً

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Navy policy changes announced this week pertaining to linguists:

2+/2+ graduation standard out of DLI. (Might be DoD wide?)

110 DLAB minimum for CTI instead of 100.

If you are sub-standard (under 2/2, for now) you can't test for advancement.

FLPP pay will only pay for one primary language and one secondary (dialect).

You won't get FLPP for languages outside of your mission scope. So if you grew up speaking Spanish or Turkish and were taught Arabic at DLI and put on an Arabic mission, you only get paid for Arabic. In the same example, if you switch to a Spanish mission you won't get paid for Arabic. Any secondary languages you're getting paid for must be from the same theater as your primary language.

If you're getting FLPP for a language you grew up speaking and you don't do language mission or have a language NEC as your primary that money will go away in the next 18-24 months.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Analogical posted:

Navy policy changes announced this week pertaining to linguists:

2+/2+ graduation standard out of DLI. (Might be DoD wide?)

110 DLAB minimum for CTI instead of 100.

If you are sub-standard (under 2/2, for now) you can't test for advancement.

FLPP pay will only pay for one primary language and one secondary (dialect).

You won't get FLPP for languages outside of your mission scope. So if you grew up speaking Spanish or Turkish and were taught Arabic at DLI and put on an Arabic mission, you only get paid for Arabic. In the same example, if you switch to a Spanish mission you won't get paid for Arabic. Any secondary languages you're getting paid for must be from the same theater as your primary language.

If you're getting FLPP for a language you grew up speaking and you don't do language mission or have a language NEC as your primary that money will go away in the next 18-24 months.

Raise the standards and lower the pay!

So loving glad I got out of the military.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Had some big-wigs come through a few weeks ago and they said that 2+/2+ is for 2022 or some other distant-future poo poo. When I was at DLI that woulda been completely laughable, especially considering my class's pass rate, but that's far out enough that there might be some time to tweak this and push that and readjust that over there so they might have some excuse to call it feasible.

And I thought people already didn't get paid for native languages without a mission purpose?

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
hey were saying 2+ 2+ in speeches back in 2002. So scary!

Atall
May 23, 2012
All the Joes in the 229th are prohibited from drinking for a bit.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
What happened this time

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
2+ 2 in Farsi. I am so happy to be finally leaving this crazy shithole that I'm sure I'm going to have nostalgic memories of in the future.

Also it's Gordon for me, because of course it is.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 31, 2016

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
Just in time for the standard to raise to 2+ 2+!

in 10-15 years.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

HellishWhiskers posted:

2+ 2 in Farsi. I am so happy to be finally leaving this crazy shithole that I'm sure I'm going to have nostalgic memories of in the future.

Grats dude!

Georgia is really not all that bad. Augusta is fairly close to a bunch of cool places.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HellishWhiskers posted:

Gordon is better than Huachuca.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Gordon is better than Huachuca.

That's like when I tell people 29 Palms is better than Goodfellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
All I know is I'll be out of AETC and that's good enough for me.

• Locked thread