Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

As someone who never experienced it, what's the general consensus of the Ruthless Aggression era?

Best roster ever, dragged down by the fact that HHH rules the world and wants to be Ric Flair mixed with Harley Race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

joshtothemaxx posted:

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere online of male wrestlers who adopted gimmicks that were gay, implied they were gay, or were extremely effeminate? I would count the more effeminate "dandy" wrestlers, like Gorgeous George.

You could make a case for Magnum TOKYO, but I guess he was more stripper than effeminate. Though he did thrust his crotch into men's faces all the time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OldTennisCourt posted:

As someone who never experienced it, what's the general consensus of the Ruthless Aggression era?

Smackdown was the superior show for a lot of it, you had the Smackdown Six (Eddie, Benoit, Angle, Rey, Edge and Chavo) putting on excellent matches every week. Raw was the worst of the HHH show, with him in the nadir of his steroid-bloated, groin-injured trajectory. The absolute best example of this dichotomy is from the Royal Rumble 2003, with HHH vs Scott Steiner in a plodding, gassy suplex-fest that went for an interminable 18 minutes followed by Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit putting on a spectacular clinic of of match that went for the same amount of time and was practically perfect in every way.

I think HHH had decided that he was the kind of Ric Flair wrestler that could drag a broomhandle through a good match. I dunno who laid out the match with Scott Steiner, but it was a misery.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Memento posted:

Smackdown was the superior show for a lot of it, you had the Smackdown Six (Eddie, Benoit, Angle, Rey, Edge and Chavo) putting on excellent matches every week. Raw was the worst of the HHH show, with him in the nadir of his steroid-bloated, groin-injured trajectory. The absolute best example of this dichotomy is from the Royal Rumble 2003, with HHH vs Scott Steiner in a plodding, gassy suplex-fest that went for an interminable 18 minutes followed by Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit putting on a spectacular clinic of of match that went for the same amount of time and was practically perfect in every way.

I think HHH had decided that he was the kind of Ric Flair wrestler that could drag a broomhandle through a good match. I dunno who laid out the match with Scott Steiner, but it was a misery.

You can't forget the interminable build up to the Steiner/Hunter match with pose-downs, arm wrestling and a whole bunch of other bullshit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Writer Cath posted:

You can't forget the interminable build up to the Steiner/Hunter match with pose-downs, arm wrestling and a whole bunch of other bullshit.

I've been trying to. There isn't enough hard liquor in the world.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Writer Cath posted:

Which one was injured in that build? Was it Steiner who had a bicep injury or something?

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

OldTennisCourt posted:

Thinking of that era I get flash backs of a million great Benoit vs Angle matches, lots of kayfabe botched moonsaults and flying headbutts off the top of the cage...

And then I get sad.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sticklefifer posted:

Which one was injured in that build? Was it Steiner who had a bicep injury or something?

I know Steiner had a really bad ankle injury after his WWE run, and he constantly had bicep tears, but I can't remember anything specific from around that match.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

joshtothemaxx posted:

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere online of male wrestlers who adopted gimmicks that were gay, implied they were gay, or were extremely effeminate? I would count the more effeminate "dandy" wrestlers, like Gorgeous George.

So far, I've got: Gorgeous George, Ricky Starr, Adrian Street, Adrian Adonis, Goldust, Rico, Dalton Castle, Billy & Chuck, Lenny & Lodi, the Christopher Street Connection, The Heart Throbs (WWE 2005)...

Anyone else?

Johnny B Badd?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Christopher Street Connection in early ROH

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Perdido posted:

Johnny B Badd?

He's definitely in the grey area. I always saw him as a ripoff of Little Richard, and I think Little Richard always got really pissy when people questioned his sexuality.

Swan Curry posted:

AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES

YES.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Steiner/HHH build was one of the most entertaining builds in history.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

oldpainless posted:

Agreed, the posedown alone was enough to get my buy

but then I had to watch the match and it was bad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

joshtothemaxx posted:

He's definitely in the grey area. I always saw him as a ripoff of Little Richard, and I think Little Richard always got really pissy when people questioned his sexuality.

JBB has to count. A lot of effeminate wrestling gimmicks made conspicuous mention of how popular the wrestler was with the ladies, perhaps to avoid crossing a line. That was the case with Patterson.

JBB was a direct copy of Little Richard, if he was jacked, and Little Richard was bi.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Has anyone mentioned Danshoku Dino or Cassandro yet?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Would Too Hot fall under that umbrella? Before they became Too Cool?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

From what I remember hearing, they were the first team Vince McMahon wanted to do the gay marriage story line with, he never does give up on a concept.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
That was Too Much. I did hear that the Chuck and Billy gay marriage storyline was originally conceived many years earlier for Too Much, but Lawler personally put an end to that because he thought his son's career would never recover (note: Brian Christopher went on to not have much of a career besides being in Too Cool)

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Ahh, not sure where I got Too Hot from.... and cool, I didn't imagine it then.

Side topic question, who was the tag team that was responsible for killing off Byte This? What did they do again?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

freeranger posted:

Side topic question, who was the tag team that was responsible for killing off Byte This? What did they do again?

The future Scotty too Hotty and Grandmaster Sexay was then known as Scott "Too Hot" Taylor, with his partner "Too Sexy" Brian Christopher.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

freeranger posted:

Instead of Scotty 2 Hotty and Grandmaster Sexay they were nicknamed "Too Hot" and "Too Sexy" back when they were Too Much.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

joshtothemaxx posted:

YES.

You said super effeminate. A guy who wears pink feather boas and eye shadow, and wields a gun that shoots glitter is pretty darn effeminate.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

freeranger posted:

The Heart Throbs made a lot of sexual references, and also a caller called Booker T the n-word.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There was a tag team called The Dicks for a brief period, and the had a Chippendale gimmick. If you include the American Males, you have to include these guys.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
There's Yosuke Santa Maria in Dragon Gate who runs an exotico gimmick and is definitely femme.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
However homoerotic the American Males may have come across, they were meant to appeal to women, same as the Fabs.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Memento posted:

I know Steiner had a really bad ankle injury after his WWE run, and he constantly had bicep tears, but I can't remember anything specific from around that match.

I could swear the reason for all the posedowns and all that was because one of them wasn't cleared so they were stalling.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

There's a reason why whenever they do Raw/SD anniversary shows, the best of clips are always from the Attitude Era + Show/Lesnar breaking the ring.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sticklefifer posted:

I could swear the reason for all the posedowns and all that was because one of them wasn't cleared so they were stalling.

It might even have been HHH who wasn't cleared. I just checked Profight and before that match, he hadn't wrestled for over a month. There's literally zero mention of Scott Steiner on HHH's Wikipedia page, except to say that they won Worst Worked Match of the Year in the 2003 Observer Awards.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

oldpainless posted:

It gave us what will forever be my favorite JR call of all time:

"Buhgawd, those PUSH-UPS! Those intimidating push-ups... FROM THE BIG BAD BOOTY DADDY!" He knew the words were stupid before they left his lips but he put 110% into them regardless.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The video package before the Rumble match was also pretty great. It never ceases to amaze me what the promo team can slap together regardless of the build material.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Defiance Industries posted:

It gave us what will forever be my favorite JR call of all time:

"Buhgawd, those PUSH-UPS! Those intimidating push-ups... FROM THE BIG BAD BOOTY DADDY!" He knew the words were stupid before they left his lips but he put 110% into them regardless.

JR had a lot of fun with stupid material. There was that whole month when he got really excited about Skittles.
FRUITY! FRUITY! DELICIOUS! FRUITY! :bahgawd:

Memento posted:

It might even have been HHH who wasn't cleared. I just checked Profight and before that match, he hadn't wrestled for over a month. There's literally zero mention of Scott Steiner on HHH's Wikipedia page, except to say that they won Worst Worked Match of the Year in the 2003 Observer Awards.

Found a great detailed writeup of it on wreddit. The short version is they were both injured: Steiner was still gradually recovering from major foot surgery 6 months earlier, and HHH had partially torn his quad the previous month and had to be out of the ring for a few weeks.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

sticklefifer posted:

JR had a lot of fun with stupid material. There was that whole month when he got really excited about Skittles.

At Survivor Series 1999, he's having a blast saying SEXUAL CHOCOLATE". Go listen to it, cuz I am not doing it justice.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Found a great detailed writeup of it on wreddit. The short version is they were both injured: Steiner was still gradually recovering from major foot surgery 6 months earlier, and HHH had partially torn his quad the previous month and had to be out of the ring for a few weeks.

Yeah, and its not like the show could go on without HHH. Somehow, he bravely soldiered through it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Glamorama26 posted:

At Survivor Series 1999, he's having a blast saying SEXUAL CHOCOLATE". Go listen to it, cuz I am not doing it justice.

Grand Master Sex Eyyyyyy

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Grand Master Sex Eyyyyyy

Hahaha yes. JR will always have a pass with me because of how self aware he could be.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

sticklefifer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBAXWZ6vLRc

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
One thing to take away from the Triple H and Steiner feud, it's what gave us Evolution.

The first time all four of those guys came together was to beat down Big Poppa Pump. So something half decent came out of the feud at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
"WWE Live" events - are these basically just house shows or is this where they film stuff like Main Event/Superstars?