Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is a game by Spike Chunsoft that started out on the PSP as a Japan-only release back in 2010. It saw a sequel in 2012, along with a couple iOS/Android spin-offs. In 2014, NIS America released an English localization of this game and its sequel on the Playstation Vita with higher resolution art assets, a few quality of life improvements and some new extra postgame content. I will be playing the Vita version.

The game is a visual novel first and foremost but during certain sequences, there will be court trials that contain minigames. That's where the active gameplay comes from when you aren't making story choices.

As for a general plot, without getting into spoilers too much, some people have described the game as a mix between Battle Royale and Phoenix Wright. Now, I haven't seen or read Battle Royale, nor played any of the Phoenix Wright games, so I'll have to take their word for it. What I can say though, is that 15 high school students are trapped in a location and must kill each other to leave. Murders will occur, and it's your job to investigate the murders to find the culprit through the aforementioned court trial all while trying to discover a way to escape this nightmare.

A fair warning to anyone following the LP that has not seen the game before: There are a LOT of spoilers for this game out there online. Fan art, comics, reviews, even the official game artwork can reveal endgame spoilers if you're not careful. Even the names of the individual tracks on the OST can be spoilers. I would recommend to anyone that hasn't seen the game before do not Google anything about this game series at all. You do so at your own risk. There is also a new game in the series that has been out in Japan for a year but has just received an English localization out around this time too so be extra-cautious not to read anything Danganronpa-related because there are no guarantees that this game won't be spoiled in some way. It is almost five years old after all.

Originally, this LP had a no spoilers policy but as it progressed it became clear that most of the readers are familiar with the game. Therefore, the spoiler policy has been changed to allow spoilers behind black bars JUST FOR THIS GAME ONLY. Do not post about spoilers for the sequels, light novels, comics or animation. Just keep it reasonable. As usual, for those of you who don't know the game yet, speculation is fine and encouraged.

If you want to discuss the series in general, there is a series megathread over in Games you can post in.

This will be a hybrid LP. The majority of the game will be done in screenshot format with soundtrack prompts, but during certain sequences I will be supplementing the updates with video. The class trials especially will have lots of videos to go with them because they are completely voice-acted and I feel like something is lost if you can't hear the characters talk during them. All video links will be behind Polsy links to avoid as many spoilers as possible and denoted with :siren: emotes.

The game has a lot of spoken dialogue, as well as inner-thoughts and bolded words and phrases. As such, I'll be using normal, italicized and bolded text to represent those differences. When reading a conversation, if I have anything I need to say, I will preface my words with this image to let you know the game isn't talking at that moment:

I know there was another LP of this game years ago by orenronen that really gave exposure to this series on SA. In fact, his LP is where I learned of it. However, he LPed the original Japanese PSP release and translated it as he played the game. Now that we have both a Vita version and an official English localization, I felt like it would make for a good LP again. That, and I really enjoy this series and want to share that enjoyment with everyone else.

(spoilers) Orange Fluffy Sheep summarizes the Prologue and Chapter 1.
(spoilers) Kangra enlists some help spotting an inconsistency in Chapter 6's trial.

Prologue
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Chapter 1
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Chapter 2
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Free Time Roundup #1
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Free Time Roundup #2
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Free Time Roundup #3

Chapter 3
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Joke Update #1
Free Time Roundup #4
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Free Time Roundup #5
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Joke Update #2
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10

Chapter 4
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Free Time Roundup #6

Chapter 5
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Free Time Roundup #7
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Free Time Roundup #8
Part 8
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Free Time Roundup #9

Chapter 6
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12

Epilogue

Postgame Content
School Mode
Free Time Roundup #10
Free Time Roundup #11
Free Time Roundup #12
Free Time Roundup #13
Free Time Roundup #14
Free Time Roundup #15

Ultimate Extra Content

?????

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Welcome to Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.

: I'm FPzero, and I'll be taking everyone through this lovely, murderous game.

: We will be playing in English, on the Kind difficulty settings. (After Trial 1, the difficulty was raised to Mean because Kind was too boring.) The Mean settings make the trial sequences have more wrong answers to choose from. Even with more wrong answers, the correct answer will always stay the same. The Gentle settings outright remove certain gameplay elements from the trials in addition to giving you fewer wrong answers.

: With that, let's begin!

:siren: Click the image or here to watch the Introduction! :siren:

: A few quick notes here about how the game displays text and how I'll be writing the updates. White text is spoken dialogue and will be written in the updates as unformatted text, accompanied by a character portrait for clarity. Blue text are the Main Character's inner thoughts and will be written using italicized text. Yellow text are important words or phrases the game calls out and they will be written using bolded text. I will try to keep my interjections to a minimum during conversations.

The massive high school towers over all the other buildings in this bustling urban area. It's like the school stands at the center of the entire world.

It brings in top students from every field imaginable. A government-funded school of privilege. They say that if you come here and manage to graduate, you'll be set for life. With hundreds of years of tradition, it sends the cream of the crop into the work force every year. It was built to raise hope in the nation's future. Which makes Hope's Peak a pretty fitting name.

There are two things you need to attend this school... One, you have to already be attending high school. Two, you have to be the very best at what you do. No ordinary student could enroll here. The only way in is if you're scouted by the school itself.

And standing there at the gate of the ultimate school filled with the ultimate students...

...was me.

: Before we go any farther, I guess I should introduce myself. My name's Makoto Naegi.
: Voice Actor: Bryce Papenbrook

As you can see, I'm nothing but a hopelessly average high school student. Average on the outside, average on the inside.

I really don't have much going for me when it comes to grades, special abilities, even personality. I mean yeah, I have hobbies and stuff I like to do, but it's not like I'm a psychic or mutant or whatever. Like, if you asked me what my favorite song was, or my favorite movie or TV show... They'd all just be whatever's most popular at that particular moment. Even among the average, I'm completely average. So I can't even say I'm your "everyday hero" type. That's just who I am.

Anyway, I figure it's always good to introduce yourself right off the bat. But if I have any kind of "strong point," so to speak... I'd say I'm a little more gung-ho than other people.

I mean look at me. I'm completely ordinary, but still... Here I am, standing in front of the anything but ordinary Hope's Peak Academy.

: I still can't believe I'm standing here. I wonder if someone like me can survive in a place like this...

It's got this overwhelming presence...like it's trying to swallow me whole. But it's no wonder I would feel that way. What you have to understand is... Well, let me just tell you about the "preparation" I did last night to get ready for today.

Hope's Peak only invites those students who are the truly elite in their field. It's such a popular topic, there are threads online dedicated to talking about the school's attendees. So to prepare, I looked up some of the those threads. And all I saw was talk about "ultimate" students, who were way beyond your average high schooler.

For example, one incoming student is the "Ultimate Pop Sensation." I guess she's a high school girl who's also the lead singer for a pop group famous all over the country.

There's also the "Ultimate Baseball Star." He was the cleanup hitter for the national high school champs. Pro teams already have their eyes on him.

Then there's the "Ultimate Fashionista." She's been on the cover of tons of fashion magazines. She's what every high school girl wants to be.

Oh, and they mentioned the "Ultimate Biker Gang Leader." The scary thing is, he's the de facto leader of every biker gang in Japan. Gangs everywhere love the guy.

On top of that, there's the Ultimate Martial Artist, the Ultimate Fanfic Creator, the Ultimate Gambler, The Ultimate Swimming pro, the Ultimate Programmer, the Ultimate Clairvoyant, and then some. Reading that made me realize how totally powerless I was. It was the country's finest, top to bottom. I felt like a tame little house cat who'd wandered into a pride of lions.

But still, there was something I couldn't stop thinking about. You see, there were a few students who I couldn't find any info on, no matter how much I looked. With all those "ultimate" students, I'm the only one without any kind of worthwhile talent. But then, what about those other new students who didn't seem to pop up anywhere.

: Could they be just average students like me, without any talent or anything?

That thought was kind of encouraging. I mean, I know I don't have much in the way of personality. But beyond that, there's an even bigger issue... How did such an unbelievably average student like me get picked to come to this "ultimate" high school? I mean, I guess there *is* a reason... You just have to take one glance at the acceptance letter they sent me to see why.

"We recently held a lottery to select one ordinary student to attend our school. As a result, you have been selected, and we invite you to join us as the Ultimate Lucky Student."

They spelled it out plain as day--I got invited by pure luck. Honestly, I probably would have been better off just declining their offer. But after hearing how graduating was a "guarantee for success" later in life, I just couldn't say no.

But then, actually standing there in front of the school... I started to feel lost, like I didn't belong there. I could feel myself losing my nerve.

: But still...I can't just stand here in front of the gate forever...

Frozen in place, murmuring to myself, I looked down at the acceptance letter clutched in my hand. It said there'd be a meeting for all incoming students in the main hall at 8 a.m. The meeting still isn't for a little while, but...

: I should probably just head in. Yeah... Yeah, let's do this!

I gathered up all my determination and tried to act like I'd done this a million times before. And I took my first step towards the main hall...

: This is where we're supposed to meet, right? I guess I'm the first one here.

There's a really elegant clock over in the corner. It says it's 7:10 a.m. The meeting doesn't start until 8 o'clock. So there's still a full 50 minutes left. It makes sense nobody else would be here yet...

: I was so wound up, I got here way too early.

I have plenty of time before the meeting. Just standing around waiting isn't exactly... I should take a look around the school. Maybe that'll help me calm down a little.

: I *am* a student here now, so there shouldn't be any problem with me having a look around, right?

It'll help me kill some time, if nothing else. Trying to play it cool, I took my first step into Hope's Peak Academy. It was also my first step toward starting a new life at a new school. At least, that's what I was hoping for.

Music cuts out.

: What the--!?

But the instant I took that first step forward... My view became warped, twisted. It was like some kind of delusion, melting away and mixing together into something else. Spinning, mixing, melting away, then spinning again... And the next moment...

Everything went black.

That was how it all began... And how life as I knew it came to an end. At that point I should have realized...

The reason I was brought to Hope's Peak Academy wasn't because I had ultimate good luck.

It was so I could experience ultimate despair.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 18, 2016

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, a new DangitRonPaul LP.

I wish you luck, and hope you can turn this into something that will cause the paywall to be put in place again so we can get some interesting posts with people bitching about that! The other guy MADE the English translation of whatever ones he played or something like that, so people were forced to deal with it. Which was hilarious to watch the lengths they'd go to for DongleRomper. Do you think this will have that kind of clout?

Here's hoping you can come up with some sort of irresistible schtick like that.

God help you when you start having to deal with people if this turns out to be popular.....

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Looking foward to seeing what the english translation looks like, and its as good excuse as any to re-experiance this story. Good luck FPZ!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BMS posted:

Ah, a new DangitRonPaul LP.

I wish you luck, and hope you can turn this into something that will cause the paywall to be put in place again so we can get some interesting posts with people bitching about that! The other guy MADE the English translation of whatever ones he played or something like that, so people were forced to deal with it. Which was hilarious to watch the lengths they'd go to for DongleRomper. Do you think this will have that kind of clout?

Here's hoping you can come up with some sort of irresistible schtick like that.

God help you when you start having to deal with people if this turns out to be popular.....

I don't think it will be a big deal now. Back when orenronen did this game, you have to remember that his LP was, as far as I know, the only place to view the game in English, since the localizations were not happening at the time. This meant that it brought all sorts of people from the far reaches of the Internet to SA to read it, leading to the hyper-frenzy that occurred. Now that the games have been localized, people can get their DR fix in many places online, if not play it themselves. I'm really not worried about a posting frenzy or tumblr invasion in here.

I don't need clout or anything. I just want to show off the game again with the official translation. :)

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
It's been a while since the last LP, so this will be a good refresher. It'll also be interesting to see the localisation differences between this and orenronen's translation. Ultimate Luck!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
More DR! Awesome :) Will you be doing 2 afterwards?

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

FPzero posted:

I don't think it will be a big deal now. Back when orenronen did this game, you have to remember that his LP was, as far as I know, the only place to view the game in English, since the localizations were not happening at the time. This meant that it brought all sorts of people from the far reaches of the Internet to SA to read it, leading to the hyper-frenzy that occurred. Now that the games have been localized, people can get their DR fix in many places online, if not play it themselves. I'm really not worried about a posting frenzy or tumblr invasion in here.

I don't need clout or anything. I just want to show off the game again with the official translation. :)

There was those fancreated translations but they had...really weird titles. Weird titles that NIS America decided to pick up and make slightly less stupid. I was never a fan of "Ultimate" instead of "Super High School Level" especially when they took the single word (or at least short title) definitive thing they are and then elongates it to fill the space missing from "Super High School Level" you get when you change it to Ultimate", and even more that's weird when you consider this isn't a game where they have to match mouth flaps or anything like it's an anime so the whole thing is weird there as an excuse. Ultimate Pop Sensation (seriously, sensation? why not star at least) doesn't roll off the tongue as well as Super High School Level Idol.

Sure either or is equally stupid and corny and that's the point.

Also I think these releases were around the time people started criticizing NIS America for inclusion of EPIC MAYMAYS BRUH, so I'm a bit wary on that point too, but not enough to straight hate it.

It's a good reason to follow something I dropped before out of being side tracked by other poo poo.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

TCat posted:

Also I think these releases were around the time people started criticizing NIS America for inclusion of EPIC MAYMAYS BRUH, so I'm a bit wary on that point too, but not enough to straight hate it.

I'm sorry, what? I genuinely have no idea what this is referring to.

For the game itself, its passable. The dub isn't super stellar, but it works for what it is and some of the performances really surprised me. Both in a good way, and in a bad way. The dub for the second game is significantly better, but we will get there if/when we get there. The gameplay is serviceable, and the storyline and characters are all really fun. Incredibly insane and anime as hell, but really, really fun.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

TCat posted:

There was those fancreated translations but they had...really weird titles.

You mean like "Super Duper High School Luckster" :downs:?

The difference between calling them Super High School Level students vs Ultimates is that a SHSL Good Luck means that they are at a high enough level that they receive the title, whereas The Ultimate Good Luck is a statement instead of a title. It sort of fails with multiple people having that Ultimate skill, as the term Ultimate implies that they are the best at it, but SHSL doesn't have that weakness.

However, The Ultimate whatever is much easier to say that Super High School Level, since SHSL is based off of the term Super High Level, which is not commonly used in English works.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Been a while since Oren's LP, this'll be a neat refresher. I'm curious how the localizations compare.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also looking forward to seeing what the official English translation is like for this.

TCat posted:

Ultimate Pop Sensation (seriously, sensation? why not star at least) doesn't roll off the tongue as well as Super High School Level Idol.

I actually prefer the Ultimate bit and think it does roll off the tongue better than 'Super High School Level' noun. Think about it for a minute: it's an anachronistic exaggeration. These kids are the best in the nation at what they do, but only at the High School level. In Japan that levels pretty darn high compared to the same level in the States. Thus I'd bet the Ultimate translation is more for cultural than linguistic reasons.

I mean I had a hard time taking the game seriously during the intro and when the meat of the game got into motion I got unreasonably angry at the 'Super High School Level' phrase in certain places because it kept yanking me out of what was going on. Then the finale made it fit in the way that finale's/climaxes make all corny writing fit.

BlazeEmblem posted:

It sort of fails with multiple people having that Ultimate skill, as the term Ultimate implies that they are the best at it, but SHSL doesn't have that weakness.
I would say that it does have that weakness because of the 'High School Level' qualifier. It implies that there are other levels, of which there are higher levels (college, university, world etc.) and thus that they are not actually the best at what they are.

Ultimate has them share that top spot. Whereas a Super World Level Idol would be better than a Super High School Level Idol, with Ultimate there's just two Ultimate Idols. There's no implicit limitations on it.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 12, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh man, first page and we're already into translationchat. :allears: I'll opt to fume more quietly, but do you have a policy on whether or not it's fine, FP? Didn't see anything in the OP. Also seconding the sequel question.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ghostwoods posted:

More DR! Awesome :) Will you be doing 2 afterwards?

you monster! are you trying to kill FPzero?!?!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Re: Translation chat. Right now it's not bothering me, but if it becomes a problem then I'll address it. For the record, I like the choice of Ultimate over Super High School Level. Yeah, SHSL is more literal but I'm guessing it probably sounds better to say in Japanese than in English. Ultimate gets across an about-equivalent meaning in a single word.

Re: DR2. We're one update into this LP. It's on the table but let's wait and see how this one goes first.

I'll post the next update tomorrow. I'd like to go through the Prologue quickly so that we can get through the intro plot setup and to the actual interesting parts of the game.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
I'm less unsure about "ultimate" as I am about, well, almost anything that comes after it. I mean, I'm pretty sure "swimming pro" really isn't a thing people call other people. But Ultimate makes good enough sense, and is still a little goofy... And, frankly, we live in a universe where "Super Duper High School Luckster" was a possibility for our main character. So you know what? It's fine. It's good. I was pretty satisfied with the whole localization -- not perfect, but I don't need a localization team who would always produce work that suited my linguistic and artistic values perfectly at all moments to be happy.

I'm hoping to see people who don't know this game and don't feel like reading the archived LP, for quality speculating, and I'm especially hoping to see this LP do well and go on for the other stuff. So count me in, I promise to be quiet or find other things to talk about during most of the good crime-solving bits.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Huh. Having stuck around for the last LP, I'm seeing some stuff in the intro in a new light. Neato!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'll be following this LP, to see the differences between orenronen's translation and the official translation. I'm also curious about the quality of the voice acting, since those was always a highlight in the first LP.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, let's see what the English localization of Dongle Rapper has to offer.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: ............Nng?

: Wh-What...? Where am I?

I woke up with my head resting on top of a hard wooden desk. My body feels...heavy. It's pretty normal for me to zonk off in the middle of some boring class or whatever, but... What was I doing asleep here just now? This isn't a classroom I've ever been in before.

: What the heck is going on...?

: Welcome to Hope's Peak Academy! Firstly, we'd like to explain the basic controls. You can use the left stick to adjust your aim. You can also tap the touch screen to place the reticle. If you aim at an object you can interact with, you can press the X button or tap the screen... And presto! You'll investigate that object. Use the directional buttons or the L and R buttons to adjust your viewpoint. Why don't you try looking around the classroom?

: Welcome to the gameplay. As the tutorial text said, you can move the cursor to suspicious objects to examine them. It's not unlike an adventure game. Lots of objects are just there for flavor text.
: I'm recording this LP from a Playstation TV, so I don't have access to the touch controls the Vita version of the game allows for. This means I can't comment on how useful they are but I find using the analog stick to move the cursor to be no problem at all.

: When you move the cursor over something that you can examine, you'll see this line with a magnifying glass trail out from the object. Then just push X to see what it is.

It's a dangerous world we live in. I guess they have these to keep weirdos from just wandering in.

In any normal classroom, that's where a window should be. But it looks like some kind of metal plate has been bolted over it. And if I were to knock on it...
*Bang bang*

: Yup. Definitely metal. Thick, too. Very solid.

Wait, that's not what matters here. More importantly, why are there metal plates over the windows?

It was just after 7 when I first got here. Has it really been almost and hour since then?

The school *is* funded by the national government, so I guess it's not that weird to have TVs in here... Something feels...off. I wonder what it is...

: Alright, so the object on the desk is the most obvious thing we'd want to check. Let's see what it is.

That's the desk I fell asleep on. I can still see a line of drool I must have left there.

: I'll have to clean that up later...

: An orientation guide...? It's some kind of cheap-looking pamphlet. And there's something handwritten on it.

"The next semester is about to start. Starting today, this school will be your entire world."

: What the hell? Is this someone's idea of a joke?

: Okay, let's see. So what might have happened is...

I got myself so wound up, I passed out in the main hall. And then someone carried me here...? If that's true it must mean... This is a classroom inside Hope's Peak.

: But then if *that's* true...

That just raises more questions. This is all really strange. I mean, those metal plates covering the windows... It's like it's a prison or something. None of this makes any sense...

: I should probably head back to the main hall. It's already past the meeting time. There might be other students there now.
: You can leave the classroom by pressing the Circle button.
: So let's go see what the hallway looks like.

: Jeez... This hallway is kind of weird, too.

This is getting stranger by the second. I honestly have no idea what's going on...

: Well, for now I'll just head to the main hall...
: Use the left stick to move through the hallway. Hold down the Circle button while moving to run.

: Also, you can press the Triangle button to bring up a map. Press the Triangle button again to close the map. How convenient!
: The hallways are full 3D spaces. You can walk around in them to get to wherever you need to go. If I remember right, in the original PSP version, you couldn't run with Circle until you got a skill for it later on. This version doesn't do that and instead lets you run from the start. How convenient, indeed.

: So we started in classroom 1-A. There's also a classroom 1-B right over here, though we can't enter it right now.

"Despair Hotel"...? I guess it's a place for people to stay overnight. But anyway, I need to get to the main hall...!

: There are a variety of other doors around the area but they all give similar messages when you examine them. This open one in the middle of the hall is the door we're looking for.

By the time I got back to the main hall...everyone else was already there.

???: Whoa, hey! Another new kid?

: Huh? Then you guys are all...?

???: Yeah... We're all new here. Today's supposed to be out first day of class.

???: So counting him, that makes fifteen. Seems like a good cut-off point, but I wonder if this is everyone.
Standing before me were the "Ultimate Students" that had been hand-picked by the school. I looked around at everyone who'd gathered there, taking in their faces one at a time. Maybe I was just imagining it, but I swear I could feel a kind of aura coming from each of them...

: Um...how's it going? My name's Makoto Naegi. Sorry I'm late. A bunch of stuff happened, and then all of a sudden I was just...asleep.

: Whoa, you too?

: Things just keep getting curiouser and curiouser...

: So strange... I declare beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is a strange situation indeed!
: Um...what are you talking about? I honestly have no idea what's going on right now.

: Just a moment! There's something else we must address!

: Makoto! Your tardiness is unacceptable! Surely you were aware the meeting was to start at 8 a.m. sharp! To be late on your first day is unspeakable! I must report you, and you must accept your due punishment!

: What's your problem? It's not like he *wanted* to be late. He didn't have any control over it.

: Everyone just calm down! Listen, why don't we all go around and introduce ourselves?

: The hell!? Now's no time for friggin' introductions!

: Maybe, but it may be good to at least find out who we all are before digging into the bigger problems here. I mean, how are we even supposed to talk to each other if we do not know each other's names?

: That's a good point...

: Okay, so let's get introductions out of the way, then we can move on to whatever else. Sound good?

I'm still totally lost, but I think it's best to just focus on getting to know each other for now. So I guess this is as good a chance as I'm gonna get. I already looked everyone up on that Hope's Peak Academy thread online, but... I still don't really know what kind of people they actually are. Time to find out...

I'll start by talking to those five over there.

: Aim at a student and press the X button to talk to them. Each conversation is important to the overall story, so keep track of how they go.
: We will begin meeting people next time.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 18, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll start by talking to those five over there.

: For this update and the next two, I'll be providing a video of the full update if you wish to read/watch it that way instead. I won't be doing this often through the LP, but I figured this way you can get an idea of what each character sounds like as they voice act their names, as well as see how dynamic the conversations can get.
: There are a lot of portrait changes that occur, along with little voice clips that often accompany portrait changes. Additionally, there are other sound effects and flashes that occur to add emphasis to what characters or narration might be saying. Maybe this will help you understand what the player sees when they play the game themselves. I think it adds a lot to the game, especially since there's so much to read.

:siren: Click here to watch this update instead of reading it! :siren:

: I'm Kiyotaka Ishimaru. I believe in bold simplicity! Let's work together on our educational crusade!

: Voice Actor: Sean Chiplock

So that's Kiyotaka. According to what I saw about him on that thread... He went to a famous private school and won top honors every year. He's basically a flawless honor student... He's also known for the work he's done with his community's Public Morals Committee. They say he respects rules above all else, earning him the title of Ultimate Moral Compass.

: Anyway, you can call me Taka. You said your name was Makoto Naegi, right?

: That's a good name, a strong name! You should thank your parents for giving you such an excellent name.

: And to keep that name from losing its value, you must devote yourself every single day!

: Life is worth putting every ounce of effort into it! Right? Right!

This guy is...kind of annoying.

: N-not that you'll remember my n-name anyway, but...

: I'm T-Toko... Toko Fukawa.

: Voice Actress: Amanda Celine Miller

Yeah, she wrote a novel when she was ten that got everyone talking and launched her literary career. Then two years ago she released "So Lingers the Ocean," a love story said to be her masterpiece. The book was such a hit with women that fishermen quickly shot to the top of every "Hottest Men" poll.

Despite her age, she's won countless literary prizes and all her books are instant best-sellers. Which is why she's come to be known as the Ultimate Writing Prodigy. What else would you call such a young and talented author? But I figured she'd be a lovey-dovey type, what with her masterpiece being a romance and all...

: ...

: Wh-What? I-It's not polite to stare, you know.

: Stop staring at me like I'm some filthy creature!
: F-Filthy creature? No, I just thought--
: I-I know what you "just" thought...! You just thought you've n-never seen such an ugly woman. You just th-thought it was sooo funny...!
: N-No, that's not what I was thinking at all...

: Don't bother trying to l-lie to me! I know it's true. Otherwise, you... I know you can't stand looking at me!

: Wh-Whatever, I don't really care. I'm used to it.

Wow, talk about an inferiority complex. I was waaay off about what a successful author would be like.

: Hi, I'm Sayaka Maizono. I look forward to getting to know you!

: Voice Actress: Dorothy Elias-Fahn

The way she moves is positively mesmerizing. And the pleasant scent I can't quite place... Sayaka Maizono... When I saw her name in that thread online, frankly I was pretty surprised.

She's in a pop group famous across the country. In fact, she's their lead singer... As the Ultimate Pop Sensation, she's in high demand to appear on TV and in magazines everywhere. But actually, that's not the only reason I was so surprised to find out she'd be going to this school. I'm sure she doesn't remember, but... Well, never mind. No matter how you slice it, she's really beautiful. Almost like a doll or something...

: I'm not a doll, you know. I'm alive!
: Huh? Did you hear me!?

: I'm psychic.
: ...Huh?

: Kidding! I just have really good intuition.

She's a sharp one...

: Huh? Hey, by any chance...
: Now what?

: ...Yeah, it must be. I'm sure of it. Hey, Makoto. Did--

: Jeez, you guys! How long do you plan to waste our valuable time with this ridiculous back-and-forth!?

: S-Sorry. Just got carried away, I guess...
: Self-introductions are for introducing yourself, not bumbling through a bunch of idle chit-chat!
: Y-You're right.

: Sorry, Makoto... We can talk about this later.

It sounded like Sayaka really had something she wanted to say. But it's not like we'll never see each other again. Like she said, we can talk later.

: Yo! The name's Leon Kuwata. What's up?

: Voice Actor: Grant George

I recognize that name...

He played for the national high school champs as their cleanup hitter. The Ultimate Baseball Star... And that superb athletic specimen is...

: You? Seriously!?

: Huh? What's wrong?
: N-Nothing, I'm just...surprised. I figured with you being the Ultimate Baseball Star and all...
: What, were you expecting some kid with a shaved head?
: Shaved head...? No, I was just expecting more of a, you know, sporty-looking traditional baseball player type. I mean, when I found that article and picture of you online, that's how you looked then.

: What!? Aw man, you found that picture of me playing baseball? Seriously!? I hate that picture!

: This is not cool. This is SO not cool... Seriously, I'm like, mega embarrassed right now. I didn't have a choice, okay? Shaving you head like that is part of national championship regulations!

: But now I refuse to cut my hair. And I'm not gonna dye it back to normal either!

: Actually, can I be totally honest with you?

: I don't like baseball. Like, at all. I've never gone to a single practice.

He's never practiced, and he was still his team's star player? He's some kind of prodigy...

: And as soon as I got accepted here, I quit baseball for good! I have my own dream for the future!
: A dream...for the future?

: My only path in life is getting into music! You can feel that star-quality aura I have, right?

: I'm gonna be a singer, so all I need is a songwriter and someone on guitar, and we're set!

: This new version of me that's chasing after my dream is, like...super cool to the max!

I can't believe what I'm hearing. I never imagined I'd hear something like that from a baseball all-star...

: I...am Hifumi Yamada. But if you want to call me by my nickname, "The Alpha and the Omega!" I don't mind.

: Voice Actor: Lucien Dodge
: By the way, how much do you know about the world of 2D art?
: World of...2D?

: Well, in that world, I am well known and supremely well regarded as the Ultimate Fanfic Creator.

: I once sold 10,000 copies of one of my fan comics at a school festival. The event has passed into legend...

: Some of them didn't get it, of course, saying I'd "tainted" the event. How stupid can you be!?

That's too bad about them. But selling 10,000 copies like that is definitely pretty remarkable.

: The words of such idiots mean nothing to me. I am like Van Gogh--utterly underappreciated in my time. I am a soldier, serving night and day to destroy all mindless preconceptions about fan fiction. I'm sure if you were to observe my work, Mr. Naegi, you would comprehend its greatness immediately.

: For my work is filled with deepest meaning...
: What...what kind of meaning?

: It's about embracing our basest urges...

I don't think I want to comprehend it...

: Next time, we talk to these five.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 18, 2016

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Kinda fitting the timing of this, since Another Episode just released stateside, like, last week. Having heard about the series through the previous LP, and then playing it and the sequel (and now playing AE) since then.... gotta say I'll be interested in the reactions of those who don't know how this game can get.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

"Moral Compass?"

garbage translation, garbage game

(but seriously, thanks for doing all this work on a Let's Play, looks like you're really putting the effort in)

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I have never read the official translation of the game, so I guess I'll stick around.

I've talked about it several times in the past, but I can't stand reading my own version these days. It was my first attempt at translating anything at all, combined with the fact English isn't my native language and that I don't think I'm much of a writer, and the result doesn't read very well. Still, I'm still very much in favor of my ideas and attitude about how things should be translated, especially in a game like this which very much has a voice and was largely written by a single person who can actually write prose pretty well. But nevertheless, before I say anything else, let me say this translation flows very well so far. The translator clearly knows how to write and doesn't fall into any of the classic awkward English that far too often results from a too literal translation of Japanese syntax and idioms.

We still haven't got to my single largest gripe about this translation (which, as far as I can tell, it was mandated from above), but here are comments on what has been discussed so far.

SHSL vs. Ultimate: I still defend my version. The main thing about this is that it sounds ridiculous in Japanese too, especially as we get into higher concept stuff later in the game and series that still slap that title on top of things that most certainly don't fit it, and where "Ultimate" sounds just about right. It's a broad joke in Japanese that gets funnier the more it is used, and I think a translation should attempt to keep that. The series later expands the joke with "Super Elementary School Level"s in AE - can someone let me know how that's handled in the translation?

Titles: I think the phenomenon of the Japanese idol culture is well known enough in the west (and especially among the prime target audience for this game) that they should've just kept it, but that's a fairly mild change. The one that's far more interesting is Gyaru -> Fashionista. It's actually very clever, and an excellent choice if I thought translations should hide specific cultural artifacts from readers. It's certainly worlds better than that other translation group's Supermodel, which completely misses the point of what a Gyaru actually is. I have complicated feelings about this, though, as my thoughts about translation in general tend more toward subtly explaining foreign culture in an unobtrusive manner instead of deleting it.

I don't really like how they handle the characters' names here for much the same reason.

I can keep commenting if people want me too, but let me know if it's too obtrusive and I'll be happy to just watch from the sidelines.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

orenronen posted:

The series later expands the joke with "Super Elementary School Level"s in AE - can someone let me know how that's handled in the translation?

Lil' Ultimate Art/P.E./Drama/Social Studies/Homeroom

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

orenronen posted:

I can keep commenting if people want me too, but let me know if it's too obtrusive and I'll be happy to just watch from the sidelines.

I hope you do, I'm glossing over parts of the updates since I know the plot but hearing translation stuff always makes me happy! :peanut:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Please feel free to comment about it as much as you'd like. I have no problem with this sort of translation talk because I don't really have any frame of reference when it comes to translations and how certain translations make more sense than others. It's also been a long time since I read the original LP (and I'm trying not to because I want this LP to be "my own" if you know what I mean) so I don't remember how 90% of the game was translated there as opposed to the official localization.

Like for instance, I didn't know that Super High-School Level was an intentionally silly name to go along with that broad joke you mentioned. In that context it makes sense for SHSL to be the translation except that I don't think we have an exact equivalent joke here in the west. I know that from the beginning I thought SHSL was a little too silly so when I saw Ultimate was the title the localization went with I was much happier. It's all about cultural context I suppose.

And yeah, in AE the elementary titles are "Li'l Ultimate." Though AE is a whole other topic that we shouldn't talk about in here since well, its basic plot spoils major parts of this game. Also I'm not particularly fond of it but that's a story for the megathread.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Trivia: There's at least one officially licensed item of DR2 merchandise in Japan that says "Super High-school Level" on the box. I believe it's from before the official translation was released, but it must have been when it was already in the works. Of course, it's a fairly direct translation of the Japanese term, so I have no idea if my LP was an influence or not.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I too am interested in comments, since I agree that the original game definitely was written by someone who knew how to write effectively.

Hall Monitor vs. Moral compass is a stretch but I never had one in my schools growing up (and only found out about them via the japan version) so I can see why that was done even if it would have been better to keep it the same.

FPzero posted:

Like for instance, I didn't know that Super High-School Level was an intentionally silly name to go along with that broad joke you mentioned. In that context it makes sense for SHSL to be the translation except that I don't think we have an exact equivalent joke here in the west. I know that from the beginning I thought SHSL was a little too silly so when I saw Ultimate was the title the localization went with I was much happier. It's all about cultural context I suppose.
The same. I'm trying to think of an equivalent sort of joke and there really isn't one that gets better with each retelling without some sort of non-verbal tweak to it. This game took too long to slap that on the high-concept stuff for me to cotton onto the joke.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think what they were going for with Moral Compass was more about how Taka exemplifies the highest moral standards. He's the one that sets the best example and tries to lead people. Since hall monitors aren't as big in the West as they are in Japan, I suppose the localization chose to emphasize the morals part more than anything else. Honestly, I think it works out well enough, even if the title does sound a little silly.

orenronen posted:

Trivia: There's at least one officially licensed item of DR2 merchandise in Japan that says "Super High-school Level" on the box. I believe it's from before the official translation was released, but it must have been when it was already in the works. Of course, it's a fairly direct translation of the Japanese term, so I have no idea if my LP was an influence or not.

What I've always been curious about is whether or not your LP had an effect on Spike Chunsoft's decision to bring the series over to the West. Before they announced they were bringing it over, I remember everyone felt like there was no chance the series ever make its way over here. If your LP played no role, perhaps it was the relative success of the Zero Escape series and other titles like them over here that helped their decision.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Cool, it's Dangan Ronpa again. It'll be interesting to see how the official translation differs from the one we know from the LP a few years back.

I think what really helped this get an official localization was the Vita re-release. By the time western fans started showing interest in the series(thanks to the LP), the PSP was pretty much dead in the water over here. But once the game was on a system people actually had, they could justify the cost of an official translation.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Has there been information released on how well the localisations have sold? Because the notion of the Vita not being as dead of a system as the PSP is a foreign one to me but I'd love to be wrong since I'm fond of the Vita itself.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Has there been information released on how well the localisations have sold?

Yes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Once again, for these introductions, you can watch the whole update in video form to get a feel for how the characters sound and act when you play the game.

:siren: Click here to watch this whole update! :siren:

Okay, now to talk to those five people over there.

: Name's Mondo Owada. Nice to fuckin' meetcha.

: Voice Actor: Keith Silverstein

Mondo Owada, huh? Which means...

He's the current leader of the largest biker gang in Japan. He's earned respect, ever awe, from every gang in the country. He's the Ultimate Biker Gang Leader...

: ...Umm...Nice to meet you, too.

: Hell yeah.

I'd better be careful around him. One wrong word and I could wake up at the bottom of the sea...

: Hiii! I'm Junko Enoshima. Charmed, I'm sure!

: Voice Actress: Amanda Celine Miller

Anybody would recognize this one...

She's got more charm and presence than any high school girl in the country. She's the Ultimate Fashionista. I've seen her on tons of magazine covers, but...

: I feel like that doesn't quite match up to reality.

: Huh...?

: Oh, are you talking about my cover photos and junk?

: Ahaha, well of course! Those are totally photoshopped.
: Photoshopped...?
: Yeah, you know--edited to hell and back. With like, computers and junk?
: Oh, so they aren't real...

: Come on, don't act so surprised! You're gonna make me all depressed.

: It's totally normal these days to photoshop the crap out of cover photos. If you're surprised by that, you'd be totally blown away by a certain dangerous little diva of ours...

: They make the eyes and junk super big, and tweak the skin so it looks all ceramic and porcelain.
: Oh...

So many dreams are getting crushed today...

: Um... Can I ask you your name?

: ...My name is...Kyoko Kirigiri.

: Voice Actress: Erica Harlacher

She's pretty tight-lipped, huh? Oh but you know... Her name didn't show up anywhere in that Hope's Peak Academy thread.

And I did see that there were students like me... Ones who didn't have any real identity or presence. Could this girl be one of them...?

: Um, so...what are you doing at this school?

: What's that supposed to mean?
: No, I just meant... Getting invited here means you're some kind of "ultimate" something, right? So what ultimate something are you?

: ...Why should I tell you?
: Huh...? Well...I guess you don't have to tell me.

: No, I *don't* have to tell you. So I'm not going to.

Nothing about her turned up online, so I was thinking maybe she got picked by chance like me, but...

Her face is like an iron mask. If she doesn't want to tell me anything, no point in asking.

: Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Chihiro Fujisaki...

: Voice Actress: Dorothy Elias-Fahn
: Sorry, I get kinda embarrassed whenever I introduce myself like this...

: Anyway, I hope we can get along...
: Same here. Nice to meet you.

: ...Huh? Maybe it's just my imagination, but...have we met before?
: Um, I don't think so. We just met for the first time. Which is why I said "nice to meet you."

: Oh, yeah. Good point. Sorry...
: Y-You don't have to apologize for that.

: Oh, yeah...

Chihiro Fujisaki is known for all the cutting-edge programs she's created. She's the Ultimate Programmer. She's also got that timid little bunny type thing going, which has endeared her to her legion of fans.

: Hey, so listen...

: I-I'm really sorry.
: Huh? What are you apologizing for now?
: Well, just cuz...you seem upset. You must be mad at me, right?
: No, not at all! I was just lost in thought about something.

: Huh? Lost in thought...?
: Yeah! It had nothing to do with me being upset or anything.

: Oh, that's good. I was afraid maybe you didn't like me.

: Hehe... I'm glad!

...I'm starting to understand why her fans are so into her...

: Heya! I'm Aoi Asahina! But my friends just call me Hina. 'Sup?

: Voice Actress: Cassandra Morris

Aoi Asahina... She's been breaking records in every competition she's been in since elementary school. She's even been chosen as an upcoming Olympic cadet. She is, without a doubt, the Ultimate Swimming Pro. The combination of her ability, appearance, and, um... proportions has been widely discussed online...

: So uh...what was your name again? Sorry, totally forgot!
: Makoto Naegi.

: Oh yeah, I knew it was something like that!
: No, not "something" like that. It *is* that...
: Sure, sure, got it! Here, I'll hammer it into my brain right now!

: Makoto...Naegi... Makoto...Naegi...

She just kept repeating my name and moving her finger across her palm like she was writing something...

: What are you doing?

: You don't know? If you wanna remember someone's name, you gotta write it on your hand three times!
: I've never heard of that before in my life...

: Hey, by the way...how do you spell your last name?
: You spell it exactly like it sounds.
: Umm......

: Well, I have no idea. Hahaha! I'll just figure it out later and write it down.

: Anyway, glad to meet ya!
: S-Sure, same here...

Well, one thing I learned is she's totally easygoing and bursting with energy.

: Next time, we meet the last four students.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 18, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FPzero posted:

I think what they were going for with Moral Compass was more about how Taka exemplifies the highest moral standards. He's the one that sets the best example and tries to lead people. Since hall monitors aren't as big in the West as they are in Japan, I suppose the localization chose to emphasize the morals part more than anything else. Honestly, I think it works out well enough, even if the title does sound a little silly.

Shoula called him the "Teacher's Pet".

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I never thought I'd see this series here again. After the big popularity explosion things had gotten kinda crazy. Kinda feels the series squandered potential after the first title. Good luck with the LP!
I think they used a couple newcomers to voice acting when dubbing this game, and while some of them are kinda shaky, I feel a lot have also had a big break since then.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'm sorry, what? I genuinely have no idea what this is referring to.
NISA, the localization company, had a track record of "over localizing". That is, not just liberally translating and localizing word play, but inserting internet memes and changing dialogue outright. Up until 2014, they had one rather wild editor in particular who had gone on record as stating that if he feels he has a better idea of what a character should act like, then he will rewrite that character even if it involves changing 'a few things' here and there. I believe he described it as "An inability to restrain creative urges". Even the rest of the company thought he went too far. The most notable example was one JRPG character whose entire last name was changed from Esty Airheart to Esty Dee (get it, because STDs are funny).
Basically they have a pretty dubious reputation when it comes to fidelity and respect to the source material, but supposedly Kadokawa (the publisher) are more strict with them and they've straightened their act since then. EDIT: The Kadokawa thing might have been a separate incident, but regardless I think Spike revised their script and forced some changes.

HGH fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 14, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Shoula called him the "Teacher's Pet".

I kind of feel like Ultimate Role Model might have been the best option, all things considered.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's interesting to meet the gang again. I kinda forgot what they all were like.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

RickVoid posted:

I kind of feel like Ultimate Role Model might have been the best option, all things considered.

I thought Role Model might work too but the key difference is that he enforces people to follow the rules instead of inspiring them to do so. It doesn't quite fit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That's funny, the "Owie Asahina" is my signature wrestling finisher (I always wondered how you pronounced "Aoi"...)

Jokes aside, I'll go on record as saying that I was way into the last LP of this game, if only because I love me some huge, complex plots. I figure it's been long enough where I can safely revisit this one.

• Locked thread