Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I finally got my silenced tranquilizer sniper rifle. I have seen the light.

Time to plow through the story missions? If I beat all the main missions, will I be able to keep playing to unlock all the guns and beat all the optional stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Romes128 posted:

I was the one retaliating because he failed to infiltrate my base first. he can retaliate a retaliation? huh

oh well, he lasted 4 minutes in my base, and didn't steal anything, so i'm not worried.

how do you make nukes? i got the notification that i can but i don't see it in any menu's.

Enemies get a revenge wormhole if you make their dudes go on combat alert I'm pretty sure.

Also you make a nuke by spending a billion of every resource. It's purchase-able on the Resources menu, I think on the last time. Good luck hoarding the mats for it. Also it gives you 50k demon points so watch out.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kiggles posted:

The cycle of revenge. I'll laugh if that guy was just sort of softballing and trying to stealth for some resources but you changed the dialog to be as loud as possible.

that's awesome.

there seems to be a ton of people on the xbone, so i just keep randomly invading and stealing. he was the first one to ever invade me.

Zodack posted:

Enemies get a revenge wormhole if you make their dudes go on combat alert I'm pretty sure.

Also you make a nuke by spending a billion of every resource. It's purchase-able on the Resources menu, I think on the last time. Good luck hoarding the mats for it. Also it gives you 50k demon points so watch out.

drat. that sounds like a lot. gently caress the nuke then, im just gonna keep invading loud and stealing poo poo.

edit-

found it on the resources menu. 75k fuel and 50k minor metal to make one.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 14, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Mogomra posted:

I finally got my silenced tranquilizer sniper rifle. I have seen the light.

Time to plow through the story missions? If I beat all the main missions, will I be able to keep playing to unlock all the guns and beat all the optional stuff?

There is no point of no return kind of deal like in previous MGS games, I confirm

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Alan Smithee posted:

Miller to a room of hundreds: "How do I know you're not all spies?!?!"

Ocelot: "How do I know you're not a spy"

Miller: *grumble*

miller is such a fuckin pussy and i'm glad liquid kills him in a decade's time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So is there any advantage to the stun arm other than looking really loving cool? It seems to knock people out for way less time than choking them out or putting them to sleep and you have to get within CQC range to do it anyways.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Third or fourth in-game existing reachable ending hinted about by Konami CM Rob "oh god don't let Fat Miller contact me again" Peeler. Hurm

PantsBandit posted:

So is there any advantage to the stun arm other than looking really loving cool? It seems to knock people out for way less time than choking them out or putting them to sleep and you have to get within CQC range to do it anyways.

It can do a whole bunch of targets at the same time if they are bunched up, but once I get Jehuty it's always Jehuty for a left hand.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

DID YOU KNOW THIS GAME WAS CREATED AND DIRECTED BY HIDEO KOJIMA

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Romes128 posted:

drat. that sounds like a lot. gently caress the nuke then, im just gonna keep invading loud and stealing poo poo.

edit-

found it on the resources menu. 75k fuel and 50k minor metal to make one.

I mean yeah but if someone invades you and doesn't steal and disarm your nuke you can retaliate with it and I'm pretty sure destroy all their FOB platforms and kill all the people who are staffing it, as well as destroying all the containers. Something absurd like that.

EDIT: Just got codename: Octopus from a mission where I got so fed up with sneaking (It's the film canister mission from later in the game) that I went max nuclear with D-Walker and just gatling gun'd everyone

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any non-lethal way to take out a helicopter? I'm a no-kills nerd but there's "eliminate the vehicles" type side ops where the helicopter is counted as a target. I've even tried hitting it with a Ballista and it doesn't activate.

Edit: also on the nuke topic, if you go and disarm someone's nuke, can they just make another one and nuke you with that? Or can someone who didn't have a nuke previously develop and retaliate with one?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 14, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
What does Heroism do? I know it's tied to your score, you get more for completing missions a Cristin way, but what exactly am I getting from it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Tried some FOB invasions and oh god I have never seen so many bullets

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

SLOSifl posted:

Oh man, the (late-game fulton upgrade) wormhole is amazing. Changes the whole game as far as prisoner extractions go. D-Dog will just run into rooms and do it.

Wait, DD can extract people?

I'm trying to max bonding with Quiet, but I have a hard time getting used to her. DD is too :3:. His constantly at your side, talks to you more and spots everyone.

Quiet sits somewhere and doesn't even follow you if you stray too far.

Sylink posted:

Source please.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Sold my small turrets and mortars, saw no difference at my FOB. Sold the large AA setups and checked again, the FOB was without them. Oops.

Metanaut posted:

You need a little document pickup, a first aid manual to develop that thing.

e: Heroism 300k+ = bathing in S rank soldiers, having to reject anybody without S rank

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Panfilo posted:

What does Heroism do? I know it's tied to your score, you get more for completing missions a Cristin way, but what exactly am I getting from it?

As your heroism goes up, so do the quality of random mooks you find. At 150,000 you reach Hero status and can invade nuclear equipped FOBs to disarm them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Metanaut posted:

Maybe by "do it" he means the do it stun command...

If DD has some kind of solo extraction then Lassie and all Saint Bernards are out of a job.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Spikeguy posted:

Picked this game up, loving it. Question though, when you abduct enemy troops to join your army, how are you convincing them to work for you? Are they just psyched to fight for the greatest soldier of all time, or is torture involved off screen and not being mentioned?

You have already put too much thought into this game.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I like to think that at a certain point in the game, all the soldiers in the field are just trying to look good at what they do in the hopes that you happen upon their base and fulton them away to your army.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Max posted:

I like to think that at a certain point in the game, all the soldiers in the field are just trying to look good at what they do in the hopes that you happen upon their base and fulton them away to your army.

I like the thought that in their off hours the soldiers are desperately studying medical texts trying to bump themselves up to a B.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spikeguy posted:

Picked this game up, loving it. Question though, when you abduct enemy troops to join your army, how are you convincing them to work for you? Are they just psyched to fight for the greatest soldier of all time, or is torture involved off screen and not being mentioned?

Its explained in some tapes early on.

Basically Big Boss is the most awesome soldier in the world, and every soldier out there would jump at the chance to work for him because of his successes during the events of Snake Eater and Peace Walker. But very few people know what he actually looks like, so to them you're just some rear end in a top hat invading their base. When they get ballooned to Miller and Ocelot, they're like, "Yeah, this is the new MSF and Big Boss in charge, you in?" and almost all agree. Some are thrown into the brig and "convinced" to join. That's why you also get volunteers every so often.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
If I FOB support someone and I defend him, does the attacker know my identity? I want to defend but not to be known, I'm a pussy and I don't want retaliation.

I wanna keep my precious fuel!

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Also what the hell is this PF point thing? I went in and apparently I won a battle and lost a battle and this all happened while I....was completely unaware what any of this is

If you go into the PF Grade screen and press a button you can trade your points in for big stacks of fuel and poo poo

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Maybe by "do it" he means the do it stun command...

If DD has some kind of solo extraction then Lassie and all Saint Bernards are out of a job.
No, DDog can extract with the tactical dog costume. With the upgrade I mentioned, you can fulton...uh...differently, and so can ddog.

If you really didn't know this then prepare to re-find your love for DDog.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 14, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, anyone know if the combat ranking of the mooks you assign to your FOB matters yet? I've seen some people say it doesn't, while other claims it does. The fact that you can specifiy which rank should be the baseline to deploy tells me that it probly does to some extent, otherwise that option would be completely pointless.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

So, anyone know if the combat ranking of the mooks you assign to your FOB matters yet? I've seen some people say it doesn't, while other claims it does. The fact that you can specifiy which rank should be the baseline to deploy tells me that it probly does to some extent, otherwise that option would be completely pointless.

Now that every guard in the world is A and S rank they seem to be a gently caress of a lot better at shooting me to death than they were when I started the game. Or maybe I'm imagining it.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
it apparently has to do with their ai and how effective they are at aiming/taking cover/moving out of the way of grenades, etc.

edit: wrt cover/dodging 'nades, it's seemingly two different things because fuckers will go into cover when you shoot at them, but throw a grenade and the dumb shits just go "oh lol he just threw something"

spaceships fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 14, 2015

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So late gamey spoilered questions...

Mission 43: Can I just emblem my way into Quiet staying, do whatever I feel like, then remove the emblem and play out the rest normally to get 100%? Like does it mess up the game doing that? There seem to be conflicting bits of info.

Now that the base is fully upgraded, should I spend the fuel developing a nuke? Aside from apparently enabling permanent Demon Mode does it actually do or unlock anything?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

MrLonghair posted:

Sold my small turrets and mortars, saw no difference at my FOB. Sold the large AA setups and checked again, the FOB was without them. Oops.

I've been holding on to all of those...mortars, machine guns, gun emplacements. So, the mortars and machine guns are OK to sell, but the emplacements are persistent in game?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I've been holding on to all of those...mortars, machine guns, gun emplacements. So, the mortars and machine guns are OK to sell, but the emplacements are persistent in game?

The weapons show up on your FOB and MB. Keep the weapons. Keep one or two of each vehicle though and sell the rest.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Fully upgraded Pequod is very expensive and stupidly quick, like it seems to be moving in fastforward.
When you are inside though the speed doesn't seem to change.

The problem is that even requesting a supply drop for the dumbest gun cost 31k.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I've developed two weapons that use rubber bullets, can I use them to break lights?
I'm guessing some side objectives are meant for later run throughs, I've got a the first two vehicle destruction missions but have yet to get upgrade that'll let me take them instead.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
SELECT -> OPTIONS -> SOUND SETTINGS -> AUDIO GUIDANCE OFF

Now your iDroid will shut the gently caress up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sylink posted:

Starring:

Red Shirts

Banana Republic Commandos

Jean Claude Van Damme

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tempo 119 posted:

If you go into the PF Grade screen and press a button you can trade your points in for big stacks of fuel and poo poo

Really now...

is there any point to hoarding them?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Krogort posted:

When you are inside though the speed doesn't seem to change.

I think that's a disguised loading screen

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The last fulton upgrade adds a fun way to get extra heroism. Hold up guards, interrogate them, then shoot them in the knee or lower with a low caliber gun. Sending them to motherbase while they're wounded gives you an extra 30 heroism and is quite funny if you're doing it to an entire base at once. Large caliber guns will just kill them. The game must assume it just blows their leg off. Using the S1000 Slug is hilarious because you can kill a man with a toe shot depending on range.

This is probably only useful for people like me that get distracted by every single outpost on their way to side-ops. Running missions and combat deployment is way faster for heroism.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

SELECT -> OPTIONS -> SOUND SETTINGS -> AUDIO GUIDANCE OFF

Now your iDroid will shut the gently caress up.

What about miller

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Romes128 posted:

Its explained in some tapes early on.

Basically Big Boss is the most awesome soldier in the world, and every soldier out there would jump at the chance to work for him because of his successes during the events of Snake Eater and Peace Walker. But very few people know what he actually looks like, so to them you're just some rear end in a top hat invading their base. When they get ballooned to Miller and Ocelot, they're like, "Yeah, this is the new MSF and Big Boss in charge, you in?" and almost all agree. Some are thrown into the brig and "convinced" to join. That's why you also get volunteers every so often.

A lot of the mercenary forces are led or run by the guys who didn't get blown up when Mother Base got destroyed too, and they won't stop talking about how badass Big Boss is and how they need nukes too because Big Boss had one.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ZenVulgarity posted:

What about miller

He's coming too? Roger that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
For some reason, every Side Op I do gives me 5000 bonus Heroism now. I get the normal 200-300, but then I get 5000 extra on top of that, and I have no idea why. It's rocketed my total heroism over 500k.

• Locked thread