Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched the finale to M*A*S*H. I didn't think I'd make it through all 11 seasons, but it was worth it. One thing surprised me was how the last two seasons were really good. Lots of the best episodes. Would anyone be interested in a dedicated thread?

I started in on that a few months ago, but ended up watching other shows for a while. I might have to pick that back up knowing it keeps going strong; the sheer amount of episodes kind of put me off trying to get through it all. Alan Alda has a really smarmy face and voice that really lends itself to the style of humor of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched the finale to M*A*S*H. I didn't think I'd make it through all 11 seasons, but it was worth it. One thing surprised me was how the last two seasons were really good. Lots of the best episodes. Would anyone be interested in a dedicated thread?

I've seen mash about four times, but I'm not really sure I'd be interested in a dedicated thread. I mean, obviously I think it's a fantastic show, but what's there really to talk about? Aside from BJs moustache I mean.

edit for binge content: Just ran through "the staircase" snd the sequel two days ago, only 10 episodes/hours all in all. It's a documentary about a murder/accident case that follows both the family of the accused at home and the legal battle. Started hard, then went insanely slow, but it somehow ended up being both gripping and a little devastating. Reading about it afterwards, this is the show Sarah Koenig at this american life watched while considering how to do "Serial" the podcast and it shows, it's much more like Serial than, say, The Jinx. At only 10 hours its a short binge, but it can be dense with legalese etc. recommended tho.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 12, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

FELD1 posted:

I started in on that a few months ago, but ended up watching other shows for a while. I might have to pick that back up knowing it keeps going strong; the sheer amount of episodes kind of put me off trying to get through it all. Alan Alda has a really smarmy face and voice that really lends itself to the style of humor of the show.

You watch other shows during the day/evening and then you wind down with two or three episodes before going to bed. If you watch like 10 episodes in a row you'll drown in 70s charm, thats how I've felt everytime I've gone through it anyway. If you don't own it, I'd recommend you buy the boxset because there's no laughtrack.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dollhouse got good, I promise.

It absolutely didn't. Dollhouse was cancerous poo poo leaking out of a pale, cracked, weeping arsehole. Start to finish. I would go so far as to say that Dollhouse was the worst scifi programme in recent years because of the squandered premise, the execrable lead actor, and the wasted supporting cast. I can't think of another recent scifi that was quite as pathetically tawdry and hypocritical in its pandering as Dollhouse was either.

It's the Newsroom of scifi, but with more skin-crawling fan-service.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 12, 2015

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
What happened to Community? I really loved it at first, and didn't realize do many others felt that things went of the rails.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ghostwritingduck posted:

What happened to Community?

Goons watched it.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
^^^^ yup, but don't let us goons destroy it. It's fun and extremely bingeable. Rule #1 of binging is don't stop to think, just watch.

ghostwritingduck posted:

What happened to Community? I really loved it at first, and didn't realize do many others felt that things went of the rails.

Some do, some don't. Have you seen it all the way through? The creator wasn't on board for season 4, a lot of people, me included, think that season is completely unwatchable, others prefer it over the other 6 seasons. The show starts hemorrhaging actors in later seasons, but I still enjoyed it all the way to the yahoo end.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 12, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gay dean, gay dean, gay dean gay deeeeeeean

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

prinneh posted:

You watch other shows during the day/evening and then you wind down with two or three episodes before going to bed. If you watch like 10 episodes in a row you'll drown in 70s charm, thats how I've felt everytime I've gone through it anyway. If you don't own it, I'd recommend you buy the boxset because there's no laughtrack.

The only time the laugh track was not used was during scenes in the OR.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seasons 3, 5, and 6 of Community are really good, they're just not the same thing at all, not even in relation to each other.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 12, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Mister Kingdom posted:

The only time the laugh track was not used was during scenes in the OR.

yes yes, because it was not dignified and hence the episode "OR" that takes place completely in the OR so no laughs, it was a protest by the mash team against the canned laughter, I know. But on the DVDs, you can turn off the laugh track completely and it's a much, much better viewing experience was what I was trying to say.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

prinneh posted:

yes yes, because it was not dignified and hence the episode "OR" that takes place completely in the OR so no laughs, it was a protest by the mash team against the canned laughter, I know. But on the DVDs, you can turn off the laugh track completely and it's a much, much better viewing experience was what I was trying to say.

Oh, I know. It was just a heads up to those who only watch it on TV.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Mister Kingdom posted:

Must have misunderstood you, keep on binging goon sir :D

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Getting back into my Barney Miller marathon.

It's held up quite well despite some cultural references. The only thing that might not go over well today is that they featured a recurring gay character, albeit of the "swishy" variety common to the era.

The middle seasons just after Fish left were the best imo. It's one of the best TV shows ever made. Though I will pretty much always watch anything starring ugly white guys in grimy 70s NYC.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Alain Post posted:

The middle seasons just after Fish left were the best imo. It's one of the best TV shows ever made. Though I will pretty much always watch anything starring ugly white guys in grimy 70s NYC.

Fish's "I'm old and have to use the bathroom a lot" bit gets old real quick. It was one of the better 70s shows, but I think it gets overlooked.

Tormance
Jan 1, 2011

There you see Arcturus,
and Tormance is its one inhabited planet.
I'm halfway through season 2 of The 100 and it's pretty terrible.

I saw people talking about it in this thread so I decided to give it a shot. I think this is a case of goons being desperate for science fiction on television while getting off on characters who are "morally gray" (inconsistent writing + torture, mass murder, and human experimentation).

I really wanted this show to get good, but it doesn't. It's like a cheap knockoff of The Hunger Games (books I read and kind of enjoyed) with more teenagers, more conflicted feelings, laughably evil bad guys, and a backstory that makes no sense (100 years after nuclear war, Americans still living on Earth and speaking English have invented a whole new primitive-like language for some reason).

Only watch this show if you're desperate to see what's up with modern science fiction television and you hate yourself.

Mr. Robot was great though.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have to thank this thread for putting Mr Robot in my ear. I saw a commercial for it a few times but didn't give it a second thought... But thanks to you gentlegoons and a fit of boredom I decided to watch the first episode and now I'm hooked. So, thanks!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since I was picking up Mulholland Drive when it comes out on Criterion I decided to take a gander through other Lynch stuff since surprisingly I had never actually seen any somehow. This has naturally led to binging Twin Peaks, might as well in preparation for the new season.

Thoughts about 4 episodes in: I did not expect it to be as funny as it is. It's quite amusing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEuRWLgWMjo

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have to thank this thread for putting Mr Robot in my ear. I saw a commercial for it a few times but didn't give it a second thought... But thanks to you gentlegoons and a fit of boredom I decided to watch the first episode and now I'm hooked. So, thanks!

Friends and goons alike have mentioned this show, and I even asked about it earlier, but I still keep finding myself saying "not now" whenever I come across it.

Tell me this: is it serious? Funny? Dark? What kind of tone is the show?

VV I too would like to know this. Is it similar to House of Lies? I like House of Lies. VVV

Shadow fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 14, 2015

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

My brother has been nagging me to watch Suits, but I'm dragging my feet on it... is it worth it? I watched an episode or two and it's okay, but just looking to see if it gets amazing.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Shadow posted:

Friends and goons alike have mentioned this show, and I even asked about it earlier, but I still keep finding myself saying "not now" whenever I come across it.

Tell me this: is it serious? Funny? Dark? What kind of tone is the show?

There's definitely very little funny about Mr Robot, but it is compelling with some mystery and multiple, well-paced storylines. It's a bit dark, psychotic rather than psychopathic, involving conspiracy, vigilantism, crime, and hacking that refreshingly relies a lot on human weak points rather than frantically typing away on a keyboard.

It slightly reminds me of Utopia in terms of tone, but without the Britishness, gratuitous violence, humor, and with a less daring but still very competent use of colour, sound and cinematography.

And on suits, I'd say it's good, but not amazing. Worth it, but I wouldn't re-watch it with a buddy. The further the show gets, the more things seem to get drawn out and to me it feels like they're treading water more than moving somewhere. You're also very likely to start hating one or more characters cause they sometimes behave dumb solely to create drama. Now I'm making it sound bad but it's still good, well, good enough.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

I watched it all on Netflix and it was with laugh tracks, except there were hardly any during the last two seasons. I don't think the last season had it at all. Of course, a laugh track on the final episode would be fairly awful.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Been through a few things lately, iZombie is as good and fun as any of the good CW shows. Also went through the Brink which I really enjoyed - I saw it get some pretty snobby reviews but not every political comedy has to The Thick of It - the Brink was goofy enough to keep me entertained all the way through.

The big one I managed to binge all the way through in the past month was Person of Interest. I've seen this show recommended in this thread again and again but was always turned off when I saw anyone try to sum it up or if I read a synopsis on the wikipedia page or whatever. But man, what a show! I'd read that some people were turned off early on but this thing had me pretty hooked from like episode 3 and then I just kept on trucking till the end. I'd put PoI up there with pretty much any of the "prestige" dramas despite it's (subversive) procedural nature as the all the character and big idea stuff is all really, really top-notch.

I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something new to watch. I think a lot of the recommendations trip up on the weirdness that after 2013 the first 2 seasons of the show are basically about the modern world but really it should be mentioned that this is basically a sci-fi show and that even back in those early seasons that's what the writers intended it to be.

Edit: VVV The whole thing - s4 is where it got amazing for me. The last episode in particular was special.

Chuf fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 14, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Did you watch the whole thing or just the first 3 seasons on Netflix? S4 goes up next Tuesday if you did the latter.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Nate RFB posted:

Since I was picking up Mulholland Drive when it comes out on Criterion I decided to take a gander through other Lynch stuff since surprisingly I had never actually seen any somehow. This has naturally led to binging Twin Peaks, might as well in preparation for the new season.

Thoughts about 4 episodes in: I did not expect it to be as funny as it is. It's quite amusing.

Lucky you! I recently saw it again with a buddy who hadn't seen it before, she's not into tv at all so it was a pleasure to show her something she really enjoyed. Season 1 is best, second season is a little muddled, but stick with it till the end and you'll be rewarded.

Norse Code posted:

My brother has been nagging me to watch Suits, but I'm dragging my feet on it... is it worth it? I watched an episode or two and it's okay, but just looking to see if it gets amazing.

imho it starts alright and then gets worse: The premise is simple and kinda suspenseful, but they've locked themselves into a formula and around the end of season 2 I started hating everyone on the show. They're all shallow bastards. What this show lacks is heart and direction, basically what I'm saying is you can play games on your phone while watching this. It's empty calories, but like junk food sometimes that's what you want to watch. Forum user Fleeve describes it pretty good, I think, even if he/she likes it a little more than me.

That also goes for his/her description of Mr Robot, even though Mr Robot didn't remind me of Utopia in the tone it all, it is a least an interesting show and I'd recommend it to most viewers under 40, I think. Above all else the main actor is good and it's very well paced.

Anyone else excited that You're The Worst is back? :D

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

prinneh posted:

Lucky you! I recently saw it again with a buddy who hadn't seen it before, she's not into tv at all so it was a pleasure to show her something she really enjoyed. Season 1 is best, second season is a little muddled, but stick with it till the end and you'll be rewarded.

imho it starts alright and then gets worse: The premise is simple and kinda suspenseful, but they've locked themselves into a formula and around the end of season 2 I started hating everyone on the show. They're all shallow bastards. What this show lacks is heart and direction, basically what I'm saying is you can play games on your phone while watching this. It's empty calories, but like junk food sometimes that's what you want to watch. Forum user Fleeve describes it pretty good, I think, even if he/she likes it a little more than me.

Ehhh, maybe it'll just be a show to watch while I'm on the treadmill. Thanks guys!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Decided to start rewatching The X-files a few months ago for some reason, and in general I forgot how ridiculously competent and just generally good this show was. For some reason it's way easier to remember how off the rails the main arc went towards the end and forget that the show was genuinely top tier TV when it wanted to be.

Also took a slight break to binge through Mr. Robot, which was surprisingly solid for something that I thought was just going to be a silly summer USA series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Watching Season 2 of the Blacklist. It's still got that Spader charm that I missed in Age of Ultron, so I'll probably continue.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Parks & Rec is pretty great, except that the Jean-Ralphio is one of the least enjoyable characters I've ever seen.

Also Heroes is the loving trainwreck I remember, and I'm only watching it because putting a good show on during housework would be a waste.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I feel like I saw a commercial while watching football that they're bringing back (or some flavor) Heroes.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Parks & Rec is pretty great, except that the Jean-Ralphio is one of the least enjoyable characters I've ever seen.

You are supposed to hate him (and his sister)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

andrew smash posted:

You are supposed to hate him (and his sister)

I know, but he missed love-to-hate and ended up in just plain hate.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I know, but he missed love-to-hate and ended up in just plain hate.

haha, I dunno... when he sings his words I used to always get a chuckle:

“Technically, I’m homeeeellleeeessssssss.”

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

American Horror Story Asylum was my garish American afternoon soap for the last week and it was sensational. What a cast! Utterly balls-to-the-wall insane plot, fun and horrible all at the same time.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also Heroes is the loving trainwreck I remember, and I'm only watching it because putting a good show on during housework would be a waste.

Heroes has the fastest gold to poo poo ratio I've ever seen in a show.
I thought(& still think) the first season is great, it really delivered on what I was expecting.
It has one or two flaws, there's a whole episode that could have been dropped,Nikki(?) is quite annoying, the save the cheerleader meme thing is irradiating and Sylar surviving is weak but overall it's very good for what it is.

Then almost from the start season two is a shitshow and it just gets worse and worse and worse.
I kept with it all the way till halfway into season 3 and I'm still bitter.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 15, 2015

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just started watching 30 Rock after years of having a friend bug me to check it out. I'm about 8 episodes in and it is pretty funny, but I mainly just keep waiting for more Tracy Morgan. Do the other characters become funny?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Pron on VHS posted:

Just started watching 30 Rock after years of having a friend bug me to check it out. I'm about 8 episodes in and it is pretty funny, but I mainly just keep waiting for more Tracy Morgan. Do the other characters become funny?

I was in a similar situation. It never really clicked for me despite everyone loving this show. I liked Baldwin, but I never made it past season 5

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished Season 1 of Narcos on Netflix. I thought it was good. Not sure how factual it was but, the way they portrayed the characters was believable. The acting was pretty good. None of the characters were very likable or sympathetic. Mainly because all of the main characters are either arrogant cops, politicians, sadistic military or drug dealers. It's a good watch with 10 solid episodes in Season 1.

Before that, I binged through all three seasons of Continuum on Netflix. I didn't like Season 1; it had its moments. The Protector, Kiera Cameron, character was too bi-polar for me. She lapsed between fascist bitch cop and sympathetic little lost girl, just trying to get home too much for me. But, I'm recording this final season and look forward to maybe getting some answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I was in a similar situation. It never really clicked for me despite everyone loving this show. I liked Baldwin, but I never made it past season 5
From what I remember about 30 Rock, it kind of hit a lull for a couple of seasons but roared back into being hilarious for the last two (6 & 7).