Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The Start Menu's no more special than any other universal app; it just happens to link to the start button on your desktop/tablet/keyboard.
Yeah, nothing wrong with making your signature interface element as fragile as the rest of your apps based on a new API

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah, nothing wrong with making your signature interface element as fragile as the rest of your apps based on a new API

wait until you find out about .avis and windows 3.1

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

The Start Menu's no more special than any other universal app; it just happens to link to the start button on your desktop/tablet/keyboard.

That actually brings up something I've been wondering about. When Cortana stops working (partially or totally), you can open the Task Manager, end the Cortana task via the Processes tab, and it'll reload itself and (if you've made the right blood sacrifices) fix the problem without a reboot.

It occurred to me after the last time I had to do this that if Start's just another app now, the Cortana trick should be a thing we'd be able to do when the Start button spins into the wall. But if that's the case, the right process isn't nearly as obvious.

So what's the process that shits the bed when Start shits the bed (the one that isn't helpfully labelled Start in Task Manager), and how stupid would I have to be to even consider trying this?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Based on 10 seconds of looking at process explorer while clicking the start menu, it's ShellExperienceHost.exe. But that may just be a companion service to explorer. But I'd try killing that guy next time start doesn't work and see.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Windows 10 just locked my screen and forced me to schedule a restart time for an update. Has anyone figured out how to turn this stupid poo poo off? The group policy thing I tried does nothing. I figured out that not clicking the first restart notification prevents what I thought was auto-restarting but was actually me accidentally scheduling an update by closing the update and security window that pops up while not touching any settings. The default is a scheduled update so it assumes that's what you want, there's no choice for "I got it, I'll restart when I feel like it".

I thought ignoring the initial message would prevent it but after a while it just dimmed my screen and forced me into the settings app, creating the same condition as when I clicked the initial message, if you don't do anything at this point it schedules a restart for whatever time it thinks is good for you. Basically what I want is: for windows to notify me about when a restart is needed and then shut up about it. It has to be possible, right?!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

d0s posted:

Windows 10 just locked my screen and forced me to schedule a restart time for an update. Has anyone figured out how to turn this stupid poo poo off? The group policy thing I tried does nothing. I figured out that not clicking the first restart notification prevents what I thought was auto-restarting but was actually me accidentally scheduling an update by closing the update and security window that pops up while not touching any settings. The default is a scheduled update so it assumes that's what you want, there's no choice for "I got it, I'll restart when I feel like it".

I thought ignoring the initial message would prevent it but after a while it just dimmed my screen and forced me into the settings app, creating the same condition as when I clicked the initial message, if you don't do anything at this point it schedules a restart for whatever time it thinks is good for you. Basically what I want is: for windows to notify me about when a restart is needed and then shut up about it. It has to be possible, right?!

I set mine to notify me about updates but not download or install them until I choose to do so. I used Winaero Tweaker (which was mentioned in the thread before):
http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

7th thing down on their downloads list:
http://winaero.com/download.php?list.2

If you follow the instructions it will set a GPO for windows updates and afterwards your Windows Update advanced options show this:

Tweaker also lets you enable the Aero Lite theme and change a bunch of other stuff. If you want to play around with it set a restore point before you mess with things just in case.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm not 100% sure if this was a Trillian feature that doesn't work in 10, or a 7 feature that doesn't work in 10, but I figure someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I used to be able to snap my chat windows together so that the edges lined up. I liked how it made things look "cleaner", or at least more orderly. Since I've gone to 10, I can't do that anymore unless I use the "snap to screen edges" functionality, which I kinda don't want to do, because it'll resize the chat windows.

Any way I can get this back?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm not 100% sure if this was a Trillian feature that doesn't work in 10, or a 7 feature that doesn't work in 10, but I figure someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I used to be able to snap my chat windows together so that the edges lined up. I liked how it made things look "cleaner", or at least more orderly. Since I've gone to 10, I can't do that anymore unless I use the "snap to screen edges" functionality, which I kinda don't want to do, because it'll resize the chat windows.

Any way I can get this back?

If I remember right, wasn't that something you had to turn on in the options for Trillian?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I'm thinking of going for the upgrade, and maybe doing a clean install as well.

My motherboard does not have a Windows 10 drivers section. What do I actually need from this: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

And would the Win8.1 drivers work?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

My motherboard does not have a Windows 10 drivers section. What do I actually need from this: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Maybe people who have deployed W10 on more systems could provide more info, but W10 should automatically pull whatever chipset drivers you need and install them automatically, no fuss and no extra steps. I have a pretty old laptop and didn't need to install any vendor drivers (which is great because the vendor drivers haven't been updated in years).

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Odds are the 8.1 drivers will work. My mobo manufacturer (Asrock) never updated theirs for 10 but I've had no issues with any of their components. Most of the more common parts like onboard sound Windows will likely be able to automatically install drivers for itself anyway.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Thanks for the input! I'll probably just go for it then.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rexxed posted:

I set mine to notify me about updates but not download or install them until I choose to do so. I used Winaero Tweaker (which was mentioned in the thread before):
http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

7th thing down on their downloads list:
http://winaero.com/download.php?list.2

If you follow the instructions it will set a GPO for windows updates and afterwards your Windows Update advanced options show this:

Tweaker also lets you enable the Aero Lite theme and change a bunch of other stuff. If you want to play around with it set a restore point before you mess with things just in case.

Thanks and sorry for missing it before, I don't really follow this thread but just post when I have a problem like a lazy idiot. You guys are really helpful and cool!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Note that if, for some reason, you want to do your driver updates manually (in case MS botched a driver or something*) the old "go directly to Intel/Realtek" trick works.

*The Synaptics drivers from Microsoft are meant expressly for the HP Spectre line, because that's what Microsoft used to promote Windows 10 instead of the Surface line for some reason. They still do dumb poo poo like put the tray icon back at restart even if you explicitly tell it not to, which HP's version of the Synaptics driver doesn't do. And turning 'show all tray icons' off is akin to putting your eye out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

d0s posted:

Thanks and sorry for missing it before, I don't really follow this thread but just post when I have a problem like a lazy idiot. You guys are really helpful and cool!

No need to be sorry, it's ridiculous that Microsoft has changed the default windows update selections from something sane to something so bad that it requires third party utilities to make them reasonable.

You will still get some updates with this option set, btw, but they all seem to be Windows Defender updates and I haven't had one of those need to restart my machine. My guess is that Defender uses Windows Update to get its virus definition file updates since it's integrated into windows now instead of being a separate utility like it was in Windows 7.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Note that if, for some reason, you want to do your driver updates manually (in case MS botched a driver or something*) the old "go directly to Intel/Realtek" trick works.

*The Synaptics drivers from Microsoft are meant expressly for the HP Spectre line, because that's what Microsoft used to promote Windows 10 instead of the Surface line for some reason. They still do dumb poo poo like put the tray icon back at restart even if you explicitly tell it not to, which HP's version of the Synaptics driver doesn't do. And turning 'show all tray icons' off is akin to putting your eye out.

So is this why, after all this time, my laptop is STILL broken on 10 and I can't press any keys or use the touchpad if I want the system to not crash repeatedly?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Diviance posted:

If I remember right, wasn't that something you had to turn on in the options for Trillian?

If it is, I can't find it :(

Edit: Welp, the Trillian devs removed it because it caused problems in 8.1.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 14, 2015

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Oh, I see what happened.

http://help.trillian.im/discussions/windows/26776-windows-no-longer-snapping

Apparently, it got disabled in Windows 8.1 (and as a result, Windows 10) last year in version 5.5.

Run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode, it re-enables the functionality in Windows 10... though with a very small empty space around the windows since the borders were shrunk in Windows 10.

Edit: Funny, when I originally quoted that your link wasn't in it... I guess it added it when I refreshed before replying and I didn't notice it, hah.

Diviance fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 14, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Trillian still exists?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Factor Mystic posted:

Based on 10 seconds of looking at process explorer while clicking the start menu, it's ShellExperienceHost.exe. But that may just be a companion service to explorer. But I'd try killing that guy next time start doesn't work and see.

A side note: you can check in Task Manager as well. In the Details view, right-click the columns, click "Select columns", and check "Package name". Any thing that has something filled in there is a Windows Store app. By default, Search (i.e. Cortana), Windows Shell Experience, and the Store are running. The Start Menu uses both Search and the Windows Shell Experience, and they will be restarted pretty much immediately if you kill them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Segmentation Fault posted:

Trillian still exists?

I haven't used an instant messenger since smart phones became a thing. What's even the usecase anymore?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I haven't used an instant messenger since smart phones became a thing. What's even the usecase anymore?

some people use their computers to chat w/ other people

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Seriously?

I mean; I only really use it for work but typing on a keyboard is far superior than a touchscreen. Plus the ability to share documents, screenshare, etc.

I mean; my use has certainly reduced but it's definitely not a dead tech

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone tried an upgrade in a domain environment? We've got 300-ish Win 7 PCs and want to do a Win 10 rollout as painlessly as possible. Unfortunately, our network speeds suck rear end, but I can't seem to find any way to download the source files to USB and install from there. Currently, the steps are:

Remove PC from domain
Install required KBs (2952664 and 3035583)
Wait for MS to activate the flag
Reserve the software (probably an unnecessary step)
Wait (sometimes for days) for MS to give the green light for the upgrade
Download and update in place
Rejoin domain

Obviously, it's insane for us to go to the PC location, remove it, expect a user to be without a PC for multiple days, and literally twiddle our thumbs while MS slowly rolls out the update.

Has anyone found an alternative? I'd love to come in with a USB drive, force the two KBs, then install from the drive...

I've tried the Windows 10 Download Tool, but it keeps asking for a license key, and will not accept the upgrade key that I can pull from previous Win 10 upgrades (tells me it's a full version and I can't use an upgrade key.) Also, people are talking about a "Skip" button when the installer asks for a key, but I have yet to see that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why don't people just use hangouts? I go to work, log in to Gmail and there's hangouts. I get in my car and unlock my phone, there's hangouts. Then I'm at home and every device has hangouts. I only use pidgin for getting to IRC these days. I didn't even realize trillian still existed since I stopped using AIM/MSN/whatever years ago.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone found an alternative? I'd love to come in with a USB drive, force the two KBs, then install from the drive...

Burn ISO to DVD, or extract to USB stick
Run the setup.exe on it.
Profit.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lum posted:

Burn ISO to DVD, or extract to USB stick
Run the setup.exe on it.
Profit.

That's what I'm doing, and I'm being asked for a license key.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's what I'm doing, and I'm being asked for a license key.

Are you running setup.exe from inside the existing Windows install?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nielsm posted:

Are you running setup.exe from inside the existing Windows install?

Yep. Insert USB stick, right-click setup.exe (Run as Administrator.) The installer runs through the initial setup, I'm asked whether I want to download updates now or later (I choose later, due to network speed) and then I am asked for the key "available on the disc envelope or email" I was sent when I purchased the software.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Can you not just hit skip when it asks for it?

E: just saw you mention that bit

So it gives no option but entering a key? Odd

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone tried an upgrade in a domain environment? We've got 300-ish Win 7 PCs and want to do a Win 10 rollout as painlessly as possible. Unfortunately, our network speeds suck rear end, but I can't seem to find any way to download the source files to USB and install from there. Currently, the steps are:

Remove PC from domain
Install required KBs (2952664 and 3035583)
Wait for MS to activate the flag
Reserve the software (probably an unnecessary step)
Wait (sometimes for days) for MS to give the green light for the upgrade
Download and update in place
Rejoin domain

Obviously, it's insane for us to go to the PC location, remove it, expect a user to be without a PC for multiple days, and literally twiddle our thumbs while MS slowly rolls out the update.

I've tried the Windows 10 Download Tool, but it keeps asking for a license key, and will not accept the upgrade key that I can pull from previous Win 10 upgrades (tells me it's a full version and I can't use an upgrade key.) Also, people are talking about a "Skip" button when the installer asks for a key, but I have yet to see that.

Way more steps than needed.

No need to leave and rejoin the domain, no need to install the two updates.

Try running wuauclt /upgradenow from an elevated command prompt.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rusty! posted:

Way more steps than needed.

No need to leave and rejoin the domain, no need to install the two updates.

Try running wuauclt /upgradenow from an elevated command prompt.

I'll give this a try and report back. Again, a downside though - I want to avoid using our network to download the installer if at all possible, as it is so slow. To put it in perspective, it took me eight hours to download the last upgrade - that was from "Your Windows 10 upgrade is ready!" to "Welcome to Windows 10!" In addition, that upgrade take up a good majority of the bandwidth on the network and everyone else has their traffic slow to a crawl. Well, our normal speed is "Crawl," so whatever is slower than that...

EDIT: wuauclt /upgradenow and wuauclt.exe /upgradenow seems to have done nothing? I ran it and nothing appeared to happen, other than returning to the prompt again. I'm guessing the fact that we are in a WSUS environment, I can't force an upgrade?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 14, 2015

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I just bought an 8.1 (home, or whatever isn't pro) OEM license, installed and activated on a machine I built.

I am considering the "in-app" upgrade to 8.1 pro. Just trying to get my head around what will happen with the upgrade to 10 whenever I do it. If I buy 8.1 pro upgrade, I assume it marks the machine as 10 pro eligible. Does that then mean my serial from the 8.1 "home" envelope is still what I use for a fresh install on the same machine down the road, before AND after upgrading to 10. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and I will never have to enter a key again on this machine...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

uwaeve posted:

I just bought an 8.1 (home, or whatever isn't pro) OEM license, installed and activated on a machine I built.

I am considering the "in-app" upgrade to 8.1 pro. Just trying to get my head around what will happen with the upgrade to 10 whenever I do it. If I buy 8.1 pro upgrade, I assume it marks the machine as 10 pro eligible. Does that then mean my serial from the 8.1 "home" envelope is still what I use for a fresh install on the same machine down the road, before AND after upgrading to 10. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and I will never have to enter a key again on this machine...
No - supposedly, when you "reserve" the 10 upgrade, there is a transaction that goes on between the PC and MS that somehow identifies your PC for future installs. Have not verified, cannot confirm.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

uwaeve posted:

If you install W10 from within an activated copy of Windows, the installer calculates a hardware ID for your machine, and submits it to Microsoft. When Windows goes to activate, it recalculates this hardware id, and submits it again to Microsoft. If the two match, Windows will activate. If not, it won't. Once you have upgraded once, you can reinstall Windows 10 as often as you like on that same hardware, without needing a standalone key.

If you change hardware (MB or CPU) your OEM windows license is no longer valid, and you'll need to buy a new one. MS is pretty flexible about re-activating in the case of warranty replacement, though you will need to phone them to do this.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wondering why my settings in bf4 wouldn't save, and previously I noticed when trying to save an image off the internet I didn't have permission to save into my pics. During Windows install I told it to make my default pictures directory on my slave to save space on the SSD, but I told it to keep My Docs on the main drive as its not much of a drain anyway. Turns out the lot of it is on read only for some reason, that's why my settings wont save, and when I go into properties and change it, it still stays on read only when I check again. gently caress.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My husband gets a $199 discount on Windows through his school, and they have 7, 8.1, and 10 available.

His primary use for the computer is gaming and composing music. (Has a fancy Creative soundcard for it.)

I just built him a new machine-- should we throw 10 on it clean, or get 7 or 8.1 & upgrade? His current machine has 7 on it and works fine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

effika posted:

My husband gets a $199 discount on Windows through his school, and they have 7, 8.1, and 10 available.

His primary use for the computer is gaming and composing music. (Has a fancy Creative soundcard for it.)

I just built him a new machine-- should we throw 10 on it clean, or get 7 or 8.1 & upgrade? His current machine has 7 on it and works fine.
I've run Win7, 8.1, and 10, and I would pick 10 any day.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

effika posted:

Upgrading 7 or 8.1 to 10 will reduce whatever license type to a quasi OEM one, keyless and (technically) tied to the hardware. Buying 10 will possibly give you a retail license that has an actual key and can be transferred to a new machine in the future, I suppose. Just something to be aware of.

But I'd look up other people's experiences with that soundcard on Windows 10 first. Not that a Creative card is great for making music in general, but whatever, not the issue here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

effika posted:

What is his price on Win 10? The price for Win 10 Home is $119 and Pro is $199 through Microsoft.