Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

n3wt posted:

I actually expected outrage after the Snowden revelations: strangers reading your emails, looking at your photos, logging your calls and your location? The public's reaction: *sad trombone* *shrug*

Maybe it's a generational thing but I know people who lived under the Soviets and the idea of Big Brother watching benevolently to catch "only the bad guys" makes them laugh so hard. There's a guy in Guanatamo who was put in there aged 14 (maybe they've released him now!), the patriot act has been so abused that it's a punchline and we get regular footage of cops misusing their power.
Oh well *shrug* "Privacy is only for people with something to hide!"

It's just too abstract for the average person. Best argument I've ever seen for cutting through that is from John Oliver's new show where he goes from asking people about government surveillance to asking them about the, "NSA's dick pick program; they have copies of all your dick pics:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M&t=1495s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Accretionist posted:

It's just too abstract for the average person. Best argument I've ever seen for cutting through that is from John Oliver's new show where he goes from asking people about government surveillance to asking them about the, "NSA's dick pick program; they have copies of all your dick pics:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M&t=1495s

John Oliver has a real gift for taking tough concepts that make the average person say "Well that sounds bad but I don't get how that affects people" or "Well that sucks but what can I do about it?" and turn them into things a layman can understand and act on (usually by contacting your local congressman/woman). The most surprising thing for me about that episode was how few people knew about Snowden or how many just knew him as a "traitor" but didn't know why, how few people had grasped the extent of the spying if they knew of it at all and how many thought it just applied to foreign terrorists.

My biggest concerns at this point are if we get another hard conservative or religious wave:
Not all the people you talk to are going to have the tech savvy to use encryption and proxies.
So if you want to help a friend get an abortion, help a battered wife or an illegal immigrant escaping war get from A to B, have a realistic talk about euthanasia, discuss how pissed you are at the banks or complain about your local so-called-christian taliban-like leaders ... will the cops come knocking at your door? Will you be quietly blacklisted or put on the backburner for benefits and other bureaucratic stuff, will you be required to jump through extra hoops and audited? Will you be named and shamed as unpatriotic, an unborn baby murderer and disabled people killer?

Already, the woman who made Citizen Four, Laura Poitras, systematically gets searched, detained and often her stuff gets taken at airports and she's a vanilla white lady who doesn't stand out in a crowd.

// The local doctors have been audited, threatened with suspension and sent to medical tribunal twice in 6 years because their prescription quotas don't fit the social security's calculations: mine nearly had a nervous breakdown last year. These ridiculous quota calculations are based on an averages and do not account for age and disability rates per town.
You see, our town has bunch of special pneumonology clinics and a good climate for breathing problems so many sick people move here and many people retire here to die, the local hospitals are in shambles and leave people to do heavy medical procedures, like say chemo for example, at home with a brief nurse visit.
So the docs and nurses get called in and asked to justify why their precription rate or anti biotics X, Y and Z, painkillers A, B and C are higher than average. They tried banding together to say "hey, please take into account where we work" but were still put through the wringer one by one, having to justify dozens of patients, many on unorthodox treatments because the hospitals can't handle it. //
It really can break a person to be put through the bureaucratic dirtfinding process: several Drs moved, retired early or quit in anger.
Imagine if that was every politician fighting for the lower classes, every doctor who wasn't pro-life, any gay or muslim lawyers or small businesses, every department in a web company that refused to give digital access without a real warrant not the blank cheques they've been given by FISA?

I love that in Mr Robot, they're going after the banks/megacorps and it'd be awesome if they introduced a pair of corporate overloads who were brothers who spend their money trying to get their own beliefs enforced. =p
But I'd be going after the folks reading and keeping all our personal data, the digital overview of a persons life... because if Elliot can hack it, someone else blackmailed into thinking they're serving their country can too.
Disconnect the big collection sites' access to the main cable lines, blackmail the companies who give unfettered access, make a virus that doesn't affect a persons computer or phone other than making all data transfers to a third party encrypted and sending dummy data to whoever's recording...
It's pretty much unconstitutional anyway!

Who would fsociety go after in your ideal scenario?

n3wt fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 14, 2015

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Samaritan, obviously.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

crowoutofcontext posted:

The Coney island Arcade

Can someone explain to me the Coney Island 'trope'?

It seems that in every TV show/movie, Coney Island is some abandoned and run down place. Yet, productions still seem to set things there. What's the deal? Is that place still active or what?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

This is a Good Show, but has a Bad Thread. Seriously, I've read through the first 13 pages and it's just so terrible. I just finished the finale last night, so I'll catch up soon and can't wait to discuss it with you guys! I was very satisfied with the season overall.

E: Ha, the thread gets a lot better on page 14.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 14, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CloFan posted:

This is a Good Show, but has a Bad Thread. Seriously, I've read through the first 13 pages and it's just so terrible.
It Gets Better™

I thought this thread was a fun read, and for the most part the dumb posters get shouted down

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Can someone explain to me the Coney Island 'trope'?

It seems that in every TV show/movie, Coney Island is some abandoned and run down place. Yet, productions still seem to set things there. What's the deal? Is that place still active or what?

Google says the place is still open, somewhat damaged after hurricane sandy but open.
It does have an offseason that might make it a great place to shoot spooky looking empty rides and maybe there are tax exemptions for filming there?

"Coney Island is a seasonal center operating roughly between Easter and Halloween. Rides and attraction are generally open on weekends from Easter until Memorial Day, all week long from Memorial Day until Labor Day, and then weekends from Labor Day until the end of October. The beach and boardwalk are open all year round (although lifeguards are only on duty from Memorial Day to Labor Day) and Nathan's Hot Dogs and the New York Aquarium are open almost every day of the year."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Coney Island was home to the first modern amusement parks and were incredibly popular in their time (the first few decades of the 20th century). They've since been superseded by more spacious parks with bigger, faster rides, etc. but some of them are still open. But, they are small by modern standards, kind of dingy, and the area is run down. Basically Coney Island evokes a degree of faded glory and innocence lost, I guess.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

stoops posted:

Longshot, but would anyone know if someone has created a 3d file of the FSociety mask?

I work with 3D modeling, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can totally understand, like, old people not knowing how to use computers and being unable to identify malware on the internet; but just inserting random discs or USB drives off the street seems so dumb that I can't believe people my age, even with the most basic of computer literacy, would actually do that.

I haaaaddddd to address this because this is my life!

Happens all the drat time. I work in a help desk and we have endpoint that yells at us when some moron inserts a usb stick with malware.

We used to joke that we could drop a usb stick a day that would pop up a HEY YOU JUST GOT PUNKED! to teach people a lesson but it was nixed by management because we arent supposed to rub it in people's faces. Just quietly reimage their computers and move on.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tigntink posted:

I haaaaddddd to address this because this is my life!

Happens all the drat time. I work in a help desk and we have endpoint that yells at us when some moron inserts a usb stick with malware.

We used to joke that we could drop a usb stick a day that would pop up a HEY YOU JUST GOT PUNKED! to teach people a lesson but it was nixed by management because we arent supposed to rub it in people's faces. Just quietly reimage their computers and move on.

So our security guy does this, although it just quietly sends him an email in the background so he can do what he needs to do (break kneecaps, etc)

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So our security guy does this, although it just quietly sends him an email in the background so he can do what he needs to do (break kneecaps, etc)

Yeah, this is very much a real social engineering tactic. Granted, you usually don't drop 20 of them in the parking lot because that breeds suspicion, but it's a common vector of attack. I used to work InfoSec at a bank and we did exactly this as part of annual penetration testing.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

Coney Island was home to the first modern amusement parks and were incredibly popular in their time (the first few decades of the 20th century). They've since been superseded by more spacious parks with bigger, faster rides, etc. but some of them are still open. But, they are small by modern standards, kind of dingy, and the area is run down. Basically Coney Island evokes a degree of faded glory and innocence lost, I guess.

Didnt really like the scene where Elliot talks to Mr.Robot riding the Ferris wheel. It was well shot and had some weird possibly symbolic tension when it looked like the cart behind them was going to hit their own cart, but for me it took away the whole secret society beleivability. I mean riding busted Ferris wheels on an off season is kinda conspicuous.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

crowoutofcontext posted:

Didnt really like the scene where Elliot talks to Mr.Robot riding the Ferris wheel. It was well shot and had some weird possibly symbolic tension when it looked like the cart behind them was going to hit their own cart, but for me it took away the whole secret society beleivability. I mean riding busted Ferris wheels on an off season is kinda conspicuous.

He was riding by himself and generally is a crazy dude talking to himself. Crazy people doing stuff in general doesn't raise suspicion since there are a million schizo people running around talking to themselves. Seattle is rife with it. I once was crossing a street and a guy grabbed my shoulder and said "DID YOU KNOW YOU DONT HAVE A SOUL??????" and I was like "cool dude" and kept walking.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Also there's no reason for anyone to be paying any attention to Coney Island or that arcade. No one has any reason to suspect Elliot of anything until his boss starts losing his poo poo, so it's not like some super hacker cop is going to be driving by and think "hey, I bet that guy on the ferris wheel has something to do with fsociety!" At most he'd get bitched at by some regular policeman to get down.

Ice
May 29, 2014
Do we ever see whats in the giant backpack?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Also there's no reason for anyone to be paying any attention to Coney Island or that arcade. No one has any reason to suspect Elliot of anything until his boss starts losing his poo poo, so it's not like some super hacker cop is going to be driving by and think "hey, I bet that guy on the ferris wheel has something to do with fsociety!" At most he'd get bitched at by some regular policeman to get down.

Yeah, I get that nothing really important plot-wise would come of a policeman seeing that an abandoned Ferris wheel was being used by a dude who talks to himself. And a quick google search about abandoned amusement parks reveals that still functioning rides are more realistic than I expected.

Though I still think that the fact that the arcade owner was murdered by being shot in the back a few times before fsociety moved in isn't a coincidence. They could have easily written it another way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This might be a longshot, but when Tyrell offered Elliott a job at ECorp in the first/second episodes, was it at least partly motivated by wanting to get into Elliott's pants?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Steve Yun posted:

This might be a longshot, but when Tyrell offered Elliott a job at ECorp in the first/second episodes, was it at least partly motivated by wanting to get into Elliott's pants?

No

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I've gone back and forth on this. There is definitely something off about the way he interacts with Elliot, even moreso than with everyone else, but I don't know if it's sexual or just Tyrell really wanting a tech buddy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tyrell doesn't manipulate people into sex. He uses sex to manipulate people.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Am I the only one who got the vibe from Tyrell's wife that she killed him? She got so mad at his mistakes, it seems like the sort of thing she might do. You know, watch him gently caress up, kill him for the life insurance, blame it on fsociety which the paper trail will say he was clearly involved in?

E: This show is totally a soap opera. I predict hatewatching will start by mid Season 3.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

Let me know when you're done writing the fanfic.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Subjunctive posted:

The first conversation between Elliot and Tyrell is also about Tyrell trying to impress with his tech knowledge, so it's played a little thick.

The worst part is that I know the subject matter of that conversation, and the way they did it was so cringeworthy with :effort: that it didn't even work on that level. If I were Elliot and I had some CTO suck-up have that conversation with me, I'd think he was a huge loving tool afterwards.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 15, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QuantumNinja posted:

The worst part is that I know the subject matter of that conversation,

Yes, I think we all do.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, I think we all do.

Well some goon a page or two ago didn't, so I thought it was worth clarifying at least that not only was it thick, but also really poo poo anyway. :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QuantumNinja posted:

Well some goon a page or two ago didn't, so I thought it was worth clarifying at least that not only was it thick, but also really poo poo anyway. :shrug:

Sorry, I woke up with the same headache I had last night, so I'm in a lovely mood.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Alright, so after thinking on it for a bit, I've managed to sort out my thoughts on the show. Season 1 was good. Real good. I really like that show.

I am a little worried, because that show is over now.

Sam Esmail has basically said that this was Act 1 of his movie, meaning the real story has just started. I don't know if I like this story as much. To be fair, I haven't seen that much of it. But I am still a little worried because there is now a LOT of room for this to become a much worse, much dumber show, mostly by falling into the twin pits of Mental Illness Doesn't Work Like That and Economics Don't Work Like That. It would be a real shame for it to get so much of the hacking stuff right only to miss its other marks by a country mile.

That said, they haven't really stumbled yet and Esmail has given me no reason to doubt him. By all indications, he seems like a good showrunner. He has a writer's room so he's not operating in an echo chamber, and he listens to suggestions and collaborates with his actors on character stuff and generally seems like he wants to get things right. When Rami consulted a psychologist to better understand the illnesses he was portraying and how to more accurately get them across, Sam asked him where he was getting that stuff and wound up hiring the psychologist as a consultant for the show. That's a good sign.

So I've got high hopes for season 2, and even if I didn't, I'd tune in just to see more of Rami Malek's Elliot. Dude is good. There's an article somewhere (on mobile, so I can't find it right now) that basically echoes my thoughts, saying something along the lines of "I could imagine another actor playing Walter White and not doing it quite as well as Bryan Cranston. I can't imagine another actor who could even make Elliot Alderson work."

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QuantumNinja posted:

The worst part is that I know the subject matter of that conversation, and the way they did it was so cringeworthy with :effort: that it didn't even work on that level. If I were Elliot and I had some CTO suck-up have that conversation with me, I'd think he was a huge loving tool afterwards.

Ditto. Would definitely not think 'oh cool this guy is on my level'. It sounded more like my parents trying to be cool by calling me 'fam'.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Apropos the Snowdon chat earlier, I think it's interesting that the show really hasn't made digital privacy a central theme (other than sextortion of Angela as a minor plot lever). Fsociety has been attacking databases not because they contain personal information, but because they contain the artifacts of an economic system they despise. (Though in the rest of their lives they don't really seem to express the same passionate hatred for consumer debt and whatnot. More often, taking down E-Corp is its own goal, and we're only reminded of the motivation -- rationalization? -- in the public broadcasts.)

I wonder if we'll see privacy become a bigger theme in S2. It would be challenging to navigate in a way that was both exciting and authentic, but challenging can produce great things.

(Also: I think the initial nerd-vogueing that Tyrell does is as much for the audience's benefit as Elliot's. Just as a quirky character is introduced as ~super-quirky-omg~, they're establishing firmly that Tyrell is the suit who can understand them, and a more interesting opponent for it.)

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Ditto. Would definitely not think 'oh cool this guy is on my level'. It sounded more like my parents trying to be cool by calling me 'fam'.

Tyrell is not nearly as good at seduction as he thinks he is.

He's used to impressing people that he feels are significantly below his status and intelligence: the secretary, a low-level employee of Allsafe. Whenever he tries to manipulate people that are closer to his equal, he overplays his hand and makes a fool of himself. He's a profoundly insecure bully. He's the sort of person that pays a homeless man so he can beat him up. He's alpha, and he's going to neg all of you betas.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 15, 2015

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Apropos the Snowdon chat earlier, I think it's interesting that the show really hasn't made digital privacy a central theme (other than sextortion of Angela as a minor plot lever). Fsociety has been attacking databases not because they contain personal information, but because they contain the artifacts of an economic system they despise. (Though in the rest of their lives they don't really seem to express the same passionate hatred for consumer debt and whatnot. More often, taking down E-Corp is its own goal, and we're only reminded of the motivation -- rationalization? -- in the public broadcasts.)

I wonder if we'll see privacy become a bigger theme in S2. It would be challenging to navigate in a way that was both exciting and authentic, but challenging can produce great things.

I wonder if that omission was intentional. I feel like a big part of Mr Robot is that personal privacy is obsolete in the digital age, and that it's impossible to expect that genie put back in its bottle. For all the fearmongering about NSA surveillance programs and superhackers, getting someone's private info is trivially easy to do. Any teenager with a grudge could do what Elliot does, for the most part.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

HorseRenoir posted:

I wonder if that omission was intentional. I feel like a big part of Mr Robot is that personal privacy is obsolete in the digital age, and that it's impossible to expect that genie put back in its bottle. For all the fearmongering about NSA surveillance programs and superhackers, getting someone's private info is trivially easy to do. Any teenager with a grudge could do what Elliot does, for the most part.

Especially when it's all laid out in easy to follow steps with screenshots - http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/mr-robot-hacks/

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah there are still variations of this 'social engineering' hack going around facebook and tumblr:
such as find your porn name: first pet and street you grew up on (the pet is a password staple and both are security answers). Others I can't remember have you state your mother's maiden name and your birth year by choosing from a list like... let me think, your superpower is crushing bricks (crushing=smith, bricks=1988) or your magical wizard name would be lucky number=adjective and birthyear=noun.
I loved the scene where Elliot phoned up the serial cheater married dude pretending to be official and got all the info he needed for a quick password dictionary crack in two minutes flat, no questions asked.
I imagine that if you compile special databases for say, Doctor Who fans or bronies or fans of a certain sports team, of common words and phrases from wikia/wikipedia then combine that with some info about the person you know to be a fan then cracking a password could be fairly easy with the right bruteforce software.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

n3wt posted:

Who would fsociety go after in your ideal scenario?

The companies who make pay to win video games and EA for ruining my childhood by loving up all the new versions of those games and being a lovely give no fucks about the customer company.

CloFan posted:

Yeah, this is very much a real social engineering tactic. Granted, you usually don't drop 20 of them in the parking lot because that breeds suspicion, but it's a common vector of attack. I used to work InfoSec at a bank and we did exactly this as part of annual penetration testing.

So do employees who gently caress up and insert the usb key get fired?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

n3wt posted:

Yeah there are still variations of this 'social engineering' hack going around facebook and tumblr:
such as find your porn name: first pet and street you grew up on (the pet is a password staple and both are security answers). Others I can't remember have you state your mother's maiden name and your birth year by choosing from a list like... let me think, your superpower is crushing bricks (crushing=smith, bricks=1988) or your magical wizard name would be lucky number=adjective and birthyear=noun.
I loved the scene where Elliot phoned up the serial cheater married dude pretending to be official and got all the info he needed for a quick password dictionary crack in two minutes flat, no questions asked.
I imagine that if you compile special databases for say, Doctor Who fans or bronies or fans of a certain sports team, of common words and phrases from wikia/wikipedia then combine that with some info about the person you know to be a fan then cracking a password could be fairly easy with the right bruteforce software.

This is why I don't know any of my passwords other than my LastPass master pass, which is very complex.

Holyshoot posted:

No but it would probably require some more mandatory security training, which nobody likes.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Holyshoot posted:

The companies who make pay to win video games and EA for ruining my childhood by loving up all the new versions of those games and being a lovely give no fucks about the customer company.

I love this thread.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spergatory posted:

Sam Esmail has basically said that this was Act 1 of his movie, meaning the real story has just started. I don't know if I like this story as much. To be fair, I haven't seen that much of it. But I am still a little worried because there is now a LOT of room for this to become a much worse, much dumber show, mostly by falling into the twin pits of Mental Illness Doesn't Work Like That and Economics Don't Work Like That. It would be a real shame for it to get so much of the hacking stuff right only to miss its other marks by a country mile.

Everything about mental health in S1 looked spot on to me, I don't see them loving that up now suddenly

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

Like Dr. Wu said, no, but it means remedial training and a bullet point on a report to improve before the next audit.

I finally caught up on the thread, and can't believe no one has mentioned since the finale that in Elliot's withdrawal dream, Tyrell was holding a key. Encryption key? I'm hoping the series does t go that way, and I don't think it will. The repercussions of fsociey's actions have to be real and not undone by the key, but I think it will come into play in one way or another.

I don't know what to make out of the conversation between Elliot and Tyrell's wife. I don't think Tyrell even wants back in at E corp, I think he allowed Elliot to proceed and possibly even filmed the video that Elliot focused on in the final episode. I don't know where he could be, but I don't think he's dead and I think him and Elliot are allies now.

I need to rewatch the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Steve Yun posted:

Scariest person on the show. She's like an android lie detector.

Her scene with Elliot was freaky. For a moment I almost forgot what show I was watching and it felt like she belonged to some sort of weird alien race who secretly rules the world from behind the scenes.

Please note, I am not saying this is a theory I actually have. Just that she seems to be playing on another level. And drat, I can't wait to explore that more.

Oh, and uh, I just marathoned the show in a week. I'm in love, in it for the long haul.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 16, 2015

• Locked thread