Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I don't regret purchasing it at all even though I'm awful and am stuck at around 700k credits so I can't actually get out of my Viper

Sell all the modules off your viper, buy a cobra chassis, fit it out and do smuggling missions (drugs, weapons, slaves) for 100-200k a pop, and you'll have enough to buy something bigger in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I don't regret purchasing it at all even though I'm awful and am stuck at around 700k credits so I can't actually get out of my Viper

No neither do I but I might if I purchased it again is all I'm saying, especially at full price. I'll probably either wait for a sale, or No Man's Sky might turn out to be really good, or make a drunken impulse-buy and convince myself I don't regret it the next day.

probably the latter

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Would I regret it if I doubled down on my regret purchase by picking up a T16000?

I haven't played ED for a long while but I recall trying to fly with a mouse as a terrible experience, one that I hope will be alleviated with a joystick.

Something I haven't owned since I played Privateer 2 probably.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Sell all the modules off your viper, buy a cobra chassis, fit it out and do smuggling missions (drugs, weapons, slaves) for 100-200k a pop, and you'll have enough to buy something bigger in no time.

Don't I need some sort of high trader rank in order to get those missions? Don't think I've seen a smuggling mission for that high.

Cactus posted:

No neither do I but I might if I purchased it again is all I'm saying, especially at full price. I'll probably either wait for a sale, or No Man's Sky might turn out to be really good, or make a drunken impulse-buy and convince myself I don't regret it the next day.

probably the latter

There seems to be a surge of "shoot things in space" games that might be coming out one day, but I don't think they have as much "other" poo poo like trading.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

Would I regret it if I doubled down on my regret purchase by picking up a T16000?

Some people say they can fly just fine with mouse and keyboard. I am not one of those people, and had a lot more fun flying around since I bought an X52 pro. I'd say the throttle was a bigger improvement than the stick though, so bear that in mind. As to whether you'd regret it... well that depends on your disposable income I suppose. It's not going to change what the game is, it just makes flying around easier and more fun (for me).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dusty Lens posted:

I haven't played ED for a long while but I recall trying to fly with a mouse as a terrible experience, one that I hope will be alleviated with a joystick.

I got a thrustmaster for around £30-40 along with the game and I factor that into it when I say I don't regret making the purchase, so take that for what it's worth. Then again there are people that have enjoyed the game just as much without one, so if you're not one of those then maybe you just don't enjoy the game and purchasing a flightstick won't change that? Only you can answer that I guess.

There seems to be a surge of "shoot things in space" games that might be coming out one day, but I don't think they have as much "other" poo poo like trading.

heh, "one day" being the operative term there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

probably the latter

Eh, I'm paying half the full price of Elite every month for my two EVE-accounts, paying Frontier for a much better game the equivalent of a two-month subscription once a year is one of my better financial decisions. So I decided to pre-order every Elite-expansion as soon as possible.

I hope No Man's Sky turns out good, too. The more space games, the merrier.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Haven't played E:D since 1.1 or so. Figured I would wait and see if the game introduced better income generation methods over a few patch cycles.

Anybody able to validate the "10 mil / hour" claims in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytAk5IWR4Yg It seems like every YouTube video detailing a high-income method is promptly followed by the nerf bat treatment from Frontier in order to return player income generation to previous Korean MMO'esque soul-crushing levels of terrible. If this method is real however, I may be looking at getting back into the space saddle. 8 ~ 10 mil/hour for space combat with added risk of player interaction sounds like my cup of tea.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Siets posted:

Haven't played E:D since 1.1 or so. Figured I would wait and see if the game introduced better income generation methods over a few patch cycles.

Anybody able to validate the "10 mil / hour" claims in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytAk5IWR4Yg It seems like every YouTube video detailing a high-income method is promptly followed by the nerf bat treatment from Frontier in order to return player income generation to previous Korean MMO'esque soul-crushing levels of terrible. If this method is real however, I may be looking at getting back into the space saddle. 8 ~ 10 mil/hour for space combat with added risk of player interaction sounds like my cup of tea.

That one is very unlikely to change, he's just saying you can get rank 5 in about 10 hours and maintain it in 5 every week and then he's taking the 50million credit weekly paycheck for rank 5 and dividing by the hours required. Several goons have done that painful grind already, not sure how long it actually took them but at least a few sped it up by doing it in a wing. The biggest thing to keep in mind is:
  • You won't get paid until the end of the second week maintenance.
  • If you fail to get your needed 10k merits at the end of the weekly cycle (sometime on Thursdays) you get the rank 4 payout instead, and it's significantly shittier.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Siets posted:

Ignoring the 50 million weekly stipend, with the bounty bonuses it is super easy for you to get 10 mil an hour just bounty hunting with the rank 5 bonus. Or even more. I clocked in 15 million in less than an hour just farting around half-assedly resetting a HiRES.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Libluini posted:

Is our name really Diamond Frogs or was that a joke in the other thread? Last time I checked, that name hadn't appeared yet in the list of approved player faction names on the Frontier-forum.

Which list is this?

If you're referring to the old rear end one they posted a while back then no, of course our new name won't be on that list.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

Which list is this?

If you're referring to the old rear end one they posted a while back then no, of course our new name won't be on that list.

Could be, it was apparently updated end of August. Some guys posted about another update a couple days ago, but it's the :frontear:-forum so who knows if that's true? :shrug:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Dear OP,

gently caress you, I love my Saitek x52 Pro. I can't program the display and the drivers were being stupid, but I figured it out and even removed the dumb clutch feature. It may be a piece of poo poo, but its my comfortable piece of poo poo.

On a more serious topic. I know the Cobra mkIII is the general workhorse, but my Viper seems to be holding me over just fine. Is there that big of a difference between the two that its worth stepping into the Cobra?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Cobra is multi purpose, viper has but one

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
If you're only going to shoot mans, the Viper is doable. I went from Eagle to Viper to Vulture, though, and ended up going to Cobras later and going "drat, missed out on this."

It's a really good ship. I have pythons and clippers and vultures, but I'd only consider going back to a viper as a gimmick, whereas I have legit flown a cobra lately because it owns.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

The 'Previous Elite Games' manages to conflate Frotier: Elite II and Frontier: First Encounters.

The first frontier game wasn't rushed out by the publisher and was available on Amiga/Atari/PC, but it had no real story.
Frontier: First Encounters had a story on top of the usual open universe and was a huge pile of bugs on original release.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Gonna get into a Cobra asap since the Viper can't hold any drat cargo and hopefully not gently caress up smuggling

Can you still do the one weird trick where you accept the mission, abandon it, then sell the cargo in the hub?

Also as I understand in the smuggling theory is request a dock, line up to the slot, boost up and hit silent running until you get inside?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cactus posted:

Except, when you purchase the early access version of the game that is out now (if you purchase the version you can play right now, that is), you won't automatically be given access to the full game that was advertised in the kickstarter with planetary landings and flying through the clouds of gas giants and such, when it releases. They'll charge you a full-game price again for that.

I'm super critical of this game, but this isn't fair. Planetary landings were announced as a paid expansion feature right from the beginning, along with some other random ideas like capital ship control and stuff. They've done a good enough job of checking all the feature boxes, it's just fleshing those features out and making them, uh, fun that's actually been a problem.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I certainly wasn't expecting to be able to land on planets when I bought this game.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Also as I understand in the smuggling theory is request a dock, line up to the slot, boost up and hit silent running until you get inside?

When I was doing it I didn't even bother with the running silent, I just rushed the slot at full boost while abusing lateral thrusters. Once you're through the slot you're generally OK. Smuggling will get your merchant rank up pretty quick, too.

Edit: Also runs to outposts are ideal since there's no cops out there.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

illectro posted:

The 'Previous Elite Games' manages to conflate Frotier: Elite II and Frontier: First Encounters.

The first frontier game wasn't rushed out by the publisher and was available on Amiga/Atari/PC, but it had no real story.
Frontier: First Encounters had a story on top of the usual open universe and was a huge pile of bugs on original release.

I had literally never heard of elite before playing dangerous, that's why I just quoted the history bit from the last op :ssh:. If you want to write up some better history I can quote it in the op if you'd like.

And I absolutely agree with most of not all of the disparaging comments about the game as it is, but I do feel that CQC is going to be a lot of fun, and hold on to some hope that future updates will be more wholesome in terms of the game at large. But also like a few people have said, it's significantly cheaper to play elite than any kind of subscription based game.

Though I do disagree strongly with the way they chose to put out the lifetime subscription, which banks on you playing the game for another 4+ "seasons" which FDev have yet to confirm will all last a year each. They probably would have made a lot more in the long run if they had put it at half the price for people who own the game already, or even just subtracted $45 from the total price instead of just $15 (they would have gotten my money for sure). On top of that I don't quite understand why they only made it available for a month or whatever (which is why I put no mention of it in the OP), seems like just a lot of bad business sense on their part.

As far as the actual game content goes, the most frustrating part is that they refuse to go back and do balance passes or any kind of polishing, powerplay is the best example of this, they put in this half finished "thing" about political intrigue and cool factions with unique goals then just left it as basically a framework with every faction having the same basic objectives and only a couple granting bonuses or modules worth fighting for unless you're a roleplaying maniac. It's things like the fact that all of the weapons only come in fixed with one class, and that rank 3 has no bonus over rank 4 besides some extra credits at the end of the week. I mean, they even showed off that they had already made the faction emblems and had at least put them in their dev client to take screenshots for the powerplay promo material, but we still don't have them in the actual game 4+ months later? really? But even with all of those problems it could be fixed to a large degree by just spending an afternoon looking at the numbers they weighted everything in powerplay with, giving the powerplay npcs bounties or cargo where appropriate, and maybe giving us the options there should be on the faction modules.

And the same really goes for module/ship balance and QoL in general, if they had stealth added, say, ammo holds/reserves instead of shield cell banks I think everyone would be a lot happier with the combat in the game right now.

Anyways, the 1.4 stress test should be starting any time in the next few days, so we'll all get to see what CQC is like firsthand.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally Kermit posted:

It's the name we came up with after Tikal took off for the coast or whatever. My other suggestion was "Goons without Frontiers" only in french but because I don't speak French good, I also suggest "Jeux Sans Frontières" after the true hero of this thread, Peter "P-Gabz" Gabriel.

Diamond Frogs is good and I think making up a thousand funny patches for squads would also be fun and good.

In conclusion goddamnit frank.club i lost gryphglyph to this game IM NOT LOSING YOU TOO *picks u up, slowcrawls u the rest of the way to Mt Doom*

I swear I'll play if you guys get a faction in 1.4. It's just that I could be playing MGSV.

I cannot justify getting the planetary landing stuff. There's just no way it's going to match up to what it should be. But I'll give the cqc beta a shot today.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 14, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

frank.club posted:

I swear I'll play if you guys get a faction in 1.4. It's just that I could be playing MGSV.

So could I, which is why I am killing two Eagles with one laser burst :v:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally Kermit posted:

So could I, which is why I am killing two Eagles with one laser burst :v:

Can I get an over under on your interest in this game once planets in SE drops?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
So, based on the content of the OP and shitposting that followed, I'm guessing that playing the game with other people is tedious and less fun than playing by yourself?

Edit: Also looks like the good news from planetary expansion is that they are abandoning updates to space content and will not actually fix the broken behind the scenes faction/simulator. The game is about an inch deep, and every time I log in I have tons of fun for about an hour because the combat engine is good, but none of the ships or AI are designed to provide any depth or variety in engagements, so I quickly uninstall.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 14, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Can you still do the one weird trick 0 you accept the mission, abandon it, then sell the cargo in the hub?

There's no reason to do that one weird trick mission givers hate because normally actually moving the cargo gives more than the cargo is worth now.

Personally, I just fly up hugging the station closely then thruster abuse my way through the mail slot without boosting or hitting silent run. Silent run as far as I can tell does not break NPC locks anyhow because the NPCs cheat. If you get scanned it's usually nbd anyhow as the fine is the cost of the cargo itself, but the mission usually pays more than the cargo value. Of course it's better to not get caught, but it's not worth dying over if a scan starts.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

CountingWizard posted:

So, based on the content of the OP and shitposting that followed, I'm guessing that playing the game with other people is tedious and less fun than playing by yourself?

Edit: Also looks like good news they are abandoning updates to space content and actually fixing the broken behind the scenes faction/simulator.

Depends on what you're doing. Flying with others is good for the terrible merit grind if you're into that, or for PvP it can be a lot of fun. For RES grinding or whatever it divides your profits up so sucks.

Murdering police remains the most fun you can have in game as a group, but is lots of fun. With our own faction, we might even have a reason to murder cops again other than "because it owns and is fun."

I suspect if we want to get good at our own faction thing, once we see how those mechanics work, we should have squads that run missions and murder cops together to maximize fun having while doing the tedious poo poo. Eve sloshops meets ED's tedious grind.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

Depends on what you're doing. Flying with others is good for the terrible merit grind if you're into that, or for PvP it can be a lot of fun. For RES grinding or whatever it divides your profits up so sucks.

Murdering police remains the most fun you can have in game as a group, but is lots of fun. With our own faction, we might even have a reason to murder cops again other than "because it owns and is fun."

I suspect if we want to get good at our own faction thing, once we see how those mechanics work, we should have squads that run missions and murder cops together to maximize fun having while doing the tedious poo poo. Eve sloshops meets ED's tedious grind.

Why is there tedious poo poo. Why not fun poo poo that also consequently turns a profit.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
When does 1.4 release do we know?

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I sold my nice upgraded cobra for a new vulture and I can't afford to upgrade the vulture. I miss my cobra. Also the vulture jump range sucks rear end.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

frank.club posted:

Can I get an over under on your interest in this game once planets in SE drops?

I plan on streaming both, but will be actively antagonizing E:D while in character. We're gonna run us some capers.

I eagerly await for SE planets, too. :3:

Fake edit: it was either in chat or a post on here, but yeah we got our home base name covered.

It's called getOuter Heaven :getin:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are they really going for that?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
^^^ no. If it were my choice it would be "Goons Without Frontiers" only in french. The unit crest that some one designed has the frog very heavily hidden. Sort of a get it under the radar deal.

celewign posted:

I sold my nice upgraded cobra for a new vulture and I can't afford to upgrade the vulture. I miss my cobra. Also the vulture jump range sucks rear end.

Pledge Aisling for a month, grinding up to Rank 3 to buy a class-5 prismatic shield. You suddenly have a kick rear end ship with slightly less overpowered shields and now capable of 64 tons of cargo.

Slap on an interdictor and you got the start of a viable pirate ship.

I am working on a gimmick load out for this to make a "proactive" refueling service.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 14, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AndroidHub posted:

As far as the actual game content goes, the most frustrating part is that they refuse to go back and do balance passes or any kind of polishing, powerplay is the best example of this, they put in this half finished "thing" about political intrigue and cool factions with unique goals then just left it as basically a framework with every faction having the same basic objectives and only a couple granting bonuses or modules worth fighting for unless you're a roleplaying maniac. It's things like the fact that all of the weapons only come in fixed with one class, and that rank 3 has no bonus over rank 4 besides some extra credits at the end of the week. I mean, they even showed off that they had already made the faction emblems and had at least put them in their dev client to take screenshots for the powerplay promo material, but we still don't have them in the actual game 4+ months later? really? But even with all of those problems it could be fixed to a large degree by just spending an afternoon looking at the numbers they weighted everything in powerplay with, giving the powerplay npcs bounties or cargo where appropriate, and maybe giving us the options there should be on the faction modules.

And the same really goes for module/ship balance and QoL in general, if they had stealth added, say, ammo holds/reserves instead of shield cell banks I think everyone would be a lot happier with the combat in the game right now.

This is honestly the Big Thing that makes E:D merely OK (and totally lacking in long term appeal unless you like poopsocking for bigger numbers) instead of great, your outfitting choices should be hugely impactful and give a large variety of different playstyles even within each role, unfortunately most choices are just objectively poo poo. Pulse lasers and SCBs for everyone!

It's also extremely annoying that they apparently are well aware that ship and module balance is hosed but rather than fixing it now they're rolling it all up into the loot / crafting update which is going to come some time after Horizons is released so... at an absolute minimum, more than a year after the game's original release. I'm bitter enough now that I assume that they're not actually going to make it better, but a bit more variety would be interesting at least.

The Powerplay stuff actually made it worse in some ways because there are a few more different outfitting choices but they're gated behind a different stupid grind for each one.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 14, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

CountingWizard posted:

Why is there tedious poo poo. Why not fun poo poo that also consequently turns a profit.

There is hope, and there is faith.

Edit: the worst thing PP did was create the horrible grind for megabucks. Used to be you could just play super casually with nothing to grind for, just do waht you want on your timeline. Then there became these ways to get super loving paid, but you have to grind to maintain them. They're optional and you can ignore them, but only if you're okay with driving your same old jalopnik while the new next door neighbors are building a new garage to park their old garages in.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

AndroidHub posted:

As far as the actual game content goes, the most frustrating part is that they refuse to go back and do balance passes or any kind of polishing, powerplay is the best example of this, they put in this half finished "thing" about political intrigue and cool factions with unique goals then just left it as basically a framework with every faction having the same basic objectives and only a couple granting bonuses or modules worth fighting for unless you're a roleplaying maniac.
I'm just curious how many times they'll put "...and nobody flies the Orca!" in the newsletter before they wonder why.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm very satisfied with mine. It's a very good stick for the price, although the throttle is a little flimsy.

I recommend this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaWDpw3108

I had to install the TARGET software to actually use the hat for thrusters.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally Kermit posted:

^^^ no. If it were my choice it would be "Goons Without Frontiers" only in french. The unit crest that some one designed has the frog very heavily hidden. Sort of a get it under the radar deal.

Grenouilles (frog) starts with a G. Dunno what the French equivalent for Goon is but you could do Frogs without borders and have it be the same acronym as Goons Sans Frontièrs. Plus it's got a nice word play if you acknowledge that people operate without Frontier Developments.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Like, people talk about how lovely the Fdrop is, but the Orca can't even equip a class 6 shield despite having a class 6 slot??? It's like they gave us an un-inflated basketball and told us to go play volleyball with it.

(It's also more than twice the cost of an fdrop???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No see the orca is a luxury cruise ship that serves a niche that is not now nor will ever be implemented.

• Locked thread