Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain to me the point of unconfirmed masons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
One thing I'd like to draw everyone's attention to. Lumpen has been saying all this time that content is great because then it can be analysed. In the last couple of pages there is a bunch of solid non-Content Game content that we can start looking at involving a number of different players. However, all Lumpen's done is defended himself and prodded the newbies for more. He's not actually doing any actual, you know, analysing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kashuno posted:

There isn't one.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Can I invoke Madman's Law (TM) and claim the second vote on me is definitely scum?

No because the basic premise of Madman's Law is that you have to pick a fight or be antagonistic in order to draw the votes. You haven't been attacking others to draw these votes.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Rarity posted:

As I've already explained, in a newbie heavy game as you can lead the newbies around in any direction you wish. What reason do you think a town Lumpen would have for trying to get that level of influence?
This really bears no meaningful resemblence to anything that has actually occurred in this game.
Rarity, what specifically are you accusing me of trying to do using my ~irresistible influence~? In what direction are you suggesting I have tried to lead the newbies? Please quote a post that supports whatever contention you come up with.

Also, what would even be Scummy about attempting to set a positive example of play? The whole premise of your argument doesn't even make sense as a reason to vote someone out.

Rarity posted:

I think he's once again trying to control the narrative by portraying his lynch target in a certain light so that newbies get an impression based on that and not from actual posts.
Please post some quotes that support this because what are you even talking about? I'm trying to imagine a coherent point of view from which you could possibly be coming, but I can't. You just seem like you're clinging to a very contrived and forced premise that you came up with to justify an opportunistic bandwagon vote. It's Scummy.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Kashuno posted:

It is a pretty dumb role because there's not much reason to even talk to somone OOT when they could be Scum. If we're both Town we may as well be talking in the thread for anything we may want to say. It's pointless, but that's what I got.

Our MasonDoc is only a few lines long.
Ernie has not responded there in a few days since I asked "will you tell me your flavor character name?"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. This is my first time seeing it and even after reading on the wiki about it I couldn't understand why that would exist.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kashuno posted:

Mod amusement :ssh:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Lumpen posted:

That's adorable. :shobon:

Keep the postin' cranked up to 11 as you continue bustin' this case wide open!!!!!!!!! :allears:

Lumpen, this is rude. You asked the new players to post. Don't be condescending when they do.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Lumpen, this is rude. You asked the new players to post. Don't be condescending when they do.

It hurts.

Rarity posted:

Hi, it's great to have you playing :)

That said, I'm never a fan of people basing reads on unknown flips. Do you have any thoughts that aren't relating to the Lumpen discussion?

No one else has seemed suspicious to me yet other than the three I named. I see that Lumpen and Kashuno are posting a lot and not doing well to defend themselves, whereas your posting has me thinking that you're probably Town-aligned like me. The other people posting have not drawn my attention in any particular way. I'll point out that it's of course possible some of the other new people are Scum we haven't spotted and they're laying low, but I'm confident that the three I named are Scum. Of course if they kill me to shut me up, that's a flashing neon sign that says I was right, so I don't know how they're going to act.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
People need to post more because there is probably scum within the three you listed but definitely not all three. Let's lynch lurkers.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also I just want to throw this out there:

Deadline is 1PM PST

The only reason I'm saying it is because I hate people saying "whoa wow didn't realize deadline was midday." Now you do.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kashuno posted:

Deadline is 1PM PST

The only reason I'm saying it is because I hate people saying "whoa wow didn't realize deadline was midday." Now you do.

Oh my god I'm going to be around for deadline this never happens this is the best :neckbeard:

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Rarity posted:

Oh my god I'm going to be around for deadline this never happens this is the best :neckbeard:

DUDE IM GONNA BE AROUND ASWELL LETS GO

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Who gave the Europeans all the power??????

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Deadline is 1PM PST

On one hand, I totally want to make a snarky comment about this post. I'm not sure what it would it would actually say, but it would have been full of snark.

On the other hand, I actually hadn't paid attention to the deadline and didn't realize it was tomorrow afternoon, so thanks for the post.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Chamale posted:

Aaaaaaah!

I'm most suspicious of you, motherfucker. You know you're not trustworthy, and you're trying to lead the new people around by the nose and distract them from yourself. It's not going to work. Scum protects scum, and I wasn't convinced by Kashuno's cute little vote and unvote. See how he's defending you now! Then there's Ernie, who vouched for you, in a way that we conveniently can't verify. Lumpen, Kashuno, and Ernie. are scum.

haha

Lumpen posted:

Our MasonDoc is only a few lines long.
Ernie has not responded there in a few days since I asked "will you tell me your flavor character name?"

i work 7 days a week. sorry.that said, no. i don't feel like feeding into whatever silly opinion you have about the relevance/irrelevance of me having/not having or me saying/not saying what my flavor is. :shrug:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

there are enough people saying they find hiipfire is suspicious for us to not seriously talk about it as opposed to talking in circles about lumpen

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Chamale posted:

Aaaaaaah!

I'm most suspicious of you, motherfucker. You know you're not trustworthy, and you're trying to lead the new people around by the nose and distract them from yourself. It's not going to work. Scum protects scum, and I wasn't convinced by Kashuno's cute little vote and unvote. See how he's defending you now! Then there's Ernie, who vouched for you, in a way that we conveniently can't verify. Lumpen, Kashuno, and Ernie. are scum.

also this post is really put on

like someone opened a 'How to have an Outburst for Dummies' book and just aped everything they read

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ernie. posted:

i work 7 days a week.

Ernie take some you time :ohdear:

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Lumpen (4): HiipFire, Opopanax, LowellDND, apostateCourier, Kashuno, Rarity, apostateCourier, Kashuno, Chamale, Opopanax
Kashuno (2): TMMadman, Opopanax
HiipFire (1): Kashuno, Kashuno, Ernie.
Rarity (1): fiery_valkyrie, Lumpen, Lumpen
TMMadman (1): Captain Foo, Captain Foo, Captain Foo
imgay (0): apostateCourier, apostateCourier
fiery_valkyrie (0): Ernie., Ernie.
LowellDND (0): Lumpen, Lumpen
Opopanax (0): Rarity, Rarity

Not Voting (7): Acebuckeye13, apostateCourier, Colonel Corazon, imgay, Kashuno, Lumpen, Someone Awful!

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 15th, 2015 at 1 p.m. PDT -- that's in about 22 hours, 50 minutes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Lumpen posted:

(^full post history^)
Hi. You signed up to play a game of Mafia. Don't be shy, we want to hear your thoughts. All thoughts are welcome. You are safe from being voted out D1 no matter what you say.
How does what you've seen in the last 7 pages compare with your bunch of IRL Werewolf D1's? What criteria do you usually use in deciding who to vote for? Who do you think is Scum?
Please take a few minutes to type at least 75 words about this game.

Generally I know who I'm playing with, so I can judge them by how they talk/act when faced with specific accusations. Obviously, this isn't the case here-I don't know anyone, I don't know how anyone usually acts, and the specifics of the format make it much more difficult to judge who's a bad liar and who isn't. So forgive me if I stay out of the opening discussion, since at this point I can't honestly judge any of it.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Ernie. posted:

haha

i work 7 days a week. sorry.that said, no. i don't feel like feeding into whatever silly opinion you have about the relevance/irrelevance of me having/not having or me saying/not saying what my flavor is. :shrug:
That is not very nice to your Mason. I am Capable, one of Immortan Joe's wives, and my PM says I was convinced to leave by Angharad, and I befriended a warboy.

Your reluctance to answer my question leads me to infer that you are probably Nux. I find it kind of suspicious that you avoid saying it to me.

I liked your post about HiipFire, but he's seemed more sincere than Rarity. She liked your post on HiipFire too, strangely enough since shes voting with him.

HiipFire, I would love to hear some :words: from you about Rarity and Ernie.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ernie. posted:

there are enough people saying they find hiipfire is suspicious for us to not seriously talk about it as opposed to talking in circles about lumpen

This post feels weird to me. I think we should be talking about Hiip, but it doesn't mean we should stop taming about Lumpen and that's what it feels like you're trying to imply.

Ernie. posted:

also this post is really put on

like someone opened a 'How to have an Outburst for Dummies' book and just aped everything they read

Also, I don't like this post either. It doesn't seem like an outburst but what he believes. Plus there is a fatal flaw Chamales post because I think that guy is new and he doesn't seem to know that around here it seems like scum throw each other under the bus more often than they protect each other. Lumpen spent half of the Pearl game sniping at me despite both of us being scum there.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Don't concern-troll me. Chamale seems like a big boy who knows what he's doing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Generally I know who I'm playing with, so I can judge them by how they talk/act when faced with specific accusations. Obviously, this isn't the case here-I don't know anyone, I don't know how anyone usually acts, and the specifics of the format make it much more difficult to judge who's a bad liar and who isn't. So forgive me if I stay out of the opening discussion, since at this point I can't honestly judge any of it.

Guys, can we all take a moment to appreciate how poo poo this post is?

Acebuck, the only way to learn is to try.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Meta knowledge of players is useful, but only goes so far and is almost never a reliable primary guide to alignment judging. So no, if you stay out of the opening discussion it reflects badly on you. You can use logic and general expectations of human behavior to get imoressions, inspire questions to ask, etc. Please try your best.

If you're Town, we aren't asking you to solve the game, just participate enough so that your good intentions can be recognized.

If you're Scum, then it's totally understandable that you would excuse yourself like this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, even me and Lumpen can agree on something.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

votefinder posted:

Votecount for Day 1

Lumpen (4): HiipFire, Opopanax, LowellDND, apostateCourier, Kashuno, Rarity, apostateCourier, Kashuno, Chamale, Opopanax
Kashuno (2): TMMadman, Opopanax
HiipFire (1): Kashuno, Kashuno, Ernie.
Rarity (1): fiery_valkyrie, Lumpen, Lumpen
TMMadman (1): Captain Foo, Captain Foo, Captain Foo
imgay (0): apostateCourier, apostateCourier
fiery_valkyrie (0): Ernie., Ernie.
LowellDND (0): Lumpen, Lumpen
Opopanax (0): Rarity, Rarity

Not Voting (7): Acebuckeye13, apostateCourier, Colonel Corazon, imgay, Kashuno, Lumpen, Someone Awful!

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 15th, 2015 at 1 p.m. PDT -- that's in about 22 hours, 50 minutes.

What happens if we hit the deadline and don't have 9 votes on someone?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Guys, can we all take a moment to appreciate how poo poo this post is?

Acebuck, the only way to learn is to try.

Seriously. Half of Mafia seems to be not being afraid to be wrong. So just step up to the plate and start swinging. Nobody is going to hold it against you for being wrong.

Well, at least they won't hold it against you after the game is over. People might hold it against you during the actual game if you are wrong too often. But that still shouldn't stop you from expressing any thoughts or opinions.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LowellDND posted:

Then there is no lynch. It's generally seen as a bad thing and people will usually be around at the deadline to make sure it doesn't happen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

Seriously. Half of Mafia seems to be not being afraid to be wrong. So just step up to the plate and start swinging. Nobody is going to hold it against you for being wrong.

One thing I think hampers town in way too many games is that townies end up being primarily motivated by fear rather than victory. Too many of us care more about survival than we do about making sure town wins at the end of the game and that leads us to hold back.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

LowellDND posted:

A no-lynch wastes a day and so is effectively a free bonus kill for the Scum. Lynching is the only way Town can win, so failing to lynch anyone is a huge failure for Town. D1 is when we have the greatest majority over Scum, so now is the time to get business done.

Questions left unasked, suspicions left unexplored, may be silenced forever by the nightkill. Talk talk talk. D1 is the most productive day of the game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lumpen, are you making flavour cases?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Lumpen posted:

That is not very nice to your Mason. I am Capable, one of Immortan Joe's wives, and my PM says I was convinced to leave by Angharad, and I befriended a warboy.

Your reluctance to answer my question leads me to infer that you are probably Nux. I find it kind of suspicious that you avoid saying it to me.

see, the minute i got my role pm and knew i was a mason, i knew who you were. i don't get why you couldn't arrive at the conclusion privately and then do the logical thing of determining my alignment independently. this whole act about pretending like asking pointless questions is valuable is an annoying meta gimmick. :shrug:

TMMadman posted:

This post feels weird to me. I think we should be talking about Hiip, but it doesn't mean we should stop taming about Lumpen and that's what it feels like you're trying to imply.

yes, because what i meant by my post is "LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT LUMPEN AT ALL"

that's not even close to a second grade reading level comprehension :(

TMMadman posted:

Also, I don't like this post either. It doesn't seem like an outburst but what he believes. Plus there is a fatal flaw Chamales post because I think that guy is new and he doesn't seem to know that around here it seems like scum throw each other under the bus more often than they protect each other. Lumpen spent half of the Pearl game sniping at me despite both of us being scum there.

im suspicious of you motherfucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know you're not trustworthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you're trying to lead the new people around by the nose and distract them from yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not going to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

opop give me a hot take

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

One thing I think hampers town in way too many games is that townies end up being primarily motivated by fear rather than victory. Too many of us care more about survival than we do about making sure town wins at the end of the game and that leads us to hold back.

Which is ironic when you consider that most of the time the N1 kill is usually the person who hadn't put forth any kind of strong opinion. So really, talking and stating opinions is the only real way to care about your own survival.

Don't be afraid to talk or be wrong because we all actually suck at Mafia. We just pretend to be good at it for our own egos.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ernie. posted:

opop give me a hot take

I don't know what that is but ok :forkbomb:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I don't know what that is but ok :forkbomb:

oh you~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i swear to god if you flip scum after that interaction i will move west just to scream at you :3:

• Locked thread