Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Calling Transformers 2 racist is accurate because it either (significantly) reveals the filmmakers passive ignorance or their active bigotry. This scene just reveals the characters' mild, but nonetheless present, jingoism. Bigotry is just another facet to add to a character; and is almost unavoidable in the scope of painting a real picture of a real dead-end, insanely frustrating investigation. Especially since they know that they're getting the run-around by these guys, it is even a tool to be used. The guy that they blew up on has to be commended for not breaking in the slightest when being insulted, since showing even a flicker of understanding could blow their language-barrier cover.

Great scene, though. The show always has the best bits of levity in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I wonder how many times they had to re-do that scene because someone laughed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite is still when the go to the FBI place for the profile.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

LordPants posted:

My favorite is still when the go to the FBI place for the profile.

Yeah, both shutting down that serial killer investigator with raw statistics and then McNulty being told exactly how much of a jackass he is through their profile is sublime.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I still laugh pretty hard when McNulty says "*seek* and you shall find" in a weirdly emphasized way to the guy who's clearly a Sikh.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
A Massachusetts cop pulled a Presbo, but didn't have the familial ties to salvage his job

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/us/massachusetts-police-cruiser-shot/index.html

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

From rewatching it, I now remember why Freaman was my favorite character right from the get-go. He's just hanging out, making his doll furniture while McNulty and Greggs are talking about what a 'hump' he is right in front of him. He doesn't say anything, just goes out and finds a picture of Avon.

This is probably one of the funniest scenes to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWp-Byg0Sc

And I don't remember exactly what episode in season 3 it was, but that part where they first get Bubbles to go into Hamsterdam is just great cinematography. It's like he's pushing a shopping cart through Hell.

E: Does anyone else hate the pronunciation of Carcetti? In my head I always think 'Car-setty' not 'Car-ketty'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 9, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I read the name before I heard it, and initially thought it was Cargetti. It annoyed me the whole time that there wasn't a G in there.

And it didn't sound like "carjetty".

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Done. I don't think I can watch TV ever again. That was... perfect.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

This is probably one of the funniest scenes to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWp-Byg0Sc

Oh poo poo! That's Randy's foster mum!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

no way

e: yes way

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jiggerypokery posted:

Done. I don't think I can watch TV ever again. That was... perfect.

Oh now it's time to watch the whole show AGAIN and pick up on all the little callbacks, callforwards, character-moments, world-building stuff that you might have missed the first time! :getin:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Chris Partlow is a cop in a court scene too.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Strawman posted:

Chris Partlow is a cop in a court scene too.

Interesting:

holttho
May 21, 2007

From the commentary or an interview(I can't recall): the whole time, Gbenga Akinnagbe was saying to himself, "don't look at the camera, don't look at the camera, don't look at the camera..."

...:smithicide:...

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I've been rewatching the series on HBO GO and drat does this show look good in HD. There's so many things I missed on my first go-around that watching it again feels fresh. It's 2015 and I've fallen in love with Freamon all over again. :allears:

MrBling posted:

The various names for the drugs are great.

In one of the seasons they're selling Greenhouse Gas.

"Greenhouse gas is hot, yo!" :q:

I know this is from months ago but one of my favorites was "Swing State" for their product.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Death Grip"

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

After completing my 11th rewatch of The Wire a few weeks ago, I started going through ESPN's 30 for 30 series on Netflix, and tonight I watched the Randy Moss episode titled Rand University. As the narrator started speaking, I thought, "that sounds like Omar". Sure enough, Michael Kenneth Williams was the narrator. Funny enough, I also kept thinking, "man, Randy Moss sounds just like senator Clay Davis." He speaks briefly in this preview clip. Anyone else hear it? It comes out more in the full episode, but I just thought it was weird that the whole time watching it, all I could think about was Omar and Clay Davis.

http://youtu.be/ES5HPkICZtY

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 24, 2015

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

empty baggie posted:

After completing my 11th rewatch of The Wire a few weeks ago, I started going through ESPN's 30 for 30 series on Netflix, and tonight I watched the Randy Moss episode titled Rand University. As the narrator started speaking, I thought, "that sounds like Omar". Sure enough, Michael Kenneth Williams was the narrator. Funny enough, I also kept thinking, "man, Randy Moss sounds just like senator Clay Davis." He speaks briefly in this preview clip. Anyone else hear it? It comes out more in the full episode, but I just thought it was weird that the whole time watching it, all I could think about was Omar and Clay Davis.

http://youtu.be/ES5HPkICZtY

30 for 30 docs are awesome. I never thought I'd give a crap about a Nascar guy in one of the ones on Netflix, but they sure proved me wrong! I also tend to get distracted by 'I know that voice!' with narrators.

My question about my latest rewatch on The Wire is were Poot and Namond the only two that managed to 'get out' of the life? As in the only ones not dead/using/imprisoned/still involved in drugs?

Also, every rewatch makes me love Andre Royo's work more and more. The NA scene where he finally opens up about Sherrod always makes me sad. His whole looking towards the entrance, hoping his sister would show up...

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Bubbles had a happy ending, he was allowed into his sisters house at the end.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

holttho posted:

Calling Transformers 2 racist is accurate because it either (significantly) reveals the filmmakers passive ignorance or their active bigotry. This scene just reveals the characters' mild, but nonetheless present, jingoism. Bigotry is just another facet to add to a character; and is almost unavoidable in the scope of painting a real picture of a real dead-end, insanely frustrating investigation. Especially since they know that they're getting the run-around by these guys, it is even a tool to be used. The guy that they blew up on has to be commended for not breaking in the slightest when being insulted, since showing even a flicker of understanding could blow their language-barrier cover.

Transformers has exactly the same characteristic, it's just that the world is characterized as jingoistic rather than a specific character.

The last movie ends with a robotic Osama Bin Laden dressed in the American Flag blasting off to go kill God in the name of Freedom. It's not that subtle.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

My question about my latest rewatch on The Wire is were Poot and Namond the only two that managed to 'get out' of the life? As in the only ones not dead/using/imprisoned/still involved in drugs?

Cutty got out, but that was an early part of his character arc so I don't know if we want to count it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Would Shardene count?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Would Shardene count?

I wouldn't count her.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Would Shardene count?

Shardene was wearing grandma glasses and never seemed like her heart was really in her job. She wasn't meant for The Game™.

I just finished Season 4 a few minutes ago and goddamn was that hard to get through as a person that's (now) had some experience volunteering/being a TA in the inner city. :smith:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I presume Royce no longer receives drug money, does that count? :D

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

exmachina posted:

Bubbles had a happy ending, he was allowed into his sisters house at the end.

Yeah, I've heard heaps of people say the Wire is depressing and every character ends up in a worse place than they started, which is straight up wrong. Bubbles, Daniels, Prez, Pearlman, Carver, Namond and Cutty are indisputably better off at the end of their arcs than when they started. McNulty, Freamon, Colvin, Carcetti and Poot are arguably better off. Kima, Bunk, Herc, Landsman and Slim Charles are more or less in the same place.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All Donut wanted to do was drive around in cars, and the last we saw of him he was happily doing just that :shobon:

I mean sure it was a stolen car and all.... but he was happy!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 26, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I just finished my rewatch and now there's a void in my soul. People get upset about Frank taking his long walk towards Spiros and The Greek but the scene that hurts me the most is seeing Duquan ask Pryzbylewski for some drug money to cop with his Arabber friend. :smith:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Vanderdeath posted:

I just finished my rewatch and now there's a void in my soul. People get upset about Frank taking his long walk towards Spiros and The Greek but the scene that hurts me the most is seeing Duquan ask Pryzbylewski for some drug money to cop with his Arabber friend. :smith:

With the ending of the show and where everyone end up you at least have Bubbles being clean and finally being invited upstairs to soften the blow, as well as showing that life as a drug addict is something that it is possible to escape from (although also showing that one person recovering doesn't in anyway break the overall cycle).

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

team overhead smash posted:

With the ending of the show and where everyone end up you at least have Bubbles being clean and finally being invited upstairs to soften the blow, as well as showing that life as a drug addict is something that it is possible to escape from (although also showing that one person recovering doesn't in anyway break the overall cycle).

Unfortunately, Duquan doesn't have a support system to fall back on like Bubbles had. He's likely going to be consumed by the streets since he has no family or friends which is why his arc is so depressing to me. The only year of normalcy and peace he had was supported by the Game and ultimately there's little to no escape from it unless you have outside assistance (like Namond).

I also found myself liking Season 5 a lot more this go-around, too. Haynes might be a fairly one-note character, but he wasn't as terrible as I remembered him being. Templeton, on the other hand, is even more of a rat bastard than I recalled. :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I got kind of teary with that final scene between Michael and Bug :smith:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I've been rewatching and am currently on the first few episodes season 5. Previously I've held the belief that this is the worst season, but I don't think a couple of unbelievable characters and story line is anything in comparison to how goddamn boring the first half of season 3 is.

Pretty much nothing happens and I ended fast forwarding through most of it. It does pick up the pace in the second half though, when the Barksdale-Marlo war and the investigation gets going.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Season 3 is just a really long prologue for season 4.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
So I guess you could say it's... All Prologue?

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I got kind of teary with that final scene between Michael and Bug :smith:

Michael's last scene with Dukie was brutal too.
"Yo Mike remember that one summer when we threw pee balloons on those other kids?"
".....I don't."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the thing about season 3, for me at least, is that Marlo only kind of works as an oncoming threat in retrospect. He just doesn't have the same presence that Stringer or Avon or even the Greek had, and he looks and carries himself like half the kids I went to high school with. He just looks like a guy.

frenton posted:

Michael's last scene with Dukie was brutal too.
"Yo Mike remember that one summer when we threw pee balloons on those other kids?"
".....I don't."

Michael is lying in this scene to make Dukie leave, right?

I've seen several people say that he literally doesn't remember this (Because his new life now being so rough that he can't remember such an over the top event I guess), which I find to be a little ridiculous.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 1, 2015

holttho
May 21, 2007

I would say the former. He is deliberately shedding his childhood to become an adult; and Dukie is an anchor that will never become an adult. Even though his childhood is forever gone. Acknowledging the memory to Dukie would just start a reminiscing conversation with, who is now, a worthless junkie, and that is both weak and pointless in The Game.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Raxivace posted:

I think the thing about season 3, for me at least, is that Marlo only kind of works as an oncoming threat in retrospect. He just doesn't have the same presence that Stringer or Avon or even the Greek had, and he looks and carries himself like half the kids I went to high school with. He just looks like a guy.

Michael is lying in this scene to make Dukie leave, right?

I've seen several people say that he literally doesn't remember this (Because his new life now being so rough that he can't remember such an over the top event I guess), which I find to be a little ridiculous.

I always took it that he literally did not remember and never thought twice about it but I actually think you guys are right and that makes it even more depressing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always figured he literally didn't remember - I mean consider all the things he has been through since then, especially the return of his abusive step-father and his complicity in removing him from the picture, or his first homicide. That relatively "innocent" Summer is so long ago for Michael that it might as well have happened to a different person, and he is now living a life where he doesn't even have the luxury of remembering childish antics.