Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm going to plug my "Dual T16000M" control setup again for the new thread. One stick for lateral thrusters and one stick for rotations. It's a very good setup for around $100. Remember the T16000M has very good hall effect sensors for the main axis so it has no dead zone and the lightest touch is registered as control input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

No see the orca is a luxury cruise ship that serves a niche that is not now nor will ever be implemented.

Or November 2015, when 1.5 drops. Whatever comes first.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they mention that in the patch notes for 1.5?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

TomR posted:

I'm going to plug my "Dual T16000M" control setup again for the new thread. One stick for lateral thrusters and one stick for rotations. It's a very good setup for around $100. Remember the T16000M has very good hall effect sensors for the main axis so it has no dead zone and the lightest touch is registered as control input.

This is something I don't understand. Why spend big dollars on a hotas setup, when you could just get a second joystick? It seems like that would be cheaper in most cases.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
People rip on the dropship so much because in theory it should be a thing you can shoot other ships in. I can see why you might think that too, they show up in combat areas and if you've never been in a Vulture you may not even realize the gigantic and apparently entirely external powerplant on a dropship will explode if someone farts in it's general direction. It feels like you've been lied to and perhaps experience some light facial bruising.

E:D players may be dumb enough to buy a "series of patches" at the full price of the base game, but even they aren't dumb enough to buy the Orca.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

New Federal Corvette looks hype. Is that ship class bigger than what was in the game by default?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Did they mention that in the patch notes for 1.5?

It was mentioned by some dev on the forums. Patch notes for 1.5 are a bit far away right now, considering we're still in the beta for 1.4. But even though I'm too lazy to search around the Frontier-forums for the concrete post, I remember the dev mentioning passenger missions coming, which is what passenger ships like the Orca were made for.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's going to be reskinned less profitable trading.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

frank.club posted:

No see the orca is a luxury cruise ship that serves a niche that is not now nor will ever be implemented.

Honestly, how hard would it be to introduce a new class of mission with 'passenger' rather than cargo requirements? Doing this badly & cheaply with the current mission system would be very little effort, and would at least tick that box.

For now though, the Orca is a prestige ship, the one to show that you have 'made it'.

I.E. having 100M+ left over after buying all the ships you might use for anything effectively.

You can fly an ExplOrca too. Whilst it can't jump for poo poo, it's the stylish way to see the stars! You just need to roleplay that you are chilling with your space concubines in the luxury jacuzzi cabin, rather than getting very smelly & going slowly mad in a cheap & nasty Lakon rustbucket.

The WAAAGH! OrKa is the combat variant, used primarily for ramming. With its high speed, and vaguely phallic shape it has maximum comedy annoyance value.

It's also hilarious to pirate with - it's more than capable of dealing with dedicated trader ships, and, well, no one expects the YaaarOrca.

Still, mine will be the first thing I sell if anything else expensive and actually useful appears.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
OH for fucks sake

I was putzing around a LES doing my bounty hunter thing when I see a fight going on in the distance. I boost and lock onto the guy taking it who is at about 5% hull with no shields. I accidentally tap my multigun which spins them but a round doesn't fire. He blows up from the other dude and suddenly all the cops are trying to kick me in the dick

a) the gently caress, I didn't even actually fire
b) how do I pay this without getting blown up?

e: reading up I guess that's my only choice or wait 6 days. Or kill myself in a Sidewinder I guess. This is a really garbage system

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 15, 2015

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

OH for fucks sake

I was putzing around a LES doing my bounty hunter thing when I see a fight going on in the distance. I boost and lock onto the guy taking it who is at about 5% hull with no shields. I accidentally tap my multigun which spins them but a round doesn't fire. He blows up from the other dude and suddenly all the cops are trying to kick me in the dick

a) the gently caress, I didn't even actually fire
b) how do I pay this without getting blown up?

e: reading up I guess that's my only choice or wait 6 days. Or kill myself in a Sidewinder I guess. This is a really garbage system

It's bad yeah, but if you're fast and you come out of supercruise facing the mailslot, I guarantee you the cops won't scan you, they won't have time. Or you could try an outpost, since they will have reduced or no cop presence.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yeh I've dodged them so far

Went to a different system and manged to wing another NPC in a huge firefight and got a 600 fine. At least I had 300k of bounties to turn in first.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xiansi posted:

Honestly, how hard would it be to introduce a new class of mission with 'passenger' rather than cargo requirements? Doing this badly & cheaply with the current mission system would be very little effort, and would at least tick that box.

For now though, the Orca is a prestige ship, the one to show that you have 'made it'.

I.E. having 100M+ left over after buying all the ships you might use for anything effectively.

You can fly an ExplOrca too. Whilst it can't jump for poo poo, it's the stylish way to see the stars! You just need to roleplay that you are chilling with your space concubines in the luxury jacuzzi cabin, rather than getting very smelly & going slowly mad in a cheap & nasty Lakon rustbucket.

The WAAAGH! OrKa is the combat variant, used primarily for ramming. With its high speed, and vaguely phallic shape it has maximum comedy annoyance value.

It's also hilarious to pirate with - it's more than capable of dealing with dedicated trader ships, and, well, no one expects the YaaarOrca.

Still, mine will be the first thing I sell if anything else expensive and actually useful appears.

I'd probably say 'not very'. Actually it'd be really easy. There's one thing that blows my mind that they haven't done and that's adding Euro truck style missions for traders. Like delivering goods for a set and appreciable profit. This would encourage exploration of civilized space and make trading less boring. It seems like it'd be easy to add too! So why not?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is it true, is Frontier the Capcom of PC game development?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Yeh I've dodged them so far

Went to a different system and manged to wing another NPC in a huge firefight and got a 600 fine. At least I had 300k of bounties to turn in first.

Wait, they still have the accidental-tag-an-NPC-with-stray-shots-because-NPC-moves-into-the-way-of-your-guns-while-you-are-shooting-an-enemy-causes-you-to-be-shot-at-and-ruthlessly-hunted-by-sector-security? I would have thought by now they would have added something like three shots and your out, or only KOS when your fine is like 10k.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

xiansi posted:

I disagree. In fact I think the dot smells quite nice. Everything looks beautiful around the dot. Especially my diamondback, when I'm around the dot. The dot has given me a new sense of pleasure in my surroundings. But you wouldn't know that, would you? Your orca will never jump you far enough to reach the reclusive corners of our material plane where the dot dwells. I hear only the words of one who has never experienced the dot. Such naysayers may be disregarded, for their experiences are shallow and unfulfilled, untouched by the dot, as if they have never lived at all.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So I think I'm gonna take another exploration trip. First one was in an Asp, should I do it again in that ship? I have 55mil in assets.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Crimson Harvest posted:

So I think I'm gonna take another exploration trip. First one was in an Asp, should I do it again in that ship? I have 55mil in assets.

The next level up from an Asp is an Anaconda which you don't have the scratch for so, yeah, Asp.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Count me in as another person crazy enough to make the journey out to Sag A*. What more fitting, then, than to dump a unit of Alpha Centauri's Mega Gin.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

CountingWizard posted:

Wait, they still have the accidental-tag-an-NPC-with-stray-shots-because-NPC-moves-into-the-way-of-your-guns-while-you-are-shooting-an-enemy-causes-you-to-be-shot-at-and-ruthlessly-hunted-by-sector-security? I would have thought by now they would have added something like three shots and your out, or only KOS when your fine is like 10k.

Yeh, looks like it. He was behind a dude I was tearing up and when the guy exploded, the npc was directly behind the explosion where I couldn't see him, and he got tagged.

I just need to H out and back and pay it, the 6000 in the one loving expansion system is the much more annoying one. 6000 credits is such a sad amount of money it's insane that there's no way to deal with it besides a giant wait blocking me from a critical system or suicide.

v Alright, that's easier I guess, but it's lame overall.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 15, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Protip: you don't have to pay it. Legacy fines are a meaningless idiot tax.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 15, 2015

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
CQC owns bones. Everyone beta access is up and I enjoy blowing up ships and being blown up in a ship. Actually the update seems to be well done and I wish they would have put this in before Powerplay.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So as someone who only bounty hunts and has no interest in trading or exploration, is a Cobra the next logical upgrade from the Viper?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you only bounty hunt you may as well stay in the Viper. The Cobra is marginally better but much more expensive. It really wins out on flexibility which it sounds like you don't need.

If you've got a bunch of credits burning in your pocket you can try one out though; it's a nice ship
Edit: Also I was disappointed that I couldn't store a ship with commodities in it. I wanted to keep some rare beer I flew almost 1million ls to get as a momento but when I was storing that ship to do something else it made me sell it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So as someone who only bounty hunts and has no interest in trading or exploration, is a Cobra the next logical upgrade from the Viper?

Wouldn't the Imperial Courier make more sense? The Cobra is more for people who want to do a little bit of trading or exploring on the side. It's not a bad ship, but if you only want to fight, the Viper or the Imperial Eagle followed by the Imperial Courier and then by the Vulture is the logical progression.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Viper feels fragile when an Anaconda comes up Wanted so I wouldn't say it's the easiest ship

in RES I just wait until there's a critical mass of green cops, then fly out and zap Wanted ships that clearly outclass me and kite them back to the group who promptly take them out. 4 pip engines on a Viper means nearly constant boost!

Would be nice to move into a Courier though

e: Question about weapon sizes, Small vs Medium vs Large. Is it a giant boost? Going from 4 mounts on my Viper to 3 on a Courier to 2 on the Vulture feels odd but I assume the bigger sizes more than makes up for losing the extra attacks?

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 15, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GaylordButts posted:

That one is very unlikely to change, he's just saying you can get rank 5 in about 10 hours and maintain it in 5 every week and then he's taking the 50million credit weekly paycheck for rank 5 and dividing by the hours required. Several goons have done that painful grind already, not sure how long it actually took them but at least a few sped it up by doing it in a wing. The biggest thing to keep in mind is:
  • You won't get paid until the end of the second week maintenance.
  • If you fail to get your needed 10k merits at the end of the weekly cycle (sometime on Thursdays) you get the rank 4 payout instead, and it's significantly shittier.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Ignoring the 50 million weekly stipend, with the bounty bonuses it is super easy for you to get 10 mil an hour just bounty hunting with the rank 5 bonus. Or even more. I clocked in 15 million in less than an hour just farting around half-assedly resetting a HiRES.

Cool, thanks for the info. From what I can gather, this method seems to be the highest form of income in the game currently, correct? Or are there still yet better methods that only those who are in with the Mumble Illuminati are privy to?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Siets posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. From what I can gather, this method seems to be the highest form of income in the game currently, correct? Or are there still yet better methods that only those who are in with the Mumble Illuminati are privy to?

This is probably the quickest way, yes. It takes some low to moderate poopsocking, but if you like flying around and blowing poo poo up it's not a big deal.

Also we don't have a mumble illuminati, just an IRC autocracy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Viper feels fragile when an Anaconda comes up Wanted so I wouldn't say it's the easiest ship

in RES I just wait until there's a critical mass of green cops, then fly out and zap Wanted ships that clearly outclass me and kite them back to the group who promptly take them out. 4 pip engines on a Viper means nearly constant boost!

Would be nice to move into a Courier though

e: Question about weapon sizes, Small vs Medium vs Large. Is it a giant boost? Going from 4 mounts on my Viper to 3 on a Courier to 2 on the Vulture feels odd but I assume the bigger sizes more than makes up for losing the extra attacks?

I think every weapon size upgrade does about 50% more damage than the previous level or something like that. There's also the hull damage modifier against larger ships to take into account as well - so even though 3 smalls and 2 mediums have the same raw damage per shot, the smalls' effective damage will be lower vs. larger ships.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I'm super critical of this game, but this isn't fair. Planetary landings were announced as a paid expansion feature right from the beginning, along with some other random ideas like capital ship control and stuff. They've done a good enough job of checking all the feature boxes, it's just fleshing those features out and making them, uh, fun that's actually been a problem.

I stand corrected. I seem to have a vague memory of a very early video of Braben talking about procedural generation and flying through some gas giant clouds and must have mistakenly grouped that together with planetary landings in my head as something that would be included with the full-price game once released. I don't usually follow kickstarters and early access things too closely so I wasn't aware that it was planned for a paid expansion from day one, but that's what was said the whole time then it's my fault for not knowing.

I still think it kind of sucks that, and please correct me if I have this wrong, if I had waited to get the game I could've paid once for all of it, Horizons included, rather than having to pay about the same as I paid for the base game to upgrade to horizons. Does this mean it will be more worth my while waiting until the third expansion comes out and making one payment for both?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Cactus posted:

Does this mean it will be more worth my while waiting until the third expansion comes out and making one payment for both?

That'll likely be the case.

However I think this is a strange way to think about it. You may pay less in the future, but you pay now to access content and have fun now.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I love this guy..<3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXzEQyacMw

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cactus posted:

I still think it kind of sucks that, and please correct me if I have this wrong, if I had waited to get the game I could've paid once for all of it, Horizons included, rather than having to pay about the same as I paid for the base game to upgrade to horizons. Does this mean it will be more worth my while waiting until the third expansion comes out and making one payment for both?
Do you complain on Steam if a game you've had and played for a year drops in price, or a GOTY edition with all the DLC comes out?

It's not like they snuck this poo poo on people a month before Horizons releases, there's been nearly 6 months of forewarning.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Yes he rules, and his videos rule.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Do you complain on Steam if a game you've had and played for a year drops in price, or a GOTY edition with all the DLC comes out?

It's not like they snuck this poo poo on people a month before Horizons releases, there's been nearly 6 months of forewarning.

Had the pricing been announced that far in advance? I don't recall anything until it showed up in the store with their stellar "limited time loyalty discount" to save tenbux. I'm fine with them selling expansions, but usually those aren't the same price as the base game and when I buy an expansion I know at least an idea of the full content of it and not this "It's a year of updates *wink*" crap.

As someone who is also trying to avoid KS/Early Access stuff the longer you can hold off on buying this game the better. It needed WAY more time to bake when I bought "version 1.0" back in January and should still have an Early Access banner slathered across it's steam page.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GaylordButts posted:

Had the pricing been announced that far in advance? I don't recall anything until it showed up in the store with their stellar "limited time loyalty discount" to save tenbux. I'm fine with them selling expansions, but usually those aren't the same price as the base game and when I buy an expansion I know at least an idea of the full content of it and not this "It's a year of updates *wink*" crap.

As someone who is also trying to avoid KS/Early Access stuff the longer you can hold off on buying this game the better. It needed WAY more time to bake when I bought "version 1.0" back in January and should still have an Early Access banner slathered across it's steam page.

On the other hand, if you like flying spaceships and aren't really interested in any of that superfluos other crap, preordering the game and every expansion as soon as it is possible isn't a bad decision either.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Maneuvering is fun but outside of combat there doesn't seem to be much you do. Taking off and landing is really cool and are still the most impressive moments I've had in the game. So far everything else is just point at star, space warp key, point at nav target, slow down, space warp key. Are there tasks out there that are more interactive?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

Maneuvering is fun but outside of combat there doesn't seem to be much you do. Taking off and landing is really cool and are still the most impressive moments I've had in the game. So far everything else is just point at star, space warp key, point at nav target, slow down, space warp key. Are there tasks out there that are more interactive?

Yes, you could try to reach the galactic edge, for example. Or try to make your own private map of human space. Or make up any other tasks you prefer. Some people even do some mining.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
How far out do you need to go before you start consistently finding unexplored systems? I've found a couple around red giants but the more promising ones are, predictably, explored. I'm going 'up' and around the galaxy instead of toward the middle. I haven't gone very far yet, I'm just wondering when I might start hitting pay dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

GaylordButts posted:

Horizons isn't going to be released until the end of this year at the earliest, even if you buy it now you don't get poo poo until then

So yeah, that's roughly six months in advance (announced in August as far as I remember).

GaylordButts posted:

Well sure, that's valid. There's still a lot of stuff the game needs that's not there right now. Although they were pretty clear during the KS that this would be an ongoing project.

Hand wringing about Horizons purchasers being "rewarded" for waiting and getting the base game for free is total bollocks though. The loyalty discount for existing players could be more in my opinion, but giving the base game away with Horizons actually makes sense. It will be a year old by then after all, and it'll encourage new players to come in.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 16, 2015

• Locked thread