Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I had an idea to revise Plutomancy that might also fit with Kleptocracy. Plutomancy feels weird to me, because the modern perception of wealth isn't hoarding money without spending it, Scrooge McDuck-style, it's all about living beyond your means. So you'd gain charges by racking up debt, which means between credit cards, student loans, mortgages, etc. you'd rack up a ton in a socially acceptable way, but your taboo would prohibit paying those debts. So you'd either be like a dipsomancer who can rack up a few charges easily but can't hold onto them, or you'd spiral out of control as you do everything you can to open fraudulent lines of credit and evade your creditors to hoard charges.

Much like real debt, the former is more sensible living, but when you're living large, both financially and magically, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that you're actually desperately poor and your wealth is just further impoverishing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

At the risk of overt self-promotion

I vote this!

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

ZeeToo posted:

So it turns out I'm going to have to ask for audience participation. For the tournament fight next adventure, the Age of Worms team is going to need a name for the group to fight under.

The enemy teams vary from "Guttuggers" to "Sapphire Squad" to "One of Us" to "Auric's Warband" to "The Woodchuckers", so there's a lot of possible space for names.

Damodar's Best.

(Holy crap, did anyone know that WotC made introductory adventures based on the movie o_O ?)

Doresh fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 13, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This Space Intentionally Left Blank.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

United Problem-Murderers National Union #33.

UPMNU helps keep villages safe for me and U.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

theironjef posted:

Another vote for this!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

oriongates posted:

I was always a little surprised that there wasn't some kind of hoarding adept. I always felt the "hoarder" style would actually fit Cliomancers better than their current charging paradigm. I love the theme and ideas behind cliomancer powers but their charging/taboo always felt out of place among the other adepts. A "mad collector" sort of character who hoards anything old, regardless of value, seemed like it might work better.

Isn't the Bibliomancer basically a hoarder, just with a focus to it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Only insofar as actual book collectors are. A Bibliomancer can (and often will) have a very organized library that is immaculately maintained. Because they're rare book collectors.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cheesedudes, please dudes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mors Rattus posted:

Only insofar as actual book collectors are. A Bibliomancer can (and often will) have a very organized library that is immaculately maintained. Because they're rare book collectors.

Biblios have a bitch of a taboo in that they can't destroy or discard books, and they need a permanent home for their library. As far as I know, magazines count. Imagine all the junk mail poo poo they get stuck with. You could probably build a campaign around a Biblio who wants to destroy a mass mailing company for essentially religious reasons.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
While I agree with Cheese Dudes as the name, something like 'The Full Monte'. Can't think of anything that could make use of Mearls' name.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Mearls before Swine.

Edit: Feed Mearls to pigs.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Forgotten Mearls.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Pirates of DMG'n: Curse of the Hack Mearls

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

theironjef posted:

Voting for this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Biblios have a bitch of a taboo in that they can't destroy or discard books, and they need a permanent home for their library. As far as I know, magazines count. Imagine all the junk mail poo poo they get stuck with. You could probably build a campaign around a Biblio who wants to destroy a mass mailing company for essentially religious reasons.

The library near the guy's house hates him, because he just drops them in the donation box.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Cythereal posted:

Isn't the Bibliomancer basically a hoarder, just with a focus to it?

Owning tons of books, even ones you'll never read, isn't hoarding. Even when owning and transporting all those books makes it harder to live your life, it isn't hoarding. It's maintaining a varied and well-stocked library.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mors Rattus posted:

The library near the guy's house hates him, because he just drops them in the donation box.

Oh, you can't even give books away. I doubt that, for example, coupon books and sale papers are a problem, but if comics and magazines count for your library, you're probably stuck with all those catalogues.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
A hording school might be best represented as a combination of Bibliomancy and Videomancy. The hoarder could build minor charges by adding to a specific collection, and significant changes by completing this collection, with the trick being that the objects he's collecting are the vessels for his charges. There are even built in paradoxes here:

-A hoarder could rack up huge numbers of minor charges by collecting something commonplace like newspapers, but that would mean he can never earn a Significant charge from them because there is a new one each day.

-Earning a Signficant charge from a collection means that you can never earn new charges from that collection, because it has been completed.

-If the hoarder would have to carry his stuff with him to use them for charges, he risks breaking his collection in the same way that a Dipsomancer's significant vessel is a target for in-the-know rival cabals.

There's definitely some compelling material there. I'm actually tempted to write something...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, you can't even give books away. I doubt that, for example, coupon books and sale papers are a problem, but if comics and magazines count for your library, you're probably stuck with all those catalogues.

If I recall, you can trade books, but only for books of greater value.

This is a person who breaks into the library, steals books, and leaves catalogues in their place.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Eh, if you're going to gain power from hoarding, making holding onto all the junk you pick up throughout the day for a minor charge makes sense. The next level is annual things, something that are rare to get but still get outdated like Sears catalogs or end of year tax info. The final one is holding onto things like vacuum tubes from an ENIAC style super computer or a ledger from a business that went under a long, long time ago. Set the though behind it to holding onto things that could have a use, in theory, but you know deep down inside they'll never be used again. And it all goes to hell when that twisty tie you've had in your pocket for three days really did come in handy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I want to see a MacGyvermancer now.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

I want to see a MacGyvermancer now.
Minor taboo: never use a gun.
Strict taboo: never do anything the easy way, overdo and complicate everything.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I just realized the common thread we've seen so far in Postmodern Magick. It's full of stuff that would be really interesting and compelling for player characters to encounter, but not to actually play as. As such it's no doubt a great asset for GMs but kind of impractical for players. We've already seen this with the crazy rituals described, but that also includes stuff like Iconomancy (playing as an Elvis impersonator would get real old, whereas it would be a real fun encounter for players to go up against one), Irascimancy (how do you break this Adept whose's wrecking your cabal? Find a way to provoke him!) and, as stated, Oneiromancy (where the GM fully controls whether he or she gets Major charges).

Tasoth posted:

Eh, if you're going to gain power from hoarding, making holding onto all the junk you pick up throughout the day for a minor charge makes sense. The next level is annual things, something that are rare to get but still get outdated like Sears catalogs or end of year tax info. The final one is holding onto things like vacuum tubes from an ENIAC style super computer or a ledger from a business that went under a long, long time ago. Set the though behind it to holding onto things that could have a use, in theory, but you know deep down inside they'll never be used again. And it all goes to hell when that twisty tie you've had in your pocket for three days really did come in handy.

See to me the thing about hoarding is that it is an element of obsessive-compulsive disorder, meaning that it is a.) an obsession, b.) a compulsion and c.) rooted in mental illness. I don't think it would have quite the same impact if the character knows deep inside that what he's doing is pointless. Instead it should be exactly the point. I've got to hold onto these yellowed newspapers because they're important, dag-nabbit! Anyone can see that! It also embraces the compulsive shopper aspect of many hoarders, where they will have bags and bags and bags of new, unworn clothing filling their home.

I was thinking about this while doing morning exercises and I think I'm going to write it up like I did the Motor-Shaman. The problem is making it distinct from the Bibliomancer, since my first through is you gain a minor charge whenever you add $100.00 of value to a Minor Collection, which encompasses things that are commonplace and that anyone can acquire, like current run comic books. Significant Collections are comprised of things that are of limited availability and where each piece of the collection is in some way distinct, like first issues of famous comic books. If you have Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #1, those are both worth one Significant Charge, but if you already have DC #1, you don't get a charge from collecting another one.

Major Collections are comprised of things that are one of a kind and have major cultural significance like Bob Kane's original drawing of Batman, or, like, presidential skulls or something.

The Taboo could be that if you encounter a piece that belongs in your collection, you must collect. For Minor Collections, you can make a Self-check to resist this Taboo if you've already collected a Minor Charge in the past [Soul] hours, but for Significant and Major Charges, you don't have a choice. If a comic book collecting hoarder sees Giant Size X-Men #1 in a picture frame in his employer's office, he must collect it within [Soul] Hours, or all his charges are voided.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Green Intern posted:

Pirates of DMG'n: Curse of the Hack Mearls

Sounds like a new next thread title.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I watch too much American Pickers, so I'm wondering if you should limit it to just one collection. Plenty of the guys they visit will have a garage full of old cars, a few boxes of buttons, a room full of signs, a barn full of old toys, etc.

An American Pickers/Friday The 13th: The Series style campaign about traveling through America looking for occult objects would be amazing.

Cracked provided the most UA thing I've seen in ages:

quote:

The grisly nature of James Dean's demise had two effects: mourning super-fans of the legend, and poo poo-eye journalists doing their level best to embellish the events so said fans would keep buying papers. According to our good friends, horseshit tabloids, Vampira performed a complex black magic ritual that ended with sticking a mutilated photo of Dean on a wall with a knife, which naturally fell down the very same second the actor perished.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-insane-but-intriguing-theories-about-famous-dead-people/

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 14, 2015

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Count Chocula posted:

I watch too much American Pickers, so I'm wondering if you should limit it to just one collection. Plenty of the guys they visit will have a garage full of old cars, a few boxes of buttons, a room full of signs, a barn full of old toys, etc.

An American Pickers/Friday The 13th: The Series style campaign about traveling through America looking for occult objects would be amazing.
Absolutely they can, which would create a built-in tension to the school. The more collections he has, the more charges the adept can build, but if his taboo forces him to add to his collection or risk losing everything, then each collection he builds makes his life that much more difficult.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Count Chocula posted:

I'm in the midst of reading a story like that in the new Delta Green anthology. Poor protagonist doesn't seem to know what she's getting into though...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ZeeToo posted:

So it turns out I'm going to have to ask for audience participation. For the tournament fight next adventure, the Age of Worms team is going to need a name for the group to fight under.

The enemy teams vary from "Guttuggers" to "Sapphire Squad" to "One of Us" to "Auric's Warband" to "The Woodchuckers", so there's a lot of possible space for names.

Fragile Porcelain Mice

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

I just realized the common thread we've seen so far in Postmodern Magick. It's full of stuff that would be really interesting and compelling for player characters to encounter, but not to actually play as.

That's pretty much UA adepts in general, though. It can be difficult to keep a group dynamic going if multiple members of the group have various antisocial (self-inflicted) mental illnesses. But if they didn't, the case could be made that they aren't paying a high enough price for their magic.

I don't think it's happenstance that in the fairly long (20+ month) UA campaign I was once in, members of our cabal generally drifted from adepts to avatars as the challenge level ratcheted up.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Phew, time to get going again.

Magical Professions

Sorcery & Witchcraft vs Ways of Sorcery. I'm a bit torn with this one. The 4.1 version has more style, but it repeats the mistake of Ways of the Sword by not making the heroes all that interesting. It's even worse here because all the heroes are in the background.
Also, what is it with TDE cover artists making up horned bat creatures that don't actually exist in the game?

Magic. It's not all that uncommon in the lands of Aventuria, but it's one of those settings. You know, the kind of fantasy setting that stayed oddly historic, with the existence of magic having little to no influence on everyday life or warfare (excluding metaplot events we're poo poo gets really silly, but that's a story for a different post).

(Okay, the Tulamidian city states actually have bazars where you can by magic tat if you can afford it, but that's to be expected from Arabian Nights Land)

Types of Magic

The most common type of magic is spell magic, where every spell is learned and used like a skill. Ritual magic usually relates to curses, familiars and enchanting your profession's iconic equipment (like a staff). Rituals are bought like not-Feats and are checked with a universal (for your profession at least) ritual skill that is therefore pretty expensive as far as skills go.

The third kind of magic is free magic, where the caster can do pretty much anything by just spending enough astral points. Naturally, this is reserved for a few kinds of ancient dragons, kobolds (the Germanic leprechaun dudes, not the D&D critters) and overpowered caster NPCs.

The spellcasters of Myranor (who all wear a silly-looking, three-eyed domino mask ) employ a fourth kind of magic that sorta acts like a more player-friendly version of free magic. They buy ranks in different, broad aspects like Damage or Summoning and make spells up on the fly, like Talislanta.

Types of Casters

Spellcasters in TDE come in three different tiers, which determines the caster's base Astral Point bonus and his overall access to magic stuff.

Fullcasters are your full-time mages that get all the good stuff, with a broad selection of spells and a couple rituals to play with. They also tend to be the only casters with access to damage-dealing spells, summoning and other reality-warping fun.
Halfcasters Are generally crappier fullcasters, with access to either spell magic (with a much smaller list than fullcasters) or ritual magic.
Quartercasters are either magi dilletantes who just bought this as an advantage, or very specialized proper professions with a bit of magic power. These professions are all limited to ritual magic, and their brand of ritual magic has very similar effects to spells, making the distinction a bit odd.

The Elements

Aventurian magic assumes a slightly expanded version of the traditional four elements. Earth got replaced with Ore, and there's an additional elemental duo in the form of Humus (the plant- and life-aspect of Earth) and Ice (the cold-aspect of water and the closest thing to a death element).
Suffice to say, if you run into a Druid who's big into ice magic, chances are the guy is a bit evil.

While every elemental spell can generally exist for each and every element, these variations tend to be extremely rare, and the most iconic version (usually fire when it comes to damage spells) sees far wider usage than anyone else.
If you come across an elemental variation, you can enjoy some altered effects (a wind damage spell deals Stamina damage only, but causes huge knockback; an Ore damage spell lets you wreck buildings like a siege engine).

Fun Fact about Spells

Whereas D&D and its derivatives tend to write spell names in italics, TDE goes for the all caps approach, which I will preserve for immersiveness. I'm already looking forward to the spell chapter.

Speaking of spell names: In a bit of neat flavoring, all spell names in TDE are actually the first half of a rhyme, with the last half acting as a sub-title in the full spell description. Examples (that actually work in English) include MAY LIGHTNING FIND YOU (and blind you), or BLACK AND RED (now you're dead).

(Sadly, 4th edition downplayed this, often omitting the last part of the rhyme)

The Professions: Fullcasters

Crystallomancers

The ancient art of Achaz sorcery that is a mere shadow of the power of their former masters. They carry around a pouch full of gems, and casting a spell requires them to hold out the correct types of gems (meaning they now of about spell tags), which makes the spell easier to cast and cheaper. On the downside, they completely blow if you take away their collection.
They also have rituals dealing with crystal orbs, because the name gotta come from somewhere.

Druids

Your typical tree-hugging dudes who are not elves. Unlike D&D, they are more into elemental spells than wildshaping (which is something the elves seem to do more often). Aside from spells, they can use their rituals to create a mandrake familiar, or perform a couple Voodoo-like tricks with their ritualistic obsidian dagger.
Just like in D&D, druids suffer even heftier penalties for wearing armor, or really anything made out of metal.

A cousin of the Druid is the Geode, the only kind of dwarven spellcaster. They're pretty similar overall, but have a much better fashion sense. As being more interested in nature than mines is pretty strange for any dwarf (except the hill dwarves), Geodes are generally seen as weirdoes in their own culture.

Elves

As already mentioned, every elf is a fullcaster, giving him a broad range of spells (though with less blastery stuff) and rituals dealing with performing magical songs (making them bards of sorts) and creating a bond with their soulmate for a healthy, non-sexual relationship (like whatever the hell McLeod and Ramirez did on Zeist).
As they cast spells by weaving magical songs or something, elves are hit with a cumulative penalty if they keep failing at casting the same spell over and over (as the leftover magic residue gets in the way).

Mages (or rather Guild Mages)

Your typical wizard dudes who studied the art of sorcery in a school. This being TDE, there are around 40 different schools of magic, each having their own profession (or sub-professions, cause some schools offer different courses). The most interesting (or at least craziest) school is probably Drakonia. It's not only build on top of a mountain in such a way that you need the help of elementals to get there in the first place, but it is also a former giant fortress whose dimensions are so large the whole school barely needs a quarter of the place. If you want to run a Harry Potter campaign in Aventuria, this is probably the best Hogwarts you will find.

Mages have a very broad selection of spells, and their rituals primarily deal with enchanting their mage staff (wands work too, but they can't be enchanting as much). The first enchantment any staff already starts out with makes it indestructible. Further enchantments can do fun stuff like create light, turn the staff into a rope, act as a catalyst that makes spells cheaper, turn the staff into a flaming sword that can fight on its own, or transform the staff into a snake in case you want to play Moses (which is a silly thing to do as there are no Egypts in Aventuria).

Mages can be found all over Aventuria, and they're the only generally accepted kind of caster in the middle of the continent (where the common people fear and distrust spellcasters).
As guild mages, they benefit from a couple advantages like unrestricted access to any library, but they also have to live with plenty of social taboos, the breaking of which will net you a visit by the local inquisition or your school's elite death squad.
These taboos essentially force mages to dress up in stereotypical mage getup, so that anyone can identify the dangerous reality-warping guy on sight (well, it beats having to sew a pentagram on your clothes...). They are also not allowed to carry any weapon other than their staff, a dagger and maybe a sling. I'm not sure why people are concerned about fireball-slinging dudes being allowed to carry an axe, but I guess the designers were just paranoid about mages buffing themselves into combat beasts.

(There are two exceptions to these taboos: the mages from the only Thorwalian mage school can wear and wield anything they want, because robes are really counter-productive on a longship and real vikings don't wear robes. There's also a school for combat mages that also act as Middlerealmian officers. These guys are allowed to carry a longsword and get themselves some padded armor.)

The various schools of magic are run by one of three mage orders, which split the Aventurian mage population into white mages (your default mage dude who can primarily be found in middle Aventuria), gray mages (north Aventurian mages who like to hang out with druids and elves) and black mages (south Aventurian mages who don't let silly things like ethics get in the way of their research, though even they have standards and generally ban anyone who turns into a mad scientist / supervillain).

Witches

Pretty standard for a witch: A selection of healing and cursing powers, familiars like cats and frogs who are good at spying and delivering curses (but barely survive one round of combat), and an annual event where they create the paste needed to keep their wooden flying apparatus of choice going. The only noteworthy part is that witchers (aka male witches) seem to be more common than in other games.
I think the best RAW way of driving your GM insane is in getting your hands on one of those wooden Samurai armors from Maraskan and use that as your broomstick alternative.

If you're wondering how TDE balances a spellcaster who starts of with a sort of permanent Flight from the get-go, it's actually pretty easy: Witches and witchers suffering a huge penalty to any spellcasting attempt where they don't have both feets on the ground. So your wooden power armor witch should better get herself a bow.

The Professions: Halfcasters

Fun fact about these guys: Whoever calculated the CharGen point costs for these professions in 4.0 forgot about the free spells every caster gets. Some of these actually have a negative cost if calculated correctly.

Charlatans

The crappy cousins of the mages, these guys can only cast illusion spells and other spells that are flashy, but overall harmless - which is probably why they don't have to deal with this dress code taboo. Nevertheless, they like dressing extra gaudy to impress the simple folks.

Naturally, the one charlatan lady that joins you in Drakensang dresses like a stray and has a spell selection that is more mage-like.

Knaves/Pranksters

Humans who have been kidnapped as babies by kobolds and now wander Aventuria as annoying pranksters, like a spellcaster version of Till Eulenspiegel (the wandering trickster of German folklore). I'd have to do research for that, but I'm pretty positive these guys are around as popular on gaming tables as Kender.

While their spells only consist of prank-type stuff (which can still work nice for debuff purposes), their greatest strength lies in the kobold nature of their magic, allowing them to ignore a good chunk of the enemy's magic resistance. They pretty much rule in exploiting an enemy spellcaster's taboo (especially when it comes to druids and crystallomancers).

Their one big taboo penalizes them with a huge penalty if they ever kill someone or cause lasting harm. So you better argue that you never intended for the poor baron to slip on the banana peel and then fall down the spiral staircase.

Shamans

Though they are spellcasters, their role as tribal priests means they get covered in the divine section. Moving on.

Spelldancers

Also known as Sharisad, they are magical belly dancers. Largely female, but there are a couple male equivalents. Another bard-ish profession with a very limited pool of magical stuff to do.

Zibilja

The main kind of Norbardian spellcaster, they also act as priest to their bee goddess, though they are apparently not priest-y enough to be moved into the divine book. As their rituals and magical symbols are largely about protecting their caravan, they aren't really good PC material.

The Professions: Quartercasters

Alchemist

What little magic they have goes into brewing stuff. Imagine a much less insane version of the Pathfinder Alchemist.

Dervish

Aka the Drum Bard, delivering magical beats in service of not-Allah.

Ferkina Possessed

This not-Arabic berserker uses magic to get himself into a blood frenzy.

Gjalsker Animal Warrior

Your typical barbaric totem warrior dude, using magic abilities to partially transform into their totem animal.

Next Time: Not-clerics and Not-paladins. Also more fluff dealing with gods and demons. Let's see if we can spot any Chaos Gods.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 14, 2015

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
You forgot to tell them about the size of Wege der Zauberei.

You see, itīs not just a rules update from TDE 4.0 to 4.1. Itīs also a tool to murder people by throwing the book at them because it sits at 433 pages of a hardcover book with rather nice quality pages but big as hell.

Also, the white mages/grey mage/black mage are more akin to "Lawful Stupid/Uncaring Egotist/Megalomaniacal", as far as I remember the Greyguild for example is not so much a collection of people that like to hang out with druids and stuff but rather people who donīt wish to follow a) all the rules (like white mages) and b) may care about people (unlike black mages). Or because the school they are coming from simply doesnīt care.

And Drakonia is indeed awesome, because itīs less of a Hogwarts and more of a AVATAR-THE LAST ELEMENTAL BENDER school of kind because you get people who simply donīt know or care about the outside world (the game enforces this with handicaps which suck donkey balls) and all the elements are kind of worshipped there. Also these were the guys that basically walked out into the world after a 100 years of self-inflicted isolation into the great continental mage meetup and basically fireballed their admission into the event because they kept up magic that had been lost for centuries. Sadly, starting as one of these guys is hella expensive and as such your character will have handicaps the length of a common mafiosi rap sheet (Ok, so I have brittle bones, am a spirit receptacle, are as curious as a 2-year-old chihauha and have about the same level of phobia, also I fear several different things as if they were deadly to me, among them water and of course I have a true name handicap [meaning you can be magically controlled if someone knows] and for those last few points...oh, letīs take something really stupid....erhh.....oh, I know, I am also a couch-potato, because that is always fun with the penalties attached...)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I love your suggestion of Medieval Witch Iron Man.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Mors Rattus posted:

If I recall, you can trade books, but only for books of greater value.

This is a person who breaks into the library, steals books, and leaves catalogues in their place.

You can trade books, but only for a copy of the book of greater value. So you can trade that ratty copy of Amazing Spiderman # 123 for a signed copy or a mint condition copy, but not for a copy of Spiderman #101 or a superman comic. What defines a "book" can get a little nebulous however, so it'd probably be an open question

The main thing that separates Bibliomancers from standard hoarders is that they're compelled by their taboo to keep their collection safe and organized (although it needn't be a standard means of organization) and in a suitable state for reading (even if you don't). It's what keeps you from sticking your books in a steel safe under your floorboards.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

kaynorr posted:

That's pretty much UA adepts in general, though. It can be difficult to keep a group dynamic going if multiple members of the group have various antisocial (self-inflicted) mental illnesses. But if they didn't, the case could be made that they aren't paying a high enough price for their magic.

I don't think it's happenstance that in the fairly long (20+ month) UA campaign I was once in, members of our cabal generally drifted from adepts to avatars as the challenge level ratcheted up.

That's in theme, though. The Adepts are the hook - 'hey, its the game where you can play a magick drunk or porn star'. But the real occult power in the setting comes from being an Avatar.

I think the Adepts that reward things a certain kind of player would want to do anyway work. Somebody in a modern seedy game is always going to want to play a rough drunk, so there's your Dipso. There's always a guy who takes dumb risks, so they can play an Entropomancer. Wizard book guy gets to be the Bibliomancer, and the player who really wants to be Hunter S Thompson can be a Narco-Alchemist. Urbanomancers and Cliomancers are more situational, but if you're playing in New York or LA or whatever there's probably somebody who likes to at least pretend they know all the local lore and best cafes.

I was joking about Bibliomancy not being hoarding; I was only saying its different because it's a form of hoarding I practice. And I think that would be a great way to present the school - they're actually hoarders. It's clear to everyone but themselves that they are hoarders. But they put on a facade of being well-read gentlemen, even if they can't leave their house because moving requires shifting 20 boxes of fifty cent sci-fi paperbacks. It puts them on par with other Adepts.

Maybe you can extend it to all physical media. As the world gets more digital, people with CD collections or DVD collections or VHS collections become more obsolete. You could turn that into a School. The trick would be that the physical media would have to be WORSE than the digital media. So a guy with a record collection isn't an adept, and a guy with 16mm prints of movies isn't an Adept. But somebody who collects cassette tapes or VHSes might qualify.

Or you can just play a Borges based Bibliomancer.

Is there a school based on mazes yet?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 15, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I could totally understand that because I've almost completely given up paper books in favor of my e-reader because it's so convenient, but I keep buying hardbacks just to have them.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Meanwhile, CthulhuTech v2 entered open beta and is free for anyone to download.

CthulhuTech v2 disclaimer posted:

We've heard the feedback from the community, so the Shadow War focuses on the awesomeness of being an occult super-hero, while leaving the more controversial subject matter to implication or the desires of individual groups.

Oh, I think I might have some idea of that controversial matter you imply there :pervert: We shall see, WildFire, we shall see.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Foglet posted:

Oh, I think I might have some idea of that controversial matter you imply there :pervert: We shall see, WildFire, we shall see.

gently caress you, Ctech posted:

Amlati Backgrounds

Forbidden Child
You were born either as a child of war crimes
during the First Arcanotech War, or from a for-
bidden union after Vreta’s fleet turned against
the remaining Nazzadi. You haven’t had an
easy time of it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Foglet posted:

Meanwhile, CthulhuTech v2 entered open beta and is free for anyone to download.

I haven't cracked open the beta, but it sounds like, from the box copy, they've completely ditched the whole mecha combat angle and instead allow all the characters to be Tagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They've removed the tentacle dick advantage, so there's that.

Or maybe I just missed it?

• Locked thread