Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
I think going for lower price point stuff is definitely a good idea for getting people into the Scotch game. Scotch isn't a particularly cheap investment as it is.

Blends:
Johnnie Walker Black
Torn on ease of access/quality for a second blended

More Mild:
Balvenie 12 Double Wood (excellent intro)
Glenlivet 12 (good quality vs. accessibility)
Springbank 10
Aberlour 12

Peat/Smoke:
Highland Park 12
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Ardbeg 10
Lagavulin 16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Where is Lagavulin 16 "lower price point"?
Unless I'm in Costco - it's $80-100

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I wouldn't place Highland Park in with the smoky/peaty category so much. I'd replace it with Talisker.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Where is Lagavulin 16 "lower price point"?
Unless I'm in Costco - it's $80-100
Yeah, if the idea is to list only a few introductory suggestions then there needs to be some pretty aggressive price filtering. The best bargain example of a style.
Anything over ~$50 should be relegated to a secondary "try this next" option.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Nill posted:

I don't think anyone realized that the suggestions needed to be corroborated. v:shobon:v

Yeah, it's a can of worms.

spankmeister posted:

I wouldn't place Highland Park in with the smoky/peaty category so much. I'd replace it with Talisker.

Good point, it doesn't really belong with milds either. I think it's a good, middle of everything, Scotch; which for some reason isn't sold here anymore.

I made some minor changes.

Lets do something easier, how about some Irish Whiskey recs?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I already made some!

e: Green Spot. (A number 1)
Bushmills single malt, the 10yo or better still the 16yo ($$)
Knappogue Castle

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 13, 2015

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Does Whistle Pig count as Canadian whisky even though it's just the distillation performed in Canada? I honestly don't think Canadian whisky is worth mentioning otherwise...Not a fan of any of the other small distillers. Alberta Premium is about the closest thing to a good Canadian rye whisky.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kidsafe posted:

Does Whistle Pig count as Canadian whisky even though it's just the distillation performed in Canada? I honestly don't think Canadian whisky is worth mentioning otherwise...Not a fan of any of the other small distillers. Alberta Premium is about the closest thing to a good Canadian rye whisky.

It's a grey area but I'd just make a "rye" category and put it in there along with the American ryes.

The style of Canadian whiskey is very different from American whiskey so that definitely should be in a different category. (the boring as gently caress category :v: )

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 13, 2015

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Yeah, I was mostly questioning the need to even have the Canadian category on the front page..it's currently got a placeholder. I'd much rather have a "rest of world" category with Yamazaki, Amrut, Kavalan, etc.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah theres canadian club, seagrams, black velvet, crown royal and then ??? Forty Creek is maybe the only decent one.

Alberta premium might be worth mentioning but the other ones are just so dull

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

40 creek has some pretty decent stuff. As is collingwood. As well there are really good smaller producers of good whiskey in Canada but I doubt you could get em in the states (66 Gilead,Dillon etc.)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

Anyone else have a love for Bushmill's Black Bush?

Irish love.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

spankmeister posted:

I already made some!

e: Green Spot. (A number 1)
Bushmills single malt, the 10yo or better still the 16yo ($$)
Knappogue Castle

Is this stuff widely available? Can't buy any of it where I live. The 10y maybe. I'm happy to add Bushmills to the OP. To give you an idea, my local liquor store has at least four long rows of American whiskey, two rows of Scotch, and about 2 feet of Irish Whiskey.

kidsafe posted:

Yeah, I was mostly questioning the need to even have the Canadian category on the front page..it's currently got a placeholder. I'd much rather have a "rest of world" category with Yamazaki, Amrut, Kavalan, etc.

The OP recs are just to answer the question ... 'I want to try whiskey, what should I buy?' So we don't have to keep answering it every three pages. That's also why I wanted to whittle down the recommendations, especially the bourbons. If someone wants to explore Japanese whisky that is definitely something we want to discuss in thread, no need for a list. The Canadian section is intentionally blank, an unfunny joke I guess.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Green spot should be globally available and has been a well known Irish whiskey for years.
Your liquor store might not carry it but thats no reason not to add it to the op. ;)

Besides, people can order online these days.

Knappogue Castle is much more obscure so you could scratch that. But every Irish whiskey drinker should try Green Spot imo.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I rarely see green spot at most US liquor stores. I've seen it much more frequently in Europe.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
For what it's worth, it's available enough that I can get it at costco, while I'm sure it you couldn't find it in most liquor/groceries where I grew up because I think their selection of irish whiskey was basically just jameson

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

And lets be fair and not let the recommendations be solely dependent on wide availability in North America.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Conversely there's a lot of bourbon and rye and stuff that's not readily available in Europe.

I rarely see Basil Hayden, Weller's or Eagle Rare for example.

e: in fact, most of the bourbons in the op are not readily available to me.

Wild Turkey 101 
Old Grand-Dad 100
Woodford Reserve
Russell's Reserve
Rare Breed

These are all not trivial to get.

e: actually woodford is okay

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 14, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

spankmeister posted:

Conversely there's a lot of bourbon and rye and stuff that's not readily available in Europe.

I rarely see Basil Hayden, Weller's or Eagle Rare for example.

e: in fact, most of the bourbons in the op are not readily available to me.

Wild Turkey 101 
Old Grand-Dad 100
Woodford Reserve
Russell's Reserve
Rare Breed

These are all not trivial to get.

Yeah, when I lived in Germany, good bourbon was hard to find. I think in all of northern Germany, there was like one store that had a decent selection. Ironically, now that I live in DC, I complain about having to fly to Kentucky to get stuff that's not really shipped far from state :/

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Lagavulin 16 is on sale at bay area costcos for $55! Just picked up 2 bottles, great price for a great drink.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wormil posted:

Lets do something easier, how about some Irish Whiskey recs?

Red Breast 12

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Redbreast (cask strength for $$)
Green Spot
Teeling (really like recommending these guys. They're one of the few independent distilleries in Ireland and everything they've put out so far has been quality stuff)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah, also redbreast Cask Strength is better than the 15, and about the same price...

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I'm looking for recommendations. I like Woodford reserve, and I bought a bottle of buffalo trace and it's just too sweet.

I love smoke, earthy flavors. I also like things with a significant burn. I don't like sweetness in my liquor. My budget is 30-50 bucks. Any suggestions?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Four roses single barrel

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Four roses single barrel

Yeah basically this is the greatest

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

For Canadian, I'll second the Wiser's Legacy (and even Small Batch for a cheap sipping whisky).

I would also like to add Forty Creek Copper Pot. It's a step up from the basic Forty Creek, and it has a nice chocolate and velvet texture.

Would've recommended Canadian Club Sherry Cask, but I only had it when I was first starting out, and haven't had it since then. I also can't find it anymore to compare.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

spankmeister posted:

Besides, people can order online these days.

Some people can order online. And btw, I didn't say I wouldn't add Green Spot but since it isn't available here I had to ask if it is in fact widely available. So I added it, you can settle down now. Have some bourbon, this Irish whiskey is getting you too riled up. You'd think this was the tequila thread, jeebus.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have Opinions about Whisky Availability

nah im cool dont worry about it

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Four roses single barrel

I don't know if this is the best bourbon, but it's my favorite one I've had.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It's definitely "one of the best" for sure
I'm so excited about the Limited Edition Small Batch coming out in the next few weeks/month - just hoping I can manage to snag a few bottles

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It's the best mid-high end bourbon that anyone can buy at the local bottle shop IMO.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So I got to go to a small whiskey tasting at work yesterday, which was nice.

There was a rum barrel rye (the guy running it, their group apparently buys barrels sometimes and gets this done), Pappy, and Whistlepig, and of the three, honestly, I liked Whistlepig the most. I guess I like more traditional ryes? The rum scent and initial taste kinda threw me off of the first one.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Whistle Pig is oddly mellow for a 100% straight rye. That's the reason I like it so much. The same applies to Jefferson's, which comes from the same distillery.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Highland Park 12.. I love the mix of flavors this one has, and just how smooth it is. It may be one of the perfect introductory Scotches. I know o (and have drank!) many of the much peatier Islays and enjoy them just as well, but I don't get the same craving I do for HP12. Are there any other more complex, more intriguing offerings that has a similar mixed flavor profile? Other than HP18 of course; that one's on the hitlist but is simply too expensive as it stands.

My spirits collection at home is weak. Finished the HP12, so now I'm left with Woodford Reserve and Laphroaig 10.

I think that I am more of a scotch person. Even with ice, Woodford just tastes young and harsh to me. I would like to try Double Oaked some day. I had trouble distinguishing the nuances of it compared to, say, Evan Williams. Whereas with my first sips of HP12, the differences between that, Laphroaig, Macallan, and lesser tier offerings were immediately apparent. Don't shoot me for saying that, I'd be the first to admit that my palate is not refined too well is all. Next I'll try Knob Creek or perhaps Woodford Rye at a bar.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The differences between Laphroaig, Macallan, and HP12 are pretty drastic compared to any two bourbons.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Yup! I guess that's why I like Scotch more, a lot of different flavor profiles and regions really makes for some fun note-taking and debate.

Not to say Woodford was trash though. It was certainly pleasant, but it was much more difficult for me to parse the complexities from. Perhaps it'll take more time for me to come around to it. Reading about Double Oaked makes it seem more up my alley.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Cromlech posted:

Are there any other more complex, more intriguing offerings that has a similar mixed flavor profile?

Talisker Dark Storm is kinda similar, much more smoky though.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cromlech posted:

Perhaps it'll take more time for me to come around to it. Reading about Double Oaked makes it seem more up my alley.

I love Double Oaked at its price point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Weller 107 has been my favorite since I got into bourbon and it's been nearly impossible to find since folks caught on to how good it is. I've been wait listed for several months and finally got a couple bottles in this afternoon. So good, so happy.