Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Young Freud posted:

I haven't cracked open the beta, but it sounds like, from the box copy, they've completely ditched the whole mecha combat angle and instead allow all the characters to be Tagers.

Allow seems disingenuous. Tager is now the only option given in the book. You cannot not be a tager.

And whoever came up with this title font needs to be dragged out back and shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Apparently the plan is to go all FFG and have a Tager RPG, a Mecha RPG and a...gently caress if I know, wizards and psychics vs. spies RPG?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe Mages won't suck this time around? And Pyschics won't be completely useless until you spend a poo poo-ton of XP at which point they can blow up the Moon? Hahaha, who am I kidding?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Allow seems disingenuous. Tager is now the only option given in the book. You cannot not be a tager.

Considering Tagers were the only characters to be worth playing, that's not bad, although has less to do with Cthulhu, since everyone knows that they ripped off the Guyver for that.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Apparently the plan is to go all FFG and have a Tager RPG, a Mecha RPG and a...gently caress if I know, wizards and psychics vs. spies RPG?

Oh, that makes sense now. It also keeps a lot of the poo poo, objectionable or otherwise, segregated out of each of the lines. I don't really care to hear about Deep One rape camps or Dionysus' Club antics while I'm trying to play not-Guyver or not-Macross. And of course, the CthulhuTech magic is so loving broken that I don't know if anyone would care to play the "baseline" game.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

unseenlibrarian posted:

CthulhuTech v2 posted:

While other books will present rules for creating other kinds of Characters, The Shadow War focuses on those who have
become mystical symbionts.

Yup.

Also, WildFire's website has last been updated May 2013 :effort:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I actually think these various Mythos-huffin' mash up settings would be better if they mostly played it straight, perhaps with a suggestive fluff element or two, until the Big Encounter that starts making poo poo seriously weird. GURPS's Cthulhupunk book did this with their take on their house Cyberpunk setting, and you could just as easily do it with something like Macross or whatever. Hell, I think Macross even has such creatures around. Just start making a question of why, exactly, it is that warbling pop singers have such power...

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kurieg posted:

And whoever came up with this title font needs to be dragged out back and shot.

That is a godawful font.

So I'm not big into Cthulutech, what's the deal with these symbiotes? They're here so you can play Venom or Fillia from Skullgirls?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Crasical posted:

That is a godawful font.

So I'm not big into Cthulutech, what's the deal with these symbiotes? They're here so you can play Venom or Fillia from Skullgirls?

Ultraviolence ahead.*

They're living suits of power armor, pretty direct rip-offs of Guyver. A little like Iron Man but with tentacles and space aliens instead of genius inventors. Not a terrible seed for an over-the-top Cthulhu-esque cyberpunk dystopia adventure game.

* They made two US-based live action movies of the Guyver. The first co-stars Mark Hammill as some filthy drunk detective; the second stars David Hayter, voice of Solid Snake up until MGS5. The first one also features Jimmy JJ Walker in his most patheticfinest role, and the second one is Power Rangers-level sanitized hilarity. The Americanization of some of the cartoons gets pretty hilarious, too.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 15, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

If you aren't going to go to the trouble of trying to balance a single game around various disparate power levels and modes of play then this honestly doesn't seem like a terrible way to go about it. The various "types" of games Cthulhutech ostensibly supported didn't mix very well to begin with...on the one hand you have giant robots as part of a grinding, all-consuming war on the front lines facing giant bugmonsters from space, on the other hand you have spies and feds busting cults, then over there you have Tagers doing whatever it is Tagers do, etc.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
CthulhuTech 2 is still going to be bad even without the rape and tentacle dicks because it's a level of super-edgy darkness no-parents crap that makes WoD roll its eyes, covered with a thin layer of played-out Lovecraft tropes and mechanics that don't work.

And the skeletons disadvantage should be "your player character is being chased by skeletons."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Deleter posted:

CthulhuTech 2 is still going to be bad even without the rape and tentacle dicks because it's a level of super-edgy darkness no-parents crap that makes WoD roll its eyes, covered with a thin layer of played-out Lovecraft tropes and mechanics that don't work.

And the skeletons disadvantage should be "your player character is being chased by skeletons."

But what if the skeleton...

was inside you all along?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I kind of want to do a review of CTech 2, but I'm worried that their attempts at sanitizing it some will just take it from "hilariously bad" to "boringly bad."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

But what if the skeleton...

was inside you all along?

The true horror.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
That was actually an amazing Ray Bradbury story.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Traveller posted:

<war rape background>

Honestly, the adverse reaction people sometimes have to any implication of rape in CthulhuTech feels a bit like an over-reaction. The issue shouldn't be that it's mentioned, but rather that it's treated so lightly and used almost exclusively for edgy shock value. Acknowledging that, sometimes, people do horrible things in times of war - especially wars of genocide - should not really be a mark against CthulhuTech.

Instead, we can hold against it that it describes all amlati children of war rape as "damaged goods".

PurpleXVI posted:

I kind of want to do a review of CTech 2, but I'm worried that their attempts at sanitizing it some will just take it from "hilariously bad" to "boringly bad."

Having looked at it, it's a generic not-very-good system. It's also almost exclusively mechanics in the preview, so there's not much opportunity for truly idiotic worldbuilding to be presented. Still, though, it betrays a bias towards contemporary US ideas of wealth. The flaw Broke 1 says that "You’re lower class and own a small residence, an old vehicle, and have little disposable income." which is a very US-centric idea of what it means to be broke; owning a car is considered pretty well of in large parts of Europe, which is not exactly a poor region on the whole. And in the densely packed arcologies of CTech, poverty should instead be measured in Oyster Cards and bicycles.

A quick summary of system weirdness that I noticed:

Character creation is done through a mix of package purchases and point-buy. Packages can increase Skills by +1. If you have multiple packages adding to the same skill, you add the bonuses. If you buy a skill with point-buy, the cost is quadratic. The net result seems to be that some builds are more point-efficient than others.

The Nazzadi get a bonus to stealth. I wonder if that's still justified with "they have black skin".

There's a pretty long skill list. 45 skills, 10 of which are field skills with freeform fields. The game still mocks you for taking Hobby 5 or Trivia 5.

It has an Advantages/Disadvantages system, with the usual problems:
  • Ally: you have an ally who has no actual mechanical effect, so Referee Fiat all the way!
  • Associate: a different kind of Ally
  • Either Hand: it's surprising how often "you can use weapons in either hand without the off-hand penalty" (and off-hand penalties) occur in games with no codified system for disabling a hand...
  • Prudent: the Referee rolls to see if they should tell you what you're about to do is really dumb.
  • Amnesia
  • Bigot: roll to avoid uttering racist comments
  • Chronic Pain: -1d to all tests for 1d5 in-game hours if you fail a test. Make sure that every game begins with 12 in-game hours of research at the local library, with Use Library rolls only every 4 hours! :D
  • Code: you have a lovely personal code. Have points for it.
  • Damaged: your character is "damaged goods", which is their disrespectful way of saying "suffers PTSD and/or trust issues".
  • Duty: you get points for playing the loving game
  • Greed: only has suggestions for how the Referee might want to actually make you roleplay it
  • High Strung: like Chronic Pain, only fluffed to be mental. Otherwise mechanically identical.
  • Ineptitude: you get points for being totally crap at a Skill. Remember that painfully long skill list? Pick something useless from it like "Artist" or whatever, and it's basically free points. You can take it multiple times, even!
  • Misfit: people treat you differently. No mechanical effect.
  • Nemesis: You get points for hogging the spotlight
  • Rival: Like Nemesis, but your rival doesn't even want to kill you
  • Shadow Walker: interesting bad things happen to your character more often than usual. No mechanical effect.
  • Skeleton: You have skeletons in the closet. I recommend taking the Level 3 version of this, which'll have you arrested or killed if anyone finds out; i.e. it instantly derails or ends the game for your character, so you can browbeat your referee into never making it have actual consequences.
  • True Blue: You're bad at lying. You get -3 to all Deception checks. Gives you the same amount of points at Ineptitude: Deception
  • Vow: make up some rule for your character, and if you break the rule, -3 to all skills for two weeks. Vows include marriage and vegetarianism.

"There are those things about people that aren’t easily explained, those things that are unusual but that also define a person. In CthulhuTech, those things are classified as Talents." - one talent is "Double Tap", which lets you double tap. This is apparently unusual and character-defining. Double-tapping a pistol.

There are White Wolf-style Stereotypes.

It still uses Poker Dice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Plague of Hats posted:

Ultraviolence ahead.*

They're living suits of power armor, pretty direct rip-offs of Guyver. A little like Iron Man but with tentacles and space aliens instead of genius inventors. Not a terrible seed for an over-the-top Cthulhu-esque cyberpunk dystopia adventure game.

* They made two US-based live action movies of the Guyver. The first co-stars Mark Hammill as some filthy drunk detective; the second stars David Hayter, voice of Solid Snake up until MGS5. The first one also features Jimmy JJ Walker in his most patheticfinest role, and the second one is Power Rangers-level sanitized hilarity. The Americanization of some of the cartoons gets pretty hilarious, too.

Max is a filthy drunk CIA agent, not a detective.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Max is a filthy drunk CIA agent, not a detective.

I haven't seen it in years!

I should fix that. I think it's on Netflix.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

Honestly, the adverse reaction people sometimes have to any implication of rape in CthulhuTech feels a bit like an over-reaction. The issue shouldn't be that it's mentioned, but rather that it's treated so lightly and used almost exclusively for edgy shock value. Acknowledging that, sometimes, people do horrible things in times of war - especially wars of genocide - should not really be a mark against CthulhuTech.

Instead, we can hold against it that it describes all amlati children of war rape as "damaged goods".

I mostly agree with you but there's another issue that comes up for me. It's actually the same issue I had back when the generally progressive setting of Blue Rose came into question, in fact: rape, along with those kinds of bigotry, is the sort of thing where I do feel it's kind of lazy and to a degree wrong to make a background radiation of your setting. Not because that isn't a real issue, not because those things shouldn't be talked about, but because I really feel they shouldn't be there unless your group of players specifically wants to engage with that kind of material. If somebody comes in and says they want to do a gay character who was specifically motivated to start adventuring because they wanted to find their own way in life and be themselves, or that they want to do a child of rape who's hunting down their offending parent and struggling with deciding whether they themselves deserve to live, then they can be there. But those things really shouldn't just be a footnote in the setting, or a value on your character sheet somewhere that only matters because it gives you +x to some skill and a starting trauma disadvantage or some poo poo.

Theoretically there's some value in having characters who are, for example, survivors of rape who have successfully moved on and are basically unaffected by it now but the problem is in a roleplaying context those only really have value if they're played by an actual person who experienced the same thing. You've got to go to other media in order to get general societal benefit out of such a portrayal, like a tv show that has such a character.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

unseenlibrarian posted:

This is really what they should have done in the first place. At least, they should have explicitly told the reader "This game is a setting, a base system, and three different games set therein, which are not mutually compatible."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Foglet posted:

Meanwhile, CthulhuTech v2 entered open beta and is free for anyone to download.

Oh, I think I might have some idea of that controversial matter you imply there :pervert: We shall see, WildFire, we shall see.

Yeah, I remember them saying the same thing about The Void, which then had opening fiction about a woman's trauma stemming from being menaced by tentacles. Not technically rape, everyone! They're moving forward! :v:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ineptitude: any and all artistic skills.

Skeleton 3: every time my character does anything art-related, people die and the Elder Gods pay attention to what I've created. It's not that I'm a terrible artist. I'm just poo poo by human standards. By a non-Euclidian tentacle beast's standards, I'm Rembrandt. One time I played a kazoo too high and it was like a dog whistle for the Hounds of Tindalos. Another time I drew a sketch on some looseleaf of a stick figure dancing and seven classmates went so insane they killed themselves.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pkfan2004 posted:

Ineptitude: any and all artistic skills.

Skeleton 3: every time my character does anything art-related, people die and the Elder Gods pay attention to what I've created. It's not that I'm a terrible artist. I'm just poo poo by human standards. By a non-Euclidian tentacle beast's standards, I'm Rembrandt. One time I played a kazoo too high and it was like a dog whistle for the Hounds of Tindalos. Another time I drew a sketch on some looseleaf of a stick figure dancing and seven classmates went so insane they killed themselves.

Tyler Zann, long-lost descendant of Erich Zann.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

LornMarkus posted:

I mostly agree with you but there's another issue that comes up for me. It's actually the same issue I had back when the generally progressive setting of Blue Rose came into question, in fact: rape, along with those kinds of bigotry, is the sort of thing where I do feel it's kind of lazy and to a degree wrong to make a background radiation of your setting. Not because that isn't a real issue, not because those things shouldn't be talked about, but because I really feel they shouldn't be there unless your group of players specifically wants to engage with that kind of material. If somebody comes in and says they want to do a gay character who was specifically motivated to start adventuring because they wanted to find their own way in life and be themselves, or that they want to do a child of rape who's hunting down their offending parent and struggling with deciding whether they themselves deserve to live, then they can be there. But those things really shouldn't just be a footnote in the setting, or a value on your character sheet somewhere that only matters because it gives you +x to some skill and a starting trauma disadvantage or some poo poo.

Theoretically there's some value in having characters who are, for example, survivors of rape who have successfully moved on and are basically unaffected by it now but the problem is in a roleplaying context those only really have value if they're played by an actual person who experienced the same thing. You've got to go to other media in order to get general societal benefit out of such a portrayal, like a tv show that has such a character.

Not that I disagree with your point, but your examples kind of make it sound like you're putting LGBT representation and casual hints at rape in the same category and they just... aren't.

Anyway, I agree that the biggest problem here is that this raises the amount of "acceptable" rape references in the game, both because that makes the game feel generally rape-y and because it makes it seem that much more acceptable for people to include more rape in their games. It all comes together to make Cthulutech feel like a really uncomfortable game to sit down and play, even if a good group could and probably will spend the time and effort to avoid all the weird casual rape references.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

LatwPIAT posted:

It still uses Poker Dice.

This and the concept of Tagers are the only thing that made me a little interested in CTech in the first place. Everything else in it destroyed that interest pretty hard, and still does, but I do like dice mechanics with a little more flavor than just roll and add.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Poker dice are interesting but they wreak absolute havok on probability and appropriate Difficulty targets. There's lots of huge spikes in the beginning but once you get to the higher ends of the scale the probability of a "Difficult" and "Impossible" task succeeding is virtually the same.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Does it still have the awful 'roll more ones than anything else is a botch' failure rules? Because that was the big dice issue before, since it led to a lot of 'you raised your stat, you are now worse at everything' stuff.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Kurieg posted:

Poker dice are interesting but they wreak absolute havok on probability and appropriate Difficulty targets. There's lots of huge spikes in the beginning but once you get to the higher ends of the scale the probability of a "Difficult" and "Impossible" task succeeding is virtually the same.

Hey, I never said it was a well-designed mechanic, just a neat idea at a glance. Non-standard dice rules is one of the things that makes Wulin one of my favorite games, but it's also thought out a lot better there.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

We read Fantasy Wargaming: The Highest Level of All. This one might really be the first heartbreaker. If you want something that combines long rambling speeches about the importance of nobility, casual disdain for "women's lib," and big timecubey style rules, you should rush out and buy this. It'll be around a dollar.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

unseenlibrarian posted:

Does it still have the awful 'roll more ones than anything else is a botch' failure rules? Because that was the big dice issue before, since it led to a lot of 'you raised your stat, you are now worse at everything' stuff.

For the most part, no, but it looks like if you cap out your stats and wheedle enough bonuses from Ads and gear, you might make it happen. Or, if you roll poorly against a vastly weaker foe and they also roll pure poo poo, since then it's about what you both rolled instead of the absolute numbers of normal tasks.

PS There's rolled defenses per attack in this system! :suicide:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

No, but ones still decrease your probability of success because they aren't contributing to a higher value.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Poker dice is one of the clearest 'Look we need a clever dice mechanic, I don't care if it actually works' situations I've ever seen in gaming.'

Like, even before I found out about all the :tvtropes: from the reviews here, poker dice was enough to tell me no, no I am not going to want to buy this game.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Not that I disagree with your point, but your examples kind of make it sound like you're putting LGBT representation and casual hints at rape in the same category and they just... aren't.

Anyway, I agree that the biggest problem here is that this raises the amount of "acceptable" rape references in the game, both because that makes the game feel generally rape-y and because it makes it seem that much more acceptable for people to include more rape in their games. It all comes together to make Cthulutech feel like a really uncomfortable game to sit down and play, even if a good group could and probably will spend the time and effort to avoid all the weird casual rape references.

Not presentation, I was referring to settings that have baked in bigotry toward LGBT folk. Obviously you should be allowed to play a gay or trans character if you want, my reference there was more "the player should only have to face bigotry for their character being LGBT if that's what they want to roleplay."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LornMarkus posted:

Not presentation, I was referring to settings that have baked in bigotry toward LGBT folk. Obviously you should be allowed to play a gay or trans character if you want, my reference there was more "the player should only have to face bigotry for their character being LGBT if that's what they want to roleplay."

I still hold up how they did sexism in Bretonnia in WHFRP2e as how to do in-setting discrimination. The entire book makes clear that it's bullshit (women have absolutely the same stats, can do every profession as well as men), there's an explicit disclaimer saying it's not the important part of the setting and thus if it makes your table uncomfortable drop it entirely, it doesn't limit a player's options, and exists to provide a plot hook IF your players want to deal with the cross-dressing and hiding identities, etc. I know I've brought it up in multiple threads, but making it clear it's optional, making it clear the discrimination is wrong in-setting and mechanically if you do use it, and making sure players can still play whatever they want and have it as a plot hook rather than a limitation (the example knight character is even a woman in disguise and the book makes it pretty clear that that's quite common) is how you do in-setting inequality. It should always be absolutely clear that in-setting inequality isn't designed to limit players and has no mechanical or factual basis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Precambrian posted:

I had an idea to revise Plutomancy that might also fit with Kleptocracy. Plutomancy feels weird to me, because the modern perception of wealth isn't hoarding money without spending it, Scrooge McDuck-style, it's all about living beyond your means. So you'd gain charges by racking up debt, which means between credit cards, student loans, mortgages, etc. you'd rack up a ton in a socially acceptable way, but your taboo would prohibit paying those debts. So you'd either be like a dipsomancer who can rack up a few charges easily but can't hold onto them, or you'd spiral out of control as you do everything you can to open fraudulent lines of credit and evade your creditors to hoard charges.
This is interesting, but really hard to model and track in a game, as opposed to just gaining and spending money. As a GM, how do you want to model a PC's credit card debt catching up with them? And how does the PC's life (ability to practice magick) change once they declare bankruptcy the first time? What if they want to subsist entirely through fraud?

kaynorr posted:

That's pretty much UA adepts in general, though. It can be difficult to keep a group dynamic going if multiple members of the group have various antisocial (self-inflicted) mental illnesses. But if they didn't, the case could be made that they aren't paying a high enough price for their magic.
Well, it's always going to be a pain to get a group of adepts from different schools to comprise an adventuring party. But some of the adept schools from PM seem like they could hardly work with anyone at all, and some of them have charging/taboo rules which are perhaps too subjective to be good for PC use at all.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

theironjef posted:

We read Fantasy Wargaming: The Highest Level of All. This one might really be the first heartbreaker. If you want something that combines long rambling speeches about the importance of nobility, casual disdain for "women's lib," and big timecubey style rules, you should rush out and buy this. It'll be around a dollar.

I had to pause and go to the store in the middle of this episode, and it completely lost me. That usually doesn't happen with podcasts. This game sounds amazing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LornMarkus posted:

Well the default assumption in Blue Rose isn't really that LGBT characters face baked-in bigotry, that's sort of Aldis' thing is not being bigoted. "LGBT characters face prejudice elsewhere" is a setting detail but as a detail it's not really what I would consider a major one that's employed time and again as a bludgeon despite what people elsewhere trying to mischaracterize the game as SJW feminazi homofascist propaganda would have folks believe. You can play LGBT characters and never once have to deal with that sort of thing if you don't want to and still go adventuring, solve mysteries, defend the kingdom from the Lich King's plots, and do all that fantasy roleplaying stuff you want.

Cthulhutech, meanwhile, has a published adventure where the player-characters are inevitably chemically seduced by furries and raped. So, y'know.

(Speaking of which, I haven't given up on my joint review of Blue Rose, I'm currently waiting for gradenko_2000 to get back to me with the rest of the feats chapter.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cthulhutech is the goofus of TT gaming. Whatever CT does, you'd be well to do differently.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Well the default assumption in Blue Rose isn't really that LGBT characters face baked-in bigotry, that's sort of Aldis' thing is not being bigoted. "LGBT characters face prejudice elsewhere" is a setting detail but as a detail it's not really what I would consider a major one that's employed time and again as a bludgeon despite what people elsewhere trying to mischaracterize the game as SJW feminazi homofascist propaganda would have folks believe. You can play LGBT characters and never once have to deal with that sort of thing if you don't want to and still go adventuring, solve mysteries, defend the kingdom from the Lich King's plots, and do all that fantasy roleplaying stuff you want.

Cthulhutech, meanwhile, has a published adventure where the player-characters are inevitably chemically seduced by furries and raped. So, y'know.

(Speaking of which, I haven't given up on my joint review of Blue Rose, I'm currently waiting for gradenko_2000 to get back to me with the rest of the feats chapter.)

Yup, in the original post I was referring to the discussion that sprang up around the poster who expressed annoyance that Aldis was super-progressive and so forth, which then lead to people discussing whether settings should have written in prejudice and such. Sorry if that confused the issue any.

Night10194 posted:

I still hold up how they did sexism in Bretonnia in WHFRP2e as how to do in-setting discrimination. The entire book makes clear that it's bullshit (women have absolutely the same stats, can do every profession as well as men), there's an explicit disclaimer saying it's not the important part of the setting and thus if it makes your table uncomfortable drop it entirely, it doesn't limit a player's options, and exists to provide a plot hook IF your players want to deal with the cross-dressing and hiding identities, etc. I know I've brought it up in multiple threads, but making it clear it's optional, making it clear the discrimination is wrong in-setting and mechanically if you do use it, and making sure players can still play whatever they want and have it as a plot hook rather than a limitation (the example knight character is even a woman in disguise and the book makes it pretty clear that that's quite common) is how you do in-setting inequality. It should always be absolutely clear that in-setting inequality isn't designed to limit players and has no mechanical or factual basis.

Yeah, I would agree that's probably the best way to do it. Takes out the possibilities of unfortunate interactions, like super-groggy DMs who do legitimately not have any bad intentions but because it's in the settings and the rules harshly enforce that poo poo and make people uncomfortable.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 15, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

See, I always figured it as the spiritual successor of early-mid nineties White Wolf. Next they'll finally update their website to say they were bought out by a libertarian commune and sponsor a pro wrestler named "Tager"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

LornMarkus posted:

I can see what you meant, in that case. Wasn't as clear as it probably should have been, but I see what you meant.

Also, on a similar note to Night's comments about Bretonnia, I really like how Legends of the Wulin handles women. You see, wuxia traditionally doesn't exactly have the best gender dynamics and it would have been really easy for them to go "this is a quasi-historical setting, things suck for women, deal with it". Instead, they had a whole section of the book talk about women in China in the time periods wuxia cribs off of and they give you a few disadvantages like "everyone thinks of me as a woman and not as a warrior" and "everyone thinks of me as a warrior and not as a woman". And if you don't take those disadvantages, congratulations, you don't have to deal with that kind of sexism because you didn't put "I want to deal with that kind of sexism" on your sheet, the same way your GM would be an rear end in a top hat if they had your character be constantly hunted by the army if you didn't write "Disadvantage: I am wanted by the army" on your sheet. It's just something that more RPGs should do.

• Locked thread