Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

e X posted:

Vampire lore is really just a combination of various pop culture fads either incorporating or exiling certain powers. IIRC, in the novel, the sun merely kept Dracula from using his black magic, like shape shifting, but the German 1922 movie Nosferatu included sunlight outright killing vampires, probably because it made for a really cool effect for the time. Or how the wooden stake went from merely incapacitating a vampire to basically becoming their Achilles heel. And I don't think native soil and running water ever coming up anymore.

In Dracula: Prince of Darkness, Cristopher Lee falls through ice and drowns. This is 1966 so 'anymore' is relative - but to me Christopher Lee is the last proper :drac:

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/10/10/10-dracula-prince-of-darkness/

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

wiegieman posted:

The incredibly boring way for this to go would be for Durkula to divine power and then full attack Roy. A couple rounds and 5 hits later Roy is down 10 levels.

Good thing he doesn't get iterative attacks with his slam then.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Can't Durkon just turn gaseous to escape anyway?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DeafNote posted:

Yeah, I imagine he might be having indigestion from all that unaligned cleric blood.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Right now he'd be forced to leave his staff behind and I think that's the only way for him to get protection from sunlight, isn't it?

Could be an interesting setup though. I don't feel we've seen enough of the vampire. And dwarf mines tend to be underground...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I forget when, but there's a comic a while back where he says he's almost completed researching the spell for it. I think he has the spell at this point.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

HisMajestyBOB posted:

It really is. I read both Dracula and Frankenstein a few years back and found the former to be a much more enjoyable and timeless read.

Yes, Frankenstein is pretty bad and mostly remarkable for its status as a generative work, especially in the field of science fiction. It doesn't hold up well on a straight read. Dracula has some issues too but is far more genuinely affecting, I'd recommend it to anybody!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Frankenstein is definitely a novel of its time. I like it, but it has problems, like a very young Victor (I'm pretty sure single-digit age) giving a soliloquy about Elizabeth when she's first brought to the house.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Colonial Air Force posted:

Frankenstein is definitely a novel of its time. I like it, but it has problems, like a very young Victor (I'm pretty sure single-digit age) giving a soliloquy about Elizabeth when she's first brought to the house.

I think people who probably grew up with Ender's Game as their formative young adult fiction experience probably won't mind at all esp. considering Victor is a genius right?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DeafNote posted:

Sure, but escape doesn't work. He still has to be present for Hel to get her vote. I suppose he could go gaseous and just stay in the hall or something, but I'm not sure that would actually count. :shrug:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I was going to say something about that amount of rules-lawyering during a vote is clearly ridiculous, then I remembered I'm reading a D&D comic.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ColdPie posted:

I was going to say something about that amount of rules-lawyering during a vote is clearly ridiculous

Someone doesn't know about Robert's Rules.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Right now he'd be forced to leave his staff behind and I think that's the only way for him to get protection from sunlight, isn't it?

Could be an interesting setup though. I don't feel we've seen enough of the vampire. And dwarf mines tend to be underground...

Gaseous form (by the rules of a game which may be superseded by rules of drama)* allows a creature to take their gear with them. It allows a creature to maintain any spells that have already been cast. It allows a creature to cast new spells so long as they require absolutely no components or focus items. The greatest downside of the spell (for running) is that it alters your movement to a fly speed of 10 ft (E: 20 ft for vampires.) and leaves the vampire less protected from attack than their natural form. It's not actually more useful than spider climbing on the ceiling.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 12, 2015

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

TheBlandName posted:

It's not actually more useful than spider climbing on the ceiling.

Well, unless you're skewered to the ground with a greatsword.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

There was a movie recently that I can't quite recall where someone threw a bunch of seeds for a vampire to count and he instantly said something along the lines of "4531" and kept walking towards them

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do a lot of Durkon's spells up to and including cure critical wounds require his divine focus? Might not be a waste to sunder his holy symbol.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Arctic Baldwin posted:

There was a movie recently that I can't quite recall where someone threw a bunch of seeds for a vampire to count and he instantly said something along the lines of "4531" and kept walking towards them

Dracula II: Ascension?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nenonen posted:

In Dracula: Prince of Darkness, Cristopher Lee falls through ice and drowns. This is 1966 so 'anymore' is relative - but to me Christopher Lee is the last proper :drac:

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/10/10/10-dracula-prince-of-darkness/

Running water is actually one of the classic vampire banes.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Running water is actually one of the classic vampire banes.

Or a squirt gun, if you're playing Rifts.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Should have been 69,105.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The board game Fury of Dracula has the Bram Stoker version of Drac. Powerful at night, human but not helpless during the day. The human players have to exploit Drac's OCD mentality that won't let him stay in one place or double back on his own path without serious effort. Drac can travel by boat but it really, really sucks for him.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Where did the gaseous form and spider climb thing for vampires originate from anyways, just DnD or was it a classic part of vampire myths?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Someone posted a thing from Dracula about him spider climbing on the last page.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
And I am pretty sure he could shape shift into fog, too.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

W.T. Fits posted:

Dracula II: Ascension?

Yeah. I was thinking it might be that (or Dracula 2000). It's the only good part of that movie other than kung fu master preacher vampire

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I liked the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's ridiculous in all the right ways.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was rad as gently caress and I won't hear otherwise.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rygar201 posted:

I liked the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's ridiculous in all the right ways.

Keanu doesn't bring down the film nearly as badly as I remembered him doing, since he's mostly only in the first part.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Who What Now posted:

Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was rad as gently caress and I won't hear otherwise.

It's one of those movies that's really bad but that's okay because why the gently caress would you have expected anything else?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Shugojin posted:

It's one of those movies that's really bad but that's okay because why the gently caress would you have expected anything else?

Right, it's not like there was some sort of bait and switch or anything. It's Abe Lincoln fighting vampires, it was very upfront about what the movie was going to be. And he fights with a dwarven urgrosh at the end, what's not to love?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1005.html

New one is up

What do we think panel seven is?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
One of the priests blocked off the doorway with a barrier of some sort, I guess.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

my dad posted:

One of the priests blocked off the doorway with a barrier of some sort, I guess.
:doh:

It has to be Durkula. He blocked it off when he was scheming about.

Chrungka
Jan 27, 2015

Poison Mushroom posted:

:doh:

It has to be Durkula. He blocked it off when he was scheming about.

Why would he do that? Hel seemed to be pretty confident that demigods would vote in her favor, so blocking their priests would be counterproductive.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

It's also possible the Godsmoot is barricaded in until they're reached a decision and the ushers that should be there are mysteriously not there.

I'm leaning towards a No High Priest thumbing the scales for Roy though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rygar201 posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1005.html

New one is up

What do we think panel seven is?

The way the other clerics were talking, he needed to talk to an usher in order to get the high priests of the demigods in the mix. This makes me think that the main area was sealed off by the other clerics, so the vote wouldn't be disturbed, and the normal behavior was to yell across the barrier if something was needed. Except, well, Nokrud killed at least one, probably two, and potentially up to all the ushers. :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is Hel's plan gonna be undone because of hubris?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Stupid theory: Hel's plan will succeed and the crew will have to race to the last gate not to protect it but to break it to throw the Snarl at the gods.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

This is what happened, I think:

1) The fact that they mention him going only to to the top of the stairs and then calling for ushers suggests they know they can't leave until the Godsmoot is concluded.

2) However, none of the ushers are responding...because Durkon ate/converted them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Either that, or those two clerics Durkula ate earlier have risen, since Malack could make thralls pretty fast when he wanted to, and they've mowed down the demigod representation.

That halfling is doing way too good of a job looking like someone in a horror movie who's about to get wasted.