Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Oftentimes that can refer to lightfastness, not waterproofness... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Kruxy posted:

Apparently, Higgins and I have different definitions for "Permanent Black Ink"

Black Magic is better. Here's a drawing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Pelikan drawing ink is/was my go-to. Works well on everything, including clayboard.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

dupersaurus posted:

Pelikan drawing ink is/was my go-to. Works well on everything, including clayboard.
Pelikan Tusche A forever :black101: :black101: :black101:

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

I'm pretty ecstatic about the outcome of this. Really synthesized my thoughts and pushed out a great product.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Quick portrait sketch on a literal piece of cardboard garbage.

Didn't grasp the best likeness of the subject, but it was pretty fun.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I rarely ever do traditional. But I've been taking painting classes for a few months and made something that I kinda like for once.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 13, 2015

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Sort of a practical question. Two artists that I really admire are:

Rheni Tauchid: http://www.rhenitauchid.com/gallery.html
Francoise Nielly : http://www.francoise-nielly.com/index.php/galerie

I'm entirely self-taught, fairly incompetent, and something I've noticed is that a lot of their colors are way more intense than anything I'm ever able to produce on canvas.

I have one of Tauchid's books and something she routinely references is using lots of glaze layers to give color depth. But frustratingly, I always feel like my colors get even more muted and duller as I try to add layers.

I've watched youtube videos of Nielly painting and she doesn't seem to do a lot of layering at all, at least in a glazing way. Her paintings are especially hard for me to process (part of the reason I like them) because her color choices often seem all over the place- but the finished products are vibrant and full of depth.

So I guess I'm wondering: is there something I can do mechanically differently to get more intense colors? Is it just a matter of using different paints/ground?

I'm using mostly Golden heavy body on whatever the intermediate canvas is called or clayboard.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It looks like Nielly works in oils, which are going to have a higher pigment density than acrylics. Pigment density is the absolute determinant of color intensity when you control for all other factors. However, I don't think it's impossible to achieve that kind of striking color with acrylics.

The other thing is that Nielly's colors can be arbitrary because she has a good handle on value. It really doesn't matter what colors you use in a graphic arrangement of values. Like for example, all of these are still recognizable as a human face etc. because the values remain correct, even though the colors are nuts:

Here is one of Nielly's paintings in B&W:

The colors don't matter -- but that's why she can get away with really outrageous colors.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I'm making a mega gay lesbian comic version of the Phantom of the Opera, and here is the spooky ghost lady

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 14, 2015

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

neonnoodle posted:

It looks like Nielly works in oils, which are going to have a higher pigment density than acrylics. Pigment density is the absolute determinant of color intensity when you control for all other factors. However, I don't think it's impossible to achieve that kind of striking color with acrylics.

The other thing is that Nielly's colors can be arbitrary because she has a good handle on value. It really doesn't matter what colors you use in a graphic arrangement of values. Like for example, all of these are still recognizable as a human face etc. because the values remain correct, even though the colors are nuts:

Here is one of Nielly's paintings in B&W:

The colors don't matter -- but that's why she can get away with really outrageous colors.

This is the brand of acrylic I use. I've seen their selection of paint in person, and it includes several neon-bright colors. I figure the pigment has to be processed to be so bright, and you have to buy the paint if you want to achieve those neon colors. It's impossible to mix that color somehow.

http://www.novacolorpaint.com/orderform.htm go down to the fluorescent section.

Another possible factor is the picture being color adjusted even slightly, and that you're seeing it on your computer monitor, which is RGB, rather than RYB.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I did this recently. I'm not very happy with it, but whatever. Every painting is learning.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

smallmouth posted:

I did this recently. I'm not very happy with it, but whatever. Every painting is learning.

I think it's good because the contrast and detail is concentrated on the figures at the far end of the hall.

I emphasized this with some radial blur, hope you don't mind.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 15, 2015

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Haha, nice feeling of acceleration here, Delta Echo.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
I wrapped up another pet watercolor over the weekend..the first one I've done in about a year. This is our dog Annie Oakley.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
Is this the finished product? I'd rather it just be left as it is. I love the negative space and uncertain depth of the room.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Is this the finished product? I'd rather it just be left as it is. I love the negative space and uncertain depth of the room.

It is. Thank you.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

A little figure drawing in charcoal. I love/hate how much it smears. Gotta remember to use fixative.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

I love this. :swoon:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

winvirus posted:

I love this. :swoon:

Thanks so much!

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008
Couple of new things, we're getting closer to October so this year I wanted to do some Halloween themed stuff. Here's a zombie and a screaming skull so far. Trying to improve my ink technique.

Galileo Fingers fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 25, 2015

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Trying something a little different.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Galileo Fingers posted:

Couple of new things, we're getting closer to October so this year I wanted to do some Halloween themed stuff. Here's a zombie and a screaming skull so far. Trying to improve my ink technique.

These are great! What are you using to ink?

Here are some sketches from today.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Delta Echo posted:

It's impossible to mix that color somehow.
You can't mix colors to be more intense than the constituent colors. Mixed colors are always less intense than the most intense color in the mix. If you want really intense colors you'll need to be buying a lot of colors.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I need to buy some heavier paper. Ballpoints really beat up on the paper.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009
Quick 'n oily

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I just finished this massive piece, commissioned by another goon one I've never met. Acrylic on canvas, 4'×2' UPS delivered it today.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Hey so I have a thread in GBS for this but why not here too, since I particularly like this one I did today. It's margaret thatcher as everyone's favorite alien menace, the flatwoods monster.

Ink on paper. using brush and dip pens.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Hey so I have a thread in GBS for this but why not here too, since I particularly like this one I did today. It's margaret thatcher as everyone's favorite alien menace, the flatwoods monster.

Ink on paper. using brush and dip pens.

Hey, hey hey doctor dogballs, the best funny art guy, I like it, that's a seamless melding of disparate creatures. Have you ever made anyone slenderman or is that stupid?

Also since everyone posts their life studies here's mine

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

From my weekly figure drawing session.

Nikoletta by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I really like these!

I have no idea what I'm doing.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

hand cramps bro

digitally cleaned up some old engravings from the 1600s inspired by mantegna tarocchi cards and decided to ink the poo poo outta em by hand

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

My watercolor class had a paint-whatever-you-want-to lesson, so I picked some old Indian dude because I've probably drawn humans like four times in my life.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Sculpt

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

What's the colored material(s) and how is it lit? What's the sculpted material?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This is pretty fantastic!

Content:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Frozenpussy posted:

What's the colored material(s) and how is it lit? What's the sculpted material?

It's a weird mixed media thing I've done before. The colored material is glass. I epoxied it to the back of the panel, which is made out of MDF panel that I cut with a jigsaw, then I used sculpy (polymer clay) on top and epoxied that to the MDF panel and filled in the cracks with spackle. It's lit with some little lights I got at Joann's I think, wedding things. I suppose it would be a lot easier if I just made it in Zbrush and got it 3D printed, there would be far fewer imperfections, but I like the tactility of using my hands. I mean, I'm not the best sculptor in the world (I draw a lot more) but these projects are fun! I attached an earlier one I did for a "study on love" show we did here in Madison, where each artist was supposed to create a representation of whatever "love" meant to them. I did an abstract symbol that has two sides joining together.

sigma 6 posted:

This is pretty fantastic!

Thanks! :)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Zoben posted:

It's a weird mixed media thing I've done before. The colored material is glass. I epoxied it to the back of the panel, which is made out of MDF panel that I cut with a jigsaw, then I used sculpy (polymer clay) on top and epoxied that to the MDF panel and filled in the cracks with spackle. It's lit with some little lights I got at Joann's I think, wedding things. I suppose it would be a lot easier if I just made it in Zbrush and got it 3D printed, there would be far fewer imperfections, but I like the tactility of using my hands. I mean, I'm not the best sculptor in the world (I draw a lot more) but these projects are fun! I attached an earlier one I did for a "study on love" show we did here in Madison, where each artist was supposed to create a representation of whatever "love" meant to them. I did an abstract symbol that has two sides joining together.

Thanks! :)

I want to touch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A couple sketches in conte and a knife painting.