Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

gently caress golf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

ElwoodCuse posted:

Just about anything is fun if you're outside with your friends getting drunk

Even...even taking a poo poo on a golf course?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

The thing is: golf is actually a lot of fun if you don't give a poo poo and you're on some rural bumfuck course and you get absolutely roaring drunk.

People who take hobbies and sports really seriously ruin everything.

Golf is also actually really fun stone-cold sober at like 6:30 in the morning by yourself.

It's a fun game

Is there anyway on Deadspin to filter it to just sports posts? I'm not actually going to do that but I'm curious, because I checked the site front page for the first time in a long time and got a great deal on a camera, a review of Taco Bell's new whatever, a review of an action movie, and a post about US sex ed before seeing anything about Monday Night Football

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 15, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dutchy posted:

Is there anyway on Deadspin to filter it to just sports posts? I'm not actually going to do that but I'm curious, because I checked the site front page for the first time in a long time and got a great deal on a camera, a review of Taco Bell's new whatever, a review of an action movie, and a post about US sex ed before seeing anything about Monday Night Football
It's been like that for ages, but I don't think there is a way to filter that stuff out. Most of it is cross promotion for other Gawker Media sites

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
It seemed like the cross-posts would at least be thinly related to whatever the site's main subject was last time I checked but now I guess it's just whatever.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dutchy posted:

It seemed like the cross-posts would at least be thinly related to whatever the site's main subject was last time I checked but now I guess it's just whatever.
They cross-post highly viewed items from other Gawker sites on all Gawker sites. At the same time, Nick Denton et al can't figure out why traffic is down 60% to 70% from where it was two years ago. Maybe...just possibly...it could be due to the fact that you can now read everything you need to see from Gawker media in a two-minute glance at just one of their sites.

Also, it's really annoying when you want to read a bunch of sports items at Deadspin or car-related items at Jalopnik, and half of the items on the front page are from other Gawker blogs like Jezebel and Defamer that you couldn't give less of a poo poo about.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 16, 2015

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Who decided that was a good idea? The whole point of having separate sites is to appeal to those separate demographics. You can put links to the other sites' trending articles in the sidebar to try and cross-pollinate traffic. But outright mixing those articles into the main site stream just turns off the core audience to those sites and makes regular visitors not want to visit at all. It makes no sense at all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Maybe the shift towards social media driving a lot of traffic, so they want to get grabby content in front of as many eyeballs as possible and hope it goes viral

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mike Lupica supposedly got fired from the Daily News due to budget cuts:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/media/2015/09/8576910/daily-news-weathers-another-round-layoffs

I know he's not well liked, but he's been there basically forever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Mike Lupica supposedly got fired from the Daily News due to budget cuts:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/media/2015/09/8576910/daily-news-weathers-another-round-layoffs

I know he's not well liked, but he's been there basically forever.

Good. gently caress him.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
PFT Commenter update

https://vine.co/v/eU1657nO0Q9

He lives his gimmick

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

PFT Commenter update

https://vine.co/v/eU1657nO0Q9

He lives his gimmick

godspeed, PFT Commenter :patriot:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not a sportswriter (except about sports fashion), but Wesley Morris appears to be the first big name leaving Grantland.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not a sportswriter (except about sports fashion), but Wesley Morris appears to be the first big name leaving Grantland.
Not surprising...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Good for him, though I imagine it'll be harder to keep track of his writing with the Times vs. Grantland (and I'll miss having a weekly film column from him if he ends up moving away from that).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN has extended John Skipper's contract through 2018

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
So grantland is dying via a million cuts or what. All I see is them losing writers.

In more fun news. I just got hired at fox sports. My job is to watch sports all day. #humblebrag

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
so where/when is lowe going to move to?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

soggybagel posted:

So grantland is dying via a million cuts or what. All I see is them losing writers.

In more fun news. I just got hired at fox sports. My job is to watch sports all day. #humblebrag

Who else have they lost so far? Morris is the first regular contributor I've seen (other than Simmons of course). All the other people I read with any frequency are still there.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Geno posted:

so where/when is lowe going to move to?

Lowe's got value so he'll prob be moved to the mothership. Most of the heavy sports analytics people will prob be saved, if only to keep them away from Yahoo/Fox/Bleacher Report/etc. It's the entertainment people who will probably be cut after the election/not renewed.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The ESPN Book guy says that Skipper signing his extension means Grantland is probably safe for now.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It's safe in that they aren't going to close it down tomorrow. There's still some value to the name and it can be a loss leader if it wins awards. The smart money is still on some kind of merger between that and 538's less political aspects after the election, with some kind of bloodletting staff-wise.

There's also Whitlock's old project, if that ends up getting folded in, which may be the best case for it at this point.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who else have they lost so far? Morris is the first regular contributor I've seen (other than Simmons of course). All the other people I read with any frequency are still there.

Well its more they've slowly been losing people and if I recall from the Simmons firing, there was a lot of back and forth about Grantland wanting to bring on more people and ESPN wouldn't allow it. So people who weren't writing as much have stepped up a bit more, I'm thinking someone like Shea Serrano. Granted, the people they've lost that come to mind weren't their premiere people. I know some contributors left or were just kind of slowly removed. Tess Lynch and Emily Yoshida come to mind. Jay Caspian Kang doesn't do anything there anymore. Losing Morris is a blow because I really really liked his writing and the do you like prince movies podcast...however I think he could probably still do that if he wanted. If you like him or not, Klosterman was a big name and besides the Moses Malone In Memoriam he seems like he's checked out from Grantland once Simmons got cut.

It just feels like they're losing people but not bringing anyone in. At least thats my perception.

I wish they would have just hired everyone who lost their jobs once The Dissolve went rear end up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't think Klosterman or Kang were ever on staff, they're just freelancers (although I wish Kang would do more for them). Shea Serrano quit his day job as a teacher to focus on writing full time, which probably explains why he appears more frequently. I'm not ready to sound the alarm bells for Grantland's future just yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

soggybagel posted:

Jay Caspian Kang doesn't do anything there anymore.

That's because he left in late 2013.

Morris is the first person they've had leave since Simmons got booted and I suspect he was gone even if that hadn't happened. It's the New York Times after all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Morris apparently turned down a similar offer last year when Simmons was still around. And yeah, guys like Kang just seem like normal staff shuffling.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

howe_sam posted:

That's because he left in late 2013.

Morris is the first person they've had leave since Simmons got booted and I suspect he was gone even if that hadn't happened. It's the New York Times after all.

Yes I know. Which is why I said he doesn't do things there anymore. Its a shame too becauseI really like his writing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Probably a good opportunity to post Jay Caspian Kang's good feature on Kareem

quote:

We saw tigers and silverback gorillas, as well as baby goats at the petting zoo. Abdul-Jabbar, looking impassively at the animals, would occasionally recite a fact about their mating habits or natural habitat. ‘‘Sea lions and wolves share a common ancestor,’’ he said dryly.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 18, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

quote:

I asked Abdul-Jabbar if he sometimes wished he had played in the era of social media, if Twitter and Instagram might have given him a more ideal way to communicate with fans.

‘‘That would have been great,’’ he said. ‘‘It would’ve been nice to really be able to explain myself in the way I wanted to explain myself.’’

Man imagine how racist 1960s segregated twitter would have been

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

Yes I know. Which is why I said he doesn't do things there anymore. Its a shame too becauseI really like his writing.

He left way before Simmons though so it's not really the same thing. I think he was just ready to move on. He had a novel come out somewhere around that time too. Klosterman has been checked out since the first year too, I think he was just a name to get them started (there was a lot of that at the start, I think Dave Eggers was associated with them at one point too and wrote all of like one thing).

Writers moving on to other stuff is a pretty normal thing, I don't think it's a sign that they're dying. They've brought new people in too, although none that are especially high profile. If there's a mass exodus after Morris as more people's contracts come up then maybe.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 18, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I didn't mean Kang leaving was a result of some exodus because people were bummed out. And yeah Klosterman was checked out but he still popped up once in a while. Also I am just throwing up caution as I do really like the site. I'm not overly concerned but it would suck if more people do leave.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Barnwell says that any turnover at Grantland is largely random and due for regression (makes noise that sounds like either breathing or inhaling liquefied nachos through a tube) to the mean.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

One day people will be amazed that Charlie Pierce, Brian Phillips and Wesley Morris all wrote for the same place. They will be amazed that the best NBA writer and the best NBA profiler of the era worked there too—especially when they learn the former had close to debilitating Aspergers.

This amazement will only grow, however, when they realize the same place also employed Bill Barnwell and serial medium-taker Andrew Sharpe.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Andy Greenwald: "Yo, Don Draper is spitting fire"

Me: Jesus Christ.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BWV posted:

One day people will be amazed that Charlie Pierce,

Charlie Pierce is the greatest. He even has the best opinions on Law & Order :allears:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BWV posted:

They will be amazed that the best NBA writer and the best NBA profiler of the era worked there too—especially when they learn the former had close to debilitating Aspergers.

Lowe?

I'm bummed Wesley Morris is leaving and that probably means no more Do You Like Prince Movies, but as long as Food News is still going all is not lost.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BWV posted:

One day people will be amazed that Charlie Pierce, Brian Phillips and Wesley Morris all wrote for the same place. They will be amazed that the best NBA writer and the best NBA profiler of the era worked there too—especially when they learn the former had close to debilitating Aspergers.

This amazement will only grow, however, when they realize the same place also employed Bill Barnwell and serial medium-taker Andrew Sharpe.

Andrew Sharp gave us #HotSportsTakes, though.

(Why haven't we seen one of those in a long time? Lord knows there's stuff he could write about.)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

howe_sam posted:

He even has the best opinions on Law & Order :allears:
That's a lot of correct opinions in one confined space.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

Andrew Sharp gave us #HotSportsTakes, though.

(Why haven't we seen one of those in a long time? Lord knows there's stuff he could write about.)

i think because he began trying to write more seriously and they started to resemble his parody articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Frackie Robinson posted:

Lowe?

I'm bummed Wesley Morris is leaving and that probably means no more Do You Like Prince Movies, but as long as Food News is still going all is not lost.

If Firewall and Iceberg can't survive Fienberg moving to the Hollywood Reporter, I don't have much hope for Do You Like Price Movies, which is too bad because it was the only Grantland pop culture podcast I liked.