Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

Comparisons - Nagato's Bug Collection

this is what it's all about. bravo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I just finished marathoning all of Endless Eight, having never seen any of it before. It was awesome and awesomely frustrating and my mind is now lukewarm pudding. I'll collect my thoughts and post them tomorrow, and then catch up on today's episodes.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

Comparisons - Nagato's Bug Collection

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

gently caress it I'll quote it all

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

good bug pics

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think I like the season 2 opening better than the season 1 opening. The first one is good too, but the singer's enthusiasm in the second one is contagious.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Attempt 1
http://gfycat.com/JealousElegantHoneybadger

Attempt 2
http://gfycat.com/AlertDesertedGlassfrog

Attempt 3
http://gfycat.com/RemorsefulRealisticAsianporcupine

Attempt 4
http://gfycat.com/VillainousLegalBichonfrise

Attempt 5
http://gfycat.com/ImpressiveDisgustingEthiopianwolf

Attempt 6
http://gfycat.com/ScalyRewardingImperialeagle

Attempt 7
http://gfycat.com/WeeklyHonestDunnart

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Awesome

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

man the variation is staggering

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/hs93GD6.gifv
hehe

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

poor mikuru

also those kids look like they're ready for anything

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

poor mikuru

also those kids look like they're ready for anything

future brigade members in the making no doubt

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

preview of coming attractions

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

preview of coming attractions

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
oh man, I'm watching Sigh 3 again and there's something in it that's so small, but I can't remember it happening at any point elsewhere in the series and it's great

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Endless Eight Survivor Brigade sig badge proposal #1:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Sighs stands out in my memory as the weakest of the Haruhi arcs, though until now I've only watched it the once. Haruhi transcends being merely bossy in it and becomes a bully. My ex, who had been watching the second season with me up to this point (even through e8), called it quits after I think the next episode due to this, and I couldn't really blame her. It also seems too drawn out. They knew how many episodes they wanted, and they knew they wanted Disappearance for the movie, so Sighs had to have five episodes; it would be better paced at four, or maybe even three.

That said, I still liked it back in the day, and I'm still liking it now. I have a much better appreciation for Kyoani's direction and camerawork now than I did six years ago, and though they're being more reserved on that front in these episodes, it's still good stuff.
Yeah Sighs was where the show (and books) kind of lost me, though Disappearance was of course good enough to draw most people (myself included) back in.

I don't dislike the later post-Disappearance arcs as much as Sighs but I feel more disappointed by them because they play it way too safe and are too afraid to actually develop/change either the characters or status quo.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sorry I didn't post last night while watching. I shall not make the same mistake again for Disappearance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Endless Eight 7

lol Never even spotted this Back to the Future reference.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Never even spotted this Back to the Future reference.

it's pretty cool, I'm trying to remember if disappearance has any since it's got straight up bttf2 stuff going on
I falsely remembered that shot being from disappearance for that reason

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 16, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

this is an old one of in training's that I didn't see in his big dump (lol)

old but relevant gif from linnaeus

also from linnaeus, great moment from yesterday's ep

v good idea

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 16, 2015

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Sweet GIFs!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I wanna talk about Koizumi cause he's got a monologue coming up tomorrow that's one of my favorite parts of the show. I'll save it tho.

Anyone got strong feelings on Koizumi?

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 16, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

I wanna talk about Koizumi cause he's got a monologue coming up tomorrow that's one of my favorite parts of the show. I'll save it tho.

he's a loving liar

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

he's a loving liar

more charitably, you could say that due to the nature of his work he might be... out of the habit of being forthright. (although in disappearance we learn that he might not need a job at the syndicate to become the type to conceal his feelings. BUT, we don't ever really know for sure that disappearance Koizumi was concealing anything from Haruhi - he might have been, for instance, one of her many one-off dates in that universe, and they stayed friends afterwards. my memory is fuzzy on this though.

also I think he and haruhi share a fondness for playing with people (I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the things he admires about her), but whereas she has the power to do it directly, his only option is subtlety. so haruhi plays with people in a brash domineering physical way whereas koizumi does it with wit and subterfuge. maybe there's a little more honor and personal integrity in haruhi's approach, but it's the same basic instinct at rock bottom, I think.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 16, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

it's really hard to talk about koizumi without having already seen that mentioned monologue

it was also funny to learn that the later novels made koizumi the leader of the organization

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Koizumi : Kyon :: Haruhi : Mikuru

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

it was also funny to learn that the later novels made koizumi the leader of the organization

one of the things I love about the show, and actually it's something that Koizumi kinda represents for me as Captain Ambiguity, is how little the operational details of the Syndicate, or Mikuru's time travel thing, or even the Data Overmind really matter. the more ambiguous those things are the happier I am.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Zas posted:

My feelings about Koizumi have actually become less strong on the re-watch.

My first time through, I sort of lumped him in with Asakura, but I can't adequately explain why. Basically, he seemed like some manner of villain who was willing to do anything for the sake of gathering more information.

On the re-watch, for whatever reason, he feels much more like one of the gang. Kyon 's responses to him feel a lot more teasing and a lot less sharply critical.

Of course, this perspective is only through yesterday's episodes for the time being.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

one of the things I love about the show, and actually it's something that Koizumi kinda represents for me as Captain Ambiguity, is how little the operational details of the Syndicate, or Mikuru's time travel thing, or even the Data Overmind really matter. the more ambiguous those things are the happier I am.

completely agree

the data ambiguity also makes parts of the movie really good

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

My feelings about Koizumi have actually become less strong on the re-watch.

My first time through, I sort of lumped him in with Asakura, but I can't adequately explain why. Basically, he seemed like some manner of villain who was willing to do anything for the sake of gathering more information.

On the re-watch, for whatever reason, he feels much more like one of the gang. Kyon 's responses to him feel a lot more teasing and a lot less sharply critical.

Of course, this perspective is only through yesterday's episodes for the time being.

see, it's sooo easy to see him as just a villain behind that cheshire cat smile. and we already know from the remote island series that he likes to play with people, as innocent and pragmatic as his explanation was.

But I wonder sometimes if it's more a product of stress, nervousness, and maybe loneliness. We know Mikuru has friends. Kyon has his buddies. Maybe Koizumi is close to some people at the syndicate, and that's how he was able to orchestrate Remote Island syndrome, or maybe it's just because he happens to be the member closest to Haruhi and thus is in a position of influence. But lines like this, as clumsy as they are and potentially duplicitous as they seem, actually strike me as genuine:

I think Koizumi is actually a lonely guy who found some friends, even if he can't really be on the level with them.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 16, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

A little more on the stress angle:

Of all the characters, he has the most concrete and personal set of reasons to be in awe of Haruhi. His job is essentially a janitor of her god-like subconscious (at least, according to him). Mikuru might be Haruhi's victim of choice, but Koizumi is the human character who has the most personal and direct experience with Haruhi's real power - at least as far as we know.

I also think he's the cleverest of the human characters, and I think this sometimes bothers him, maybe makes him feel alienated. Can't talk much with Yuki obviously, his relationship with Mikuru (to this point) is completely ambiguous other than him enabling Haruhi's bullying and the two collaborating on solving the EE mystery, he's a complete supplicant to Haruhi, and he's something of a frenemy to Kyon (or at least, that's what I think Kyon thinks - recall his increasing irritation over the course of the EE, to the point where he actually appears to suspect Koizumi of mistreating Mikuru near the end, judging by his tone).

So when he gives that uncomfortable smile, or uses the Nuremberg defense, or takes out his frustrations by messing with people, remember that he's a 15 year old boy stuck in an almost impossible situation and, as far as we can tell, doing a hell of a job. I might wear a poo poo eating grin too, if it were me.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, I didn't read any of the books but he always seemed okay to me. Maybe a little weary. If anything, he's part of what seems like the most selfless of the factions, because who knows what the eventual goals of the data entity or time travelers are, but it seems like the ESP guys only have the power to fight in closed space, which is going to be pretty useless most of the time.

Apart from Haruhi, Kyon might suffer the least of the five.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

hmmm so much for saving it

still, didn't spoil nothin and there'll still be a lot to talk about

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
It's interesting to consider Koizumi in the context of the SuperKyon theory (I have been rewatching assuming this to be the truth of the Haruhi universe- I don't necessarily believe that this is so, but it makes the rewatch more interesting since I'd watched it for the first time recently).

If you assume that the one with the power is, in fact, Kyon and not Haruhi (and there are various bits of evidence suggesting this across the course of the series, including the resolution of Endless Eight), there are two major possibilities for each major of the *-jin gang.
1. They believe that everything is actually Haruhi's doing.
2. They don't believe it, and everything they say to Kyon is by way of a ruse to try to keep the universe from going haywire.

If you assume that Koizumi knows, in fact, that it's really Kyon's subconscious pulling the strings behind the scenes and not Haruhi's, then this whole time he's been trying to get closer to his god, but being constantly rebuffed. Anything that Haruhi does is either implicitly approved of by Kyon (Baseball tournament, video game tournament, webpage, culture-fest concert, movie) or else Kyon intends for himself to be the one to put an end to Haruhi's antics. Kyon intends to be the hero, so to speak, and bad things will happen if he's not given that chance.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 16, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Agronox posted:

yeah this is definitely worth keeping in mind, it's very important to how I read the show anyway. and actually I might even include haruhi :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's neat how hopeless everyone in the gang is, barring Haruhi, who has enough exuberant energy for 10 people

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

A little more on the stress angle:

Of all the characters, he has the most concrete and personal set of reasons to be in awe of Haruhi. His job is essentially a janitor of her god-like subconscious (at least, according to him). Mikuru might be Haruhi's victim of choice, but Koizumi is the human character who has the most personal and direct experience with Haruhi's real power - at least as far as we know.

I also think he's the cleverest of the human characters, and I think this sometimes bothers him, maybe makes him feel alienated. Can't talk much with Yuki obviously, his relationship with Mikuru (to this point) is completely ambiguous other than him enabling Haruhi's bullying and the two collaborating on solving the EE mystery, he's a complete supplicant to Haruhi, and he's something of a frenemy to Kyon (or at least, that's what I think Kyon thinks - recall his increasing irritation over the course of the EE, to the point where he actually appears to suspect Koizumi of mistreating Mikuru near the end, judging by his tone).

So when he gives that uncomfortable smile, or uses the Nuremberg defense, or takes out his frustrations by messing with people, remember that he's a 15 year old boy stuck in an almost impossible situation and, as far as we can tell, doing a hell of a job. I might wear a poo poo eating grin too, if it were me.

his character song supports your view :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TthwZJfwtL0

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

Yeah, I didn't read any of the books but he always seemed okay to me. Maybe a little weary. If anything, he's part of what seems like the most selfless of the factions, because who knows what the eventual goals of the data entity or time travelers are, but it seems like the ESP guys only have the power to fight in closed space, which is going to be pretty useless most of the time.

He does, Kyon actually gets to have a pretty good time all things considered.

When everyone else has to worship the hot god, but the hot god worships you, things are actually probably not that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I don't necessarily buy that Haruhi is a happy person, or rather I wonder if she isn't ruthlessly forcing her cheerfulness because she's SO afraid of a void - I'm talking about her memory of the baseball game and her realization of her insignificance here. That realization coming at such a young age isn't a good thing. So apathy, meaninglessness, a solid material world - she simply won't allow herself to accept these things, and I think that in turn leads her into buying the notion of the supernatural that Kyon so smugly proclaims he grew out of in Melancholy 1. But I'm getting off track.

She of course has extraordinary energy, an incredible will to power, and (probably?) superhuman abilities,

but this girl is still partly her, she didn't transform just because she made a resolution and ordered a guy named John Smith to draw some lines in the grass.

We could start talking about Wishes now, but all I'll say is that from the show's POV a wish is only as good as what you do with it, and as banal as that sounds I like what they do with the idea.

• Locked thread