Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yup.

More MGSV: activating a decoy when an enemy is investigating/on top of the disc will stun them.

"Eliminate armed infantry" side ops became far easier after I learned this. No need to worry about their armor anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

MGSV is a good time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd like to thank whoever in this thread posted about Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, because goddamn is that a fantastic game and I hope it was lauded like hell during release. It manages to capture the essence of nearly every drat convention in the Wild West genre of fiction, and both pokes fun and revels in them through its narrative of a legendary bounty hunter telling his story.

It also does something I've never seen in a game before: after you finish the game, the loading screen tips in a New Game Plus incorporate a bunch of new messages that comment on the protagonist's thoughts and actions while he's giving his story. Apart from clarifying what led to the finale, you also get some messages that give you some perspective on why the protagonist tells the story the way he does and end it the way/s he can. I really appreciated how the developers went the extra mile for their story, especially since you'd think it was just an excuse to play cowboy.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, everybody knows you can hide in boxes in MGS. In V, you can also stand up and run about, and throw yourself down to the ground. If you do this on a slope, you can slide all the way to the bottom. Sometimes this is very far, and very fast. And very fun.

And the sniper Buddy who can just solo entire missions on her own if you tell her to. Early ones, but still funny. And take down entire bases without you having to do a thing.

Also the Rocket Punch. Although I don't think the soldiers at Mother Base think so.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
In MGSV rain will wash the blood and gore off of Snake just as well as a shower, which is cool but not unexpected from Kojima's level of detail. What's even more amazing is that rain will do the same thing even during cutscenes. If it's raining during a cutscene and Snake was covered in gore at the beginning, it'll all be slowly washed away and by the end of the cutscene he'll be squeaky clean.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
And yet he still equips his default guns in cutscenes, even if you don't have them equipped.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

McDragon posted:

Also the Rocket Punch. Although I don't think the soldiers at Mother Base think so.

Not sure if it's a bug but both the actual rocket punch and Snake screaming ROOOOOOOCKET PUUUUUUUUUUUNCH are considered silent actions and won't attract any attention. :v:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Potato Jones posted:

MGSV is a good time.

That settles it, I'm buying MGSV with my next check. I was trying to wait until I could buy it used, but Konami has proven it deserves my money again.

poptart_fairy posted:

Not sure if it's a bug but both the actual rocket punch and Snake screaming ROOOOOOOCKET PUUUUUUUUUUUNCH are considered silent actions and won't attract any attention. :v:

...and now I need to buy two copies.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Screaming Idiot posted:

That settles it, I'm buying MGSV with my next check. I was trying to wait until I could buy it used, but Konami has proven it deserves my money again.

Well, at least this one last time, for sure.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
I literally just bought this game because of this thread. I spent all my grown-up money on a system for babies, so I'm getting this on PS3. Still really looking forward to getting home later.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

poptart_fairy posted:

Does this also apply to using the Hand of Jehuty when Snake bellows out HAIDARAAAAA? I never used it near enough to other soldiers to check.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lady Naga posted:

And yet he still equips his default guns in cutscenes, even if you don't have them equipped.

At least they learned from MGS 4 where it would also force them into your inventory and equip them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

graybook posted:

Does this also apply to using the Hand of Jehuty when Snake bellows out HAIDARAAAAA? I never used it near enough to other soldiers to check.

Yep. Doesn't alert anyone.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Esroc posted:

In MGSV rain will wash the blood and gore off of Snake just as well as a shower, which is cool but not unexpected from Kojima's level of detail. What's even more amazing is that rain will do the same thing even during cutscenes. If it's raining during a cutscene and Snake was covered in gore at the beginning, it'll all be slowly washed away and by the end of the cutscene he'll be squeaky clean.
Rain will also get the cardboard box soggy and make it fall apart after a while. You can then, of course, develop a special water resistant cardboard box.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just logged on to MGSV, Miller tells me I need to head back to base now cause its an emergency.

They sang me happy birthday. :3:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Happy birthday Shawqa

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I punched myself in the face with the Rocket Punch. Good times.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love dressing my cardboard box up like an anime idol, then when a soldier is perving over her bursting out and giving him a metal fist square in the face.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I like when you get a rocket fist off in reflex mode and you get to watch the soldier's startled face in glorious slow mo detail

basically the rocket arm is the best weapon in the game and I can't wait until my increased battery upgrade for it finishes

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
In mgsv in Africa there's a radio that plays the P.T. broadcast, which is a nice touch.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
Recently, I've been dipping in to Disney Infinity. So far, it's a surprisingly delightful money sink.

There are a lot of neat little things that mirror the toy aesthetic and the aesthetics of the various franchises. I used to collect Star Wars toys, so I was really tickled when I saw that Luke's landspeeder had the same little button on the front as the actual Kenner toy, and if you crashed the button would depress and pop the hood (just like the toy).

While playing as the characters from Tron: Legacy, killing enemies and destroying objects has the "derez" effect from the film. While playing on Tron: Legacy themed levels or riding in vehicles from the film, the soundtrack is replaced with Daft Punk's score.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I, too, just got mgsv because of this thread. You bastards :argh:

Now the stupid update file is taking twice as long to download as the actual game because it just hit 5pm, :argh: :argh:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Mad Max does a great job giving little insights into just how crap the world got during the Fall. A lot of this comes from the History Relics you can collect, but the world-building goes further just from the scavenging locations you visit. The game doesn't give you any explanation for some of the places you find or the things you find there.

So it can be pretty drat unnerving when you're scouring a Roadkill site for that last piece of scrap or relic, and you climb up and find a ladder that leads down to a pit just full of dead bodies and disgusting with gore and flies.

And poor Max doesn't say anything a lot of the time. Except one time when he came across a small camp in the middle of the desert and just muttered, utterly broken, "No. We don't eat the long pig."

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This thread has convinced me to order MGSV. I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear (NES) in like '87? Maybe '88? Aside from watching all the LP's of the individual games, is there a reasonably quick way to get an overview of everything that's gone on since back then?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

HairyManling posted:

This thread has convinced me to order MGSV. I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear (NES) in like '87? Maybe '88? Aside from watching all the LP's of the individual games, is there a reasonably quick way to get an overview of everything that's gone on since back then?

A great little thing about The Phantom Pain is you get little tapes from Ocelot giving summaries of what happened in the prior Big Boss MGS games. You'll miss out on some of the less explicit stuff and the "HEY THIS IS THAT CHARACTER FROM MGS<future number>", but you'll do just fine. At most, watch a playthrough of Ground Zeroes. It's like an hour or two at most and sets up the most immediately important stuff for the game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

graybook posted:

My previous ones have been NAKED TANGO, MIKE SNATCHER, and my current is WHISKEY EATER. I'll change to something better soon but I'm proud to a degree of MIKE SNATCHER.

You're late

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favorite one I've seen so far (I was apprehensive about the multiplayer, but it's been really fun) has been 'CHICK HOTEL'.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.

Cleretic posted:

My favorite one I've seen so far (I was apprehensive about the multiplayer, but it's been really fun) has been 'CHICK HOTEL'.

I actually had a beautiful pink and purple Chick Hotel logo. I have since changed to 'Octopus Papa' in dedication to Octodad.

I'm really enjoying the people that try and weasel out of being held up by you, its fantastic to catch them just as they turn around to stab you, knock the knife out of their hand and then cold clock with a single robofist punch.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

This thread and some friends also helped convince me to buy Metal Gear, and I have no regrets. Once you get the Fulton device, it turns into the best Pokemon game ever. Gotta catch em all!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You get a lot of missions that tell you to eliminate targets but instead of killing them you can recruit them for the Diamond Dogs. If you do you usually get a little interesting bit of side story. For example, in the mission that sets up the concept of FOBs, Mother Base is attacked and you have to eliminate the enemy commanding officer. If you extract him you learn that he used to be in your organization 9 years ago before the attack. Someone told him that Snake was responsible for the attack as a means of going into hiding and that now he was back he was going to kill anyone involved. So the guy got paranoid, formed his own organization and decided to attack first.

Also there are some missions where you don't learn the whole story unless you start doing stuff that aren't in the main objectives. There's one where you're hired to rescue a guy called The Viscount from a enemy camp, you're only hired to rescue him not any of the other prisoners. Turns out if you do rescue the other prisoners they tell you The Viscount hired you himself through a cut out and set up the other prisoners to take the fall for his double cross of the organization they all belonged to.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As Big Boss doesn't seem too smart I'm running with 'special camp'.

I really like the sound design in this game, the subtle wind noise when D-Horse sprints, the jarring clatter when you knock over a bucket. All the little incidental sounds have had a lot of love put into them.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

I really like the sound design in this game, the subtle wind noise when D-Horse sprints, the jarring clatter when you knock over a bucket. All the little incidental sounds have had a lot of love put into them.

The little sounds are so useful, too. If I'm sneaking, I get upset if people are talking, like anywhere in the house above a whisper. Or maybe that's just me being immersed. "Be quiet, dude. I'm sneaking. They'll find me."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

You get a lot of missions that tell you to eliminate targets but instead of killing them you can recruit them for the Diamond Dogs. If you do you usually get a little interesting bit of side story. For example, in the mission that sets up the concept of FOBs, Mother Base is attacked and you have to eliminate the enemy commanding officer. If you extract him you learn that he used to be in your organization 9 years ago before the attack. Someone told him that Snake was responsible for the attack as a means of going into hiding and that now he was back he was going to kill anyone involved. So the guy got paranoid, formed his own organization and decided to attack first.

Also there are some missions where you don't learn the whole story unless you start doing stuff that aren't in the main objectives. There's one where you're hired to rescue a guy called The Viscount from a enemy camp, you're only hired to rescue him not any of the other prisoners. Turns out if you do rescue the other prisoners they tell you The Viscount hired you himself through a cut out and set up the other prisoners to take the fall for his double cross of the organization they all belonged to.

I'm curious what happens if you do just follow the objective in that one. I can't pass up talented staff.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
My roommate came in last night and was like "You're still playing this? How are you not done yet?"

Dude I am 10% done with this and I've been playing almost nonstop since getting it. Sandboxes are my absolute bane and I imagine once Africa opens up it's gonna be ten times worse(better).

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Buzkashi posted:

My roommate came in last night and was like "You're still playing this? How are you not done yet?"

Dude I am 10% done with this and I've been playing almost nonstop since getting it. Sandboxes are my absolute bane and I imagine once Africa opens up it's gonna be ten times worse(better).

Same here. I am also a little stuck on an early(???) main mission (trying to steal some truck) and have been going through side missions because I can actually finish them, and I can still do development and explore so I'm not bored, but my percentage is hilariously low for the hours I've spent.

My favorite little thing about MGS5 are the anime posters all over my base. I keep ripping them down but they keep coming back! Goddamnit, soldiers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

My favorite little thing about MGS5 are the anime posters all over my base. I keep ripping them down but they keep coming back! Goddamnit, soldiers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

You've checked the radial menu entries for your cardboard boxes, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

Same here. I am also a little stuck on an early(???) main mission (trying to steal some truck) and have been going through side missions because I can actually finish them, and I can still do development and explore so I'm not bored, but my percentage is hilariously low for the hours I've spent.

You can attach those to cardboard boxes, if you haven't noticed yet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aphrodite posted:

I'm curious what happens if you do just follow the objective in that one. I can't pass up talented staff.

I don't know about that one specifically, but usually if there's an objective to complete for extra info that you didn't do, Kaz will mention in the debriefing that he still has some concerns or something. Basically, he'll make it clear that there's more to learn, if not how to find out.

Another thing about MGSV I liked when I started noticing it: Quiet's idle animations in the ACC change as she trusts you more. Early on she'll mostly be stretching and being very impersonal and official; she'll look at you occasionally, but it's a very serious 'let's get this poo poo done' look. Later on she starts getting more casual and friendly around you, though, to the point where you'll be doing base stuff on the iDroid and she'll just be lying there looking at you. For having such bad visual design, I think Quiet is my favorite character in the game without even talking.

And one last thing: The game provides the best way to ruin dramatic cutscenes I've ever seen. (No real spoilers in the image behind the link, although it is from a late scene)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Actually, it wasn't the fact that Huey's history's greatest monster to put Otacon off his dad, it's that he didn't like Hal wasting his time watching them Japanese toons.