Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Kaiho posted:

Pubs with loads of space that will book areas and I've never had to pay to book:

The Three Johns, Angel
The Hop and Berry, Angel
Harrild and Sons, City Thameslink

Awesome - I'll take a look thanks

Muga posted:

I had a nice area in The Swan At The Globe for a birthday. They did nice pizzas great for sharing round a big group.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Any goons been to Kitty Fisher's or Som Saa yet? I'm planning on going to Som Saa next weekend and I guess Kitty Fisher's whenever I can get a reservation....

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Any goons been to Kitty Fisher's or Som Saa yet? I'm planning on going to Som Saa next weekend and I guess Kitty Fisher's whenever I can get a reservation....

I'm heading to London first week of October and was planning on going there, how far in advance do you need to make a reservation? Hadn't even thought about it.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Months, supposedly although it may have calmed down a little bit now. Also you have to call them, no online reservations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

kim jong-illin posted:

Other breakfast/brunch suggestions - Long White Cloud in Hoxton, Counter Cafe in Hackney Wick (my personal recommendation - the vegetarian breakfast is stunning), Workshop in Clerkenwell (their Aeropressed coffee is outstanding, the French toast fantastic), St John in Spitalfields (just get a bacon sandwich, they do insane things to pigs), Caravan in Exmouth Market, and Kopapa in Seven Dials (pricer than all the other recommendations)

Went to Counter Cafe and had that veggie breakfast yesterday - thanks for the recommendation! Excellent food, amazing poached eggs, great coffee, and really nice vibe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Anyone been to Galvin on Baker Street? I'm being taken there on a date.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The_Doctor posted:

I have not, but I have been to Galvin at Windows. Food was very good, cocktails were absolutely outstanding.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The_Doctor posted:

Did you get the crab lasagne? It's fantastic. If it's a first date that's quite a flash location.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

knox_harrington posted:

Did you get the crab lasagne? It's fantastic. If it's a first date that's quite a flash location.

It's a second date, but it's not until September 12th. I seem to have found a sugar daddy. I'm OK with this.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

It's a second date, but it's not until September 12th. I seem to have found a sugar daddy. I'm OK with this.

Somebody's getting a Combiner Wars Devastator!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I thought you had a BF? Evidently not.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

therattle posted:

I thought you had a BF? Evidently not.

Not since February. :smith:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Not since February. :smith:

Ah. I haven't been keeping up with my stalking.

Mind you, I can't be doing it very well; I don't even know if you're a man or a woman!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I wasn't sure for a while either, dont feel so bad about it now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

To drop my air of mystery, I'm a man.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Had some great North African (Moroccan, Algerian etc.) food from the set menu at Momo tonight, definitely worth checking out the rest of the menu too.

We've had afternoon tea there before and it's utterly delicious - it's more of a savoury take on afternoon tea and makes a fantastic alternative to the usual bland sandwiches and overly sweet cakes most places do. Their tea selection is great as well.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I went to Som Saa tonight and it was fantastic- really fresh flavoursome northern Thai food. We arrived at 5:30 and had a drink at the bar until they started seating people at 6pm and it was completely full by 6:10pm.

Everything we had was brilliant but my favourites were the smoky aubergine dish and palm sugar ice cream with banana. Definitely worth a try if you like Asian cuisine.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Had my eye on Som Saa for ages, but I know it'll be wasted on a vegetarian.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
If you eat fish and eggs you'll be ok but if not I wouldn't bother. Then again the people next to us brought along their child who is allergic to nuts and chilli (what a waste of a table setting)?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

I went to Som Saa tonight and it was fantastic- really fresh flavoursome northern Thai food. We arrived at 5:30 and had a drink at the bar until they started seating people at 6pm and it was completely full by 6:10pm.

Everything we had was brilliant but my favourites were the smoky aubergine dish and palm sugar ice cream with banana. Definitely worth a try if you like Asian cuisine.

Have you been to The Heron? If so, how does it compare? Som Saa does sound more flash but the Heron is the best northern Thai I've had so far, though it's a bit weird now they've redecorated

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

NLJP posted:

Have you been to The Heron? If so, how does it compare? Som Saa does sound more flash but the Heron is the best northern Thai I've had so far, though it's a bit weird now they've redecorated

No, but I've heard it's gotten more expensive and the quality has dropped a bit. Probably still worth a try when I eventually get around to it.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I'm going on a first date tomorrow evening in south London. I was recommended a pub called Cable near Oval, which looks cute, but if it goes well and we want to grab a bite to eat or something afterward are there any places anyone would recommend between Oval and Tooting Bec (so Vauxhall, Brixton, Clapham, etc all fine) which is

- casual but not takeaway casual
- good value but not cheap
- interesting and cool but not over the top risky/inaccessible for a person whose food preferences I know nothing about

I don't know, anything worthwhile. Very open to suggestions. If there's some must-visit pub that you would recommend over Cable in basically all of south London for a first date (talkable volume level) I'd also be interested to hear.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I had the misfortune to eat at Gilgamesh on Sunday. Luckily someone else paid, because not only is it poo poo but expensive too (and super-tacky).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So I'm taking elderly family member who can't walk much to see something at the Prince of Wales on Saturday, and he's absolutely insisting that we have a pub lunch before, which is criminal given the area. :v:

I don't suppose anyone has a recommendation for something that's not entirely terrible and is within a 5 minute walk of Piccadilly Circus/Leicester Square?

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
The Market Tavern in Shepherd's Market is nice, maybe slightly more than five minutes but not by much.

Actually looking now it might be slightly out of range if the relative's got mobility issues.

Artificial Idiocy fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 2, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Artificial Idiocy posted:

The Market Tavern in Shepherd's Market is nice, maybe slightly more than five minutes but not by much.

Actually looking now it might be slightly out of range if the relative's got mobility issues.

Yeah, that's sadly too far for him to walk, but I'll keep it mind in case he feels up to walking from there to the theatre. Thanks.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I'm going on a first date tomorrow evening in south London. I was recommended a pub called Cable near Oval, which looks cute, but if it goes well and we want to grab a bite to eat or something afterward are there any places anyone would recommend between Oval and Tooting Bec (so Vauxhall, Brixton, Clapham, etc all fine) which is

- casual but not takeaway casual
- good value but not cheap
- interesting and cool but not over the top risky/inaccessible for a person whose food preferences I know nothing about

I don't know, anything worthwhile. Very open to suggestions. If there's some must-visit pub that you would recommend over Cable in basically all of south London for a first date (talkable volume level) I'd also be interested to hear.

Seven at Brixton in Brixton Village, or one of the many other places around there really, would work well for a first date.

http://www.sevenatbrixton.com/

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

sweek0 posted:

Seven at Brixton in Brixton Village, or one of the many other places around there really, would work well for a first date.

http://www.sevenatbrixton.com/

That actually looks great, thanks for the recommendation. Even if we don't want a DINNER dinner, a few little plates and some of those reasonably priced cocktails seem like a solid choice.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Well I'm about done in London and there is some really good food here but goddamn is it expensive. New York prices with the bonus of dealing with the exchange rate!

Dinner by Heston was definitely worth all the hype but I would not recommend Gymkhana. Big disappointment there.

A. Wong and Nopi were nice surprises. Thanks London!

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Anyone have recommendations for Korean places in Soho and/or Farringdon?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Han Kang and Koba (not quite Soho but close enough).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I often go to Arang on Golden Square with work, I enjoy the lunch specials. More downmarket but I also quite like Bibinbap on Greek Street, for the titular dish.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Jubo is good if you want KFC, but is not a 'Korean' restaurant in the sense that there are cocktails instead of pint glasses of sochu. Still really, really good chicken though. 2nd only to Chikn Sourz or the Foxlow.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Hana, just south of Oxford Street.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Hello Londoners,

My husband and I will be traveling across the pond and visiting your lovely city at the end of October. We'll be staying for a few days around the Kensington area (near Earls Court tube station) and would love to get some recommendations of nearby (or easily accessible by tube or walking) restaurants. Maybe someplace that would do a traditional afternoon tea? I would also like to try some traditional English fare or someplace that can do a really good haggis. I know that's more Scottish (I think) but it's something I've always heard of and would like to try. Thanks in advance!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The SO is going to be in town in a couple weeks and she's looking for brunch recommendations for her and 3 of her friends. They want good food and a relaxed environment (somewhere where they can chill after they eat without getting pressured off the table).

Time: 11ish on a Saturday
Location: Fairly open. Would probably avoid south and southwest London since it's a pain in the rear end to get to from Pinner.
Cuisine: Brunch! Is brunch a cuisine? Again, this is pretty open. I suggested Duck and Waffle, but they're booked. Someone else suggested Dishoom which I've heard is just ok.
Price: ~£30/head including a couple drinks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

angor posted:

The SO is going to be in town in a couple weeks and she's looking for brunch recommendations for her and 3 of her friends. They want good food and a relaxed environment (somewhere where they can chill after they eat without getting pressured off the table).

Time: 11ish on a Saturday
Location: Fairly open. Would probably avoid south and southwest London since it's a pain in the rear end to get to from Pinner.
Cuisine: Brunch! Is brunch a cuisine? Again, this is pretty open. I suggested Duck and Waffle, but they're booked. Someone else suggested Dishoom which I've heard is just ok.
Price: ~£30/head including a couple drinks.

How about Kopapa by Seven Dials? Here's their brunch menu: http://www.kopapa.co.uk/menus/brunch

I've been and enjoyed it immensely.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can think of loads of suggestions, it really depends on what bit of the city they want to be in. These are all big, relaxed places that can be booked and won't be chasing you out the door:

West end: The Riding House Cafe, Kopapa
Clerkenwell: Granger & Co, The Modern Pantry, Workshop
City: Hoi Polloi, Albion
East: Bistrotheque
South: Village East

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Dishoom is great for brunch! I would also add the Delauney (Aldwych) and Foxlow (Clerkenwell).

Sadly, The Modern Pantry is a bit of a mess atm and I would avoid for the immediate future. Chef has gone on maternity and kitchen seems to sort of exploded... we had an incident there recently, which, in fairness to them they offered to comp an entire meal for multiple people, but shows how er 'incidenty' it was. Give them a pass for next few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you can swing Dishoom for brunch, swing Dishoom for brunch. It's going to be a fairly novel experience for most people, probably.