Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

flakeloaf posted:

Why do people insist on not shipping to Canada?

Because the Great White North is scary. Winter is coming, you don't want to be North of the Wall when it comes.

You can probably use a courier service to get stuff across the border, might be worth it if you're buying a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Maybe but that's too much like work so I just said screw it and ordered a bunch of these Seagate ST3000VN000s intead.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

A seller on eBay just accepted my offer of $200(each) for some new 8tb seagate archive drives. Hope that was a good price.

Goddamn. Aren't those kinda slow, though, even compared to Reds?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
They're slow, but that's (relatively) fine for write once, read infrequently type applications.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Those 8tb Seagates are great for bulk storage, especially at $200.

In terms of NAS use the only time their slow speed might be an issue would be if you had several people all trying to stream data off of the drive concurrently. For most home NASs where you have 1-2 people accessing it at a time they're perfectly fine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Krailor posted:

Those 8tb Seagates are great for bulk storage, especially at $200.

The seller was actually accepting $175 for them if you buy 4+ YMMV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271973046337

I ended up getting 5 but not before I found out how low this guy was willing to go. They must of fallen off a truck or something.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Those Toshiba 5TB look like a bargain? Am I missing something? I've needed to upgrade my WD 2TBs. I was originally going to wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Any reason I shouldn't jump on this?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

spoon daddy posted:

Those Toshiba 5TB look like a bargain? Am I missing something? I've needed to upgrade my WD 2TBs. I was originally going to wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Any reason I shouldn't jump on this?

The one year warranty is worrying, but I have a couple of toshiba drives that have been excellent.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

spoon daddy posted:

They have the lowest $/gb of any drive on PCPartpicker.

Edit: ^ odd, Amazon lists a 1yr warranty but it's listed as 3yr on Newegg.

But if you can get those 8tb for under $200 I'd be tempted to go that route instead.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 17, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What are you folks doing with these 8tb drives? The rebuild time on any array has to be insane.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
seagate + 8TB scares the poo poo out of me.. good luck fellas!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Seagate hasn't been bad, overall, other than the 3TB drives.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

G-Prime posted:

Seagate hasn't been bad, overall, other than the 3TB drives.

:ohdear: gently caress man don't do this to me

Seriously though, got a source on what the issue might be?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Weren't the 3tb drives ones that were shucked at backblaze that the stats come from?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
Essentially all of the Seagate and 3tb drive hate boils down to the fact that Seagate had some QC issues right after the Tsunami that hit Thailand in late 2011.

All the data stems from the failure rates reported by Backblaze. The large majority of the drives they saw issues with were purchased in early/mid 2012 which means they were manufactured right after the tsunami.

If you take those specific drives out of the equation then everything else is within a few percentage points of each other.

Unless you're buying 100s or 1000s of drives, like Backblaze does, then those stats shouldn't really affect your buying decision. What you should be looking for is $/GB ratio.

Lets take a look at 4tb drives advertised for NAS use; Seagates run about $140, WD Reds are $150, and HGST are $170.

The failure rates reported by Backblaze are:

Seagate 3%
WD 1.75%
HGST 1.25%

Yes, the Seagates have a higher failure rate but the difference between the best and worst is less than 2 percentage points. Is that really worth the 20% increase in cost between the Seagate and HGST drive? I don't think so.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

B-B-B-B-UT IT'S TWICE AS LIKELY TO FAIL

Yeah I don't think I care too much about a bunch of faulty drives from four years ago boosting failure rates to a whopping different single digit.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Moey posted:

What are you folks doing with these 8tb drives? The rebuild time on any array has to be insane.

4k footage for work. At UHD res and 16bit depth and 24fps you're looking at 5-6TB of compressed tiffs for a 90minute feature mono only. Double it for stereo. The seagates are just for small 4-5 bay DAS devices to shuttle material between vendors and what not. The actual backend storage is much more robust that I don't manage.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Found these real cheap:

Seagate 4TB 2.5" single drive 15mm high $159 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161821659087

Some random seller on ebay but the package I got in the mail was from Best Buy, free shipping no tax. Best buy front?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Found these real cheap:

Some random seller on ebay but the package I got in the mail was from Best Buy, free shipping no tax. Best buy front?
This is 2x2TB 2.5" drives in RAID. Why would you buy that?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I'm having a problem with my FreeNAS box - it's hosting an NFS share that I can access from other computers, but when I try to connect to it through Partimage it says "SMB/NFS mount output: [ ]", doesn't give an error, and then restarts the wizard. It seems to be a problem with the FreeNAS configuration since Partimage connects just fine to other NFS shares on the network.

Is this the right place to post this problem, or do I need to go somewhere else?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Josh Lyman posted:

This is 2x2TB 2.5" drives in RAID. Why would you buy that?

It's not.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9489/seagate-backup-plus-portable-4tb-usb-30-drive-review

Similar outer casing but check the name. The 2x is the 'fast'. This is the 'plus'

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

RyuHimora posted:

I'm having a problem with my FreeNAS box - it's hosting an NFS share that I can access from other computers, but when I try to connect to it through Partimage it says "SMB/NFS mount output: [ ]", doesn't give an error, and then restarts the wizard. It seems to be a problem with the FreeNAS configuration since Partimage connects just fine to other NFS shares on the network.

Is this the right place to post this problem, or do I need to go somewhere else?

Does FreeNAS log a failed mount attempt? What are the computers that successfully mount NFS exports running?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Does FreeNAS log a failed mount attempt? What are the computers that successfully mount NFS exports running?

I'm mounting it successfully on Debian 8, Ubuntu 14.04, and the latest XenServer. Which log do I need to look at to see mount attempts? I can't seem to find it in /var/log.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

RyuHimora posted:

I'm mounting it successfully on Debian 8, Ubuntu 14.04, and the latest XenServer. Which log do I need to look at to see mount attempts? I can't seem to find it in /var/log.

I'll try to remember at work tomorrow, but iirc it just spewed it to the console when I was fat fingering mount points.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

thebigcow posted:

I'll try to remember at work tomorrow, but iirc it just spewed it to the console when I was fat fingering mount points.

Fat fingering the mount point just results in an instant fail and an actual error for me, and I don't see anything in the console.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
How does warranty work with purchasing new hard drives off Ebay... do they just go off the manufacture date when RMA'ing?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shaocaholica posted:

Found these real cheap:

You can buy it from the actual Best Buy ebay storefront for the same price at the moment. Not sure why BB would operate a second account like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-Bac...821659087&rt=nc

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

spoon daddy posted:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R33XKY...#wasThisHelpful

:stare:

I'm not sure if they're great for NAS other the impressive price (which counts for a lot, don't get me wrong), but they look really, really great for desktop use.

Of course, breaking them out of the case totally voids the warranty, but getting a 5TB 7200RPM drive for less than the cost of a 4TB WD Red seems very worth it.

Interestingly, the same drive without the external enclosure is sold for $40 more on the American Amazon site.

EDIT: forget what I said about NAS use, a RAID5 with three of these babies costs $50 more than two WD Reds. That's gonna erase any reliability concerns, I think.

The voided warranty's expected value comes down to, let's be exceedingly pessimistic and say a 3% failure rate entirely within the first three years... $4.5. You still come out way ahead.

So that leaves what, noise and power consumption as possible NAS concerns?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 20, 2015

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I have a few of those Toshiba 5tb kicking around in desktops and they've been fine so far (6+ mos). When I get around to setting up my NAS I was just going to start by repurposing a few

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Seagate 8TB drives arrived. Let's see how well they work. Light workload. Basically write big data once, read big data maybe 3 times.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I've got a weird issue with a synology ds15something that I was hoping someone here could help with. It can be seen properly and all the shares can be mounted on any of a bunch of Mac devices, but I've tried 2 different windows machines (running 8 and 10) and while I'm able to see it listed in other devices when I'm viewing the network in Explorer, it doesn't show up as a computer and I can't mount any drives. Clicking on it just brings me to the Web UI, which I have admin credentials on.

It is set to share on Windows file service. I have a ds415+ at home that as far as I can tell is set up identically with no problems. The only thing I can think of is that it's still on dsm4.3 because the business owner is paranoid of updating, but I don't really see that suddenly letting it share properly with a Windows computer. I can try to add a network locations of \\nas\foldername, and it tells me that no such location exists.

Edit: Ignore this, it's working fine today. :iiam:

Booley fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 24, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is from this year: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 31.68% failure rate
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB 26.65% failure rate

Those are by far the worst.

Just get HGST!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Those were shucked drives right?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

One of the four three-gig Barracudas I just got failed its WinDLG extended test. :shrug: That's what RMAs are for.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

This is from this year: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 31.68% failure rate
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB 26.65% failure rate

Those are by far the worst.

Just get HGST!
It's worth mentioning that the 24/7 enterprise workload Backblaze uses those disks for are probably not what most companies would've recommended you use them for. That said, it still gives a pretty good indication of where to put your money if you like drives that aren't as likely to fail.
What I find most interesting about the data is the trends they present lower down, particularily how certain HGST drives get slightly higher failure rates as time passes, whereas others get slightly lower failure rates. Of course, it's probably not very easy to tell exactly the cause of this, as there are a lot of variables.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Those were shucked drives right?

At this point they shouldn't be but I don't know.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's worth mentioning that the 24/7 enterprise workload Backblaze uses those disks for are probably not what most companies would've recommended you use them for.
Then again, since Seagate still parks the heads on platter, making their drives spin up and down isn't exactly advantageous for longevity.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

redeyes posted:

At this point they shouldn't be but I don't know.
Look carefully at their data. The 7200.14's (ST3000DM001) are specifically discussed in another of their articles. They are, indeed, the post-typhoon drives, some of which shucked, some of which weren't. Either way, they turned out to be terrible at lasting longer than about 2 years. Not sure what the deal is with the 7200.11's, but you can see that the Seagate Desktop HDD.15's are only 1-2% off the HGST drives, despite being quite a bit cheaper (though with a 2 yr vs 3yr warranty). Also fun to notice is that WD Red 3TB drives clock in at nearly 13%, and Red 6TB's at almost 8%--higher than almost everything else except the 7200's.

My point mostly is that Seagate put out some really, really lovely drives, but most of their other ones aren't terribly worse than HGST, and a lot of them actually show as better than Western Digital, if you're just using BackBlaze's numbers. And that's despite the Seagate drives being "plain old desktop" drives vs NAS-specific drives.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 27, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Combat Pretzel posted:

Then again, since Seagate still parks the heads on platter, making their drives spin up and down isn't exactly advantageous for longevity.

Citation needed. Pretty sure they have load/unload ramps like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Everyone's 3TB multiple drives are worth avoiding is what I'd summarize statistics as. It's why it's taken me so long to upgrade my 8x2TB array from years ago. If the flooding had never happened drives should have had a much better cost efficiency than they are now and instead of $80 4TB like they should have hit by now, they're in roughly the $125 neighborhood. The whole "NAS-optimized" industry trend didn't help keep prices down either. It's exasperating trying to be cost effective about these things but it sure beats trying to put 12 TB of random crap in a cloud storage provider's pay-as-you-go storage plans. I'm not paying the cost of my array itself per month to have someone else take care of it and be limited by my crappy home internet bandwidth.