Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
As far as I can tell Arista is 100% like Cisco in every way. I didn't even realize I was on an Arista Switch until I noticed the common command outputs were subtly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugbee
Mar 1, 2004
hi c-fut
Reposting this from the home networking thread in case Cisco has a product that can do this:

I have a lot of embedded devices (similar to Raspberry Pis) that come out of the factory with a fixed IP 192.168.1.1. I want to bulk configure them through scripting and plugging them into a 24 port switch instead of configuring them one by one because I have 100s of them.

Is it possible for switches or other multi-port network equipment to do something like this?
- Configure the switch to subnet 1 (ex 192.168.10.X)
- Have my PC plugged into a fixed IP port 1 (ex 192.168.10.1)
- Have the Pis plugged into fixed IP ports 2-24 (ex 192.168.10.2-24)
- Somehow configure the switch to allow subnet 1 IPs (192.168.10.2-24) to reach the fixed IP 192.168.1.1 device that is connected to the port??

Or is there any other way to achieve "bulk configuring multiple devices with the same fixed IP"?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

blugbee posted:

Reposting this from the home networking thread in case Cisco has a product that can do this:

I have a lot of embedded devices (similar to Raspberry Pis) that come out of the factory with a fixed IP 192.168.1.1. I want to bulk configure them through scripting and plugging them into a 24 port switch instead of configuring them one by one because I have 100s of them.

Is it possible for switches or other multi-port network equipment to do something like this?
- Configure the switch to subnet 1 (ex 192.168.10.X)
- Have my PC plugged into a fixed IP port 1 (ex 192.168.10.1)
- Have the Pis plugged into fixed IP ports 2-24 (ex 192.168.10.2-24)
- Somehow configure the switch to allow subnet 1 IPs (192.168.10.2-24) to reach the fixed IP 192.168.1.1 device that is connected to the port??

Or is there any other way to achieve "bulk configuring multiple devices with the same fixed IP"?
Configure 24 virtual routers, each with 1 interface on a common vlan and subnet, natting traffic to 24 individual vlans.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powercrazy posted:

As far as I can tell Arista is 100% like Cisco in every way. I didn't even realize I was on an Arista Switch until I noticed the common command outputs were subtly different.

I seem to recall Cisco sued them for a bunch of things including the fact that something like half the commands in EOS were identical to IOS. No recent news about an outcome though.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

BurgerQuest posted:

I seem to recall Cisco sued them for a bunch of things including the fact that something like half the commands in EOS were identical to IOS. No recent news about an outcome though.

It's not going in Cisco's favor thus far:
http://www.crn.com/news/networking/300077471/cisco-lawsuit-against-arista-hits-setback-after-federal-judge-dismisses-two-claims.htm

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Powercrazy posted:

That kinda sucks, once you get used to committing changes you never want to go back. I work with primarily Juniper but there's a few scattered in BrokeAIDS that are similarly ios cloned and it's painful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a page that explains the old 'replace running-config with old-config' after 10 minutes in case I accidentally lock myself out of a router?

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a page that explains the old 'replace running-config with old-config' after 10 minutes in case I accidentally lock myself out of a router?
Assuming were talking IOS:
reload in 10

falz
Jan 29, 2005

The evolution of `reload in X` is `config terminal revert timer X`.

Requires config archiving enabled which has been available for quite a while.

(They're both still lovely compared to Junos `config confirmed X`)

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah reload in is great when you forget to reload cancel.

But if you saved then... it's not all that bad.

Depends what you are doing, I guess. We are running rancid so the big city boys don't do archiving or cfg management through other tools, which, in this day and age is a bit dumb. There are better ways to manage config changes across the network than expect and perl. The configuration archiver could be a real lifesaver over hosing around with RANCID if you're doing it to local flash or USB, but if you've a failure it won't help there obviously.

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

Centralized config management is really necessary when you scale up enough. Rancid has the benefit of working fairly well, having a decent community and it's cost is attractive.

Once you have a solid central solution, there's little issue with not having local backups/archives. Also, I've seen really annoying bugs related to the IOS archive features (or maybe that's just because 7600s) and you have things like consistent writes potentially degrading flash.

edit: On the other hand, I really like JunOS configuration management, commit/rollback etc., so there's that. The IOS XR implementation didn't prove to match up, sadly, but it's at least better than IOS in a lot of areas.

rattrap fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 12, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Partycat posted:

There are better ways to manage config changes across the network than expect and perl. The configuration archiver could be a real lifesaver over hosing around with RANCID if you're doing it to local flash or USB, but if you've a failure it won't help there obviously.
Honestly, RANCID is widely used simply because it is a fabulous tool. I'm not sure what feature you are looking for in config management that you can't get with RANCID, but I can think of at least one reason that relying on config management on the device is dumb, you can't recover your config if the device dies.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Dissing it because it uses expect scripts seems quite silly. Yes expect scripts are touchy and a bit of a mess, but you really don't have to touch any of that stuff unless your device has some type of bug. In no way should you rely on on-device backups, that's borderline useless. RANCID + hourly diffs (ymmv) + a web CVS/SVN/whatever browser ftw.

It's fairly trivial to push configs using it with a little wrapper script.

code:
#!/bin/sh
for DEVICE in `cat /tmp/hostnames.txt`
do
    echo "Working on $DEVICE"..
    /usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin -x /tmp/config.txt $DEVICE
done
The only gotcha is if you push a MOTD banner or a 'copy tftp: flash:' that returns with something other than the standard prompt, but there's ways around that too.

Someone installed/purchased Solarwinds NCM at our org and I find it useless- things that it seems like it should do (report devices with serial numbers across platforms) simply don't work, just grepping in your rancid dir is easier for a quick method. Also a lot of NMS's have built in scripts for rancid- Obserivum for example just has an included script that spits out a RANCID config based on what you have in it and you just never have to do anything at all.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I have a Cisco ASA 5505. I just replaced the network card in my office's server. The server is the DNS and DHCP server. I think the new network card broke the DHCP somehow, because everything was working fine last night when I left, but this morning nothing will connect aside from the server. Additionally, computers can connect via VPN without a problem, and if I manually configure the connection on a client computer, it works fine, which is what makes me think it's DHCP. Is there someplace in the ASA configuration where it would be pointing to the DHCP server via MAC address instead of IP? Or am I on an entirely wrong track, here?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you sure the Windows (I assume) DHCP server is bound to the new adapter?

You might also be performing DHCP snooping, so look at that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you sure the Windows (I assume) DHCP server is bound to the new adapter?

You might also be performing DHCP snooping, so look at that.

Windows server 2010, yeah, sorry, should have mentioned that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Windows server 2010

This doesn't exist :confused:

2012?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Windows Server 2008 R2, Jesus I'm retarded this morning.

It looks like the bindings thing is probably the issue; currently blank (in spite of the fact that it's set up with a static IP), and I'm Googling how to fix it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Removed a device that had the same IP (it was disabled, but still), and restarted the server, and everything appears to be working now, IP is showing up in the bindings and everything. Not sure if it was the IP, the restart, or both. Thanks for the help, though!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanatosian posted:

Removed a device that had the same IP (it was disabled, but still), and restarted the server, and everything appears to be working now, IP is showing up in the bindings and everything. Not sure if it was the IP, the restart, or both. Thanks for the help, though!

I would assume with the binding on the old nic, it wouldn't bind with the new one.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Docjowles posted:

This doesn't exist :confused:

2012?

Actually I think there is a multi-point server 2010, also 2011 and 2012 :lol:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

I would assume with the binding on the old nic, it wouldn't bind with the new one.
Yeah, in retrospect, it was real dumb to leave it like that "just in case" the new card wasn't working, because "there's no way it would care with the old card disabled."

And in my defense, it did work fine until the DHCP leases started expiring.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Can I ask a packet tracer question here? I'm trying to do inter-vlan routing using an L3 Switch but I cant find anything that explains how to set routes between vlans. If that isn't possible then I guess I am misunderstanding the task, and even the basic concepts.

e: Is there a way to minimise the code for sh run in the forum post so that i dont post several screens worth of information?

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 16, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Conf t, IP routing?

Also on the switch you are routing on, does each vlan have an IP address assigned?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Yeah its just go onto your two L3 switches and type:

en
conf t
ip routing (enables layer 3 routing on a switch)
interface vlan 10 (where you'd type "vlan 20", etc you are configuring a L2 thing. When you type "interface vlan 20", you're configuring a logical layer 3 interface. For routing to work it has to know the subnets of each vlan which is what you define below)
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
int vlan 20
ip address 2.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
etc...

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 16, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You will also need to add a default route pointing at your router IP/virtual IP if you're running HSRP or whatever. And update your DHCP pools to use this address for the gateway.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

TheMostFrench posted:

Can I ask a packet tracer question here? I'm trying to do inter-vlan routing using an L3 Switch but I cant find anything that explains how to set routes between vlans. If that isn't possible then I guess I am misunderstanding the task, and even the basic concepts.

e: Is there a way to minimise the code for sh run in the forum post so that i dont post several screens worth of information?

It's pretty easy, you just tell your routing protocol all of the vlan subnets that each device has access to.

My pkt file has quite a bit going on so just pay attention to the left most wing of clients and the HQ FLOOR1 mlsw. Each of the numbers beside a computer represents a vlan being serviced there. In my case I am using a default gateway of 10.192.x.254.

quote:

en
vlan database
vlan 101 name rnd 10.192.0.0 /21
vlan 102 name networkmanagement 10.192.8.0 /21
vlan 103 name executiveoffices 10.192.16.0 /22
vlan 104 name publicwireless 10.192.20.0 /23
vlan 105 name privatewireless 10.192.22.0 /24
vlan 106 name engineering 10.192.23.0 /24
vlan 107 name voice 10.192.24.0 /24
vlan 108 name specialprojects1 10.192.25.0 /24
vlan 109 name specialprojects2 10.192.26.0 /24
vlan 110 name specialprojects3 10.192.27.0 /24
vlan 111 name lab1 10.192.28.0 /24
vlan 112 name lab2 10.192.29.0 /24
vlan 113 name lab3 10.192.30.0 /24
vlan 114 name lab4 10.192.31.0 /24
vlan 115 name serverfarm 10.192.32.0 /24
vlan 116 name salesandmarketing 10.192.33.0 /25
vlan 117 name finance 10.192.33.128 /25
vlan 118 name designanddrafting 10.192.34.0 /26
vlan 119 name corporatecommunication 10.192.34.64 /26
vlan 120 name healthandhumanresources 10.192.34.128 /26
vlan 121 name shippingandreceiving 10.192.34.192 /26
vlan 122 name informationtechnologyservices 19.192.35.0 /26
exit

For floor1-sw1 I have the access ports set as

interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport access vlan 106
switchport voice vlan 107
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree guard root

And I have the floor1-mlsw default gateway's config resembling this long pastebin. Don't worry about the standby IPs, just know that the default gateway for every vlan in the left most pod terminates to floor1-mlsw You can see that eigrp has a network statement for all the vlans that this l3 switch is serving PLUS the physical interfaces that lead deeper into the network and I have enabled routing for the switch. The helper addresses just forward DHCP requests off to my DHCP server that is in a different subnet, because remember: broadcasts do not leave your local l2 lan. It is important to note that because f0/24 is handling all traffic for multiple vlans you MUST set it to be a trunk port.

http://pastebin.com/8VWq4cp3

router eigrp 1
network 10.192.255.0 0.0.0.3
network 10.192.255.24 0.0.0.3
network 10.192.23.0 0.0.0.255
network 10.192.0.0 0.0.7.255
network 10.192.25.0 0.0.0.255
network 10.192.26.0 0.0.0.255
network 10.192.27.0 0.0.0.255
network 10.192.28.0 0.0.0.255
network 10.192.29.0 0.0.0.255
network 10.192.30.0 0.0.0.255
network 10.192.31.0 0.0.0.255
no auto-summary

If you need more explanation just ask.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
without giving a whole lesson on poo poo, I hope I can encourage you by saying the hardest step in network is moving from loving newbie that knows jack poo poo to just being a newbie. Once you get over that hump, it's just plain old incremental learning. Good luck.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Thanks for the explanations. I forgot ip routing even though i was 'so sure' i put it on :shrug:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

without giving a whole lesson on poo poo, I hope I can encourage you by saying the hardest step in network is moving from loving newbie that knows jack poo poo to just being a newbie. Once you get over that hump, it's just plain old incremental learning. Good luck.

This is one of the most useful things I've ever read on this forum. Trying to become one of my big MSP's Cisco guys and CCNA is tough :unsmith:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
The more I learn about networking, the more I realize that I know nothing about it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

psydude posted:

The more I learn about networking, the more I realize that I know nothing about it.

This. Networking is an endless pit of learning, just have to keep digging.

Throwing out a plug for Network Warrior. Great read.

http://www.amazon.com/Network-Warrior-Gary-A-Donahue/dp/1449387861

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Seconding Network Warrior. Even for an experienced network administrator it's a good read.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

psydude posted:

Truth.

Though I just shifted my career to IT security and the same still applies so maybe it's universal. Who knows.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I feel like past a certain point in your career ninety percent of success is based on how well you can lie.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Martytoof posted:

Truth.

Though I just shifted my career to IT security and the same still applies so maybe it's universal. Who knows.

Four stages of competence

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They forgot the "delusional competence" which is usually the third step, where people have learned a little and think they know it all.

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

They forgot the "delusional competence" which is usually the third step, where people have learned a little and think they know it all.

Sometimes, this stage lasts forever.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

If we're going to talk about competence, it'd be a shame to miss this:

http://www.daedtech.com/how-developers-stop-learning-rise-of-the-expert-beginner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Where the hell does one get IOS software for 6800IA switches? Is it included in the 6880 images?