Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jsor posted:

Doctor Who Series 9: Any story can be told in one episode

Doctor Who Series 9: Any thread can be told in one post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Doctor Who Series 9: That's No Moon

Doctor Who Series 9: The Michelle Gomez Appreciation Station

Doctor Who Series 9: The Doctor Who Thread, Part 1

Doctor Who Series 9: Letting Zygons Be Zygons

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Doctor Who Series 9: Audio Dramas with moving pictures!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who series 9 (35): What Took You So Long, Old Show?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Doctor Who: Your mentally ill kids don't need medication.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Ugh. I still can't believe that was allowed to air...

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I'm surprised the baddie in that episode wasn't Xenu.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

The_Doctor posted:

Having finally caught up with everything that episode was really the only one last season that really pissed me off. Even the Moon one didn't bother me very much. Christ.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To be fair; that episode on the whole wasn't terrible. But I'm just completely baffled that the BBC allowed a family program to air an incredibly damaging message like "nope, mental illnesses don't need treatment, it just means you're a special snowflake and shouldn't take your meds".

I'm shocked and thankful that nothing really seemed to come of it

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

To be fair; that episode on the whole wasn't terrible.

The most positive review I've seen!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Well...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34266847

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope they don't piss away her character this season. Especially after forcing that dumb final twist to keep her on.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

After The War posted:

The most positive review I've seen!

You've not seen my posts?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BSam posted:

You've not seen my posts?

Playing the percentages, it's generally pretty disliked all round. But Corollary to the First Rule* and all that.

*First Rule of Doctor Who Fandom: No fans will ever be able to substantively agree on an episode [Doctor/companion/whatever]'s qualities or lack thereof.
Corollary: Therefore. every opinion, no matter how incomprehensible you may find it, is held by someone.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's worth pointing out that that article has more hedging in it than Hampton Court Palace. "It is expected...", "it is thought..." I'll believe it when she or the BBC issues a statement, and not a moment before.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair, she's already "left" the show twice, only to realize at the last minute,"Wait a minute I love this show and Peter Capaldi loving owns."

If this is her last season, it won't feel like it is too soon, but on the other hand I thought her character was so much better in season 8 than season 7 that I wouldn't mind at all seeing her stick around longer.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, she's already "left" the show twice, only to realize at the last minute,"Wait a minute I love this show and Peter Capaldi loving owns."

If this is her last season, it won't feel like it is too soon, but on the other hand I thought her character was so much better in season 8 than season 7 that I wouldn't mind at all seeing her stick around longer.

If she's as good this season as she was last season I'll be fine with her leaving. Just last season was enough to tie her for the best revival companion, in my mind, so this season would be enough to clinch that.

I'll definitely be disappointed to see her leave, but new companions and new Doctors are one of the best things about the show. It wouldn't be Doctor Who if a single person who was on the show three years ago was still around. I'd really like to see Capaldi with a different companion, too.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Looking forward to rumours of a series of 10/Rose specials in 2016 any time now.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
nah they'll do a tv adaptation of dark eyes just to really confuse everyone

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Our theater is doing the 3D showing four nights in a row, so we're probably going on Thursday for my wife's birthday. Should be fun.

IceAgeComing posted:

nah they'll do a tv adaptation of dark eyes just to really confuse everyone

If that means more Paul McGann on my television, I am in.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I'm shocked and thankful that nothing really seemed to come of it

Why would you be shocked that nothing seemed to come of it? Sure, if we found out that some mentally ill people were legitimately being communicated to by some otherworldly force the kvetching would've had some basis, but the context in the episode blew away anyone's attempts to convince anyone that the molehill was anything but a molehill.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
also why does america get the 3d showing of last years finale while we don't; i think its incredibly unfair and will be sending an angry letter to the bbc tomorrow in which I shout a lot about "licence fee payers money!!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Captain Jack Harkness has always had his suspicions about the Committee. And now Wilson is also talking about the Committee. Apparently the world really is under the control of alien lizards. That’s what Wilson says.
People have died, disasters have been staged, the suspicious have disappeared.

It’s outrageous. 

Only Jack knows that Wilson is right. The Committee has arrived.

John Barrowman is Captain Jack Harkness in Torchwood: The Conspiracy.

X X X X X

Cast
John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness)
John Sessions (Wilson)
Sarah Ovens (Kate)
Dan Bottomley (Sam)

Written By: David Llewellyn
Directed By: Scott Handcock
Produced by: James Goss
Script edited by: Steve Tribe

Trailer - https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/the-conspiracy-1294

X X X X X

In 2006, Russell T Davies expanded the Doctor Who universe with the creation and production of a new show called Torchwood, focusing on the efforts of Captain Jack Harkness and his team of agents known as the Torchwood Institute to defend Earth against threats all alien and supernatural. Over the course of four series, the show focused on more adult themes such as existentialism, homosexual and bisexual relationships, and the exploration of human corruptibility.

Attempting to explore more adult themes was a double edged sword. On one hand, the initial run of episodes focused on being more “shocking” instead of “profound,” leading to things such as a Torchwood member using an extraterrestrial device to "convince" a girl and her boyfriend to sleep with him in what's actually mind rape, poisoning the character throughout the entire series, an alien gas that killed people via extreme orgasm, and...well, this.

On the other hand, the show would find its way throughout the second season and beyond, tackling topics such as life after resurrection, how much people would give up for the greater good, and the possibility of redemption...which isn't always possible, no matter how great the sacrifice. In 2011, Russell T Davies announced that, for personal reasons, the show was on “indefinite hiatus.”

Those two words never stopped Big Finish.

Torchwood is a six-episode audio series that focuses on both current and past members of the Torchwood institute. The first episode, The Conspiracy, follows Jack Harkness as he investigates a well-known conspiracy buff who's theories are steeped too much in the truth. A small cast and a quick run-time make The Conspiracy enjoyable and worth a listen, despite Jack's willingness to hold the proverbial Idiot Ball.

George Wilson was once a respected television journalist. Then, he had an on-air breakdown where he denounced the constant stream of war, poverty, misery, and light entertainment that he was forced to discuss night in and night out. But it wasn't just frustration with the world that drove Wilson to speak the truth – it was the fact that, behind the scenes, in the seats of government, embedded with the media, and sitting on the boards of multinational corporations are the true rulers of the world – an alien race who call themselves “The Committee” whose diabolical master plan is to wipe out humanity to obtain the moon's vast supply of helium-3. This would be one of the most outlandish conspiracy theories Jack Harkness has ever heard...if it wasn't so close to the truth.

David Llwewllyn has written numerous short stories and novels for both Torchwood and Doctor Who, as well as several Big Finish audios for various ranges including Bernice Summerfield, Gallifrey and Dark Shadows. He was a very solid choice to pen this first audio for the new Torchwood range, turning in a script that mixes both dialogue and first-person narration (Harkness fills in a lot of the narrative gaps and scene transitions in first-person format, almost like he was telling the story to a confidant over a beer in some seedy Singapore dive). It's very rare that the story slows down. There's always something happening to push the narrative forward, with a nice toss-in about the Weevils (an alien menace who made numerous appearances in the television series) to underline that there's always a threat somewhere and it doesn't always wait for another threat to get wrapped up. While the action keeps moving, it does lead to a big revelation at the end that comes off as just a TAD rushed and with JUST enough information to serve as both exposition and a bit of information overload. The very end of the story also comes off as a bit abrupt, especially for listeners who might not realize that this series of Torchwood contains a long-term story arc. But it makes sense, as this series mixes both team members who were still around after Torchwood: Miracle Day and those who are no longer serving with Torchwood.

This isn't the first time Torchwood had been presented in an audio format, as BBC's Radio 4 aired seven stories from 2008 through 2011. So it's no surprise that John Barrowman slides very easily back into the role of Captain Jack Harkness. While Barrowman is now affiliated with the DC television universe, he's stated time and time again (including on the behind-the-scenes segment on The Conspiracy, where one can just hear his eagerness and joy) how much Captain Jack means to him. Harkness has all of the qualities one saw during his time on television – his bravery, his charm, his covert side, and just a hint of the smugness that afflicts the agents of the Torchwood Institute, aka the best known secret agency on the planet (seriously, it seems like everyone in Cardiff knows the existence of the super-hot guy in the Royal Navy coat running around in a black SUV). Barrowman's cadence and delivery seems JUST a little off, but that could be chalked up to the fact that Barrowman delivered his lines from Palm Springs to Big Finish via Skype. The only downside to Barrowman's performance is how the character sometimes just flat out does stupid things, arriving on scenes by himself, without backup or scouting, only to have someone get shot or even killed. It can be attributed to the fact that Jack Harkness is the only Torchwood member in the story, but one would think an experienced covert operative would be a little more cautious than responding to someone saying “Meet me at the hotel” than running up the stairs and down the hall with his gun out and kicking the door open like gangbusters.

The supporting cast does a solid job, mainly John Sessions (noted British impressionist also known for his performance as the malevolent computer Gus from Mummy on the Orient Express) as George Wilson. He brings a level of cultured believability to the part, making Wilson come off not as a nut case, but someone who might, just might, come off as quite possibly knowing what's going on behind the veil. Wilson isn't a raving nutcase, but a man who truly believes what he believes in, and it adds a level of realism to the story, and Sessions sparkles a few moments of dry and wary humor throughout his performance. Sarah Ovens is fine as Kate, Wilson's daughter and handler, who guides her father through his day-to-day activities, and Dan Bottomley has a small part as Sam, fellow conspiracy buff and blogger for THE EYE OF PROVIDENCE, who carries the dedicated and zealous side of things.

Torchwood: The Conspiracy does what it sets out to do – bring the show back for a new audience discovering the show for a first time or for long-time fans eager for new adventures. It serves to set up the long-term arc over the six-episode series while showcasing some fine performances. The next episode appears to be a flashback episode involving a departed character, but the ending scene for this story establishing one important thing. Captain Jack will return...

Pros
+ Fine performances from all involved
+ A story that moves quickly and keeps the action going

Cons
- Jack Harkness does some very dumb things for a secret agent
- Last minute exposition dump

Cobi's SynopsisTorchwood is back with The Conspiracy, a story focusing on Captain Jack Harkness and a conspiracy theorist whose absurd claims are uncomfortably close to the truth.

Next up - Ianto Jones thought the flight would be sabotaged. The only problem is...he's on board...

Gareth David-Lloyd is Ianto Jones in Torchwood: Fall To Earth.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 17, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

such as a Torchwood member using an extraterrestrial device to convince a girl and her boyfriend to sleep with him

I'm a broken record on this, but once again I want to stress it wasn't anything so pleasant as "convincing" anybody - he artificially overrides their objections while openly dismissing the notion of having to "put up with" the fact the lady isn't interested in him, or that the man is upset at him drugging and hauling her away, reducing them to sex toys for his pleasure (and his alone). It's flat-out rape, and shouldn't be qualified in any way as anything other than that. It remains to this day one of the most baffling and frustrating creative choices the show ever made, poisoning the character beyond all hope from the very first episode.

In relation to the audio itself, the fact Barrowman's performance was done over skype is a little troubling (though probably unavoidable), as I can't imagine they'll have gotten the best possible quality from such a set-up.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm a broken record on this, but once again I want to stress it wasn't anything so pleasant as "convincing" anybody - he artificially overrides their objections while openly dismissing the notion of having to "put up with" the fact the lady isn't interested in him, or that the man is upset at him drugging and hauling her away, reducing them to sex toys for his pleasure (and his alone). It's flat-out rape, and shouldn't be qualified in any way as anything other than that. It remains to this day one of the most baffling and frustrating creative choices the show ever made, poisoning the character beyond all hope from the very first episode.

You're absolutely right - Owen's entire story arc all the way through the rest of the season and the second season is very interesting and the actor does a good job, but it's still poisoned by this action and the fact he's never called out it and simply decides to stop using the device at the end of the episode. Went ahead and changed the quote a bit to reflect this because it should be mentioned.

quote:

In relation to the audio itself, the fact Barrowman's performance was done over skype is a little troubling (though probably unavoidable), as I can't imagine they'll have gotten the best possible quality from such a set-up.

The sound quality is fine in that it sounded like he could have been in the studio with the other actors. It's just...a bit off somehow, I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe Barrowman's American accent vs. Sessions' incredibly English one threw me.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 17, 2015

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CobiWann posted:

You're absolutely right - Owen's entire story arc all the way through the rest of the season and the second season is very interesting and the actor does a good job, but it's still poisoned by this action and the fact he's never called out it and simply decides to stop using the device at the end of the episode. Went ahead and changed the quote a bit to reflect this because it should be mentioned.

It's clear from the way it's presented that RTD and the other writers didn't intend for Owen to be a rapist. Which is an incredibly damning thing--presenting obvious rape as a bit of fun is definitely the worst thing the revival and friends has ever done. But Owen's arc, then, isn't intended to be a rapist becoming a good person.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So the 4th Torchwood audio sounds, uh, interesting.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

So the 4th Torchwood audio sounds, uh, interesting.

On one hand, she is an interesting character and I'm up for diving back into the history of Torchwood a little bit.

On the other hand, Joseph Lidster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rochallor posted:

It's clear from the way it's presented that RTD and the other writers didn't intend for Owen to be a rapist. Which is an incredibly damning thing--presenting obvious rape as a bit of fun is definitely the worst thing the revival and friends has ever done. But Owen's arc, then, isn't intended to be a rapist becoming a good person.

Yeah, it's a barely-lighter version of Jamie in Game of Thrones. The production teams clearly didn't make either scene intending either character to be a nigh-irredeemable rapist, but the end product is pretty hard to read any other way and it's a little baffling how they got there and didn't realise, but you sort of have to pretend it didn't happen if you want the rest of the character's arc to make any sense.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

On one hand, she is an interesting character and I'm up for diving back into the history of Torchwood a little bit.

On the other hand, Joseph Lidster.

It does seem like there's something appropriate with Lidster writing Torchwood, though, given how often it went the "this is DARK and GRIM and ADULT" route.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Ian Briggs writes Glitz in Dragonfire as less "loquacious lead villain" and more "Space Nathan Barley"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742425

• Locked thread