Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thanks for all the replies! My planned room has some oddities but should work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Thanks for all the replies! My planned room has some oddities but should work out.

If it's oddly shaped that's not necessarily a bad thing :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Panty Saluter posted:

If it's oddly shaped that's not necessarily a bad thing :v:

That's not what she said :(

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The biggest trouble with awkward rooms is figuring out the correct audio refractor/clarification crystal locations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ColdPie posted:

The biggest trouble with awkward rooms is figuring out the correct audio refractor/clarification crystal locations.

No it's not. The crystals go in the corners regardless of shape or room configuration.

Edit: I know you guys make fun of this poo poo but my very pedestrian hi fi sound 1000% better since I I added crystals to the setup. Not even joking.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 14, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Meth?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pepsi. Even better.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Let's be real, chemical music enhancements are always the best bang for the buck, even if the effects are temporary.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BigFactory posted:

No it's not. The crystals go in the corners regardless of shape or room configuration.

Edit: I know you guys make fun of this poo poo but my very pedestrian hi fi sound 1000% better since I I added crystals to the setup. Not even joking.
Make sure you get a Feng Shui consultant to place those crystals. (It won't jump exactly to the spot, but the Feng Shui evisceration by David Mitchell happens around 10:28).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

Let's be real, chemical music enhancements are always the best bang for the buck, even if the effects are temporary.

Everyone knows cannabis psychosis is permanent though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Sure, that works for your mid-range setup, but when you're ready to take the next step and eliminate the corners in your room, then where do the crystals go? This is what I mean about awkward rooms; perfectly spherical rooms are hard to deal with but it's so worth the improved listening experience.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ColdPie posted:

Sure, that works for your mid-range setup, but when you're ready to take the next step and eliminate the corners in your room, then where do the crystals go?

Need to see the rig Obama is rocking in the Oval Office.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Sure, that works for your mid-range setup, but when you're ready to take the next step and eliminate the corners in your room, then where do the crystals go?

Did you know forty percent of the most musical sound waves travel upwards through the digestive tract?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ColdPie posted:

Sure, that works for your mid-range setup, but when you're ready to take the next step and eliminate the corners in your room, then where do the crystals go? This is what I mean about awkward rooms; perfectly spherical rooms are hard to deal with but it's so worth the improved listening experience.

Not to mention helping with Tindalos-related problems.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Buy cheap-rear end poo poo cables they won't crack in your lifetime.

e: Actually maybe they've just never sold really poo poo cables in non-Warsaw Pact Europe?
There's an A/V webshop in my country that sells cheapo cables that are wired with "CCA", Copper Clad Aluminium. Isn't that a bit too low-budget? The OFC (Oxygen-free copper) cables don't cost that much more.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It'll work just fine, so long as the resistance is sufficiently low, ie. as long as the cable has a large enough cross section.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Pilsner posted:

There's an A/V webshop in my country that sells cheapo cables that are wired with "CCA", Copper Clad Aluminium. Isn't that a bit too low-budget? The OFC (Oxygen-free copper) cables don't cost that much more.

Cca is fine. Just bump up your gauge one notch over the recommendation for full copper.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGSALY

I wonder how much extra headroom and dynamics the analogue crypto has over digital?

e: To be clear, because the Wiki article doesn't actually state this, the first iteration of SIGSALY (Green Hornet) was the one that used the records - PCM was added into the system because of the impossibility of keeping the records synchronised over the length of the conversation, they continued to use the records that they'd already etched for Green Hornet as their noise mask
As I was typing that post I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I might be remembering something from Cryptonomicon rather than an actual scrambler, turns out it was real and in the book.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here, have another ultra-floral tube amp review:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/line-magnetic-audio-lm-518ia-integrated-amplifier

quote:

I have used and abused this 77-lb machine for more than a year and, more than any other amp I have reviewed, it seems indestructible.

Just how fragile does this guy think electronics are? Or are audiophile overpriced amps so shittily made that one of them lasting a full year is an accomplishment?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Tube amps can be pretty finicky. That's part of why most people abandoned them :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's official, vinyl is too mainstream http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9409563/reel-to-reel-tape-retro-audio-trend

quote:

The Phase 12 reveals extremely minute details, the kind of things that only the recording engineers heard on the original master tape," says Greg Beron. In some instances, there’s actually too much detail during playback: "When I was listening to Led Zeppelin III last night, I could hear the pedal squeak every time John Bonnam hit the bass drum."

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Well at least we can start fetishizing a good audio format.

e: Cue thousands of clueless newbie audiophiles yammering on about how AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING their 1/4" 1 and 7/8 IPS reel to reel sounds

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's just a shame that magnetic tape is kinda fragile and extremely unhandy. But perhaps that just adds to the hipster cred.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I bake my reel-to-reels in the oven and they sound so much warmer

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

It's just a shame that magnetic tape is kinda fragile and extremely unhandy. But perhaps that just adds to the hipster cred.

I wonder if I could sell LTO cartridges and a modified drive at a huge markup to Audiophiles looking for a better way to store all those R2R tapes...

BRB, filing a patent.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

I wonder if I could sell LTO cartridges and a modified drive at a huge markup to Audiophiles looking for a better way to store all those R2R tapes...

BRB, filing a patent.

You can sell anything to audiophiles, full stop.

Your main problem is you need to license some major artists if you're going to sell a new recording format to them, most are at least smart enough to know that it doesn't "count" as better if it's just a copy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bang & Olufsen basically just went "gently caress all y'all, we were owning this poo poo this since before you were born", grabbed their collective crotches and dropped the loving mike.

They just unveiled their 90th anniversary loudspeaker, and I'm not sure whether it's a completely insane or utterly brilliant move from a company that's been on the edge of bankruptcy for the better part of a decade.

quote:

BeoLab 90 – Vision of sound

It will not be for everybody, but it will be for the right somebody. BeoLab 90 is our proudest loudspeaker to date, built for optimum precision in sound. It will blow the roof off your house and knock the socks off your guests.

Changing the future of sound

Imagine a loudspeaker so intelligently conceptualized, so exquisitely crafted, and so finely tuned that it can deliver the ultimate sound experience no matter what the circumstances. That is the new BeoLab 90 loudspeaker by Bang & Olufsen. It will change the future of sound.

The intelligent loudspeaker

BeoLab 90 contains a multitude of technologies. It´s a perfect mix of world-class design and acoustics in, what may well be, the most complete and powerful digital loudspeaker designed for use in your home. This highly intelligent loudspeaker provides you with clarity, range and a sound staging that is second-to-none. BeoLab 90 features an impressive 360-degree design, has a variety of settings, and regardless of its placement, the room or your listening position it will give you mind-blowing sound.

The speaker, not the room, defines the sound

Resonances in your room and boundary effects from your walls affect the sound you get from your loudspeakers. BeoLab 90 is fitted with Bang & Olufsen’s new Active Room Compensation technology making up for the impact of your room, your furniture, the placement of the loudspeakers and the location of the listening position. This advanced technology guarantees you a sensational sound experience exactly where you want it.

Control the width and the direction of the sound

Reflections from your room’s surfaces affect your listening experience by altering both the tonal balance and the precision of the placement of instruments and voices. With Beam Width Control you get the power to ensure that these reflections do not interfere with the experience when you sit in the sweet spot. Invite friends to join you, and you can widen the beam to ensure that everyone shares the same sound. The beam can even be expanded to provide a full 360º dispersion, if you are hosting a party.

BeoLab 90 delivers the sound where you want it. With loudspeaker drivers placed in various directions, you can use the Beam Direction Control to steer the sound radiation to your favourite listening location. These groundbreaking new Bang & Olufsen technologies will give you an experience you get nowhere else.

Technology made simple

Control the settings of your BeoLab 90 by using the Bang & Olufsen remote or by using the dedicated app on your phone. It is easy to control the beam width and direction. In addition, you can pre-program all of BeoLab 90’s features and save presets that best suit your preferences for different occasions. These presets can also be automatically selected by your Bang & Olufsen television, or triggered by devices connected to BeoLab 90´s many inputs.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/beolab-90-bang-olufsens-striking-90th-anniversary-speaker

If you look past the usual self-aggrandizing flim-flam, it's an omnidirectional (15 speaker units) and heavily DSP room-corrected speaker that promises to both fill a room evenly with great sound, basically nullifying the effects of room acoustics, or if you're just listening for your self, to put a well-defined sweet spot exactly where you want it. It sounds kinda nifty (and probably a bit over-marketed), and I'd love to hear them in person. The Beolab 5 is the best speaker I have ever heard, and if this is even better, well I don't know what to say. I didn't even think sound could get any better than that.

Oh, and a set costs $75,000.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 6, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Oh to be rich.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Indeed. It's one of those things where I'd be afraid to hit the Powerball because I could definitely blow a good chunk on A/V gear and cars. :haw:

It wouldn't be B&O though. While I'll concede that I haven't heard anything from their super hi-end lines most of what I've heard has been excruciatingly mediocre and gets by on flim-flamming people because it's "quirky". It's Bose for people who don't think Bose is overpriced nearly enough.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think if I was going to build a "gently caress you money" system I'd use those coffin-sized Tannoys but I'd need a lot of tufted furniture and a drinks globe to match it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

I think if I was going to build a "gently caress you money" system I'd use those coffin-sized Tannoys but I'd need a lot of tufted furniture and a drinks globe to match it.

Also, I think you'd have to feed it from a reel-to-reel deck for Maximum Realness™

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You can get nice reel to reels for under $500 and sometimes a lot cheaper than that, so it's hardly on the gently caress you money wish list. If I wasn't afraid of turning into a hoarder I'd buy one just to loving sit there and look cool next to my stereo.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's not a cost thing, it's an aesthetic :v:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

quote:

BeoLab 90 is fitted with Bang & Olufsen’s new Active Room Compensation technology

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh, and a set costs $75,000.

I think there's another type of compensation at work for their target customer.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
There's a Sony TC-580 in my area for $100 but it needs repair (FF and RW work but Play is broken). It's probably out of my skill range to repair. I've never had any success fixing regular tape decks.

I've wanted to dick around with R2R for a while but never enough to spend more than a couple hundred on it, tops.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
On the upside an R2R is probably easier to work in compared to a compact cassette deck thanks to component size.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

There's a Sony TC-580 in my area for $100 but it needs repair (FF and RW work but Play is broken). It's probably out of my skill range to repair. I've never had any success fixing regular tape decks.

I've wanted to dick around with R2R for a while but never enough to spend more than a couple hundred on it, tops.

I had a great line on a 4 channel Pioneer earlier in the year, it was like 200 bucks for the r2r, a quadrophonic receiver, probably some lovely speakers, maybe a tt, too. But my hoarder guilt kicked in. I think I made the right call. It was one of those where I was actually the first person to talk to the guy on craigslist and I called him back and told him to take the next person in line.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Panty Saluter posted:

Indeed. It's one of those things where I'd be afraid to hit the Powerball because I could definitely blow a good chunk on A/V gear and cars. :haw:

It wouldn't be B&O though. While I'll concede that I haven't heard anything from their super hi-end lines most of what I've heard has been excruciatingly mediocre and gets by on flim-flamming people because it's "quirky". It's Bose for people who don't think Bose is overpriced nearly enough.

If I had silly money I'd without doubt load up on some B&O mainly because they're the one company out there combining tech with beautiful looking designs. Yeah for about half the price I could get comparable sound but I'd have a room full of speaker boxes of various sizes, huge monoblock amplifiers, 'transport' and miles of cabling. I'd much rather have something that looks like a piece of art which has the capability to sound wonderful too...

...but then I'm a sucker for minimalist looking stuff.

They're the company you go to if you have lots of cash and you care about aesthetics. If you don't have lots of cash or you don't care about aesthetics then you've got plenty of other choice.

And before I get accused of rampant fanboyism they've made some awful products over the years and I've played with a lot of them but the general range is decent and the top end stuff really really nice, certainly a long way from the Bose comparison in terms of performance, build quality and design.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think B&O is still the only company to release a WiSA [non-sucky wireless surround] home theater system and those ICEPower amps are in a lot of high-end monoblocks and stereo amps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was going to mention the R&D and did in a previous version of the above post. They've produced some pretty fantastic bits of tech over the years.