Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I assume the on-location filming was just as reference material for the artists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I assume the on-location filming was just as reference material for the artists?

Yeah, but also lots of it straight traced, where they would film a scene in live action and then recreate it 1:1 with a drawn space.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

a lot of the super high budget kyoani stuff is rotoscoped i think. at least thats how they did the animation for live alive

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

Yeah, but also lots of it straight traced, where they would film a scene in live action and then recreate it 1:1 with a drawn space.

I mean whatever works. the way they transform space is incredible and whether you do it in a camera or at the drawing board they are absolute masters

even something simple like this

I keep staring at trying to figure out what makes it so compelling

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 17, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

To clarify, the stuff they showed was not actors, it was merely shots of empty spaces. They would go into rooms and shot at every conceivable angle over the course of a day to set their framing and lighting. It's why they are so bee talented at creating cozy spaces, because they seem to pay a lot of attention to details in their rooms

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Radio Spiricom posted:

a lot of the super high budget kyoani stuff is rotoscoped i think. at least thats how they did the animation for live alive

The whole thing? Or just the super detailed close up shots of Haruhi's face and such?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The whole thing? Or just the super detailed close up shots of Haruhi's face and such?

The finger movements on the guitar were almost certainly rotoscoped

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

To clarify, the stuff they showed was not actors, it was merely shots of empty spaces. They would go into rooms and shot at every conceivable angle over the course of a day to set their framing and lighting. It's why they are so bee talented at creating cozy spaces, because they seem to pay a lot of attention to details in their rooms

yeah the rooms are terrific, like the clubroom always feels fresh. I mean how can you keep a single room interesting for so long? but it's endlessly fascinating

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i believe the entire performance was motion captured and then traced over and redrawn in animation. i don't know about the character expressions like when they cut to haruhi in profile singing but pretty much every drum hit you see or the close up of yuki's guitar solo was taken from a real source performance

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

i believe the entire performance was motion captured and then traced over and redrawn in animation. i don't know about the character expressions like when they cut to haruhi in profile singing but pretty much every drum hit you see or the close up of yuki's guitar solo was taken from a real source performance

Did the performer play in the bunny costume

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and you know, knowing how they do it, I'm impressed that the spaces don't fall into a feeling of sterile realism. it's not like they're ever wanting for anime magic

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 17, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

I mean whatever works. the way they transform space is incredible and whether you do it in a camera or at the drawing board they are absolute masters

even something simple like this

I keep staring at trying to figure out what makes it so compelling

anyone can feel free to correct me but this specifically looks like it was shot with a wide angle lens and people blocking it out for perspective (although the perspective seems a little screwy) and then traced over

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Sigh 2 status report: Kyon's eyebrows are just out of control in this and the previous episode. They were not nearly so expressive in S1.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

anyone can feel free to correct me but this specifically looks like it was shot with a wide angle lens and people blocking it out for perspective (although the perspective seems a little screwy) and then traced over

yeah a lot of their wide shots definitely have varying degrees of barrel distortion and the cel parts don't always fit into them neatly. but you know, I kinda like that? this came up earlier in the thread too with a really wide angle shot of the clubroom and a desk that wasn't cooperating with the rest of the vibe.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and of course as good as the show looks it has nothing on Disappearance. like you said

Radio Spiricom posted:

i hope everyone is hype to watch the best movie of the 21st century so far

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Couldn't watch these three episodes with everyone else, so I'm putting down all my thoughts at once:

Sigh was really good. It got very intense in these last three parts, and left me with a lot to think about. It's certainly possible that Mikuru is putting on an act, or is otherwise not 100% forthright with what she knows, beyond what she openly admits is classified information. If I remember correctly, in the episode where she's introduced, she recognizes Nagato in the clubroom, and says something like "Yuki is already here", as if orienting herself in time. I don't remember if that got explained or not.

The scene where Kyon almost punches Haurhi was grim. Grim because of Koizumi and Haruhi for obvious reasons, but also because of what Kyon said, "anyone who doesn't listen needs a good beating before they'll learn." Kyon hasn't gotten violent at any other point in the show, so I wonder if it's foreshadowing something that'll happen in Disappearance. I also wonder what Koizumi was thinking when he stopped him. Was it to protect Haruhi? Or to protect Kyon?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Is there going to be a viewing of Haruhi-chan and :nyoron: too?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

everyone should watch those but there are too many simulwatches backed up lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

and of course as good as the show looks it has nothing on Disappearance. like you said

Didn't know we were watching rebuild 3 on Friday haha.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

op!! nooo

rebuild 3 is rad but now is (not) the time

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 17, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

zedd idk if you're reading this, but rebuild 3 did get a theatrical release here. i saw it in the cinema in rotterdam

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Is there going to be a viewing of Haruhi-chan and :nyoron: too?

they're good

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Zas posted:

they're good

SYMBOLISM

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

crucified mikuru is one of my top haruhi moments, don't care if its from an ona

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

haruhi-chan is so much win

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

If you want a taste of how much work went into making the series look real, and how scary obsessive Haruhi fans are...

http://tanasinn.info/wiki/Stalking_Haruhi_Suzumiya

edit: even more shots from the series from around Nishinomiya

http://www.cuso4.org/photos/20060928-kix/20060928-kix-haruhi.htm

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 17, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the nichijou blu rays actually contain a bunch of specials showing exactly where they got their backgrounds

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

haruhi-chan is so much win

there's a ton of killer moments. i think linnaeus has posted most of them by now, for the curious

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

the nichijou blu rays actually contain a bunch of specials showing exactly where they got their backgrounds

guess I'm spending today learning how to pirate blu ray features

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Davincie posted:

zedd idk if you're reading this, but rebuild 3 did get a theatrical release here. i saw it in the cinema in rotterdam
And now you tell me, a full year after I came there daily. :v:

Thanks, at least I know. :)

Zedd fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 17, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

Those are the best backgrounds they've ever done, I want that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Let's all go to the Haruhi town

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

And now, Haruhi shoots at a monk.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In Training posted:

Let's all go to the Haruhi town

Field trip!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If you want a taste of how much work went into making the series look real, and how scary obsessive Haruhi fans are...

http://tanasinn.info/wiki/Stalking_Haruhi_Suzumiya

edit: even more shots from the series from around Nishinomiya

http://www.cuso4.org/photos/20060928-kix/20060928-kix-haruhi.htm

this is very cool btw thanks

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

All of the Sigh episodes are after Melancholy 06 chronologically, right? Having a bit of a brain fart right now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

All of the Sigh episodes are after Melancholy 06 chronologically, right? Having a bit of a brain fart right now.

Everything is after Melancholy chronologically.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

EXTREMELY OMINOUS MUSIC (Sigh 4 8:50)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

In Training posted:

oh i meant to tell you this when you dropped the link to your tumblr: you should get on letterboxd instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I'd watch a whole show of Yuki staring at cats.

• Locked thread