Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Cogmind is the first game in ages that gives me that feeling where I'm discovering a new roguelike and I'm enthralled. GJ
Woohoo! I'll be relying on that feeling to make sure it's not a financial flop. I'd really like to make some more roguelikes :)

Tremis posted:

Woohoo, got on the Cogmind Alpha 3 Challenge board somehow. No idea what I did that got me there, but I look forward to finding out. There's a ton of them as ???. I wonder what they all are?

Kudos, on the updates. Lots of new goodies to play with and improvements to the game!
They're secrets, man, secrets.

I'm starting to reveal some every day or two, with descriptions for a few as well so if you're so inclined you can compete over individual achievements. Many will inspire different play styles, which is why the current leaders are from all over the place and so many different players are ranked at least somewhere.

Many more updates to come! For the next week or two I need to take some time to work on peripheral tasks like the dev blog, this event, and other Cogmind-related stuff that doesn't involve content. But in the back of my mind I'm starting to refine the concepts for the next two branches to be added in Alpha 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So, aside from the two of them listed on the wiki, are there any good resources for up-to-date build guides for ToME? Because as a new player, most of them seem to be from before the advent of things like Ogres being a race.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Steak Eater posted:

So, aside from the two of them listed on the wiki, are there any good resources for up-to-date build guides for ToME? Because as a new player, most of them seem to be from before the advent of things like Ogres being a race.

The official forums has a little wisdom on it but mileage varies from class to class

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Meridian posted:

I'm sure this has come up multiple times at this point, but does anyone have any suggestions as far as starter games and possibly some material on those games for a beginner in the genre? My only real experience is with Isaac which hardly qualifies and even that is either "get super lucky and smash the game or start over on the third floor."

See a lot of people suggesting Crawl, but it would be great if there was an LP or something I could look at to learn the basics.

I would also suggest One Way Heroics. It's pretty easy to pick up with simple controls.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Steak Eater posted:

Lots of classes haven't been significantly updated since the 1.1.5 guides here were written: http://te4.org/wiki/Guides

For Chronomancers and Sun Paladins you'd be better off asking the ToME thread here. Also maybe a bunch of other classes for whom I can't remember the last time they were updated (Brawlers, Skirmishers) so really, just ask there in general.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Harminoff posted:

I would also suggest One Way Heroics. It's pretty easy to pick up with simple controls.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210

Thank you for your suggestion, ended up getting side tracked by alcohol and counter-strike so I didn't end up starting a game on anything this weekend. I'll check this out.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Got one of the top scores in Cogmind at the moment, trying a more zippy build! I always default to flight-based builds because 'skipping' units is so great.

I made it decently far with a no-holds-barred treads and guns build! It devolved, as it always does, into a naked core zipping through corridors trying to find things to attach, but it happens. I really wish I knew what the Sages that show up around -4 were packing -- Gamma Lasers don't look like they have high disruption ratings but it felt like a part was getting disabled or outright destroyed every turn I spent in a firefight with them. They didn't seem to have system analysis modules, but then again, I didn't look too closely.

I love hypervelocity coil guns / gauss cannons because they have extremely high critical ratings, making them great for protracted firefights and more stealthy builds. I would like to do a hack-focused approach, but man I still have no idea how it's done. Building up familiarity only goes too far when you need hacking suites and datajacks and, more critically, have them not be shot off in the first fight you get into.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The only times I've gotten anywhere at all in Cogmind with a "murder everything" approach has been when I've found a bunch of explosive weapons.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Been watching you climb the ranks RoboCicero; great job. You currently have the third highest average score for all runs, the most challenging achievement.

Are you sure your disabled parts aren't being caused by you overheating by that point? Sage Gamma Rifles have no such impact, because Cogmind is immune to electromagnetic disabling of parts (otherwise your chances of survival against multiple Programmers would go down significantly!).

Hacking is tough to survive on at the moment. It will undergo some tweaks to broaden its viability, but as is you'll want to use it only as a supplementary strategy. (From a design standpoint it's tough to make hacking work entirely on its own because doing so would require making it less viable for non-hacker builds--otherwise it's too easily OP. We'll see what we can do about that later; there are still even more hacking targets to add first!)

IronicDongz posted:

The only times I've gotten anywhere at all in Cogmind with a "murder everything" approach has been when I've found a bunch of explosive weapons.
That's one way, though it only gets you so far since later on that makes you public enemy #1, and generally leaves little in the way of salvage to rebuild yourself. Explosives are definitely good to have in reserve for those spots where you might otherwise be torn to pieces when outnumbered in an open area.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

10 classes won in coin crypt. The shroud really breaks open when you get some of those purple coins that give away 6 coins and take 3 back, and you have a bag trap. Stuff the enemy full of your good coins and the loot multiplier means you get a hundred back.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's objectively 100% better without them. All they had to do was fiddle with the relative frequency and accessibility (shop price, spawn rate, etc) of previously-destructible consumables until they were in line with what a decent player would reasonably need. I've played Crawl a bit recently and I can assure you that you get enough potions and scrolls to get by, but not enough that you don't start to fret over their use and conservation if you've been needing them due to careless mistakes. Resource management is as important as it ever was, it's just less characterized by finicky conservation swapping and stashing and similar nonsense.

Gear corrosion is gone now too, and as a result gear corrosion is scarier than ever. Instead of "oh god loving drat it my nice +2 chain mail was corroded down to -1," you get "oh holy Jesus I'm at -9 corrosion debuff I can't injure poo poo and my AC is in the toilet :stonk:." Getting sassy with groups of corroders in Slime Pits is loving insanity and can kill you in a proper hurry if you don't start playing sensibly.

Pretty much all of the changes they've been making have aimed to reduce busywork, tedium, and frustration, while emphasizing the importance of tactics and good on-the-spot decision-making.

e: Sometimes I miss old Nemelex's wacky game-breaking chicanery, though :(

It was a lot of versions ago but one of my favorite runs in any roguelike was a spriggan enchanter w/ Nemelex. I had finished the game before with other characters and Tomb was always a huge pain in the rear end and being able to massively bully those obnoxious mummies with legendary summoning decks was the greatest. I think you might still be able to do that although its lost the deck of wonders stuff and generating tons of portals, etc. as I recall.

Sometimes I think game designers fail to appreciate when "unbalanced" can be fun and "balancing" the game over time just makes it less interesting...

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Does anyone have a trip report for Skyshine's Bedlam?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

SilverMike posted:

I plan on burning a few hours playing this after work in about seven hours, so psyched.

I really hope it plays as well as it looks, though if it sucks, I still need to play WL2 anyway.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

SilverMike posted:

It's good. It's like FTL only with more personality and less lovely room management. Also, combat is like the Banner Saga, but heavily modified.

Better comparison: it's the game Convoy wish it could be, I.E, without the lovely pop culture references and bland-rear end factions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

LotsBread posted:

It's good. It's like FTL only with more personality and less lovely room management. Also, combat is like the Banner Saga, but heavily modified.

Better comparison: it's the game Convoy wish it could be, I.E, without the lovely pop culture references and bland-rear end factions.

I really like FTL combat though.

I'll totally give it a try anyway.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't like it, and ended up returning it a few minutes ago.

Units are so fragile that whoever gets attacked first is probably dying outside of low-damage frontliners (especially since it's 100% hit chance outside of cover). This makes combat a game of area denial ala chess, but having 4 different noncustomizable "pieces" (classes) made it play out even more inflexibly than chess does. You can't control start of battle formation either, so have fun losing your veteran deadeye you've been carefully cultivating because anywhere you move him he'll get attacked next turn by something and die.
Your main method of influencing the battle are using equalizers, kind of like Heroes spells if this was HoMM. Your starting dozer has a lovely heal which can be used to screw with combat math like pumping a blocking critter in MTG so only one guy dies, and a 1 turn shield that that really doesn't block enough damage to actually save anyone, but whatever. You don't really get many new ones, and I probably found around 5-6 over all 3 runs.
Unit and dozer progress is extremely linear with little to no choices involved. Units just level up and get better hp/damage, and the dozer has 4 things you can pick to level. Customization comes from different dozers and new equalizers, but one is locked in at the start, and the others only start showing up (as far as I've seen from the 3 runs I played) with any predictability at the bottom of the map closer to the end of the run.

That sounds way more negative than I actually felt, so I will say they nailed the balanced drain of resources, which makes Bedlam play and feel like Banner Saga just felt.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

alarumklok posted:

I didn't like it, and ended up returning it a few minutes ago.

Units are so fragile that whoever gets attacked first is probably dying outside of low-damage frontliners (especially since it's 100% hit chance outside of cover). This makes combat a game of area denial ala chess, but having 4 different noncustomizable "pieces" (classes) made it play out even more inflexibly than chess does. You can't control start of battle formation either, so have fun losing your veteran deadeye you've been carefully cultivating because anywhere you move him he'll get attacked next turn by something and die.
Your main method of influencing the battle are using equalizers, kind of like Heroes spells if this was HoMM. Your starting dozer has a lovely heal which can be used to screw with combat math like pumping a blocking critter in MTG so only one guy dies, and a 1 turn shield that that really doesn't block enough damage to actually save anyone, but whatever. You don't really get many new ones, and I probably found around 5-6 over all 3 runs.
Unit and dozer progress is extremely linear with little to no choices involved. Units just level up and get better hp/damage, and the dozer has 4 things you can pick to level. Customization comes from different dozers and new equalizers, but one is locked in at the start, and the others only start showing up (as far as I've seen from the 3 runs I played) with any predictability at the bottom of the map closer to the end of the run.

That sounds way more negative than I actually felt, so I will say they nailed the balanced drain of resources, which makes Bedlam play and feel like Banner Saga just felt.

still better than getting breaking bad quotes and the 0451 code reference over and over again.

e: also, I remember hearing the guys keep balancing poo poo even after the game is out, so if that means improvement to glass cannon snipers, I'm cool with that.

LotsBread fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 17, 2015

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

My first thirty minutes' impression is that positioning is really key, and I didn't even think about the fact that you don't control where your people start. I can definitely see that sucking, but I already decided that I'm going with mostly frontliners and deadeyes (which have REALLY awkward killzones until they get their first veteran upgrade).

It's pretty hard, very linear so far, and resources run out quick-ish, so I'm trying to figure out how often I want to scavenge everything, how often I want to go 3 instead of 6 fighters, etc.

It's a neat game, but very much a lot more Oregon Trail than I was expecting, which isn't a bad thing, just unexpected.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Huge, huge spoiler for Bedlam at the end of this post. I went Normal.

Game is really, really fun once you start accepting that You Will Lose A Shitton Of Crew. The opening is extremely hard. Progression is indeed linear; you max all your Dozer upgrades, and then you use your power cells for events, and to blow poo poo the gently caress up.

Dozer weapons are hugely powerful, the ones that deal direct damage anyway. I have yet to try the default human Dozer weapon, the booze-cannon or whatever. I may as well, because it turns out: Dozer weapons are free actions, aside from power cell cost! You can take a Rookie, walk him up to an army, call down a couple of Dozer blasts from whatever you got, and boom, that Rookie is now a Veteran-1 or greater.

I lucked out early-on and got a Grudge Cannon, a Dozer weapon that deals a whopping 12 damage in a 3x3 area.

I was *less* lucky to not realize early-on that your Dozer weapons are fired from the selected unit, and I was hording my power cells.

Long story short, only after I lost literally all of my deadeyes did I realize I can take any unit, move them near a cluster of enemies, and then Grudge them to death for instant-veteran status. Far as I can tell, vet status maxes at three, not 100% sure just yet.

Veteran-3 Frontliners have 12 HP and deal 6 damage. Yeah.

When you reach Aztec City, you find out that the city has basically ascended, and you get reinforced crew and a new objective: fight your way back to Bysantine for an epic fetch quest, heh. The reinforced crew is one of each type, all Vet-1. You also get to pick a new weapon or something; I'm not sure if I missed out on a free equalizer or only got to pick a weapon because I chose 'continue' on the 'choose equalizer' page. I got me a Nuker, which goes great with my Grudge and Electric Guillotine.

Even more spoilery:

King Viscera himself is like the Flagship in FTL; at least 2 stages, I died on the second, but HOLY poo poo is he tough. I wasn't careful on the first instance and lost all the remaining elites I had. I *think* I actually hurt myself by killing all the lovely little guys at the start of the fight; the result was that the only unit left to move was Viscera himself, so I was unable to position my guys to not lose one every drat turn he took. I think if I left some standing, it would've been OK, or if there's some way to disable his natural bullshit shield that lets him take half damage from fighters. Brutally, brutally hard fights against him; he always gets to deal 10 damage and appears to always have shielding active.

I did not try the default human weapon at all before I died :( reason to try again next time!

Also I'm seriously considering taking a single Veteran-3 Frontliner into the fight against Viscera, nuking all the little guys again, and then just kiting Viscera, if that's even possible. Probably isn't.

High Score, in Defeat: 1,413,000

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 17, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The starting cannon is a confuse weapon with a crazy radius (it will mildly hurt friendlies, but won't confuse them). If you catch all surviving enemies in the radius, that's two free turns plus a pretty fair chance of them killing 1-3 of their own buddies.

The one thing I wish I had so far: grid view on all maps. :argh: Positioning is so important that it's annoying eyeballing it without a fully visible grid.

Edit: huh, it seems to actually be there, just incredibly faint.

Double edit: by default you get both a weapon and an equalizer from that event.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 18, 2015

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The 2015 ARRP festivities, such as they are, have been unleashed upon the world!

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=2015_ARRP

Said unleashment thus far constitutes Rng clrc, which does seem/sound spiffy as a mix of traditional and not-so-traditional doings:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Rng_clrc

Cross your fingers for the rest on the list alongside any surprise releases out of nowhere folks---it may not be the 7DRL myriad buffet, but these at least tend to stand a chance at Going Places ultimately~

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Has anyone been playing "Renowned Explorers - International Society"? I've tried assembling a couple of teams, but find that I'm out of my depth once I unlock the 4-star expeditions.

I like that you get different results from beating your foes with Friendly, Devious, or Aggressive attacks, and having to counter their own assaults rock/paper/scissors style is interesting, but I keep getting sent to the same locations and I'm not sure what I have to do to unlock more stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Quiet Python posted:

Has anyone been playing "Renowned Explorers - International Society"? I've tried assembling a couple of teams, but find that I'm out of my depth once I unlock the 4-star expeditions.

I like that you get different results from beating your foes with Friendly, Devious, or Aggressive attacks, and having to counter their own assaults rock/paper/scissors style is interesting, but I keep getting sent to the same locations and I'm not sure what I have to do to unlock more stuff.

When you unlock 4-star stuff, I've found the emerged island to be a lot easier than transylvania - actually the first encounter in transylvania has always wrecked me.

The most important thing in the game is to squeeze as many resources out of each expedition as possible.

Your first pile of research points should go into the preparations tree to get the extra supplies.

When leveling up, favor diversifying your party's perks over deepening them. Use events, entourage specialist bonuses, and store-bought trinkets to deepen them.

With your first gold your should first shore up the worst weaknesses in your characters' defenses. If they have low armor, buy them some armor, if they have low speech defense, get them a decent memento.

You can continue for a little while without supplies to collect more things, especially treasure. most parties can take a bit of debuffing and still come out ok.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U9tzDGOdTA

I just got it from the title.

System Shock 2 is kind of lame as well

I get it re-defined the genre, but as a game on it's own it's kind of terrible, I didn't know I had to give a thesis statement to spout an opinion.

Can't tell unless you play. It is one of the most terrifying and nerve wracking (in a good way) games I have ever played.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
So I'm seeing goons basically like Bedlam? What's up with the bad reviews on steam then?

I hate paying money for bad games...

Edit: also although I'm totally late to the pointless argument, SS2 is unbelievably overrated. SS1 4 life.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Quiet Python posted:

I actually just started a Renowned Explorers LP. I think I did a good job talking out strategy (but obviously I'm biased). Although YT processing is going slow so probably wait a couple of hours before watching it because it's only in 360p at the moment and not glorious 1080/60.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Can't tell unless you play. It is one of the most terrifying and nerve wracking (in a good way) games I have ever played.

The gently caress, that was 200 pages ago

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Well I think I finished a game of Bedlam on normal. I'm not entirely sure because after clearing the final boss(es) and returning to Byzantine the game froze. So that wasn't great.

Overall, I don't think I'll play it again... It is a game that I really want to like, but it is poorly designed in a lot of ways. The combat and resource mechanics are bizarre on a lot of levels:

1) 2 moves per turn irrespective of how many troops I bring is deeply bizarre... and encourages the player to bring the minimum number of units, which he will generally want to do, because...

2) 2x resources granted on victory if you bring a small squad (for no clear reason beyond developer perception of balance); also bonus resources for picking up resource hexes, but you lose anything you haven't pick up when you kill the last unit (again for no clear reason beyond forced balance)... and there is a cap on at least the power resource of 50 per fight (again, for no presented in-game reason)

3) no limit to special ability spamming per turn another than stockpile of power, which means the game is basically a slog of accumulating power and special abilities to massively spam on the boss fight(s) or be totally bulldozed;

4) range restrictions on units are bizarre (why can my gunslinger not shoot at things next to him, other than once again arbitrary balance purposes?);

5) 3 kills on a unit grants veteran status, which changes stats substantially. But subsequent level ups just give +1 damage each additional level, which is quite boring

Lot's of other weirdness and problems:

- near total lack of differentiation between your units of different races, or among elites of the same class (acid barfing lizard is identical in stats to giant guy with a grenade launcher because... developer laziness I suppose)

- related to above, totally missed opportunity to give unique equipment to specific soldiers

- the ascension run appears to be basically a test of whether you ranked up enough elite units so your per round damage is high enough (I'm OK with that) and whether you stockpiled enough power to spam heals, shields, bombs, etc. (this I am less OK with). With enough power you can be invulnerable every turn until your DPS soldiers bring down the boss. Without enough power everyone will be killed in a small handful of turns because the boss does a ton of unavoidable damage

- frequently broken AI. The only reason I won the final boss fight was due to AI stupidity and the boss standing still while I murdered him with a high level elite gunslinger

So I guess in sum this is a much worse game than it should or could be. The art is excellent, many of the encounters are enjoyable to read, and there are a lot of special abilities to find but in practice the game is just weird and unfun and boring and broken on a lot of levels...

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

It was also over one year ago :pwn:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Floodkiller posted:

It's pretty interesting that, in a time when the SA forums have gone down a bit in userbase, the roguelike thread got 200 pages of posts in 2015 (August 2014-2015) and only 80 in that same span in 2014. Maybe the "roguelike" marketing gimmick is a good thing.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Based on their Steam Thinking updates, I get the feeling that the Bedlam team is going to patch and fine tune more aggressively than most---the earliest of changes outlined for this first proper update are already fairly dramatic things that I'd moreso expect in an Early Access jaunt, but whatever works as they try to bludgeon this thing into their own little masterpiece now that they've got a inundation of feedback and bug reports crashing into them.

Post-release support is king, and I get the feeling they just might be a bit more driven on those lines than, say, Convoy.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's pretty interesting that, in a time when the SA forums have gone down a bit in userbase, the roguelike thread got 200 pages of posts in 2015 (August 2014-2015) and only 80 in that same span in 2014. Maybe the "roguelike" marketing gimmick is a good thing.

199 of those are about Qud, though.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Got my first win in Cogmind and a combat win to boot. I love this game so much and can't recommend it enough. Unless someone else whips out a beefy combat win, looks like I'll be second place in the tournie:

http://www.gridsagegames.com/cogmind/events/AC2015/

I'll be getting a cogmind gift key for my troubles. Unless one of my roguelike playing friends wants it, I'll give it away in this thread. I think once the tournament is over I'll begin drafting a series of Cogmind guides to help new players learn the ropes. There's a lot to learn at first.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Congrats! I'm going to probably take another shot at it sometime, but I had two runs end on the first floor due to encountering Pests at the wrong time. Those things are absolutely deadly at every point in the game, but especially more so before you have a toolkit (explosive weapons, piercing weapons, targeting computers, or plain outrunning them)

Unrelated, but I also think the core should gain weight capacity and energy generation as it levels up in addition to core health :v: I feel like a naked core is a little too punishing late game, but I also see arguments otherwise.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Based on their Steam Thinking updates, I get the feeling that the Bedlam team is going to patch and fine tune more aggressively than most---the earliest of changes outlined for this first proper update are already fairly dramatic things that I'd moreso expect in an Early Access jaunt, but whatever works as they try to bludgeon this thing into their own little masterpiece now that they've got a inundation of feedback and bug reports crashing into them.

Post-release support is king, and I get the feeling they just might be a bit more driven on those lines than, say, Convoy.

Hopefully, because the more I play this game, the more I dislike it. I'm still playing it, but only because I'm the kind of person who finds Organ Trail fun; it's about the same level of depth.

Great art and potential, just overall not great. I'd only buy it if you want to support Skyshine and hope the game gets better; right now it's in a Convoy-like state.

I'd play FTL instead if I didn't drop $17 on this, honestly. And I'm already fiending to play more Qud, come on, you knew that was coming.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bedlam looks like it took so much effort I almost want to buy it and convince myself that I like it, but just from the web site and GIFs, I know I won't have that much fun with it. It's probably a personal thing, I'm just kinda done with drawn-out turn-based chess battles.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

Floodkiller posted:

Well, I was getting caught up on the thread (which was awesome, since whoever recommended Abyss Odyssey deserves commendation) and not really watching the date before I responded. Sorry all!

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

RoboCicero posted:

Unrelated, but I also think the core should gain weight capacity and energy generation as it levels up in addition to core health :v: I feel like a naked core is a little too punishing late game, but I also see arguments otherwise.

The core does gain heat dissipation per level.... which is of course useless if you're naked. I think the x2 speed boost is enough. I once did basically all of -3 totally naked and managed to rebuild a bit on -2. The only thing you can't out run naked are swarmers (which are guaranteed to end your run if you run into them partless).

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Big Sean posted:

- related to above, totally missed opportunity to give unique equipment to specific soldiers

This and the related design factors (interchangeable units) are my big disappointment with Bedlam. Based on the pitch, I was expecting more focus on a detailed and complex tactical combat game and less on the hurtling-toward-the-finish strategic game. Oh well. Can't win 'em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Big Sean posted:

Edit: also although I'm totally late to the pointless argument, SS2 is unbelievably overrated. SS1 4 life.

SS2, I think, is kind of in the same bucket as Thief 2: the best parts are really good, some of LGS's best work, and it's scary as gently caress, but it's also quite variable in quality and the bad parts are really bad. And (again, like TMA) a lot of the bad parts are back-loaded, so you're more likely to be leaving with a bad impression. SS1 is more consistently good and this, I think, makes it a better game overall.

To bring things back to roguelikes, I've actually idly toyed with the idea of making a System Shock roguelike. Unlike Doom/DoomRL, Shock has a lot more scope for cool toys and abilities built in without the necessity of grafting on a class/level system and weapon crafting, for example. On the flip side, introducing stuff like that might encourage more variation in gameplay across runs. It could also be kind of fun to load up the original SS1 levels and see how well they work top-down (my guess is "not well").

Not happening any time soon, though. TTYmor is a big enough project, and ShockRL would be even bigger.