Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It's me im the genre fiction reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

i havent read a book in years

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
discworld sucks

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Srice posted:

I have only read a little bit (just a few short stories) and felt it was pretty neat from a historical perspective.
Yeah.

I was actually kinda surprised at Howard's sense of language and direction. Before looking into the short stories, my main cultural touchstone for Conan was appropriately enough Arnold Schwarzenegger. It was interesting, then, to read Howard's works and be treated to this grim but poetic lost age.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the best genre fiction is crime fiction

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
like i definitely struggled with reading after i got out of college nad came out on the side of "read what you like because its better than nothing" but discworld is really bad and its fans are super obnoxious

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My mom read nothing but romance novels about time traveling to scotland (highlander or something i don't remember) then asked to borrow Gravity's Rainbow because I liked it so much. I couldn't bring myself to warn her about all the weird poo poo poo poo so I just handed it over.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

discworld sucks

gently caress you

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Darth Windu posted:

like i definitely struggled with reading after i got out of college nad came out on the side of "read what you like because its better than nothing" but discworld is really bad and its fans are super obnoxious

discworld is like, top two in fantasy series

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

You have no right to call others obnoxious.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Droyer posted:

You have no right to call others obnoxious.

yes i do. i own.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Radio Spiricom posted:

the best genre fiction is crime fiction

That's not true at all

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

My mom read nothing but romance novels about time traveling to scotland (highlander or something i don't remember) then asked to borrow Gravity's Rainbow because I liked it so much. I couldn't bring myself to warn her about all the weird poo poo poo poo so I just handed it over.

lol

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Neil Stephenson got highschool me into Mesopotamian myth so I'm dubbing him the good sci fi writer.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

why do yall keep replacing the thread

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Kuh!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Smoking Crow posted:

discworld is like, top two in fantasy series

ive only read one and it was bad. maybe the others are good? idk. but its like doctor who basically

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DisDisDis posted:

Neil Stephenson got highschool me into Mesopotamian myth so I'm dubbing him the good sci fi writer.

we read gilgamesh in high school

the mesopotamians kind of suck

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

in like 3 weeks you're gonna be on chat thread 20 or something at this pace

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Egh!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
For the longest time for some reason I got Discworld confused with Riverworld.

People would be like, Discworld is great! and I'd be like, yeah, the ending was lame but the first three or four books were really good. and they'd be like what?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

Unfortunate things happened at the end of the last one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I enjoy Discworld for the most part, but the quality of the series overall is kinda uneven.

Books following Death and/or Samuel Vimes are typically pretty good though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah.

I was actually kinda surprised at Howard's refined use of language. Before looking into the short stories, my main cultural touchstone for Conan was appropriately enough Arnold Schwarzenegger. It was interesting, then, to read Howard's works and be treated to this grim but poetic lost age.

howard gets a bad rep as does conan. the films give them this image of a barbarian that just smashes and kills, but the 'real conan' was much more of a thinking man and cunning rogue who spoke multiple languages and loved to make jokes. a barbarian indiana jones really. quite a few stories don't even have any fights.

also its been ages, but im pretty sure one of the few times he actually lost in the story was when fighting an ancient numidian type civilization

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

this is a good question

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

DisDisDis posted:

yeah hes pretty good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah.

I was actually kinda surprised at Howard's sense of language and direction. Before looking into the short stories, my main cultural touchstone for Conan was appropriately enough Arnold Schwarzenegger. It was interesting, then, to read Howard's works and be treated to this grim but poetic lost age.

Yeah that movie was the only context I had as well. IIRC one of the short stories I read was the very first one, so it was weird to see that something called "Conan the Barbarian" start out with Conan as a king.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

lesbian baphomet posted:

in like 3 weeks you're gonna be on chat thread 20 or something at this pace

This one is going a lot slower than the last one

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Windu posted:

gowby of all people i've ever heard call other things as obnoxious i've never seen it been used so ironically

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I read mostly nonfiction (history, generally) with bouts of frenzied genre fiction and the occasional classic fiction. I finished Guns, Germs, and Steel a week or so ago, and now I don't know what to read, in the books-without-pictures category.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Droyer posted:

Unfortunate things happened at the end of the last one.

who cares though, anything bad that happens in a Fast Chat Thread is gone and in the past within like 5 minutes

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DisDisDis posted:

Some of Neal Stephenson is good, and some isn't, IMO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

The kerfuffle was about how everything Howard wrote is worthless because he was a racist dude
i mean, let's be honest: conan is decent, but how can you read that and not realize that the dude writing it is a racist

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

who cares though, anything bad that happens in a Fast Chat Thread is gone and in the past within like 5 minutes

did you see the new p5 trailer

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

That's not true at all

noted crazy person james ellroy is my favorite writer ever

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I read mostly nonfiction (history, generally) with bouts of frenzied genre fiction and the occasional classic fiction. I finished Guns, Germs, and Steel a week or so ago, and now I don't know what to read, in the books-without-pictures category.

Read Pandorax

wait, actually don't

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Luna Was Here posted:

gowby of all people i've ever heard call other things as obnoxious i've never seen it been used so ironically

how so

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

did you see the new p5 trailer

has there been a third gameplay trailer now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

please forget everything in that book and read 1491 to fill your head again

diamond is a eurocentric historian

• Locked thread