Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ide think that the half-life replay model would be better for remote desktop than the twitch model but hell what do i know i suck cocks for a living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Smythe posted:

ide think that the half-life replay model would be better for remote desktop than the twitch model but hell what do i know i suck cocks for a living

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
*handwaves* since video encoding is about only sending changes it's usually really really really low bandwidth to send a desktop since it's all highly compressible

it actually ends up being worse the X11 network transparent way because every single client (i.e. every single window) has to handle the redraws themselves

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
x11 just wasn't designed with modern constraints in mind

x11 literally renders fonts to bitmaps on client side and sends them to the display

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Er, that's backwards. It used to render fonts on the server. Then there was the X Font Server to support Type 1 fonts. Now you send bitmaps into a server-maintained global glyph cache, and say "copy the glyph from X,Y in the glyph cache to this position". And it turns out that's the best approach, since font rendering is surprisingly complex and every application wants it done slightly differently.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
But apparently you know more than the guy who had to rewrite a good portion of the font stack to make GL rendering mix with server-side glyphs. Because otherwise GL applications can't get subpixel rendered text.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Er, that's backwards. It used to render fonts on the server. Then there was the X Font Server to support Type 1 fonts. Now you send bitmaps into a server-maintained global glyph cache, and say "copy the glyph from X,Y in the glyph cache to this position". And it turns out that's the best approach, since font rendering is surprisingly complex and every application wants it done slightly differently.

ok cool so now it caches the bitmaps that were rendered client side and sent to the display

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
If by "now" you mean "has been for 15 years".

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

If by "now" you mean "has been for 15 years".

settle down beavis

I was shocked to see your product in Costco this weekend but it turned out to be some Logitech abomination instead

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i pointed that out before. timeline bitch

pram
Jun 10, 2001
has endless saved the world yet by selling crappy linux desktops to peasants

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

settle down beavis

I was shocked to see your product in Costco this weekend but it turned out to be some Logitech abomination instead

that's JBL, not Logitech

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the ghost of linux sound

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

that triple entendre with 'peasants'

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phoenixan posted:

the ghost of linux sound

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

my endless saw an update to version 2.4 of its OS, so I slightly closer to doing so

Suspicious Dish, what's new from 2.3.4→2.4?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Phoenixan posted:

the ghost of linux sound

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

my endless saw an update to version 2.4 of its OS, so I slightly closer to doing so

Suspicious Dish, what's new from 2.3.4→2.4?

Lots of tiny stuff, lots of bug fixes and under the hood changes. 357 core OS bugs were closed, and 257 application bugs were fixed. Boot speed should be significantly improved. We support a lot more printers now. Various system applications were updated and rebased. Lots of tiny optimizations to applications and our toolkits. There were lots of HW-specific bug fixes related to video decoding, audio and other things.

I think we're winding down on OS development now that it's mostly OK. We only have one major UI redesign to our OS at this point. Most of the new design and development is going into applications, and new frameworks and core OS features to support applications.

Knowledge apps / encyclopedia a few more features, and we made steady progress on a big feature which will likely be in the next release at this point. It didn't make this release, unfortunately.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think we're winding down on OS development now that it's mostly OK. We only have one major UI redesign to our OS at this point.

how will you track gnome if you have already settled on a UI design and OS underpinning?

are you cool with redesigning it every six months when someone gets a bee in his bonnet?

or is it just easier to have a platform that no isv can meaningfully target

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

the ghost of linux sound

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sometimes a cork gets putted in my linux printer cord and i need reboot to release all the prints that get stucked in it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i miss loud printin'

you know the noise i'm talking about, i don't have to poorly imitate it in typed, all caps words

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pinters fkin sux0r

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Axtually, my Brother so and so works great. Newsflash fag: it sucks balls

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
dot matrix printing

the best printing

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

celeron 300a posted:

dot matrix printing

the best printing

Applewriter II

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

celeron 300a posted:

dot matrix printing

the best printing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8I6qt_Z0Cg

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I should set up my ImageWriter II with CUPS so I can print pictures in glorious 144dpi color

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

eschaton posted:

I should set up my ImageWriter II with CUPS so I can print pictures in glorious 144dpi color

i like how the imagewriter 2's multicolor ribbons were always well used by the time i got to do anything on them so all the colors were bleeding together already so everything i printed in color looked like poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

celeron 300a posted:

dot matrix printing

the best printing

yeah, also daisywheel

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

yeah, also daisywheel

wish my posts would get hit by a daisycutter lmao

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sniep posted:

i like how the imagewriter 2's multicolor ribbons were always well used by the time i got to do anything on them so all the colors were bleeding together already so everything i printed in color looked like poo poo

you do a very good job of capturing the same effect in yospos monochrome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

i used an hp laserjet IIp up until a couple years ago

it was totally fine unless you tried to print an image. because then you would overflow the 2 mb of ram. oops

pram
Jun 10, 2001
linux ftw

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

seanbaby looking a little rough there

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

linux ftw

hey gramps if you've got a problem with it maybe you should be in the "1974 is the year of linux on the desktop" thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001
linux on the desktop in 20 years -comrade stallman at the 45th peoples linux congress

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

linux ftw

this is not very linux-symposium-tshirts.jpg, op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

linux ftw

1. these are the skinniest linux people i have ever seen

2. why the gently caress is the one in themiddle wearing a "debian women" t-shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gnome 3.18 coming out in a lil under a week yay