Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

If I can just get rid of the paranoia and worry over feeling like everything I do disappoints my manager, my job is pretty much perfectly fine otherwise.
Sorry, Impostor Syndrome will never go away, and if anything, can get pretty bad even with good teams. But on the bright side, it can be a signal that you're maturing as an engineer, so there's that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Pollyanna posted:

Not to get all goon-in-the-well here, but I think I'm going to bide my time a little longer before trying to get a new job. For one thing, I clearly need more experience if today's any indication. For another, I don't have any concrete proof that I'm about to get fired, it just feels that way - but then again, I have a feeling that's still proof enough for our purposes. :( If I can just get rid of the paranoia and worry over feeling like everything I do disappoints my manager, my job is pretty much perfectly fine otherwise.

I now understand how the string question could be a graph problem, but I'd need some more time to figure out a solution. Also, I don't know how to do graph problems and pathfinding. I have never had to do that in my life and do not find it relevant.

Well, regardless of how unimportant pathfinding and binary search trees and sorting algorithms are to day to day web developer tasks, you ARE going to be asked them. And you should want to be asked them, as it's the crappy places that place no value in higher level skills. Please keep at it though, sometimes it can take months to find a new position, and it is a lot less stressful (and easier) if you actually have a job and aren't literally starving.

And hey! You actually GOT an interview at Twitter, that's something. I've never interviewed at one of those fancy big tech companies.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Monkey Fury posted:

Not too long ago, I applied for a Python-based job at a major newspaper. They sent me a Hackerrank test that could only be done in C or C++ :what: since I haven't touched C since I was about 16, I... haven't heard back since submitting it.

b0lt posted:

I applied for a position as an Android developer and I got interviewed in C++ and Objective-C :v:

I meant just my comment about Twitter in particular!

Theres tons of places that ask language specific questions for both good and bad reasons. Figuring out if thats the case is a good question for the recruiter you talk to before hand.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Also, I don't know how to do graph problems and pathfinding. I have never had to do that in my life and do not find it relevant.
As a general note, this is a terrible attitude and a huge red flag for any interviewer. The fundamentals of computer science may not always be applicable in every situation, but you'll never know the situations where they are applicable if you don't know how they work. For larger companies, questions will generally test for overall knowledge and problem solving because not knowing basic CS approaches for a given problem means that you can't put this new hire in front of any arbitrary problem and expect an optimal solution. You never know what kind of problem might need to be solved, and you should strive to have as many tools as possible (basic principle of CS is that you're always learning, I swear you had a good post about that in the newbie thread at some point).

There are many areas of Twitter in the technical back end that could and probably do involve graph problems and pathfinding.

When interviewing at larger tech companies, I'm pretty sure there's no area of CS that will never come up. In a lot of ways it's weighted towards recent grads just because they have the most recent broad exposure to CS fundamentals, but generally speaking if you know you're going to be interviewing, you should be studying for these types of problems.

In the case of the problem you were given, 1. knowing about A* is a good start and hopefully you were vocal in your response to the interviewer about how you wanted to approach the problem, and 2. it's not necessarily a matter of actually implementing the most optimal solution as it is observing the way you approach the problem and how you think you might solve it. That's the area that will give the interviewer the most information to make a decision with. If most of your response is "I can't do this in an hour", there's not much reason for him to think "this person might succeed in this position", as opposed to "if I had time, I would implement A* with the following methods, and it would work this way, but I don't think I can finish in an hour", and then preferably you either come up with an implementation that you think you could finish within an hour, or you state that you can't think of a simpler/faster approach and offer to implement as much as you can in the time allotted.

Hopefully your experience in this interview will help you moving forward! Doing more interviews might make sense just so you have a better idea of what sorts of things you might run into when you really need to find a new job.

edit: oh and also, always remember that any one interview is never the end of the line, and just keep doing more interviews. it's not like you can never interview at twitter again, and it's not like you'll never be able to pass one of these interviews. just a matter of getting to know how you should prepare and how to best present yourself.

genki fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 18, 2015

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

genki posted:

edit: oh and also, always remember that any one interview is never the end of the line, and just keep doing more interviews. it's not like you can never interview at twitter again, and it's not like you'll never be able to pass one of these interviews. just a matter of getting to know how you should prepare and how to best present yourself.

This so much. The best preparation for these interviews is to just do more interviews. Communication and confidence are the key - even if you don't know something, being positive, tenacious and inquisitive at least earns you the interviewers respect.

I think for preparation, focus on very basic CS problems and suboptimal solutions that are easy to implement (assuming you're raw.) Figuring out the reason why they're suboptimal leads you to see when things like A* make sense as an optimal solution. The experienced person might be able to see the solution immediately, but that shouldn't discourage you. Technical interviews are NOT easy and you have to put in the preparation for them.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
A* isn't the right answer anyway, the search space is already linear in the size of the input, so you might as well just use ordinary BFS.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I figured out that I wanted to do something like BFS right as I was walking to 7-11 after the interview ended. :shepicide: 2D arrays are basically graphs and holy gently caress I am a goddamn idiot.

I think I'm gonna work through Skiena and SICP when I get a chance. It's been long enough that I need to review. And by "review", I mean actually learn DSA.

genki posted:

As a general note, this is a terrible attitude and a huge red flag for any interviewer. The fundamentals of computer science may not always be applicable in every situation, but you'll never know the situations where they are applicable if you don't know how they work. For larger companies, questions will generally test for overall knowledge and problem solving because not knowing basic CS approaches for a given problem means that you can't put this new hire in front of any arbitrary problem and expect an optimal solution. You never know what kind of problem might need to be solved, and you should strive to have as many tools as possible (basic principle of CS is that you're always learning, I swear you had a good post about that in the newbie thread at some point).

There are many areas of Twitter in the technical back end that could and probably do involve graph problems and pathfinding.

When interviewing at larger tech companies, I'm pretty sure there's no area of CS that will never come up. In a lot of ways it's weighted towards recent grads just because they have the most recent broad exposure to CS fundamentals, but generally speaking if you know you're going to be interviewing, you should be studying for these types of problems.

In the case of the problem you were given, 1. knowing about A* is a good start and hopefully you were vocal in your response to the interviewer about how you wanted to approach the problem, and 2. it's not necessarily a matter of actually implementing the most optimal solution as it is observing the way you approach the problem and how you think you might solve it. That's the area that will give the interviewer the most information to make a decision with. If most of your response is "I can't do this in an hour", there's not much reason for him to think "this person might succeed in this position", as opposed to "if I had time, I would implement A* with the following methods, and it would work this way, but I don't think I can finish in an hour", and then preferably you either come up with an implementation that you think you could finish within an hour, or you state that you can't think of a simpler/faster approach and offer to implement as much as you can in the time allotted.

Hopefully your experience in this interview will help you moving forward! Doing more interviews might make sense just so you have a better idea of what sorts of things you might run into when you really need to find a new job.

I did make a post like that, yeah. As for venting over the question, I was really pissed and frustrated because of how much of a pain in the rear end that interview was, and I was also way too worked up about it - combination of being a big name to interview for, and wanting a backup in case I get fired for taking a day off or some poo poo. (I need to get over that.) I'll try again someday.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
One thing that always annoyed me when interviewing people is that there's no non-buggy shared programming text editor website. Actually, for some time, etherpad was OK. But then it started getting glitchy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The company that hired me has entry-level software developers split time between doing support/bug hunting for our product and simple development tasks, with an Associate Software Engineer job title. My salary was very low, but whatever, it's my first job out of college. Six months later, they were impressed enough with my abilities that they promoted me and dropped the Associate from my job title. I'm just a Software Engineer and I no longer do any technical support, just development.

They sent me a new offer letter today with this new job title and it said that there is no increase in salary for the new position. I don't think that's normal but I also don't have any experience to tell me if that is the case. My initial reaction was that I was insulted and that I'm so underpaid at this position that I'm afraid I'm gimping my earning potential for the rest of my career. I want to tell them to go gently caress themselves but I don't think that's a very good option for the immediate future. Now I know why nobody stays at this company more than a year. Am... am I supposed to be negotating this? I don't even know.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Am... am I supposed to be negotating this? I don't even know.

Who cares, your job seems to suck, just find a better one you'll be happy at. Why worry about your future at a company you don't want to work for when you can worry about your future at a company you definitely do want to work for.

Basically the same thing happened at my last job. I started off doing lower level development stuff (kinda support-y) for less money than I was hoping, and when I got promoted I got a very small raise. That made me really want to start looking for a new job -- so I did and even though leaving still kind of sucked I am far happier here and getting paid much much more. I'm in a much better position for not worrying and just finding a better opportunity now.

edit: Anyway, if you're getting new responsibilities and this position is a step upwards then I don't see why there shouldn't be a raise for it, especially if it's not market competitive. Go for trying to negotiate it but in the end who cares find a new job.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 18, 2015

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The company that hired me has entry-level software developers split time between doing support/bug hunting for our product and simple development tasks, with an Associate Software Engineer job title. My salary was very low, but whatever, it's my first job out of college. Six months later, they were impressed enough with my abilities that they promoted me and dropped the Associate from my job title. I'm just a Software Engineer and I no longer do any technical support, just development.

They sent me a new offer letter today with this new job title and it said that there is no increase in salary for the new position. I don't think that's normal but I also don't have any experience to tell me if that is the case. My initial reaction was that I was insulted and that I'm so underpaid at this position that I'm afraid I'm gimping my earning potential for the rest of my career. I want to tell them to go gently caress themselves but I don't think that's a very good option for the immediate future. Now I know why nobody stays at this company more than a year. Am... am I supposed to be negotating this? I don't even know.

Promotions typically aren't salary increases anymore, just more work and a potentially better job later. You should ask for a salary increase, but typically, the payoff comes when you switch jobs.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Does anybody here work a job with minimal work hours? My current gig is the best, I basically come in every Monday through Thursday at 2PM, and leave by 5PM. Basically a 12 hour work week. I've been doing this for the past 2.5 years or so. I really like his work schedule (for obvious reasons) but I feel like this work schedule is starting to get to me. I feel like my next job switch is coming up, and am afraid my next job is going to require me to do a full 8 hour work week, which I really don't want to do. Basically the reason why my boss lets me work so few hours is because I always deliver working code every day. Most programmers can't close a single ticket unless you give them one week or more to do it. My boss can come to me with a problem, and I can usually get it done within 10 or 15 minutes, and that includes testing and deployment. Is it possible to find a job that where I can come and go as I please as long as I get all work done?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

School of How posted:

Does anybody here work a job with minimal work hours? My current gig is the best, I basically come in every Monday through Thursday at 2PM, and leave by 5PM. Basically a 12 hour work week. I've been doing this for the past 2.5 years or so. I really like his work schedule (for obvious reasons) but I feel like this work schedule is starting to get to me. I feel like my next job switch is coming up, and am afraid my next job is going to require me to do a full 8 hour work week, which I really don't want to do. Basically the reason why my boss lets me work so few hours is because I always deliver working code every day. Most programmers can't close a single ticket unless you give them one week or more to do it. My boss can come to me with a problem, and I can usually get it done within 10 or 15 minutes, and that includes testing and deployment. Is it possible to find a job that where I can come and go as I please as long as I get all work done?

Short answer, probably not.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

sarehu posted:

One thing that always annoyed me when interviewing people is that there's no non-buggy shared programming text editor website. Actually, for some time, etherpad was OK. But then it started getting glitchy.

coderpad.io is the best I've found. Has in browser running as well.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Promotions typically aren't salary increases anymore, just more work and a potentially better job later.

Don't know where you've worked but you are getting screwed if you think this is even close to true. Seriously you're suggesting it's reasonable for people to take on more responsibility on the promise of potential benefit at some unknown point in the future? Anyone who takes on more work without more pay is getting taken advantage of.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 18, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

School of How posted:

Maybe it's all my time in startup land jading me here, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this happens. Are all your coworkers completely incompetent at their jobs? Does the company literally run out of things for you to do? The project team I'm working on is constantly cutting user stories from the roadmap because there will absolutely never be enough person-hours in a week to get done everything that we want.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

piratepilates posted:

Who cares, your job seems to suck, just find a better one you'll be happy at. Why worry about your future at a company you don't want to work for when you can worry about your future at a company you definitely do want to work for.

Basically the same thing happened at my last job. I started off doing lower level development stuff (kinda support-y) for less money than I was hoping, and when I got promoted I got a very small raise. That made me really want to start looking for a new job -- so I did and even though leaving still kind of sucked I am far happier here and getting paid much much more. I'm in a much better position for not worrying and just finding a better opportunity now.

edit: Anyway, if you're getting new responsibilities and this position is a step upwards then I don't see why there shouldn't be a raise for it, especially if it's not market competitive. Go for trying to negotiate it but in the end who cares find a new job.

Always Be Job Hunting. There is nothing wrong with being a mercenary.

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe it's all my time in startup land jading me here, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this happens. Are all your coworkers completely incompetent at their jobs? Does the company literally run out of things for you to do? The project team I'm working on is constantly cutting user stories from the roadmap because there will absolutely never be enough person-hours in a week to get done everything that we want.

Yeah, seriously. What kinds of tickets are these? I fully trust that your code is up to par and well-tested, but if you were getting things done within 10-15 minutes where I work, people would 1. notice because we have mandatory PR reviews and 2. be extra hard because they'd think you were half-assing it to get it done quick (not what you're doing).

Does your company use version control? If so, who contributes to it? Just you, or everyone? I wonder if this isn't a problem with the company itself, and its engineering process. Either way, enjoy your flexible work week, seriously. It's a rare thing to get.

School of How posted:

Is it possible to find a job that where I can come and go as I please as long as I get all work done?

No. Butt-in-chair is how managers and higher-ups know that you are being productive and stops them from freaking out thinking that you're wasting company time. There are some people who have flexible hours and work days like yours (being able to work from home etc.), but they're people who have been with the company for years and/or are way too important to fire, so they'll do anything to keep them on. Hours and privileges like those come with seniority, even in startups.

If you start at a new company, you'll likely raise eyebrows the first time you try to work less than 40 hours a week in your chair in the office. "Unlimited vacation policy" and "no vacation policy" in particular mean "as much vacation as we will let you have", which can be less than average or plain ol' 0.

Not bitter.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 18, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

School of How posted:

Do you work for Hello World, Inc?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

kitten smoothie posted:

That company is the most egregious patent troll I've ever heard of.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kitten smoothie posted:

I had a job like his where we had a custom reporting platform in finance. Users would request a new type of report, and the coding, while it was technically true coding, was just throwing together a few different components and specifying what amounted to join columns and group by statements. This did literally take less than a half hour a fair amount of the time, but for some reason it was expected to take a week.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

School of How posted:

This is really easy, just get a 2nd job working remotely. Now you get to work 52h/week, but get paid for 80.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Pollyanna posted:

Not to get all goon-in-the-well here, but I think I'm going to bide my time a little longer before trying to get a new job.

Pollyanna posted:

Always Be Job Hunting. There is nothing wrong with being a mercenary.

Please take your own advice

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

pr0zac posted:

Don't know where you've worked but you are getting screwed if you think this is even close to true. Seriously you're suggesting it's reasonable for people to take on more responsibility on the promise of potential benefit at some unknown point in the future? Anyone who takes on more work without more pay is getting taken advantage of.
I think this is how the industry outside of Facebook works. Performance reviews are yearly, not every half, and there are often vague or no criteria for leveling, so people tend to get screwed unless they snag a title change and then use it to upgrade to something better.

The only company I've worked at other than FB that even implemented performance reviews implemented them poorly, and the execs got super pissed at me for pressuring them for improvements.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

baquerd posted:

I had a job like his where we had a custom reporting platform in finance. Users would request a new type of report, and the coding, while it was technically true coding, was just throwing together a few different components and specifying what amounted to join columns and group by statements. This did literally take less than a half hour a fair amount of the time, but for some reason it was expected to take a week.

Yeah, I had a similar job, except working on a rule engine. My project manager actually took me aside and told me to work more slowly and maybe surf the internet or something. I was knocking stuff out in one hour that unbeknownst to me was previously estimated to take 8, and we were billing the customer by the hour.

The upshot here, as I would also say to School of How, is that I didn't learn jack poo poo at that job, and every day I went in there was one more day when my skills were atrophying and I was ultimately screwing myself.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, I had a similar job, except working on a rule engine. My project manager actually took me aside and told me to work more slowly and maybe surf the internet or something. I was knocking stuff out in one hour that unbeknownst to me was previously estimated to take 8, and we were billing the customer by the hour.

The upshot here, as I would also say to School of How, is that I didn't learn jack poo poo at that job, and every day I went in there was one more day when my skills were atrophying and I was ultimately screwing myself.

Definitely one of the worst things I've ever been told in my career was just that.

Nothing more frustrating when you want to do the work and someone actively tells you not to. I like building poo poo damnit :colbert:

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm just really fast at doing my job. I have a photographic memory when it comes to code. My boss can come to me with a bug in the project, and almost all the time I can, without hesitation, determine why the bug is occurring, where in the code it is occurring, and how to fix it. The amount of time it takes me to fix the bug is the amount of time it takes me to open the file in my text editor, type in the change, switch to the command line, do git commit, ssh prod, git pull, sudo service uwsgi restart. I can close 10 or 20 user stories in a 3 hour work day. Most days my boss gets worn out from finding bugs before I get worn out fixing them.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I think this is how the industry outside of Facebook works. Performance reviews are yearly, not every half, and there are often vague or no criteria for leveling, so people tend to get screwed unless they snag a title change and then use it to upgrade to something better.

The only company I've worked at other than FB that even implemented performance reviews implemented them poorly, and the execs got super pissed at me for pressuring them for improvements.

Facebook isn't my first job and while I'll admit its better than most places I would never take treatment like that anywhere. The idea that its considered normal to not get a raise when you get a promotion in an industry where companies are spending millions lobbying the government to create more VISAs cause they can't hire enough people is kind of ridiculous.

I mean, I get that its a stereotype that developers are self-martyring workaholics that let themselves get taken advantage of and worked to death, but I will still insist the people that fit that stereotype are being dumb about it.

School of How posted:

open the file in my text editor, type in the change, switch to the command line, do git commit, ssh prod, git pull, sudo service uwsgi restart.

That this workflow does not include "get my code reviewed by a peer" or "push to testing tier" says a lot about the place you work.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

pr0zac posted:

Facebook isn't my first job and while I'll admit its better than most places I would never take treatment like that anywhere. The idea that its considered normal to not get a raise when you get a promotion in an industry where companies are spending millions lobbying the government to create more VISAs cause they can't hire enough people is kind of ridiculous.

I mean, I get that its a stereotype that developers are self-martyring workaholics that let themselves get taken advantage of and worked to death, but I will still insist the people that fit that stereotype are being dumb about it.

That this workflow does not include "get my code reviewed by a peer" or "push to testing tier" says a lot about the place you work.

I'm the only programmer. Its actually more efficient for there to be one programmer than for there to be a team in some situations. Because I wrote all the code, I'm just as capable as anyone else to review my own code.Maybe some people couldn't work under those conditions, but I've adjusted to it after doing it for so many months.

By the way, when I first started workingat this place, it may have took me a week to do a single story that I can not do in 20 seconds. What changed? When I first started, I didn't know the codebase very well (as it was writen by my at-the-time coworkers). Only after reading over the code over and over again, I started being able to get stuff done super fast.

Also, in response to the first part of your post (which is to another poster): an alternate way of getting a raise is to ask to work less hours. Thats effectively how I got the work situation I got today. Instead of asking for double the pay, I asked to work half the hours.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

School of How posted:

I'm the only programmer. Its actually more efficient for there to be one programmer than for there to be a team in some situations. Because I wrote all the code, I'm just as capable as anyone else to review my own code.Maybe some people couldn't work under those conditions, but I've adjusted to it after doing it for so many months.

By the way, when I first started workingat this place, it may have took me a week to do a single story that I can not do in 20 seconds. What changed? When I first started, I didn't know the codebase very well (as it was writen by my at-the-time coworkers). Only after reading over the code over and over again, I started being able to get stuff done super fast.

Also, in response to the first part of your post (which is to another poster): an alternate way of getting a raise is to ask to work less hours. Thats effectively how I got the work situation I got today. Instead of asking for double the pay, I asked to work half the hours.
Have you ever worked as part of a development team before?

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Have you ever worked as part of a development team before?

I worked on a ~10 person team that whittled down to 3 people from 2010-2011. I also worked on other small teams (5 people or less) from 2011 to 2013. My current job started out as a team of 3, but the other two dropped out and I've been solo now for about a year or so. Before starting my professional career, I programmed a lot of personal projects solo, so my natural setting for writing code is solo.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

School of How posted:

To be clear, I wasn't criticizing you personally. Your situation sounds awesome and the only way I could see it being better would be if you were working those 12 hours remotely.

I think more people work similar hours a week and pad the rest with dicking around than admit it. I mean, everyone posting in here right now is almost definitely doing it on work time.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

pr0zac posted:

I fought for a raise at one workplace of a year and got a 5% raise (from way below market rate to just below market rate) despite being vital enough that it took years after I left to recover in the area of the thing I was working on. On the other hand, switching jobs has netted me a 35% increase in salary.

Another company I worked at decided my salary was too high, so it gave my coworkers big raises to equalize and denied me one, saying I was getting too much. I was at least one or two levels above those coworkers, but we had started at about the same time. The thing is, when I started, I had sacrificed a ton of equity for a higher salary, and once I let them know, they told me they had no clue, but the budget was already set and there was nothing they could do. I played hardball and got an additional couple hundred dollars per year. Not that I stuck around long enough for that to matter.

I think that the company that doesn't gently caress their employees on compensation over a long time period is pretty drat rare, and I'm sticking to that. Even playing it smart, you still can't jump too many times lest your resume show how uncommitted you are to long-term employment, even if you actually are and you've just chosen companies poorly.

Salaries are predictably irrational - once it's decided, the arbitrary value you're set at becomes the baseline for your worth to the company, even if you're actually worth more. Getting re-appraised by another company, so to speak, is easier than getting the same company to realize despite itself that it should pay you more, and then to actually pay you more. IMO companies which don't implement good leveling standards and process (a lot of them) cannot and will not be fair to employees in the long term.

Also: not posting on work time. Currently recovering from multiple lovely situations converging into a couple of months.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

:gonk:

You should use some of those spare hours to set up a sane continuous integration/continuous delivery system.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

School of How posted:

The amount of time it takes me to fix the bug is the amount of time it takes me to open the file in my text editor, type in the change, switch to the command line, do git commit, ssh prod, git pull, sudo service uwsgi restart. I can close 10 or 20 user stories in a 3 hour work day. Most days my boss gets worn out from finding bugs before I get worn out fixing them.

So you're uhh.. not testing the changes before pushing them to production?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

zerofunk posted:

So you're uhh.. not testing the changes before pushing them to production?

Testing would just slow him down! He's got 50 other stories to get to.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Skandranon posted:

Testing would just slow him down! He's got 50 other stories to get to.

The thing I'm working on right now doesn't really lend itself to unit testing very well. We are building a device that uses GPS to track your location, sort of like how Uber works. Most testing has to be done by walking around the block and driving around town and poo poo like that. Unit testing this stuff would require too much work to get going. Plus, real world testing is more fun!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

School of How posted:

The thing I'm working on right now doesn't really lend itself to unit testing very well. We are building a device that uses GPS to track your location, sort of like how Uber works. Most testing has to be done by walking around the block and driving around town and poo poo like that. Unit testing this stuff would require too much work to get going. Plus, real world testing is more fun!

We are more concerned you push it straight to prod instead of at least a dev/test/qa environment so you can at least be sure you aren't going to blow up the world with your change.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Skandranon posted:

We are more concerned you push it straight to prod instead of at least a dev/test/qa environment so you can at least be sure you aren't going to blow up the world with your change.

We don't have any customers yet, so production is pretty much dev. I did set up a dev server which constantly updates every time I push to github, but we never use it for anything any more. Back when there were other programmers on the team the dev server was useful... At some point if we were to ever get users, we'd probably switch back to using the dev server for testing...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Whether it's appropriate for your current environment or not, with your description of this development workflow I'd be more concerned about being able to land any dev job rather than one that fits the hours you want to work

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

School of How posted:

Bullshit, you mock out a GPS feed and start dealing with crazy stuff GPS likes to do. Otherwise, soon you will get to the point (if you haven't already) where you start breaking other stuff with your fixes. Stuff like fixes for edge cases that you've forgotten about and now have to re-discover because there are no tests to ensure the software handles them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Also if you want real-world data, you can record it and play it back in the tests.