Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Good luck!

What's your favorite record?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

DBD's game still needs some players so everyone should get on board.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

I'm having a hard day and I think i'm gonna reorganize my record collection. Wish me luck mafia thread.

Man, organizing things is the best. When I was a kid I had about 300 sailor moon cards that I put in those card sheets in a binder, and at least once a month I would take them all out and reorganize them based on whatever criteria tickled my fancy that day. It was good times.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My mom just called. My step-sister had a baby :3:

It was pretty emotional because my step-dad passed away almost a year ago, so he missed it, but the baby is completely adorable so it's bittersweet.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DuckHuntDog posted:

DBD's game still needs some players so everyone should get on board.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey, I've talked to you guys about some of my game design stuff in the past, and I've got a new project I've been pecking away at. (It's actually why I haven't been in the thread as much recently. It's been eating most of my free times.) Kind of a love letter to NES RPGs, especially the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest series. I've got a lot of half-baked ideas, but no real idea how many of them are any good, so if anyone wanted to fill out my lovely survey I threw together about it, that'd be rad as gently caress.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quidnose posted:

If anyone likes jazz, I am listening to this album and it's pretty wonderful:

http://www.marsalismusic.com/releases/songs-mirth-melancholy

The first track was ok (probably need to revist it) but the melancholy tracks are really beautiful.

If anyone wants to talk about jazz I tend to do a lot of jazz listening as it gets colder and while I have many albums I enjoy I am nowhere near even really knowledgeable about jazz so I'd love to talk more about jazz~

I really like listening to jazz especially and mainly things pre-1960, but I know next to nothing about the musicians, their albums, songs, composers whatever, which is odd because I know that info pretty well when it comes to the rock music I listen to.

For example, I love the song All of Me, but I don't know who wrote it, or when, and how many covers have been done or what the most notable cover was.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asiina posted:

Man, organizing things is the best. When I was a kid I had about 300 sailor moon cards that I put in those card sheets in a binder, and at least once a month I would take them all out and reorganize them based on whatever criteria tickled my fancy that day. It was good times.

Such as what? I love the pointless rules we make for ourselves.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hey, I've talked to you guys about some of my game design stuff in the past, and I've got a new project I've been pecking away at. (It's actually why I haven't been in the thread as much recently. It's been eating most of my free times.) Kind of a love letter to NES RPGs, especially the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest series. I've got a lot of half-baked ideas, but no real idea how many of them are any good, so if anyone wanted to fill out my lovely survey I threw together about it, that'd be rad as gently caress.

Sure! Funnily enough I've been packing up things in my old bedroom and I came across the blueprints for a game my best friend in middle school and I wanted to develop on RPG maker, this means plot, items, stats, everything I had charted out on excel. That was amusing.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Such as what? I love the pointless rules we make for ourselves.

I'd organize them by character or by season of the series or some of them had this little heart border and some had a star border and some had no border. Or in order of which ones I liked the most. Almost all had pictures on both sides, so sometimes I'd put the back pictures together in any of those combinations.

Plus the sheets only held 9 and I'd want a page to be perfect so I'd try to find various groups of 9 that I could make.

I still have the cards and probably could do it all again.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I actually pulled it off the bookshelf and took some pictures for an imgur album (which I'll just link since it's a lot of pictures and they are big).

I totally forgot I had all those DBZ and Gundam Wing cards, but they were numbered so it never felt right reorganizing them. There's lots more pages, but I think these highlight my insane system of organizing them.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My organization is mostly done! Catalogued all the records I was behind on and they are now by genre instead of alphabetical (they are alphabetical within the genres).

My girlfriend had the great idea of getting some paint stirrers and labeling the genres so I can still stick them all in a row together on my bookshelf instead of having these weird genre splotches. This is the perfect solution and my life will be revolutionized.

I listened to a Lawrence Welk hymn album to start while I was organizing which was very pleasant. I have a weird fascination and love of terrible easy listening albums.

If I had to pick a favorite record, Magnus, it would probably be Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. I can return to that over and over again. But there are so many good records, and so many beyond what I physically own. My plex server is a glut of music.

Music is nice~

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Quidnose posted:

My organization is mostly done! Catalogued all the records I was behind on and they are now by genre instead of alphabetical (they are alphabetical within the genres).

My girlfriend had the great idea of getting some paint stirrers and labeling the genres so I can still stick them all in a row together on my bookshelf instead of having these weird genre splotches. This is the perfect solution and my life will be revolutionized.

I listened to a Lawrence Welk hymn album to start while I was organizing which was very pleasant. I have a weird fascination and love of terrible easy listening albums.

If I had to pick a favorite record, Magnus, it would probably be Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. I can return to that over and over again. But there are so many good records, and so many beyond what I physically own. My plex server is a glut of music.

Music is nice~

What if I said...music stinks and is bad!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

You can say "I don't really 'buy in' to that whole breathing thing" but I think we all know what the truth is~

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Has anyone else listened to the Chrono Trigger arrange album? It's jazz influenced and really good if you are a massive nerd like I am.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Quidnose posted:

You can say "I don't really 'buy in' to that whole breathing thing" but I think we all know what the truth is~

Breathing is pretty pedestrian IMO.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

For example, I love the song All of Me, but I don't know who wrote it, or when, and how many covers have been done or what the most notable cover was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icQz5GIkDuA

You can generally use wikipedia as a starting-point resource on things that are Very Notable. It won't always be the most-well-organized sort of thing, but it's at least got some names you can poke at and research further, which is where you start learning the real interesting stuff. It'll definitely tell you who wrote it, though.

I am always looking to explore new areas in my listening, and while I've got kind of a very basic grounding in jazz, thanks to a couple college courses and a few interesting records I found at Goodwill, it's really an entirely new world, if just because there's so much of it. Like, here. Miles Davis. Basically the most well-known jazz trumpeter of the 20th century. Recorded Kind of Blue, released in 1959, quite probably the biggest-selling jazz album of all time, and often cited as the greatest single jazz album of all time.

It was his thirty-third LP as a bandleader, not counting compilation recordings. All of these had been released in the previous eight years.

caveat: twelve of those were in the obscure, discontinued 10" LP format, which held closer to a half-hour of music, but nevertheless, they still each required the band to be in session in a recording studio and were released individually. Still, 21 12" LPs from 1955-59? Insane.

By the discography I'm referencing right now to make this post, which does not properly include live albums and does not even list them correctly chronologically, another reason that trying to study jazz is infuriating, let's just say Davis would produce 58 studio albums between 1951 and his death in 1991.

Let's compare that to some other prolific bands that I happen to listen to:

Grateful Dead: 22 studio or non-retrospectively-released live albums
Rush: 29 of the same
Robyn Hitchcock: 28
the Mountain Goats: 15 studio albums, 6 cassette-only albums and a slew of EPs, single-only b-sides and the like
Parliament, Funkadelic, various permutations of the P-Funk space empire, also discounting side projects such as the Brides of Funkenstein or Bootsy's Rubber Band: 38 [10 (P) + 17 (F) + 11 (George Clinton solo or P-F)]

And when you consider most of the people who have played as sidemen in Davis' groups have any number of groups and sessions as leader of their own, it becomes a thing one can easily spend a lifetime exploring maybe a half a percent of the whole. And this is ONE GUY. People've been recording various permutations of jazz and dance band music nearly as long as there's been commercial recordings for sale. Forgettaboutit

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Not to mention that during the course of those LPs you're describing Davis INVENTED loving EVERY GENRE OF JAZZ BASICALLY.

He went from bebop to inventing cool with "birth of the cool" to inventing modal to dabbling in stuff with Coltrane and then going off into some free jazz and then coming back and doing his own thing again and yeah it's just crazy. I pick up a Batles album and I know I'm going to hear some Beatles even if they changed as much as they did over the course of their long tenure together, going from pretty standard beginning rock and roll to the crazy multitracking poo poo they invented too. That doesn't even hold a candle to how much jazz changed from, like, 1955-1965. It's nuts.

This is not meant in any way to be a definitive description of what actually happened but it all happened so fast that it can be prettttyy overwhelming.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also now I want to spend all my time and money tracking down and buying obscure 10" Miles Davis LPs, thanks a loving lot Allen.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Not to mention that during the course of those LPs you're describing Davis INVENTED loving EVERY GENRE OF JAZZ BASICALLY.

Yah, it's seriously insane. I didn't want to lecture any more than I already was, I just wanted to give a basic example of the sort of output a jazz musician can have when they don't OD in their 20s.

http://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-The-Prestige-10-Inch-LP-Collection-Volume-One/release/6354729 <---They're not original pressings, obviously, but this has the first few 10"s he was on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One of the really genuinely cool things about the internet is that people can easily find out about stuff like this now. They can find out where these genres of music actually come from, instead of just assuming that rock was invented by Elvis and the Beatles.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I'm poor so when I go to the record store I bring ten dollars and buy a bunch of classical records for a buck apiece.

Notable exceptions: Bruce Springsteen, whose albums I've bought at full price a couple times, Dan Fogelberg, whose albums are generally in the dollar section as well, and a couple random records like Superman & Other Disco Hits.

But yeah I have all these classical records because they are cheeeeap and the last time I went, I found soooo much -- Wagner's Tristan & Isolde, Ravel's Bolero, some Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff concertos, an album of lute music and more.

I think there's a decent jazz section Quid, if you want me to keep my eyes open for anything let me know.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asiina posted:

I actually pulled it off the bookshelf and took some pictures for an imgur album (which I'll just link since it's a lot of pictures and they are big).

I totally forgot I had all those DBZ and Gundam Wing cards, but they were numbered so it never felt right reorganizing them. There's lots more pages, but I think these highlight my insane system of organizing them.

Nice. I used to have pokemon cards years ago but I unloaded them off to an interested party. I had a decent amount considering I had never bought a pack in my life.

CCKeane posted:

What if I said...music stinks and is bad!

I'm a fairly tolerant person, but this is one of those things I don't get about people. I really can't comprehend a person who doesn't like music.

But yeah Wren and Quid have shown why jazz is both awesome and so confusing at times. I guess I shouldn't be ashamed about my rudimentary knowledge about the genre (note that the stuff I mainly like is the early poppy jazz and stops right when Miles Davis really broke into the scene).

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Bullshit survey: complete

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Love you too, guys.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
did it up

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm someone who performs music on the regular but almost never, ever listens to it on their own. It's not even that I don't enjoy it, I just don't have the drive to listen to it/get bored only listening to music. I wonder how common my, uhh, haha, ailment is.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I have a friend that is like that. He will listen to an album exactly once and then is unlikely to ever listen to it again, and it's hard enough to even get him to do that first listen cause he'd rather just make what he wants to hear

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I'm someone who performs music on the regular but almost never, ever listens to it on their own. It's not even that I don't enjoy it, I just don't have the drive to listen to it/get bored only listening to music. I wonder how common my, uhh, haha, ailment is.

That's fine. Music is somehow still part of your life. It's just those people who don't listen to anything ever that say they don't get music. It confuses me completely.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I don't get musicians who don't listen to music, it's like saying "I'm a novelist but I don't like reading"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's fine. Music is somehow still part of your life. It's just those people who don't listen to anything ever that say they don't get music. It confuses me completely.

I dated a guy like this once, it confused the everliving poo poo out of me. He liked novelty bands and comedy music that was pretty low on artistry, and tolerated other music to an extent but was happiest in silence and would get actively annoyed if I played music for more than like 20 minutes or if it was like, mezzo forte.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

BTW musicnerds, go listen to the album Taranta Project, it's so good.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Look Under The Rock posted:

I don't get musicians who don't listen to music, it's like saying "I'm a novelist but I don't like reading"

I don't think it is. Music is a form of expression and while many musicians draw influence from a variety of places, I don't think it is a requirement. I think listening to music all the time is dull and, honestly, so is performing/creating it half of the time. I think people who say you have to listen to music to perform it are either a.) overstating the influence of other music in their own or b.) imitators using music as a way of "fitting in" which I have distaste for. I, however, understand that everyone is an individual and approach life/music in different ways so that I cannot say for certain why one person does this while another does that. Of course, what do you define as listening to music? At work there's always bland pop music in the background that I can't stand and thus tune out and when I'm at practice/out at shows I hear music too. I'm more saying listening to it when you're, say, in the car, at the gym, showering, laying at home on your bed or couch etc etc. Those are the times where I find myself never listening. I think it's because I have trouble not actually doing stuff, you know what I mean?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anybody want to take a look at a setup for me? Thinking of modding a game and decided to throw together a role madness thing.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
sure, shoot it my way

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Last night sucked. Football is a terrible sport!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

sure, shoot it my way

sent it over tell me how broken it is

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cop who helped fake tupac's death comes out and says he still alive.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/tupac-still-alive-retired-police-6467534

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

I'm so sorry dude :(

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

BottleKnight posted:

Time for Knile to shine imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Time for Knile to shine imo

I think that's reaching a bit. Sure, JC had a costly fumble, but he's still the Chiefs offense lol