Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
The people want the Panther Clipper, and it better be able to store ships and not some watered down 1000 cargo juggernaut!

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chrysophylax posted:

Can you expand on this? I'm curious because I own an anaconda and I think it's by far the best RES farmboat.

sorry I should have specified I was talking in regards to ability against humans. As an NPC grinding boat its plenty good.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DarthBlingBling posted:

The people want the Panther Clipper, and it better be able to store ships and not some watered down 1000 cargo juggernaut!

Well a Sidewinder is 25 tons, so you should totally be able to store and move around a bunch of small ships.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

TorakFade posted:

Actually, three

If the Cutter will be the Empire's Python equivalent, :fap:

e: apparently the Cutter is the counterpart to the Corvette, so probably more of an Imperial Anaconda. Kinda scary thought. Anyways I'm really happy we get significantly more ships, I still haven't found my favourite ship (ok for combat it's the Vulture but I can't settle on multirole - Python is too expensive, Cobra is too limited, Asp is for exploration, Clipper too big and clumsy for its shields)
:fap::fap::fap: I love my Gutamaya ships. Hopefully we get huge fixed beam lasers as well.

I really like the Courier, Vulture, Clipper and Python:
  • The Courier's a great little multirole ship that sounds and handles great and is probably my favourite overall of the small ships
  • The Vulture's a wonderful dedicated brawler that handles great, looks cool and is the best semi-cheap RES farming ship for a long time
  • The Clipper is a good cheap trader (for large outposts) with the best cockpit/engine sounds and is the best at ramming things
  • The Python is the best combat multi-role and outpost trader and is my current main ship
The only real downside the Imperial ships have is the rep grind to get them (which is admittedly really crap at the moment).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Libluini posted:

Don't forget if you're an explorer, you won't have RES nor trading, since we're out there in the great beyond. Not much to shoot at or trade with here. So we only get money from our exploration alone. But scanning down everything, even everything worthwile, would lead to a fast burnout, so we have to travel at a more leisurely pace, which means even less money.

I have my Asp, an Imperial Courier in storage back in civilization and 33 million credits in the bank. And that's with continuously playing since December last year. Explorers are even more hosed by Elite's income system.

On top of this if you ever want to change roles then you won't be able to get the federal/empire ships since exploring doesn't involve missions (I'm the first federal rank and still have no rank in empire). I got the game 3 months ago and still haven't flown anything more expensive than my diamondback explorer, although that will probably change once this semester gives me enough time to get back from my super long trip. Still way less money for the time than I got when I just flew a viper into a planet ring and shot people.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I really want the Federal Corvette and can't wait to buy it only to be disappointed by the choices of C4 weapons. I know you don't have to put the biggest class on weapon in a slot but god damnit give me more C4 weapons. :mad: Like the stations and capital ships have these big rear end autocannons why can't that be a C4 weapon?

TorakFade posted:

If you only play 4-5 hours a week like I guess most normal people do, getting the hundreds of millions required to purchase, outfit and operate the big ships is a pain in the rear end. I have a Python, I'm working on upgrading it but it takes a loooong time...
I like how the A class power plant on the Python and Anaconda basically doubles the cost of the ship alone. Granted you don't really need an A class plant but like, god drat.

OB_Juan posted:

That Adder really makes me wish we could reload ammunition. As it is, a hypothetical a wing of that Adder and two Eagles would have a hard time getting anywhere due to short jump distance and no scoops.
Not being able to carry more ammo is so silly. I'm flying a stupid huge rear end corvette thing and I still can only carry 31 railgun shots?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Libluini posted:

Don't forget if you're an explorer, you won't have RES nor trading, since we're out there in the great beyond. Not much to shoot at or trade with here. So we only get money from our exploration alone. But scanning down everything, even everything worthwile, would lead to a fast burnout, so we have to travel at a more leisurely pace, which means even less money.

I have my Asp, an Imperial Courier in storage back in civilization and 33 million credits in the bank. And that's with continuously playing since December last year. Explorers are even more hosed by Elite's income system.

Well, I also play since december but somehow explored my way into an Asp + Vulture + Courier + Clipper + 50 mil, I HAVE done some trading and RES hunting but no more than just a faw evenings. Clipper is a LONG way from being fitted properly. I think this money might be due to CG abuse?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sekenr posted:

Well, I also play since december but somehow explored my way into an Asp + Vulture + Courier + Clipper + 50 mil, I HAVE done some trading and RES hunting but no more than just a faw evenings. Clipper is a LONG way from being fitted properly. I think this money might be due to CG abuse?
You definitely didn't explore yourself into the right rank for a Clipper.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You definitely didn't explore yourself into the right rank for a Clipper.

Imperial ranks only took me 2 days from Serf

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
*makes a highly unmanly noise*

I now have a Python

EEEEEEEE

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Insert name here posted:

I really want the Federal Corvette and can't wait to buy it only to be disappointed by the choices of C4 weapons. I know you don't have to put the biggest class on weapon in a slot but god damnit give me more C4 weapons. :mad: Like the stations and capital ships have these big rear end autocannons why can't that be a C4 weapon?

I like how the A class power plant on the Python and Anaconda basically doubles the cost of the ship alone. Granted you don't really need an A class plant but like, god drat.

Not being able to carry more ammo is so silly. I'm flying a stupid huge rear end corvette thing and I still can only carry 31 railgun shots?

It's especially ridiculous in light of the Auto Field Maintenance module - given its limitations (can't fix hull or canopy, have to shut down system being repaired) it's still obvious it's intended for self-sufficiency in deep space - and that is very much my jam.

I think there needs to be a munitions factory module for larger (even medium) sized ships. It could work in tandem with a refinery or just a cargo bay (in case you rather pirate or salvage materials).

A power-intensive module could still function while hardpoints aren't deployed, refeeding your ammo. You could go into a pristine planet ring, load up on minerals you need, and have your ammo reserves ready in minutes. Bam, tons of new cool ship configurations, and another cool purpose for mining!

Transferring ammo would be good too.

And yeah, even simple reloading modules would be nice.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Only holding 2500 rounds really, really cuts into my bounty hunting money per hour because I have to keep going back to reload, and unfortunately in the area I currently dick around in, the system with the RESes isn't a system that actually sells loving ammo so I have to FSD to another system just to restock.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Any prime RES systems in Avril Levigne territory?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You should be able to just blast materials off of the rocks in planet rings and then scoop them up to make more bullets. It's the Space Future, there's technology to do that, because it's the Space Future.

Better, just blast entire bullets and missiles ready to fire out of the rocks. That's how it works in other games.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You should be able to just blast materials off of the rocks in planet rings and then scoop them up to make more bullets. It's the Space Future, there's technology to do that, because it's the Space Future.

Better, just blast entire bullets and missiles ready to fire out of the rocks. That's how it works in other games.

Oh now I want a multicannon that shoots small asteroid pebbles.

Anyways it's pretty clear that :frontear: has not much interest in letting us have more ammo. People have been whining since forever about the low ammo issue (of course there's people whining that having 30 shots is awesome because it's strategic and not dumbed down and yadda yadda yadda), but no developer has ever commented on it iirc, and it appears the Sacred Ammo Amounts have been written in stone and your space shotgun which fires 3 shots per second will only ever hold 30 rounds, because having to dock and reload every 5 minutes is Very Good and Fun, apparently...

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Sometimes it just feels like they love tedium.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Last night I finally got home from my jaunt to the Great Annihilator and back. I picked Arcturus because big loving star and flew to one of the stations there. After requesting to dock and very very carefully going through the letterbox I realised I have literally forgotten how to actually dock. How do I landing gear again?!? It's been months!

So after a frantic 5-minute scramble, with one eye on the screen to make sure nothing bad was happening, I dug out my Crab reference sheet I'd printed out ages ago to remind myself what the landing gear command was because I did NOT want to mess up and lose everything. Time was ticking and I was sitting there like an idiot looking at my landing pad. Ok, so that's the command for landing gear- WHY AM I BOOSTING OHGOD THIS IS ALL WRONG!

I bounced off the floor and careened into the back wall. Thank gently caress my shields were at 4 pips and full because that took out 2/3rds of them. I decided to leave the station before more bad things happened only to find flight assist was off. Somehow, all my controls had been altered in some masterfully timed error and none of the buttons did what they were supposed to. Among other outrages, Shift-1 was boost and landing gear was flight assist now apparently... I managed to get back out, get away from the station and save-quit.

After checking my control file was all there and re-booting the game it all worked as it should again, and I managed to dock and sell my data for approx 100 million. No game has ever, ever provoked such a visceral response of pure adrenaline-fuelled terror than that moment.

And then it occurred to me. If it nearly happened to me, chances are it has happened to someone else at some point, somewhere out there. If you are that person, please accept my deepest, most sincere condolences and sympathies. No-one deserves that. No-one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why didn't you just check the in-game keybind menu?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cactus posted:

And then it occurred to me. If it nearly happened to me, chances are it has happened to someone else at some point, somewhere out there. If you are that person, please accept my deepest, most sincere condolences and sympathies. No-one deserves that. No-one.

Well this dude got griefed by his own squadmate after a 3 month exploration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ixglz4AvY

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why didn't you just check the in-game keybind menu?

I did after I got out the station. It was all as it should be, but the buttons on the hotas were not doing what they were supposed to, and I couldn't see a keybind for landing gear despite scrolling through the controls a couple of times. It corrected itself after exiting and re-entering the game. It's the only time anything like that has ever happened and I have no idea why. The game had been running for hours though as I made the last stretch of the journey from about the Eagle nebula to home in one go, something just hosed up I guess.

e:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Well this dude got griefed by his own squadmate after a 3 month exploration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ixglz4AvY

hahaha "ow no, ow no, you didn't just do that"

Cactus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 18, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Holy christ that video is painful to watch.

TorakFade posted:

Oh now I want a multicannon that shoots small asteroid pebbles.

Anyways it's pretty clear that :frontear: has not much interest in letting us have more ammo. People have been whining since forever about the low ammo issue (of course there's people whining that having 30 shots is awesome because it's strategic and not dumbed down and yadda yadda yadda), but no developer has ever commented on it iirc, and it appears the Sacred Ammo Amounts have been written in stone and your space shotgun which fires 3 shots per second will only ever hold 30 rounds, because having to dock and reload every 5 minutes is Very Good and Fun, apparently...

The thing is it's actually a decent balance tradeoff to have energy weapons use all your power while physical weapons have to worry about ammo, the problem is that the moment the fight is over, your balance tradeoff now inconveniences the player and makes them waste time for 5-10 minutes to go resupply. There should be some ammo factory mode where you keep your hardpoints retracted for X seconds but then your ammo comes back. That way the ammo cap for a weapon matters during a single fight because if you run out of shotgun ammo you can't attack for some time if you want to get it back. But then you can just chill for a very short time after the fight to get your gear back instead of having to go all the way back to a station.

In a way physical weapons already have the same limitation as energy weapons using power, because they have to reload, which stops you from attacking just like how running out of laser power stops you from attacking until it recharges. Physical weapons being so much worse than energy weapons almost across the board was a huge turn off of combat for me.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 18, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cactus posted:

I did after I got out the station. It was all as it should be, but the buttons on the hotas were not doing what they were supposed to, and I couldn't see a keybind for landing gear despite scrolling through the controls a couple of times. It corrected itself after exiting and re-entering the game. It's the only time anything like that has ever happened and I have no idea why. The game had been running for hours though as I made the last stretch of the journey from about the Eagle nebula to home in one go, something just hosed up I guess.

Ah, that is strange. I had the controls gently caress up once myself, but I realized it was because it was recognizing my Xbox360 gamepad as the first set of buttons instead of my joystick, so while my joysticks boost button is normally say "button 12", instead the joystick was now "Button 31" and "Button 12" was something on the gamepad.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I have 2 360 pads but they were never switched on at any point. I had alt-tabbed a lot to put on various podcasts during the very long session. I'll never know.

Anyway next I'm going to start the Empire/Fed rank grind. At least I have the money to kit out a decent vulture or whatever for that now.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Also why can't I reload my weapons manually? Having to enter the next fight with your weapon(s) a quarter full is kinda annoying.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The thing is it's actually a decent balance tradeoff to have energy weapons use all your power while physical weapons have to worry about ammo, the problem is that the moment the fight is over, your balance tradeoff now inconveniences the player and makes them waste time for 5-10 minutes to go resupply. There should be some ammo factory mode where you keep your hardpoints retracted for X seconds but then your ammo comes back. That way the ammo cap for a weapon matters during a single fight because if you run out of shotgun ammo you can't attack for some time if you want to get it back. But then you can just chill for a very short time after the fight to get your gear back instead of having to go all the way back to a station.

In a way physical weapons already have the same limitation as energy weapons using power, because they have to reload, which stops you from attacking just like how running out of laser power stops you from attacking until it recharges. Physical weapons being so much worse than energy weapons almost across the board was a huge turn off of combat for me.

Would be real nice, or just an ammo rack in your internals that can carry more ammo but have a cooldown before reloads of the main magazine would suffice really as long as I can shoot more. And possibly more weapons too! Weapons are fun. Lasers can only go so far. Missiles are kinda eh, maybe against the Federal hull-heavy ships?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There's a few new weapons in CQC, maybe they'll make their way into the main game eventually.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Insert name here posted:

Also why can't I reload my weapons manually? Having to enter the next fight with your weapon(s) a quarter full is kinda annoying.

If I have like 10 rounds left I'll just waste them into space. Beats getting frustrated when a ship is flaunting in front of me and all I can do is ping his hull with lovely lasers.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
WHITEONBLUE Diamond Frogs
<MatrixRed> 0.25, 0.42, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> -0.25, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 1, 1 </MatrixBlue>

YELLOWONBLUE DF
<MatrixBlue> 1, 0.6, -0.4 </MatrixBlue>

REDONBLUE DF
<MatrixBlue> 1, -0.69, -0.89 </MatrixBlue>

BATTLE TOAD
<MatrixRed> 0.14, 0.59, 0 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 0, 1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, -0.65, -0.5 </MatrixBlue>

Sick new HUD colors just been cookin' up in celebration of our return..

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That stuff's really good, the second one is pretty close to what I have now. I'll need to try those out when I have time to play again.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I really wish I could run a sweet blue/white coloration, but I just can't get used to how badly they tend to muck with friend and foe colors on the radar. Screw the TR, red should always = dead.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah, the issue is that foe identification just drops the green and blue from the overall HUD coloration. So you can get red enemies only if you have red in the HUD color. Purple and pink HUDs can have red enemies, blue and green can't. Yellow can, and orange obviously can.

Otherwise, like these, you end up with foes that are just a slightly darker color of the same.

Usually, I prefer to keep green for allies, and let enemies be what they are because basically anyone who isn't an ally is a target for me.

In the green HUD up there though I have allies in blue, though I might make them more sky blue later.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This is a green hud with red enemies.

<MatrixRed> 0.2, 0, -1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> -1, 1.25, -1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.22, 0.32, 2 </MatrixBlue>

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

TomR posted:

Oh man, that's a really clever way of going about it, too. I've never tried taking things beyond 1 or -1, I like it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

GaylordButts posted:

I really wish I could run a sweet blue/white coloration, but I just can't get used to how badly they tend to muck with friend and foe colors on the radar. Screw the TR, red should always = dead.
Yeah every time I've tried mucking about with the HUD colours I've never managed to get a good IFF colour spread. Like enemies would be a colour and non-enemies would be a slightly different shade of the same colour.

TomR posted:

Got any screenshots of this?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Insert name here posted:

Got any screenshots of this?

Looks like this

timn
Mar 16, 2010
It's like the first Freespace, I like it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I've a friend who has a thing for purple, you wouldn't have a good purple one handy? Preferably one leaning towards more of a royal purple - the kind of purple you see on the Vibrant packs - than pinkish neon purple.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just play around with a generator.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That makes it look crummy. Here are some in game screenshots.

The enemy was flashing because he was shooting at me. They go solid red when they aren't. I killed him before I drained my weapon capacitor. Silly me left my pips wrong. :v:

Also I only use this HUD with my DK2 because of the pentile screen. The rest of the time I actually the like orange.

TomR fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

TomR posted:

That makes it look crummy. Here are some in game screenshots.

Sold!

• Locked thread