Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That's on Reid for not kneeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Also music started c2 days ago with the release of Young Thug's "Slime Season"

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I think that's reaching a bit. Sure, JC had a costly fumble, but he's still the Chiefs offense lol

Oh I know, but he is a former :razorback: so I just want him to be the man

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Reid not knowing how to manage the clock? What????????????? That used to be his strength in Philly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Lumpen posted:

Aww thanks for the plug.
I currently have 7 titles available on Audible.

I pledge to voluntarily donate 50% of my royalties for the month of August to Planned Parenthood just to carespite my dear friend LUTR.
In addition, if you buy through smile.amazon.com, you can designate a charity of your choice to receive an additional donation. I use that for all of my own Amazon purchases.
I followed through on this pledge today. :sun:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Lumpen posted:

I followed through on this pledge today. :sun:

Yay! Good job being a good person

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

I don't think it is. Music is a form of expression and while many musicians draw influence from a variety of places, I don't think it is a requirement. I think listening to music all the time is dull and, honestly, so is performing/creating it half of the time. I think people who say you have to listen to music to perform it are either a.) overstating the influence of other music in their own or b.) imitators using music as a way of "fitting in" which I have distaste for. I, however, understand that everyone is an individual and approach life/music in different ways so that I cannot say for certain why one person does this while another does that. Of course, what do you define as listening to music? At work there's always bland pop music in the background that I can't stand and thus tune out and when I'm at practice/out at shows I hear music too. I'm more saying listening to it when you're, say, in the car, at the gym, showering, laying at home on your bed or couch etc etc. Those are the times where I find myself never listening. I think it's because I have trouble not actually doing stuff, you know what I mean?

I am a chef but I don't like eating at restaurants.
I write code but I don't use the internet.
I am a clothing designer but I don't follow fashion.
I am a painter but I don't go to museums.

Like to me it's not even about influence, it's about expanding your knowledge base. Sure, you can practice and practice but unless you're actually studying the art you make, your artistic growth is gonna be pretty slow. And I'm not saying you have to always be consuming, but to say "the only music I really want to listen to is the stuff I make" just doesn't make sense to me.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Check out what I found under the blower housing of a riding lawn mowers engine

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

We expand our knowledge base by both study and experience. I elect to prioritize the latter, you elect to prioritize the former and in both cases it is because of our personal preferences in leisure activity. I'm a vocalist - I can do crazy things with my voice but at the end of the day there are human limitations and I've found that I enjoy the music I make far, far more when I ad lib it and get something that feels good rather than something formulaic or something similar to a part of a song I liked.

It also matters why you do music and there are so many reasons to make it that it'd be silly trying to list them. Many of those things don't require other music as something to springboard off of. Knowledge is well and good, but how much of that is relevant to your own music? Only as much as you let it be. I think music will be good or bad (insofar as that delineation has any meaning) independent of that.

I think your comparisons are bad, too, btw - A clothing designer should be trying to create new fashions rather than conforming to current ones and painters should be focused on their own message rather than the messages of their colleagues because painting, like music, is primarily about expressing oneself.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Magnus Gallant posted:

Check out what I found under the blower housing of a riding lawn mowers engine

Did you mean to post a picture or something or is this just click bait?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

I think that's reaching a bit. Sure, JC had a costly fumble, but he's still the Chiefs offense lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't feel like reading back 100 pages. Why are we care spiting LUTR?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

LUTR said something others found distasteful. I don't think LUTR is a bad person at all and I think Lumpen is being an rear end... a charitable rear end.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I don't think there is a single model of ethics that says carespiting is a thing.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't feel like reading back 100 pages. Why are we care spiting LUTR?
LUTR didn't say anything "distasteful", I adore LUTR!
Oh the "carespite" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, we were talking about talking about libertarians and how heartless and uncaring people are, necessitating having the wise generous politicians tax and spend their money for them, and LUTR said:

Look Under The Rock posted:

NO this is not how the world works and any program that actually does anything for poor people will be drastically underfunded because for real, if you no longer have to pay taxes, what percent of your income are you going to voluntarily give to Planned Parenthood, homeless shelters, literacy programs? How many people do you think are actually going to put that tax break back into their communities rather than buying a better car/improving their home/drinking more craft beer? It doesn't loving happen.

I've worked for nonprofits. I know how this poo poo works. Do away with taxation and you will lose all programs that don't directly affect their donor base. It is incredibly hard to motivate people to part with their money for a cause that will never affect their lives.
So I put money where mouth is and voluntarily ponied up 50% of my month of gay detective audiobook royalties because I think Planned Parenthood is good and worthy and yet should also recieve zero tax money forcibly extracted from people with less enlightened viewpoints.

And I'm especially happy to donate to women's health today, because I just discovered today that the author of all those gay detective books is actually a woman writing under a gay male pen name.

If taxes were less, my family could and would be even more charitable, and I think that people in general would too. Maybe I'm just one of those naive bleeding heart libertarians though.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Just assume goons are being dumb and you'll always be right

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Tremendous Taste posted:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Grandicap posted:

Did you mean to post a picture or something or is this just click bait?

There was supposed to be this pic

http://imgur.com/EKNUvUJ

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lumpen posted:

So I put money where mouth is and voluntarily ponied up 50% of my month of gay detective audiobook royalties because I think Planned Parenthood is good and worthy

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

There was supposed to be this pic

http://imgur.com/EKNUvUJ

There's no picture at that link.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Allen Wren posted:

There's no picture at that link.

try this

http://i.imgur.com/EKNUvUJ.jpg

(kinda :nws:, it's a dead snake looking all mangled and gross)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Still won't load. FF gives the broken image error.

Probably better off.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rugby World Cup is on!

I don't understand the game but it's a fun watch

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
chiming in late to say it is not Reids fault. Something could have broke open and a big play could have happened, and running is the safest way to exploit that possibility. JC should have died before letting that ball touch the ground. Like if there isn't a play go down, and hug the ball like its your dying grandma

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Last night's game was the best. Bullshit Defense fantasy points galore.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

JakeP posted:

chiming in late to say it is not Reids fault. Something could have broke open and a big play could have happened, and running is the safest way to exploit that possibility. JC should have died before letting that ball touch the ground. Like if there isn't a play go down, and hug the ball like its your dying grandma

Why put JC in there? He's not exactly an impenetrable giant, he's an elusive small body back. Give it to a thumper, drat.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Lumpen posted:

LUTR didn't say anything "distasteful", I adore LUTR!
Oh the "carespite" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, we were talking about talking about libertarians and how heartless and uncaring people are, necessitating having the wise generous politicians tax and spend their money for them, and LUTR said:

So I put money where mouth is and voluntarily ponied up 50% of my month of gay detective audiobook royalties because I think Planned Parenthood is good and worthy and yet should also recieve zero tax money forcibly extracted from people with less enlightened viewpoints.

And I'm especially happy to donate to women's health today, because I just discovered today that the author of all those gay detective books is actually a woman writing under a gay male pen name.

If taxes were less, my family could and would be even more charitable, and I think that people in general would too. Maybe I'm just one of those naive bleeding heart libertarians though.

This was a cool thing to do! You're the only person I know who has ever donated to Planned Parenthood.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i think the important thing to remember is that, at the end of the game, whichever team has scored enough footballs into the goal wins.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Planned Parenthood, gently caress the GOP and the two dems who actually voted for this poo poo

Thank goodness for veto power

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

Rugby World Cup is on!

What channel? Is it national? I'd totally watch.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Why put JC in there? He's not exactly an impenetrable giant, he's an elusive small body back. Give it to a thumper, drat.

They needed a lot of yards, so a fast back who could make a play if they could make it into open field

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Honestly it's nobody's fault but Jamaal's. The fumble shouldn'tve happened, but it did, and the Broncos defense was playing great for most of the 4th quarter. It was a huge, crazy bummer, but whatever.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
its the chiefs d's fault for letting old man manning drive down the field on them like that. Dudes done

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

i found it up in the 600s on directv, I don't have a super package or anything

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

BottleKnight posted:

Per Wiki "Live coverage of nine matches between the two broadcasters – four USA pool matches, opening match, both semi-finals, bronze final and the final. UniversalSports.com will live stream all 48 matches online in the US for a cost of $199.99."

Check Universal Sports, NBC, and Univision.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

BottleKnight posted:

the Broncos defense was playing great for most of the 4th quarter

Yeah they were!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lumpen posted:

I've worked in charity fundraising, I know from lots of experience that most people give just a tiny bit so they can excuse themselves from giving anything more. You can tell this because most people just give to 'charity', they don't know or care which charity they're giving to, they don't connect with any particular cause, they just give because they feel like giving is something they're supposed to do and then justify to themselves why they don't need to feel bad for not giving more.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tremendous Taste posted:

Rugby World Cup is on!

We're doing a sweepstakes in the work office.

I drew Italy :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

I've worked in charity fundraising, I know from lots of experience that most people give just a tiny bit so they can excuse themselves from giving anything more. You can tell this because most people just give to 'charity', they don't know or care which charity they're giving to, they don't connect with any particular cause, they just give because they feel like giving is something they're supposed to do and then justify to themselves why they don't need to feel bad for not giving more.

This phenomenon has been shown empirically as well:

https://philanthropy.com/article/Paying-TaxesGiving-to/156155

http://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/alfresco/publication-pdfs/310810-Effects-of-Estate-Tax-Reform-on-Charitable-Giving.PDF