Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

That said, I do think the myth of the IT rockstar is overblown.

I've been that guy and had the numbers to prove it in every measurable category my company had. My pay didn't increase at all, so I stopped being that guy. Somewhere around the age of 27-28 my head came flying out of my rear end and I realized I was literally killing myself for no extra pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mad Wack posted:

Never become an IT project manager. What was I thinking?

:saddowns::hf::saddowns:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Every extra ticket you close above and beyond expectations of your team is time you're not spending training the next person down the totem pole how to do it

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vulture Culture posted:

Every extra ticket you close above and beyond expectations of your team is time you're not spending training the next person down the totem pole how to do it

The faster you close tickets, the faster your queue will refill, too.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Inspector_666 posted:

The faster you close tickets, the faster your queue will refill, too.
There's that, but my point was more about how rockstars are very often a narcissistic drag on their team instead of being any real productivity benefit to the organization

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
If anyone in the Oregon or Washington area needs a job, a position might be opening up at a company I currently have to provide support for that I don't have the time for. You'd have to move out to a crappy podunk town in west-central Washington, but it could be a good option for someone who is either out of a job or is looking for more experience. Really basic Microsoft environment built with literally no budget on used servers. They're starting to open up the purse strings now though.

You'd definitely get free weed though. :okpos:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Oh yes it is that time of year.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
It's officially :yotj: time for me. What a relief.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

4 weeks of untracked pto, unlimited sick days, wfh whenever

Basically the same. A little more PTO, but no one cares but no one tracks it. That may also be because no one has abused it. I'm sure once that happens the clamp down will begin.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

ptier posted:

Oh yes it is that time of year.

salute. That brewery's 10 minutes from my house, and I probably know a good bit of the team that produced that treat for you.

One of my biggest regrets is not putting in for their IT manager position that opened up six months ago. (rapidly growing companies that's never had an IT department is a terrifying concept)

edit : also try the Warlock :)

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 19, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

joe944 posted:

It's officially :yotj: time for me. What a relief.

:toot:

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Was told yesterday as I left that I'd be sitting in on the interviews for what will be my departments new manager (technical services - level 3 network/server engineers in a healthcare environment). Have a few things in mind but what would you all ask your potential new managers given the chance?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
How hands on do they plan to be?

(not sure what you are looking for, but it's good to know)

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

adorai posted:

How hands on do they plan to be?

(not sure what you are looking for, but it's good to know)

That was going to be my first question. We're a pretty laid back group and a micro manager would lead to insurrection. Thinking about making them squirm and asking about when they last had to fire someone :getin:.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

gooby pls posted:

what would you all ask your potential new managers given the chance?

How many ping ping balls can fit in a 747?

How many windows are on all the sky scrapers in {your_city}?

These are important.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

How many ping ping balls can fit in a 747?

These are important.

What is the point of these types of questions? Is it just to see how the person digests a complex problem?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

Basically the same. A little more PTO, but no one cares but no one tracks it. That may also be because no one has abused it. I'm sure once that happens the clamp down will begin.

Our PTO is basically for when you need or want a day completely undisturbed. Otherwise if you have an appointment or are sick or some poo poo, you can work for home and nobody cares.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

crunk dork posted:

What is the point of these types of questions? Is it just to see how the person digests a complex problem?

Yeah it's to see how you problem-solve, how you can creatively make assumptions and do the math. Also about knowing how to ask the right questions.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

crunk dork posted:

The problem is when the interviewer thinks there is a correct answer instead of evaluating your thought process.

Edit: my buddy was asked the window one. He threw out some big number. The interviewer asked him "and how do you know that?" he said "well the guy who is over the installation of all the windows in our city's skyscrapers is my uncle and I asked him".

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 19, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

16 000

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So my team (ops) has made the Shia Lebeouf motivational speech our thing, which pretty much means shouting "Do it!" or other random quotes from the video and doing the crotch flex.

We recently added a :doit: emoji to Slack, which has seen widespread adoption throughout the company.

Emoji:

People are just now noticing that we also added Slackbot responses when "Shia" or "just do it" is typed in any channel. It's pretty funny.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tailored Sauce posted:

Yeah it's to see how you problem-solve, how you can creatively make assumptions and do the math. Also about knowing how to ask the right questions.

Actually the point is that Microsoft came up with the idea of asking pointless bullshit last decade, and despite later deciding that there's no significant correlation between "good programmers" and "people who like to solve pointless bullshit," other businesses decided to copy Microsoft and now we have to put up with this.

Seriously, the right question to ask in response to these is always, "Why would you want to do this? Why are we moving Mt. Fuji? Why are we filling a 747 with ping-pong balls?" If the interviewer was actually trying to gauge your problem-solving abilities, they would have responses prepared to your utterly predictable reaction of "wtf why." They would say something like, "oh we need to build a road to the other side of the mountain" or "we need to ship a bunch of ping-pong balls and need to know how many 747's we'd need to use." At which point you could do real problem-solving and come up with a solution to what the interviewer (client) really wants, which is not to move Mt. Fuji but to build transportation infrastructure (let's build a tunnel, that's probably more realistic). Clients coming to programmers and IT pros with an utterly unrealistic solution to a problem happens, and identifying this situation and responding appropriately (rooting out the actual problem and designing a real solution) is a valuable skill.

But no, interviewers asking these questions will invariably respond with, "It doesn't matter why we want to move the mountain, just tell me how you'd move it!" Because they're not trying to gauge your problem-solving skill, they're trying to get a monkey to dance for them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Che Delilas posted:

Actually the point is that Microsoft came up with the idea of asking pointless bullshit last decade, and despite later deciding that there's no significant correlation between "good programmers" and "people who like to solve pointless bullshit," other businesses decided to copy Microsoft and now we have to put up with this.

Well, to be fair, we haven't found anything else that correlates well with job performance either outside of *maybe* grades and test scores and you've gotta fill the interview time with something.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

Well, to be fair, we haven't found anything else that correlates well with job performance either outside of *maybe* grades and test scores and you've gotta fill the interview time with something.
DNA testing leads to the best performance indicators. The nice thing about it is we can just skip the interview in the future.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

gooby pls posted:

Have a few things in mind but what would you all ask your potential new managers given the chance?

If you had to choose in a fist fight would you rather be up against;
- One horse sized duck
or
- One hundred duck sized horses

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

salute. That brewery's 10 minutes from my house, and I probably know a good bit of the team that produced that treat for you.
Go tell them they're awesome and one of my favorite breweries, especially for their dessert stouts (Mokah. :swoon:)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Che Delilas posted:

But no, interviewers asking these questions will invariably respond with, "It doesn't matter why we want to move the mountain, just tell me how you'd move it!" Because they're not trying to gauge your problem-solving skill, they're trying to get a monkey to dance for them.

Exactly this.

I had one interview where, after writing a bash script in front of them, the next interviewer walked in the room, barely acknowledged me, and started writing out this puzzle on the whiteboard (http://puzzles.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/twentyfive.htm). He then explained the puzzle and said "we're going to give you some time to figure it out" and he and the first interviewer literally walked out of the room and stood on the outside of the window looking in with their arms crossed / chins rested on their fist watching me and talking to eachother. I figured out the puzzle, but was ready to walk out of the interview (if I didn't need the job at the time). I ended up turning down the offer.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Update on my uncle involved in the car accident last week:

My uncle has some buckshot and metal fragments in him from a shooting accident about 50 years ago, so anytime he goes in for an MRI they need to sedate him. The hospital apparently didn't bother to look at his medical records and stuffed him in the chamber and he has a major panic attack. They gave him enough medications to drop an elephant and it causes him to start hallucinating. When this happens his mind immediately goes to extreme paranoia and he reverts back to his interrogation resistance training from way back when he was in the CIA and he trashes his hospital room and tries to escape. My mom eventually talks him down over the phone, but being the sneaky gently caress he always was he rips the nebulizer out of the wall and gets ready to bash the head in of the next person to come into his room who's coming to kill him.

Fortunately my cousin comes in the room and manages to talk his dad out of that course of action, all the while speaking in Russian. Eventually my cousin convinces his dad to speak in English again and to take it easy and relax and wait for the drugs to finally exit his system. But my uncle confides that he will kill the next person to come in the room, at which point the doctors suddenly become scarce and the nurses are reluctant to come in the room without my aunt or cousin present. The plan is to send my uncle home, but only if they have an RN there to care for him - fortunately my mom is an RN and is making arrangements to head down as soon as she can arrange things at home.

All in all it's a loving mess. I just want to drop everything here and head down to Oxford, MS and straighten things out, but I've only got 3 days of vacation time accrued and I'm not sure my presence would even help.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
:stare:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:stare:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:stare: sucks, man. Maybe now his hospital bills will be taken care of due to negligence on the staff's part?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nerdrock posted:

One of my biggest regrets is not putting in for their IT manager position that opened up six months ago. (rapidly growing companies that's never had an IT department is a terrifying concept)

edit : also try the Warlock :)

Tell them thank you. My fiancée and I started dating because she threatened to steal my winter supply of it back when it was in super short supply seasonally.

It is a matchmaker and is amazing.

I've tried the warlock, so very delicious.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
My mom finally sent me the picture of the wreck - hadn't realized the car had still been upside down. You can see the black car in the background that hit my uncle's car and forced him off the road.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Daylen Drazzi posted:

My mom finally sent me the picture of the wreck - hadn't realized the car had still been upside down. You can see the black car in the background that hit my uncle's car and forced him off the road.

Holy crap! I hope he comes out without anything permanent from that.

What's with all the dudes in fatigues? Was it some army bros that were all speed racer?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

My assumption is that they were some of the Good Samaritans that stopped to render assistance after the accident.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I've reached the point where I'm about ready to try to convince my boss that: 1) He needs to create an "IT Manager" position for our department, which would be above me and below him, and that 2) He should hire someone (not me) to fill it. This is as opposed to his current plan of having me fill a patchwork portion of IT Manager duties while paying me the market rate of a T1/T2 desktop technician and calling me the Help Desk Manager. I'm woefully underqualified for a lot of what he wants me to do (he mentioned business continuity planning today) and I'm even less interested (I want to work in networking, not IT management). I wouldn't mind being a team lead and handling escalations but that's not an option with our current setup.

More likely to happen is that I get my CCNA and :yotj:.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hands up who is having fun with this Mimecast outage in the US?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Internet Explorer posted:

This has not been a good 24 hours for cloud services.

AWS went down yesterday, taking Netflix, Reddit and Pocket with it.
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/09/20/amazon-web-services-goes-down-taking-netflix-reddit-pocket-and-more-with-it/

Skype went down this morning.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/21/9364511/microsoft-skype-outage

And now Mimecast is down (which has lead to a rather quiet day.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Internet Explorer posted:

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I've reached the point where I'm about ready to try to convince my boss that: 1) He needs to create an "IT Manager" position for our department, which would be above me and below him, and that 2) He should hire someone (not me) to fill it. This is as opposed to his current plan of having me fill a patchwork portion of IT Manager duties while paying me the market rate of a T1/T2 desktop technician and calling me the Help Desk Manager. I'm woefully underqualified for a lot of what he wants me to do (he mentioned business continuity planning today) and I'm even less interested (I want to work in networking, not IT management). I wouldn't mind being a team lead and handling escalations but that's not an option with our current setup.

More likely to happen is that I get my CCNA and :yotj:.

Business Continuity would be something a network/systems admin is heavily involved in regardless of if you have the name "Manager" stapled to you or not. Basically if you think you are there to just beep boop press buttans, you are in the wrong career field. Yer gonna be doing planning for poo poo like this be you a manager or not. If anything I'd say the onus of planning out a business continuity model falls on the systems and network admins, then they hand it to the manager to fight for budget.

Basically you aren't doing yourself any favors.