Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FreezingInferno posted:

You know, of all the bad Doctor Who I have experienced... when I first was going through the McGann audios, I skipped over Minuet In Hell because I had heard such bad things about it.

I think I've seen and heard enough terrible Doctor Who to handle Malebogia and pretty little satin bottoms now.

I don't think Minuet sends anyone here into a rage, it's just miraculously bad. There are plenty of others to do that (Nekromanteia, or in my case, The Rapture), but Minuet is the quintessential Plan 9 story - there were so many setbacks and misfortunes in production that they were solely focused on getting it done at all rather than how much of a mess it was turning out to be.

Rochallor posted:

Delta and the Bannermen is a mostly funny, mostly good serial.

Yesssss, let it all out. Soon we will have new stories to argue over...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
My Discontinuity Guide is signed by Billie Piper.

So, um, that's nice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rochallor posted:

Delta and the Bannermen is a mostly funny, mostly good serial.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched the Moon Base. Perfectly serviceable serial, very well paced. It's a Good Cyberman story and didn't involve them being ridiculous at all. It has a brilliant line from the second Doctor that I'm surprised doesn't come up more often. "There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Been finally getting into Doctor Who after years and years of carrying nothing but disdain for it. So far I've only seen Eccleston's season and the first two episodes of David Tennant's stuff. Today I watched Vengeance on Varos and Revelation of the Daleks cause I really want to listen to the sixth doctor audios. Really bummed that these two serials are Six's 'best' from his televised run cause they were... not good. But enjoyable anyways. There's a lot of stuff to explore here and it's been really fun finding more about all the different doctors, especially 8 through the Storm Warning audio. Need to get around to watching his movie at some point. Hopefully I'll be caught up with the reboot by the time all the new episodes have aired.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

I just watched the Moon Base. Perfectly serviceable serial, very well paced. It's a Good Cyberman story and didn't involve them being ridiculous at all. It has a brilliant line from the second Doctor that I'm surprised doesn't come up more often. "There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."

That line actually gets quoted a lot when people mention Joseph Lidster :)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

When I was getting my buddy into Big Finish, I replaced "Minuet in Hell" with "The Light at the End" and that went very well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Burkion posted:

I just watched the Moon Base. Perfectly serviceable serial, very well paced.

Agreed. Although there are much better BUS episodes in Troughton

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

apophenium posted:

Been finally getting into Doctor Who after years and years of carrying nothing but disdain for it. So far I've only seen Eccleston's season and the first two episodes of David Tennant's stuff. Today I watched Vengeance on Varos and Revelation of the Daleks cause I really want to listen to the sixth doctor audios. Really bummed that these two serials are Six's 'best' from his televised run cause they were... not good. But enjoyable anyways. There's a lot of stuff to explore here and it's been really fun finding more about all the different doctors, especially 8 through the Storm Warning audio. Need to get around to watching his movie at some point. Hopefully I'll be caught up with the reboot by the time all the new episodes have aired.

Welcome! You're in for a treat as you discover the good and bad. Who among us doesn't remember the first time we saw something like The Ark in Space or Fear Her?

And you can jump right into Six's audios without knowing much about his time on TV either. Start with Evelyn's first story and enjoy the ride.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

There's a new 6 minute prequel, 'The Doctor's Meditation', up on the Facebook page. No sign of it on the iPlayer yet.

I spent a lot of time making flags for this.

The flags are not in it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here comes the Who, it's been a long cold lonely winter.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
US goons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK6b1r8HsVM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn do I hate region locks, they're so stupid and bizarre a thing to have in this day and age.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn do I hate region locks, they're so stupid and bizarre a thing to have in this day and age.

I do believe I said "US goons" :colbert:

For non-Americans who can't watch it, it's just a commercial promoting BBC America's new Sunday morning block of movie versions of Tom Baker serials called 'Breakfast with Baker'.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CaptainYesterday posted:

I do believe I said "US goons" :colbert:

For non-Americans who can't watch it, it's just a commercial promoting BBC America's new Sunday morning block of movie versions of Tom Baker serials called 'Breakfast with Baker'.

But...church...football...hangover recovery...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
that'll be nice to watch before leaving for my weekly smashbros torney

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CobiWann posted:

you'll just miss the pregame shows which...no big loss really.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who loving sucks!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who loving sucks!

- Adolf "Occ" Hitler

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CobiWann posted:

Genesis of the Daleks...The Seeds of Doom...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Getting this written up now while it is still fresh in my head, I'll probably dial way back on the audio chat over the course of the season after this.

Short Synopsis: The 5th Doctor returns to Peladon and discovers arranged marriages, an underground religion, unmarried pregnant deities, and a couple of pissed off dudes who want revenge on the wrong people.

Long Synopsis: Unexplained deaths on the planet of Peladon lead to the discovery of a surprising link between the planet and Erimem of all people. Who is to blame? The ghost of the murdered Queen? Gods angry at the abolishment of the old State Religion? The Royal Family hiding their own dark secrets? An unscrupulous fugitive looking to make a quick buck? The Queen-Mother bitter over her loss of power/prestige? Will a marriage-of-convenience save Peladon or simply make it's ultimate destruction come all the faster? The Doctor seeks answers, Peri attempts to keep a seething Ice Warrior from going over the edge, and Erimem makes an important decision that will end her travels with the Doctor and Peri.

What's Good:
  • The Peladon "cast". Peladon featured twice in Third Doctor television episodes, once with Jo Grant and the second time with Sarah Jane Smith. A return to Peladon in Big Finish doesn't really come as a great surprise, but for me at least it was a pleasant one as I have a soft spot for both those stories, terrible costumes aside. So it's nice to see a return to the setting, as well as a look at familiar (if not necessarily the same) characters. Alpha Centauri is back, his/her high-pitched voice still a trifle annoying but at least not hampered severely by the rather awful (and suggestive!) visual of the costume. An Arcturan and an Ice Warrior are present just as they were in the televised episodes, though not the same characters as from those stories (only Alpha Centauri is that long lived), giving it a nice nostalgic feeling. There are all sorts of familiar elements that help to make the world of the story feel stronger, tied in nicely with the new elements such as the lessening economic power that Peladon wields, the growth of the "new money" Earth, and elements to do with Erimem and surprisingly an otherwise completely unrelated 4th Doctor story - The Pyramids of Mars. Not much time has to be devoted to introducing/explaining the world, allowing the writer (Barnaby Edwards) to focus on the actual plot. This does have its downside of course, in that you need to be familiar with these prior story elements or you could be a little loss... but I figure most Big Finish listeners have probably seen the Peladon episodes more than once.

• Peri. Even though she starts the story seemingly overlooked/left behind in favor of more of a focus on the Doctor and Erimem, she very soon comes into her own. Happily that's something the story does very well, all three of the main cast get plenty of stuff to do/their own little storyarcs going on. Peri's is particularly strong, as she accompanies an Ice Warrior Prince around the royal palace, slowly developing a friendship/respect for him that gets flipped on its ear when he suddenly becomes murderous. The way she talks her way out of the predicament is well handled, and leads to the redemption of the Ice Warrior (once again, we get to see the Ice Warriors as more than just a straightforward Who "monster") as the friendship/respect between them grows ever deeper. While all three of the main cast get their time in the sun, I feel like Peri gets the most interesting individual part, and that's even considering that this is Erimem's last story. Peri's closing line in particular is an absolute hoot, a great comedic turn to end an otherwise somewhat morose ending.

• Erimem's departure. This marks Caroline Morris' last Big Finish story as a regular companion, a development that was kind of given away in the bonus story on the previous release, which technically takes place AFTER this story. So going in it wasn't a matter of if Erimem would leave, but how. For most of the first three episodes, there isn't much to suggest that anything out of the ordinary is going to happen. Though she gets plenty to do, she doesn't at all feel like the focus and nothing seems to be leading anywhere... until the reveal of the main villain of the piece, at which point a lot of little things throughout the story comes together nicely and she gets to stand out a little more. In the end, it is Erimem who comes up with the plan to save the day, once again playing off things introduced earlier in the story, and her decision to do what she does feels very fitting and in keeping with her character. What happens next feels like somewhat of a copout, but given the nature of how many 5th Doctor stories ended, this epilogue actually feels somewhat like a nice change of pace. It does mean, however, that what was a strong in-character ending for Erimem turns into a slightly out-of-character and somewhat awkward departure instead. I say slightly, because previous stories have indicated it was something she was inclined to do (return to a position of authority out of a sense of duty) and it doesn't make the mistake that so many other stories did of having the companion suddenly fall madly in love with some character they barely exchanged words with. Erimem here frankly and openly says she will marry the Prince as a matter of convenience/duty, and her comment that fondness might one day turn into love doesn't sound wistful or as anything more than unexpected bonus - to the last, Erimem stays true to the values and mindset that you might expect of somebody from her time/upbringing.

What's Not:

• Erimem's departure. Given this is her final episode, it's harder to look at it in a vacuum. Her departure should probably be looked at within the context of her entire run with Big Finish, and how she fit in as a companion alongside the 5th Doctor and Peri. Though it was never anything as marked as C'Rizz's tortured run, I did feel like there was always a sense that the Doctor and Peri both were frequently looking for an out, some way to get rid of Erimem and move on without her. An unfair interpretation perhaps, and more likely down to the fact her status as a Big Finish creation meant writers could conceivably tease a departure/death in a way they simply couldn't for Peri. But it does put the ending of this story in a somewhat different light, as the Doctor seems all to eager to move on (repeating a line made by the 8th Doctor in a similar situation) and even Peri seems to be half-hoping that they can just clear out of there at last. The decision for them NOT to stay for the wedding feels odd, I can't exactly see why they'd choose not to be there, it's not like we needed the scene to play out in the audio, they could have agreed and then the next story would have started sometime after the fact. I don't think it was intentional, but I still can't help but feel that they're relieved to get back to the way things were before they met Erimem. That is even odder because half the time Peri and Erimem actually had excellent chemistry together and had a pretty great dynamic of sisterly affection for each other, and particularly enjoyed teasing the rather put-upon Doctor. But then you'd run into any number of times where either Peri or the Doctor started dropping less than subtle hints that maybe Erimem would like to leave now and they'd go on without her. Again, I don't think this was in any way intentional, but the way the stories were put together by various writers ended up painting the idea of a picture that wasn't really there.

• The end episode's heavy exposition. Throughout most of the story, things happen and the listener is kept informed by the context of the dialogue in conjunction with the sound effects. But in the final episode, suddenly we jump back 100 stories to the time when Big Finish just had the characters yell narration of what was happening because they weren't sure how to convey that information otherwise. The final battle with the main villain of the story is particularly guilty, as during a flurry of activity we get multiple characters yelling things like,"Oh well done you did the thing!" "Oh no now this other thing is happening!" "Quickly, go do the thing, okay great you've done it, oh but look now the baddie is doing this, we better duck before we get hit by that, phew that missed us, let's do this! Now we're doing it!"

• The red herrings. Throughout the story, multiple red herrings are thrown up as to what might be behind the troubles besetting Peladon. Some of these tie into later events and have some relevance, but others are there purely for the sake of being red herrings, with perhaps the most blatant being the Arcturan attempting to run an illegal mining operation under the noses of the authorities. That subplot gets significant time and attention with plenty of moments where one character or another speaks to themselves in sinister tones suggesting some deeper game is being played.... and then it just ends. A bunch of people die, somebody gets captured and then.... nothing. It goes nowhere and has only the most cursory impact on the actual main plot (the revelation of some writing providing the link between Earth and Peladon). In the end, it feels more like filler, only there to pad out the running time. Considering this story has returned to the 4 episode format that's kinda funny, because cutting out the subplot and reducing the story to a 3 episode structure would probably have made the plot feel tighter.

Final Thoughts:

The Bride of Peladon sees a welcome return to a familiar setting, and does a good job of crafting a main plot where everything eventually comes together in a way that makes sense, even if it isn't always obvious as events are happening. Some of the supporting characters are a little unpleasant, annoying or frequently foolish, and some of them are rather concernedly treated effectively as props, particularly the victims of the main villain. But the three main cast members all get a good chance to shine and make use of their time in the sun. There seems to be a slightly troubling endorsement of the idea of "royal blood" being naturally superior to "peasant" blood until you consider the nature of one of the Royals (she is the daughter of an elected King), making the idea just that - an idea - the villain is effectively affected by their own prejudices/some form of psychic block. This is a story that crosses the fine line of enjoyable continuity references that enhance but don't alienate and,"You pretty much need to have seen the stories this is referencing for it to really work". That means if you've never seen the requisite Pertwee stories (and to a lesser extent a Tom Baker story as well) you're probably going to be rather lost and feel little to no investment in the characters and the events of the story. As a final story for Erimem, it mostly works in keeping in character and doing her good service, and oddly ends up giving Peri a chance to shine on her own.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who loving sucks!

Ahem, I think you will find that actually, Doctor Who rules.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerusalem posted:

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

thrawn527 posted:

Content not found. So yeah, I guess it's country blocked.

I found a 2 minute prologue on the BBC America Facebook page.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Doctor's Meditation will be on ABC2 in like ten minutes for Australians. I presume it'll be on iView after.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I've never felt shame before. Why start now?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fairly sure this series isn't going to have Missy running around in a string bikini and torn pantyhose for absurdly contrived reasons, though?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gaz-L posted:

Fairly sure this series isn't going to have Missy running around in a string bikini and torn pantyhose for absurdly contrived reasons, though?

No, just Jenny sat around in her underwear instead.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gaz-L posted:

Well no, but she did say

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who loving sucks!

PUNISHED TOXX
~A Reluctant Lover Of WHO~

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who loving sucks!

Jerusalem posted:

Kids, kids! You're both right!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boy the last series was noooooot good, I hope this one is better!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The last series was good, though.

EDIT: In retrospect, that was pretty low effort, so I'll also say that I'm really excited to see in what direction they'll go with Capaldi's Doctor and Clara. I hope they don't overdo it with so many two-parters, but considering how stuffed the first episode looks, that's probably not a warranted fear.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 19, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hakkesshu posted:

It had a handful of good episodes, which was a big step up from some years!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It had a handful of good episodes, which was a big step up from some years!!!

It had a pair of fantastic episodes, a couple decent ones, one or two that were dumb but entertaining, and just one utter turd that shouldn't have been made.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It had a pair of fantastic episodes, a couple decent ones, one or two that were dumb but entertaining, and just one utter turd that shouldn't have been made.

That's pretty much correct. I tried to stay awake during Listen, but no luck.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Neddy Seagoon posted:

doctor_who.txt

BSam posted:

That's pretty much correct. I tried to stay awake during Listen, but no luck.

listen was great though??

when does the new episode air? really soon, right?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hakkesshu posted:

Nah it was ok

Pesky Splinter posted:

PUNISHED TOXX
~A Reluctant Lover Of WHO~

Also this was an excellent post

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

EccoRaven posted:

when does the new episode air? really soon, right?

7.40 pm in the UK. So in about 50 minutes, right after pointless celebrities. Which I would argue is far from the worst lead in Who has had, but thematically isnt a patch on that thing with the nightmarish robot rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All I know is if the Doctor says something about how Vaccines are the devil and make people sicker, I'm going to have to seriously question why I still watch this show.

• Locked thread