Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Every single one of those monitors looks like the colour balance/brightness/contrast is hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Thief posted:

I need to buy the Mig-21 already... such a perfectly stylin' performance to difficulty ratio

That's the one module I paid full price for, and I don't regret it for a second. :getin:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I am however jealous of the goflight modules. Can I get a closer look?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I'm never going to be good at helicopters :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Megadyptes posted:

I'm never going to be good at helicopters :(

It's not upside down, you're already half way there!

(Helicopters are hard. Keep at it.)

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

loving vortex ring states always get me. That and I can't maintain a hover for poo poo. Once I get going things tend to be pretty decent, landing can be a loving pain though. I was just chasing a train along in DCS (:spergin:) and noticed a bridge coming at me very fast, managed to just somehow scrape under it which felt pretty loving badass. game crashed before I could save the replay or take a screenshot of that though :(

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Unless bridges don't have collision boxes like half of everything else in the game.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
They do. Ask me how I know!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Megadyptes posted:

That and I can't maintain a hover for poo poo.
How do you do it?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

By wildly overcompensating and generally poor rudder controls which leads to sliding all over the shop. Practices makes perfect I guess, that or just load up some FSX chopper with terrible physics

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think it's tough on sim controls. It's touchy in real life to begin with, but then you reduce the physical travel of your input by orders of magnitude and it's even worse.

I've flown with guys who have no issues at all with it, I think I'm just old and not as coordinated as them. The US government trusts me to fly real aircraft and yet I goof up in sims all the time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I think it's tough on sim controls. It's touchy in real life to begin with, but then you reduce the physical travel of your input by orders of magnitude and it's even worse.

This is extremely relevant. When I extended my warthog, my hovering got better immediately. The peripherals we have do not reproduce actual aircraft controls very well.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Just take time with the huey, itll come to you and you'll be throwing it around and hot dropping troops in no time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

This is extremely relevant. When I extended my warthog, my hovering got better immediately. The peripherals we have do not reproduce actual aircraft controls very well.

Same, except I bought the force sensing stick saitek used to have. Set max force to 50N and I get stupid amount of "travel", it's really great.

e: Just make sure when extending the stick to have some sort of hard limit to travel or you'll break it. Extra lever breaks a joystick really really quick. Don't ask me how I know (:rip: logitech wingman)

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 9, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

X55 is really easy to extend with the right tools/parts.

And good news for Saitek peeps on Win10: we finally have beta drivers

http://madcatz.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/604/0/windows-10--saitek-hotas-beta-drivers-and-software-release

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Well I googled a warthog extension and it turns out they are but £40 in the UK.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Quick question: What's the point of the removable joysticks (HOTAS Warthog, X-55, etc) when the manufacturer doesn't make any other sticks that work with it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Daimo posted:

That's where I got mine. I got the long one.

I was initially just going to make my own, but it turns out that the threads on a warthog are metric, and metric taps and dies in big sizes like that aren't exactly thick on the ground in the states. (My father is a machinist, and laughed when I asked him if he had a metric set that big.)

Buying it from that guy was ~$50 cheaper than getting the right tap and die set, and it includes the right extension cable.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

McDeth posted:

Quick question: What's the point of the removable joysticks (HOTAS Warthog, X-55, etc) when the manufacturer doesn't make any other sticks that work with it?

Either to quickly hide your :spergin: or murder burglars.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Daimo posted:

I have that extension too (I got the short one) and it's really nice.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Daimo posted:

Way to go genius, you broke them.

Edit: site stopped taking orders until sept 12

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 9, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

McDeth posted:

With the X55 it lets them ship it in a smaller box. Also makes access to the centering spring (it ships with 4 different ones) a lot easier.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I bought a 10cm extension 18 months ago of some ED forums guy in Poland for a little over £70. It really is excellent, and was worth every penny,... until I saw this one for £40 :/

Still, at the time it was the only metal one available, so it was that or a PVC pipe DIY job that I'd no doubt cock up.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Thread size for the Warthog appears to be M36x2.0 from what I can find elsewhere, for if anybody wants to have their local machine shop make them a extension or if you have a machinist friend.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey what holds the record for longest time between pre-order and shipping the pre-order bonus. either it's Star Citizen or.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgSpMzf5-8o

(The Nevada test range was a pre-order bonus for DCS:A-10c)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey what holds the record for longest time between pre-order and shipping the pre-order bonus. either it's Star Citizen or.....

I dunno about preorder *bonus*, but I doubt anyone's going to top DNF on preorder-to-game any time soon. They set quite a high bar. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Can't wait to JDAM the Hoover dam.

Hi NSA!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Is Nevada still free for those of us that preordered the A10?

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
The Nevada map is free If you bought the A-10C before February 21, 2011 apparently.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

The Geoff posted:

The Nevada map is free If you bought the A-10C before February 21, 2011 apparently.

Bought it in Feb 2010, scary to think that 5 years ago I was flying in Nevada and now its finally out. :smith:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
What's the gold standard of Prepar3D v2.5 mesh files these days?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Freemeshx probably, not sure how available it is anymore though.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Daimo posted:

Freemeshx probably, not sure how available it is anymore though.

FreemeshX is still easy to get by torrent, there are at least 20 seeders including me :)

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Thanks grabbing that now.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

immelman posted:

FreemeshX is still easy to get by torrent, there are at least 20 seeders including me :)

Top bloke!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So unless someone here has anything super negative to say about the EagleSoft Citation X I'm thinking of buying it.

On the other side of the coin, I'm also looking for itty bitty bush planes. I've heard good things about Flight Replicas Super Cub package except for one thing; off airport taxi behavior is all hosed up. Has anyone used this package recently and know if this is still a problem? I can't find any posts about it more recent than 2012.

If any of you have recommendations for other things (prefferably off field capable and / or amphibious) pipe up, I'm looking for planes.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SibWings AN-2, if you're comfortable with metric instrumentation, no major navigation aids outside of an ADF, and outright comical STOL performance.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Also if anyone wants my terrible rendition of CMN5 / CSH8 in the middle of nowhere Quebec you can get it here.

http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/4fUGNqaO/file.html

The entire model is hosted on the CMN5 file, SH8 is just the parking spots at the dock and the water runway. It also has a fuel box with 100LL and JETA. You can get Canadian charts at https://www.fltplan.com (it's like a shittier version of Skyvector)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

EvilJoven posted:

So unless someone here has anything super negative to say about the EagleSoft Citation X I'm thinking of buying it.

I love the Citation X in general but I had issues getting ES's version to run properly all the time. It has been years but the FMS would gently caress up (possibly my fault but there's precious little documentation for it) and I used to have issues with the throttles returning to idle all on their own and there was nothing I could do about it.

It zooms though, I used to fly it quite a bit and just flipped a coin to see if it'd function long enough to make a flight on any given day. Here's a visual approach I did into Waco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQJuSOWTEt8

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

So many addons have quirks of little things that just don't work which frustrates me so much I always try before I buy now.

Anyway in other news yesterday I saw a post in my RSS feed called Introducing Prepar3D v3. It's password protected and doesn't appear on their news page. There is also a thread on the forum which is locked out. Strange things are afoot.