Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

this is but the second in a long line of modern simulwatches

and I'm looking forward to them but I'll let the other obsessives take up the mass posting slack.

does anyone know what's actually next at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

we're watching some 60's shows i think

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

huh my anime timeline begins with lupin s1 so that'll be way out of my comfort zone. neat!

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 18, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Phone won't automatically embed this, but: https://youtu.be/1tFDsL_mwBY

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

we're watching some 60's shows i think

hope you're there for the gifs and radio spiricom is there for the dank film theory

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Here is the actual schedule I've figured out, that I will post now so people can order/pirate the licensed stuff.
Monday, October 5 - The Little Prince and the Nine-Headed Dragon, Sabu and Ichi Episodes 2 and 3
Wednesday, October 7 - Dororo Episode 1-4, The Flying Phantom Ship
Friday, October 9 - Horus, Prince of the Sun and Mahou Tsukai Sally eps 1-2

here's the list

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oh and in training, I dunno when you're gonna be done with your EE opus but I hope you link it someplace I'll see (maybe the phiz thread?)

pm it to me if you're feeling generous

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 18, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Phone won't automatically embed this, but: https://youtu.be/1tFDsL_mwBY

probably going to be a common reaction :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

oh and in training, I dunno when you're gonna be done with your EE opus but I hope you link it someplace I'll see it (maybe the phiz thread?)

pm it to me if you're feeling generous

It should be sooner rather than later, but, I'm lazy, and I have yet to see a credit roll in MGSV

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and hey maybe you'll get it into this Qs edition of Haruhi Studies :nyoron:

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 18, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Such a good movie. Sad I can't be here this evening. Enjoy, y'all.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Greatly looking forward to watching the movie . . . On Sunday when I get home. :cry:

Enjoy, everyone!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Alright, so, just to make sure I've got the whole thing - the movie opens up with the titles "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" and a Kyon-waking-up POV shot, correct?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Alright, so, just to make sure I've got the whole thing - the movie opens up with the titles "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" and a Kyon-waking-up POV shot, correct?

Yup!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also my area is in danger of losing power tonight...

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I'm gonna watch 00 and Live Alive again to prep. Also, I checked Dissociation and Surprise out from the library. I read the fan translations of the previous books, but was no longer paying attention by the time Surprise came around.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Won't be able to post, but I'll be here in spirit.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm going out for appetizers but please enjoy this excellent movie friends

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kusaru posted:

I'm gonna watch 00 and Live Alive again to prep. Also, I checked Dissociation and Surprise out from the library. I read the fan translations of the previous books, but was no longer paying attention by the time Surprise came around.

A lot of people in this thread have been kind of down on the later LNs, but I think they're still pretty interesting and worth reading.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AnoHito posted:

A lot of people in this thread have been kind of down on the later LNs, but I think they're still pretty interesting and worth reading.

kyon's apparently says "Members who dare to oppose this leader of ours do not exist at all." so it can't be all bad

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

This is my first time seeing Disappearance so I'm psyched

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parallax posted:

Ohhhhhh nice!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Parallax posted:

I've never watched it either, but owing to my own idiocy I did get exposed to a pretty big spoiler for it. Not enough for me to actually know how it goes.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

This is my second time seeing Disappearance but I'm still psyched.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

AnoHito posted:

As far as the light novels go, the show covers all of Melancholy, Sigh, Boredom, and Disappearance, plus parts of Rampage and Wavering. the rest of Rampage is quite good, but I think Wavering is one of the weaker books in the series. The book after that, Intrigues, is probably one of my favorites in the series, so it's a shame that will never be animated. Indignation is a couple nice fluffy stories that break up some of the more serious poo poo that starts going on in the series. Disassociation is hard for me to judge because it leads right into Surprise, which I haven't gotten around to reading and therefore don't know how it wraps itself up. I will say that Disassociation has an interesting gimmick.

I hear the same "the books drop in quality" refrain a lot when discussing the series, but I would say that a lot of that comes from Disassociation not having a real ending and then having a long gap between it and Surprise. Honestly I would say the series has peaks and valleys, but no clear dividing line regarding quality. Then again, I read these things back in 2008, so I can't exactly claim to be an expert on them, plus as I said I still haven't gotten around to reading the newest of the series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

About half an hour out, right? I'm pretty excited!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

As far as the light novels go, the show covers all of Melancholy, Sigh, Boredom, and Disappearance, plus parts of Rampage and Wavering. the rest of Rampage is quite good, but I think Wavering is one of the weaker books in the series. The book after that, Intrigues, is probably one of my favorites in the series, so it's a shame that will never be animated. Indignation is a couple nice fluffy stories that break up some of the more serious poo poo that starts going on in the series. Disassociation is hard for me to judge because it leads right into Surprise, which I haven't gotten around to reading and therefore don't know how it wraps itself up. I will say that Disassociation has an interesting gimmick.

I hear the same "the books drop in quality" refrain a lot when discussing the series, but I would say that a lot of that comes from Disassociation not having a real ending and then having a long gap between it and Surprise. Honestly I would say the series has peaks and valleys, but no clear dividing line regarding quality. Then again, I read these things back in 2008, so I can't exactly claim to be an expert on them, plus as I said I still haven't gotten around to reading the newest of the series.

the problem with the books is that even the first one is not good

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

About half an hour out, right? I'm pretty excited!

hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Watching Working!!! to decompress before the epic movie

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

People who have watched this before: on a scale of 1-10, how awesome will the next two hours be?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also shouts out to anybody who owns a physical copy and can sit through the awesome menu loop

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

People who have watched this before: on a scale of 1-10, how awesome will the next two hours be?

The movie is over 2.5 hours long, and 10.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I was intentionally ignoring the last 40 minutes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

In Training posted:

Also shouts out to anybody who owns a physical copy and can sit through the awesome menu loop

BOTH COPIES were checked out of the library, so I have to suffer with digital.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kusaru posted:

BOTH COPIES were checked out of the library, so I have to suffer with digital.

My apologies. It's also only really good if you've seen it before

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

In Training posted:

The movie is over 2.5 hours long, and 10.

isnt it the longest animated movie ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Glorious...

• Locked thread