Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Grand Declaration of War is a good album tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I haven't gone far back enough in this thread but if there was ever a PYF black metal album cover, this would be my vote.

Elffor - Son of the Shades. It's about as good as the album cover - like they wanted to Summoning worship but couldn't quite figure out how to do it and not make it sound like poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXW_AyLK-dw

They linked to the artist from the video:

http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?ArtID=4759

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I took a nap once to that album and had really hosed up dreams

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I liked Esoteric Warfare, sorry for my bad opinion.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

TollTheHounds posted:

I haven't gone far back enough in this thread but if there was ever a PYF black metal album cover, this would be my vote.

Elffor - Son of the Shades. It's about as good as the album cover - like they wanted to Summoning worship but couldn't quite figure out how to do it and not make it sound like poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXW_AyLK-dw

They linked to the artist from the video:

http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?ArtID=4759

I actually like this album, but the cover is classically terrible. Looking over the artist's page, aside from all the ridiculously awful tits and rear end, I'm amazed that this guy apparently hasn't done any of Graveland's artwork.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
new deafheaven song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMDw5A2eGOU

owns

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What did you guys think of Shining's latest album? I was listening to it this morning and I think it's one of their best tbh. I like how they're moving away from that depressive black metal "wall of sound" and into more melodic and acoustic territory. Halmstad is amazing but a lot of it was just quiet acoustic interludes then a solid punch of pure black sound, I like how on the newest album they play with that loud-soft dynamic so it's more melodic and not as jarring. I'd listen to an entire album of Kvarforth screeching over acoustic guitars if we're being honest.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

holy poo poo

this is the same band that made Sunbather?!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Fantastic

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
They're playing here with Tribulation in November. I didn't really get all the love for Sunbather but that show just got upgraded to a must-go I think.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

COOL CORN posted:

holy poo poo

this is the same band that made Sunbather?!

It's like they listened to criticisms and adapted their style to be harsher.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Spanish Manlove posted:

is this good or bad?

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
The vocals are laughably sibilant and you guys love music for getting maudlin on Hawaiian beaches.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Spanish Manlove posted:

Mmm I would be very loving surprised if Deafheaven gave a poo poo what people thought

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nerve posted:

Mmm I would be very loving surprised if Deafheaven gave a poo poo what people thought

Yeah, they're no Liturgy.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Scrambles posted:

They're playing here with Tribulation in November. I didn't really get all the love for Sunbather but that show just got upgraded to a must-go I think.

Deafheaven are good as gently caress live, clearly not better than Tribulation, but that show is gonna be real good

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

What did you guys think of Shining's latest album? I was listening to it this morning and I think it's one of their best tbh. I like how they're moving away from that depressive black metal "wall of sound" and into more melodic and acoustic territory. Halmstad is amazing but a lot of it was just quiet acoustic interludes then a solid punch of pure black sound, I like how on the newest album they play with that loud-soft dynamic so it's more melodic and not as jarring. I'd listen to an entire album of Kvarforth screeching over acoustic guitars if we're being honest.

I'm actually going to listen to it right now, again (because of this post) but I've already listened to it a couple times and thought it was pretty drat boring compared to some of their more acclaimed albums.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Kvlt! posted:

What did you guys think of Shining's latest album?

It was total crap. Shining (Norway) is the only trv Shining now because saxophones are cvlt. :norway:

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I can't remember if the new(ish) Slægt has come up yet, but it's good. It's real good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjyAQ5krT8

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
So I'm not sure what's going on here but enjoy?
https://theflenser.bandcamp.com/album/valis

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm listening to this old rear end Lithuanian band called Anubi who are pretty weird and it doesn't work that well all the time, but sometimes they sound kind of like Master's Hammer or Amon Goeth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcJ3LohBewY

don't ask me what the sax is doing there though

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
go see Deafheaven, they're pretty much the best live band ever if you get into the groove. I hope they'll tour europe soon again

Just don't forget your black jeans, black combat boots and black longsleeve shirt :v:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Skilleddk posted:

go see Deafheaven, they're pretty much the best live band ever

that's just silly

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

A human heart posted:

that's just silly

Maybe he just meant in his opinion

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Funeral Mist posted:

I'm actually going to listen to it right now, again (because of this post) but I've already listened to it a couple times and thought it was pretty drat boring compared to some of their more acclaimed albums.

I actually had similar thoughts, on my first listen I thought "wow Shining is starting to suck", but that was because I was comparing it to their older, more black metal stuff. Once I listened to it again as an independent album I found it to be amazing. Shining, like any band, is evolving their sound and I personally love the direction it's going in, but it's not similar to old stuff like Through Years of Oppression.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

I actually had similar thoughts, on my first listen I thought "wow Shining is starting to suck", but that was because I was comparing it to their older, more black metal stuff. Once I listened to it again as an independent album I found it to be amazing. Shining, like any band, is evolving their sound and I personally love the direction it's going in, but it's not similar to old stuff like Through Years of Oppression.

I actually like pretty much all of their stuff. I was really into The Eerie Cold, Halmstad, Klagopsalmer, Fodd Forlorare, and Redefining Darkness. I just couldn't get into this one. It didn't have the riffs/song styles I was accustomed to in a Shining record.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

nerve posted:

Maybe he just meant in his opinion

Yeah. I mean I love them, look at my avatar. I've traveled over 800 miles to see them and it was still worth every penny :v:

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
George has pretty great stage presence, but the rest of his band were laughing at kids for showing them the devil horns in Syracuse, so I will hate them forever.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Who in their right mind would throw up the horns at a Deafheaven show though?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I still don't know why Deafheaven are even grouped in with black metal. Maybe it's a case of people oversimplifying genres rather than doing their usual over-complicating and still ending up with a square peg in a round hole anyway. I can imagine some of their crowds end up like the ones Boris used to get - 75% of them have no interest in the songs the other 25% want to hear and the band has no interest in what either of them want to hear.

Either way, throwing the horns is pretty trite and clichéd at most shows. Almost as bad as "all in black, at the back, arms folded, scowling". The latter having the added denigration of being an almost exclusively male tribal pursuit.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

People mostly just throw the horns here if a band is giving a good performance and they like it, not really different from raising your fist or clapping after a song or whatever.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Almost as bad as "all in black, at the back, arms folded, scowling". The latter having the added denigration of being an almost exclusively male tribal pursuit.

there's a guy around here who I saw at the first black metal show I went to, and I assumed he was in a band, but it turns out he just likes to dress in full corpse paint and spikes and stuff when he goes to shows.

Speaking of local(to me) bands, Vassafor are in the studio recording their second full length as of today.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

People throw up the horns at the loving Backstreet Boys, dude.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Clit Avoider posted:

Almost as bad as "all in black, at the back, arms folded, scowling". The latter having the added denigration of being an almost exclusively male tribal pursuit.

This is typically me but in a collared shirt and smiling or even nodding my head if the band's good.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Gamma Nerd posted:

Every time I've seen Deafheaven it's been with other metal bands.

The Clit Avoider posted:

I still don't know why Deafheaven are even grouped in with black metal. Maybe it's a case of people oversimplifying genres rather than doing their usual over-complicating and still ending up with a square peg in a round hole anyway. I can imagine some of their crowds end up like the ones Boris used to get - 75% of them have no interest in the songs the other 25% want to hear and the band has no interest in what either of them want to hear.

Either way, throwing the horns is pretty trite and clichéd at most shows. Almost as bad as "all in black, at the back, arms folded, scowling". The latter having the added denigration of being an almost exclusively male tribal pursuit.

Deafheaven and their label(s) have been marketing the band as "black metal but with a twist" from the beginning. When I saw them in San Francisco years ago they were opening for Marduk, for example. These genre tags might be vastly over-simplified, but Deafheaven have clearly connected themselves to black metal, even if they and critics at times roll their eyes and try to disavow that particular scene.

Also, the horns at metal shows is such a ubiquitous sign of approval in metal that to call it "trite and clichéd" strikes me as a bit silly.

Edit: But to bring us all together with a universally hated target, here's HHH from Liturgy talking about the records he bought at Amoeba or whatever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTMIoBQ8PRM. Spoiler: it's vacuous nonsense.

deadking fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 20, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I have no idea if Hunter is autistic or just an art school student.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
https://nordvis.bandcamp.com/album/heart-of-akamon

A black metal band that evolved out of a predominantly neofolk project, apparently inspired by Native American history, out of West Virginia. It features the Obsequiae drummer, and could easily appeal to fans of that band (or of something like Agalloch or even oldest Borknagar). Definitely in the "pretty" black metal category, like a lot of stuff on Bindrune/Eihwaz & Nordvis. Has some really nice acoustic guitar playing. One of the best things I've heard this year, really.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
They've been great forever, Azimuths To The Otherworld got a good bit of attention years ago. This sooooong https://youtu.be/HMlw_mxgEqM

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Liturgy owns. Every time metalheads whine about Hunter, it puts a little extra swing in my step.

Akitsa owns too. So does Urzeit

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

deadking posted:

Edit: But to bring us all together with a universally hated target, here's HHH from Liturgy talking about the records he bought at Amoeba or whatever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTMIoBQ8PRM. Spoiler: it's vacuous nonsense.

This is why I loved playing basketball so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

try it with a lime posted:

Liturgy owns. Every time metalheads whine about Hunter, it puts a little extra swing in my step.

Akitsa owns too. So does Urzeit

Please, this kvltural appropriation needs to stop.

Akitsa and Urzeit are cool as hell, though.