Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
my dream srw involves all the shows with meaningless judeochristian mytho-technobabble, i will call it super robot wars t but it's important the t never be uppercase because otherwise it won't look like a cross

...there has to be more than just xenogears and eva, like at least four or five eva ripoffs have to fall under that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Tae posted:

Like recent example was Build Fighters. Super easy explanation: make them control from the battleship as they find *insert thing* that makes their gunpla large and functioning.

That's not the actual problem, though. Build Fighters is fundamentally about how everything is a game and there is no real risk of death. If you throw that out you basically either have to completely change the entire story, do some really silly fourth wall stuff, or make everyone look like complete sociopaths.

BF is just the kind of a show where it has to be central to the setting or it doesn't work at all.

EDIT: Mind you, Super Robot Wars Toy Fighting would be the best.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 20, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tae posted:

Space Evas/Xabungle

Also, not sure exactly where I said you have to ignore aspects. Making the Zohar an engine or just kept somewhere within one of the batteships is an easy write-in. I'm talking about "Well, it wouldn't make sense" in regards to Build Fighter.

Anything can make sense, especially with liberal use of dimensionholes.

And they have put in franchises with half-assed story despite being story heavy. Look at all their attempts with Evangelion Rebuild. Or Getter Armageddon just being there in W for no reason other than to be part of a combo attack.

Isn't Getter in W more the Toei Getter team getting Shin Getter instead of G than anything else really(with them using Armageddon's version cause it's the easiest to do a move set for)

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

If you do SRW Toy Fighting just go full fun the way Build Fighters did. Make the pilots just regular people with toys. Keep a few of their traits and keep the setting super fun. Make it a spin off game and bring Ryusei back because he'd be the best for it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And inexplicably put New Getter Robo and Mazinkaiser SKL in just to gently caress with people.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

BlitzBlast posted:

That's not the actual problem, though. Build Fighters is fundamentally about how everything is a game and there is no real risk of death. If you throw that out you basically either have to completely change the entire story, do some really silly fourth wall stuff, or make everyone look like complete sociopaths.

What if they all think it's a really immersive MMO they're playing from another dimension

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
"Sei Iori, do you truly understand the risks and responsibilities that come with becoming an actual Gundam pilot?"

"I'm ready, I marathoned Victory Gundam over the weekend."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The SRW crew tends to fight robots and mindless monsters at the 2nd half of the games anyway, so if killing real people is your issue, it's a really easy problem to solve.

You could also put disabling effects on their attack animations/dialogue, pilots run away, etc. I just think it's silly to never put a good material like Build Fighters because it "doesn't fit," when Sgt. Frog is mass murdering with hatsune miku.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

put build fighters in the same game as bokurano

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Tae posted:

The SRW crew tends to fight robots and mindless monsters at the 2nd half of the games anyway, so if killing real people is your issue, it's a really easy problem to solve.

You could also put disabling effects on their attack animations/dialogue, pilots run away, etc. I just think it's silly to never put a good material like Build Fighters because it "doesn't fit," when Sgt. Frog is mass murdering with hatsune miku.

That isn't it either. There is literally no death in Build Fighters. If anyone, in any of the shows mixed in at all dies, that should completely change up the show's dynamic unless the writing is so spectacularly bad they just ignore it entirely. Sgt. Frog, as comedic as it is, still involves an army of alien invaders trying to conquer Earth. That can work with more serious concepts really easily. Even Hatsune Miku is there because she was in Virtual On.

I mean if they really want to just put Build Fighters in a regular SRW anyways, drat the consequences, I'm sure they'll do it. But personally if they have to bastardize it to get it to work, I'd rather just not see it at all. v:shobon:v

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The easiest way to put in Build Fighters is to just have units only.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

"Sei Iori, do you truly understand the risks and responsibilities that come with becoming an actual Gundam pilot?"

"I'm ready, I marathoned Victory Gundam over the weekend."
Extra bonus points if Sei is either talking to or is near Uso when he says this.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
iirc Fei Yen HD only ever appeared in Project DIVA and as a promotional model so it is still really out of place.

AradoBalanga posted:

Extra bonus points if Sei is either talking to or is near Uso when he says this.

All the extra gundam pilots you can get are saveable because Sei just grabs them and slowly shakes his head before they go fly to their deaths.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excuse me, I believe you'll find that Build Fighters is a serious show. Why, in the sequel, the protagonist ends up in the hospital multiple times due to his robot-related injuries.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The GIG posted:

iirc Fei Yen HD only ever appeared in Project DIVA and as a promotional model so it is still really out of place.

Yeah, Miku's Fei Yen HD is only in UX with the most tenuous connection. She really does only have an alternate costume and a one-off figurine as her justification for being in the game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BlitzBlast posted:

That isn't it either. There is literally no death in Build Fighters. If anyone, in any of the shows mixed in at all dies, that should completely change up the show's dynamic unless the writing is so spectacularly bad they just ignore it entirely. Sgt. Frog, as comedic as it is, still involves an army of alien invaders trying to conquer Earth. That can work with more serious concepts really easily. Even Hatsune Miku is there because she was in Virtual On.

I mean if they really want to just put Build Fighters in a regular SRW anyways, drat the consequences, I'm sure they'll do it. But personally if they have to bastardize it to get it to work, I'd rather just not see it at all. v:shobon:v

Build Fighters already ruined the 'no consequences' line by itself starting from Try, where all the best (or most emotional?) pilots hurt themselves whenever they fight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah but I think we can all agree that we'd rather see Build Fighters in SRW than Try. And even in Try it's just Sekai, and pretty much everyone just glosses over it because of how spectacularly awkward it is.

Although BFT in SRW would be hilarious because Sekai embodies the SRW combat style. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I thought you didn't want Build Fighters period.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

BlitzBlast posted:

Although BFT in SRW would be hilarious because Sekai embodies the SRW combat style. :v:

They already did this joke only unironically in Z3.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, Miku's Fei Yen HD is only in UX with the most tenuous connection. She really does only have an alternate costume and a one-off figurine as her justification for being in the game.

What's amusing about this is Sega skirts the issue of people getting mad by saying it's the sentient original Fei Yen cosplaying as Miku.
This does not help in any way and most VO fans were still mad over it.

Also, according to friends who got the figure, it's pretty bad. It apparently cannot stand on it's own because of the hair and tiny feet.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

They already did this joke only unironically in Z3.

Which one was that?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Miku is great in UX at least, if only for the Fafner finale where she stages a concert in the middle of it and lowers all the Festum's morale.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

Which one was that?

The endgame thing; Traia's speech when she activates it all but spells it out. (There's a more roundabout and less overbearing comparison between it and the Lambda Driver if you look slightly hard.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Tae posted:

I thought you didn't want Build Fighters period.

I want it in, but done well. It deserves it. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Huh, Bandai Namco put up what appears to be the prologue scenes of random chapters from Cross Omega. The title says they're "Unit Quests", so that's a thing.

It is finally Apolly's time to shine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, Chain Chronicles functions the same way where literally every party member has a mini-story to play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Trust me, this is SRW related as hell.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I wonder if any SRW has had someone die that didn't die in canon.

I remember in D, like, someone asks Kamille what happened to the rest of AEUG and he says they're all dead, but Fa, Char, Haman, Bright and Roux are all still around and that's about every secondary pilot that survived through mid UC. Heck, even Astonaige is still kicking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

I remember in D, like, someone asks Kamille what happened to the rest of AEUG and he says they're all dead, but Fa, Char, Haman, Bright and Roux are all still around and that's about every secondary pilot that survived through mid UC. Heck, even Astonaige is still kicking.

Miwa is a big example here. Dude gets Genesis'd in SRWA3 and survives the series. Gil Berg from Dangaioh too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Miwa is a big example here. Dude gets Genesis'd in SRWA3 and survives the series. Gil Berg from Dangaioh too.

I don't think he meant villains

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Well yeah I should've expected that for villains, heh.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

So I beat UX just now, despite getting hosed out of getting Lu Bu Tallgeese and the last stage being a nightmare it's a good game! I ended up using the Fafner, SD gundam and Linebarrel units a lot, and was happy to see the Fafner units not being trash like they were in K, especially Kazuki being my top ace.

Gyra_Solune posted:

In A and maybe J Allenby could die if you didn't do her requirements but that's the only one I can think of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Fuunsaiki dies with Master Asia in A if you don't get the secret to recruit him. But the secret is just 'give Domon 30 kills by stage 21' so it's pretty hard to miss it unless you don't use Domon whatsoever.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kusakabe also dies in every game featuring Nadesico except I think A.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Justin_Brett posted:

Kusakabe also dies in every game featuring Nadesico except I think A.

Add one more to that list with him surviving BX.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Is there a decent story translation for SRW D around? The only one I found is the one on GameFAQs and that only seems to cover one set of routes, and it doesn't even clarify what those route splits are.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Pureauthor posted:

Add one more to that list with him surviving BX.

there's no way in hell they aren't at least making words about a sequel to BX, what with that jerk making it, not using gaogaigar final for some reason, and mister ooh i'm so mysterious i'm gonna show up on the last stage and be some shady time lord buttface

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm playing the first Z now (continuing to play the Z series in complete chaos order) and it's super great but I really miss the ability to put my own soundtrack.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If we continue the trend of 3DS SRW games including a SD Gundam entry, wonder if they'd use SD Gundam Force for the next game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I want to see them use the original SD Gundam shorts. Give me the Gundam Olympics as a stage.

• Locked thread