Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I recently re-installed a DVR thing into my computer (AVerMedia C027 AVerTV HD DVR) that has HDMI and other inputs; I also have a really old VCR that still works. For the first 10-15 years of mine and my sister's life, my mom would record Christmases and Birthdays and whatever else onto VHS tapes which she still has squirreled away somewhere. I would like to get at least some of them transferred to DVDs/a portable HDD for storage reasons, and to give us an easier way to watch them. I've already copied about 15 minutes of an old tape that I had lying around and the card seems to work fine, I'm just not sure what software would be best for something like this. I downloaded Windows Movie Maker to do basic editing; is there something I should look for making DVDs with menus and chapters and whatnot?

Alternatively, should I just skip all that and go to a portable hard drive so it can be easily transferred, copied, watched on a computer, etc.? I should also note that I don't currently have a DVD burner in my computer and would have to buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
If the Avermedia software is working just fine, I would continue to use that to record to h.264.

Sure, copy the resulting files on external HDs, burn them to DVD+R (not as DVD video discs, just files), and upload them all as private videos to your youtube channel (this makes it easier to download smaller, more compressed files later since youtube is doing the conversion for you). That should handle all the archival and extra copies you need.

I wouldn't bother with making DVD video discs with menus and everything, I mean what possible use could you have for those?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

If the Avermedia software is working just fine, I would continue to use that to record to h.264.

Sure, copy the resulting files on external HDs, burn them to DVD+R (not as DVD video discs, just files), and upload them all as private videos to your youtube channel (this makes it easier to download smaller, more compressed files later since youtube is doing the conversion for you). That should handle all the archival and extra copies you need.

I wouldn't bother with making DVD video discs with menus and everything, I mean what possible use could you have for those?

That's true, I imagine most DVD players nowadays would be able to play video files off a disk anyway? Thanks for the suggestions.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's true, I imagine most DVD players nowadays would be able to play video files off a disk anyway? Thanks for the suggestions.

unless it's formatted to be played on a DVD (MPEG1, MPEG2) do not expect the files to be played on every single DVD player out there.

I had a DVD player that could play back DIVX and XVID but the formats it could play back were very very specific.

I am heavily considering doing what was recommended in this thread. Upload everything to youtube and let them do the encoding (hell, probably a lot faster than just a lone i7 and AMD transcoding) and then download all of them using an addon for storage but provide the links to the private video to family members.

• Locked thread