Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Whipcracks are the most inoffensive of the show's notable ticks, but that doesn't mean they aren't annoying once you notice that it won't stop using that sound effect throughout any episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's either that, or they bring back 5 hours of Johnny Test.

This is some serious Sophie's Choice poo poo right here.
I mean, I guess if those are your only two choices, you pick the cartoons that are actually good... but can't they mix it up a little?

It's seems like only in like the last decade or so that TV stations have been shy about airing anything that's older than a couple of years. Even TV Land, the channel that was supposed to be dedicated to all the tinseltown poo poo that was too outdated for Nick At Nite, barely shows any actual old stuff anymore, and Boomerang has pretty much disowned anything not made in the last decade since their rebranding.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 19, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought the whip sound effects were (part of) a cost-saving measure. "We're not actually going to animate things moving, so we'll just pretend everything is moving really quickly."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

raditts posted:

This is some serious Sophie's Choice poo poo right here.
I mean, I guess if those are your only two choices, you pick the cartoons that are actually good... but can't they mix it up a little?

It's seems like only in like the last decade or so that TV stations have been shy about airing anything that's older than a couple of years. Even TV Land, the channel that was supposed to be dedicated to all the tinseltown poo poo that was too outdated for Nick At Nite, barely shows any actual old stuff anymore, and Boomerang has pretty much disowned anything not made in the last decade since their rebranding.

Yeah, it's weird that they're not airing any adventure time or regular show at the moment and they're running we bare bears into the ground. I like the show but there's only like 11 episodes of it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

Throughout the show's run, Rocko's Modern Life used that weird sound effect whenever Rocko walked. The difference is that it was actually, ya know, good.

Also Dee Dee from Dexter's Lab inexplicably making squishy wet sounds with every footstep.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Was talking to a friend and somehow the subject of Generator Rex came up. I saw 2 or 3 random out of order episodes a while back and it seemed...decent.

Been wanting to check it out proper. Worth a watch?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Errr, no? I watched it in its entirety and although there were some parts of it that I liked (I'm a fan of the character Breach) I wouldn't say that it's a very good show. It also ends very abruptly and I found it somewhat unsatisfying.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Wabbit is gonna be airing all week at five.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mr Interweb posted:

Was talking to a friend and somehow the subject of Generator Rex came up. I saw 2 or 3 random out of order episodes a while back and it seemed...decent.

It was a lot like the original Ben 10 in tone, so if you liked that you'll probably enjoy Generator Rex. I remember that they didn't air the last episode during the show's run; I don't know if it was ever released. I do remember being really pissed about that, but that's more of a Cartoon Network issue than anything to do with the series.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

It was a lot like the original Ben 10 in tone, so if you liked that you'll probably enjoy Generator Rex. I remember that they didn't air the last episode during the show's run; I don't know if it was ever released. I do remember being really pissed about that, but that's more of a Cartoon Network issue than anything to do with the series.
I think it was the one with the rock band and Holiday's little sister (wonder if she's the reason it was canned)? It must have been released on digital shops like iTunes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Gaunab posted:

Wabbit is gonna be airing all week at five.

I saw a new commercial for it that said every week day at 5 so I guess they're airing it both here and boomerang but the main channel gets it first?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Generator Rex is really bad. It takes a bunch of really cool ideas and character designs and does gently caress all with them for three seasons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Basically Ben10 without the excuse of being a goofy show for kids.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, 4 shorts for one episode? How many did they make for one season of Wabbit?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Wabbit seems kind of...not good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I liked it. I don't like the trend of uglifying cartoons while making them artistically simpler, but it wasn't too bad in this case.
I saw some commercials for that upcoming new Scooby Doo show though, and god drat is that show loving ugly.

Crabtree posted:

Wow, 4 shorts for one episode? How many did they make for one season of Wabbit?

They'll probably start airing it in different configurations of 15 minute blocks, like they do with pretty much every CN show these days.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I at least liked the bank heist one, but it looks like Wabbit and Be Cool Scooby Doo are following a new animation tone that I hope stays with them. I'm probably going to give less slack to Scooby Doo because it ain't loving Mystery Inc.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, the whole thing had it's heart in the right place but it just felt like a sort of limp imitation of the classic cartoons with some modern flair just sort of thrown in wherever. It reminded me a lot of the last Tom and Jerry reboot (except it was better than that because I can't stand Tom and Jerry in general).

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I liked it. I like the two shorts per 15 minutes; they lasted just long enough. The only thing I'm worried about is the focus of Bugs. I'd like to see more of the other classic Looney Tunes characters.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
gently caress Scooby Doo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

I dunno, the whole thing had it's heart in the right place but it just felt like a sort of limp imitation of the classic cartoons with some modern flair just sort of thrown in wherever. It reminded me a lot of the last Tom and Jerry reboot (except it was better than that because I can't stand Tom and Jerry in general).

I never really liked Tom and Jerry that much either, but I feel like it's one of those properties that's pretty much done. I mean, the entire premise hinges on gratuitous violence, and a lot of cartoons have cut down on violence in general. You can't get a lot of mileage out of that, especially with silent protagonists. And after you start making them talk, well then they're just Sylvester and Tweety but a mouse.

A shame to hear that Wabbit was mediocre though. Maybe Looney Tunes was just lightning in a bottle, a product of its time destined to never be revived.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think the weirdest part of the new Tom and Jerry is that I think I saw like 3 or 4 seperate episodes where it Tom and Jerry in a wierdo noir plot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

It used to be that cable networks appealed to niche audiences and did it well. Nowadays, thanks to the power of rebranding and the compulsive need to appeal to as wide of a swath of an audience as possible, the programming on History Channel, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, MTV, VH1, Syfy, Spike, TV Land etc. wouldn't feel out of place if you put them on channels other than the one that they currently air on.

I'd say this is a bad thing, but with streaming TV services, there's really no reason to get too worked up over it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Y-Hat posted:

It used to be that cable networks appealed to niche audiences and did it well.

Nah, they never did. Very few cable channels made a profit, that's why bundling was and is so rampant.

What you're seeing right now is a collapse of the traditional cable market (where channels = $$$) and reorganizing so that content is what gets revenue. The ability (and expectation ) to play things on demand is also a major game changer

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

It used to be that cable networks appealed to niche audiences and did it well. Nowadays, thanks to the power of rebranding and the compulsive need to appeal to as wide of a swath of an audience as possible, the programming on History Channel, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, MTV, VH1, Syfy, Spike, TV Land etc. wouldn't feel out of place if you put them on channels other than the one that they currently air on.

I'd say this is a bad thing, but with streaming TV services, there's really no reason to get too worked up over it.

I'm not talking about the channels breaking theme to be as generically appealing as possible because that's been going on since the early 2000s if not before, I'm taking about how you can't even see reruns of older stuff that used to air on a given channel anymore, which seems like a more recent thing.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I am amazed that CN plays TTG and WBB on repeat so much. I haven't seen them air an episode of Adventure Time in months. Do they even make episodes for AT anymore? I could've sworn it was their most recognized show.

Does this have something to do with ratings? Like how adult swim airs those abominable McFarlane shows 90% of the time instead of good stuff like Metalocalypse? I remember TTG somehow having super high ratings despite being average as hell most of the time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Skeleton King posted:

I am amazed that CN plays TTG and WBB on repeat so much. I haven't seen them air an episode of Adventure Time in months. Do they even make episodes for AT anymore? I could've sworn it was their most recognized show.

Adventure Time is a senior citizen now by Cartoon Network standards, if that dipshit who introduced the live action block a few years ago and imposed the 52-episode limit was still in charge they probably would have killed it off by now. They're probably pushing it aside in favor of younger, more attractive shows.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

gently caress Scooby Doo.

There's something grotesque about the animation. It looks kind of like Alex Hirsch, but wrong and terrible also.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Does this have something to do with ratings? Like how adult swim airs those abominable McFarlane shows 90% of the time instead of good stuff like Metalocalypse? I remember TTG somehow having super high ratings despite being average as hell most of the time.

TTG is by far their bast-rated show, yeah. WBB gets decent ratings, though the decision to air it so much seems odd to me since there are only thirteen 11-minute episodes out so far. At least with TTG there are over 100 episodes, but with how often WBB airs on some days, they're playing nearly a third of the series in one day.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jack Gladney posted:

There's something grotesque about the animation. It looks kind of like Alex Hirsch, but wrong and terrible also.

Yeah, it looks like what a parody of Scooby Doo would look like on some other, better cartoon.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
In terms of Star vs The Forces of Evil Toffee seems like a weird character, especially in the season finale. I dislike using fanfic terms but he seemed like an evil version of a "Marty Sue" or some other kind of author insert character who comes into a story, does everything right (because he has all available knowledge about the story and setting) and makes the normal protagonists irrelevant. In the end it seems like Toffee has achieved exactly what he set out to achieve despite the spanish unicorn ex machina. It just seemed like a weird note on which to end a season.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

johntfs posted:

In terms of Star vs The Forces of Evil Toffee seems like a weird character, especially in the season finale. I dislike using fanfic terms but he seemed like an evil version of a "Marty Sue" or some other kind of author insert character who comes into a story, does everything right (because he has all available knowledge about the story and setting) and makes the normal protagonists irrelevant. In the end it seems like Toffee has achieved exactly what he set out to achieve despite the spanish unicorn ex machina. It just seemed like a weird note on which to end a season.

Italian unicorn.

And I don't think it was so weird a note to end the season on. From the beginning, Toffee was hinted at being a lot more dangerous than Ludo. The reveal that he had goals opposed to those of Ludo and the hints that he's not finished yet confirms him as a bad guy to be scared of. To have Toffee beaten just he's come into power would have felt weirder, I think.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

That Scooby doo cartoon looks like CAD. Didn't know Buckley was in the cartoon business now.

>B^U

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Velma looks almost exactly like Meg Griffon.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

I'm not talking about the channels breaking theme to be as generically appealing as possible because that's been going on since the early 2000s if not before, I'm taking about how you can't even see reruns of older stuff that used to air on a given channel anymore, which seems like a more recent thing.
If I had to guess why that is, I'd say it's because these cable channels don't see the value in capitalizing on nostalgia, that they think their newer stuff is more important, or both.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

That Scooby doo cartoon looks like CAD. Didn't know Buckley was in the cartoon business now.

>B^U

I thought it was the bastard off spring of Family Guy and Go Animate.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

johntfs posted:

The season finale of Star Vs. The Force of Evil would have been a lot better had it been animated by Mercury Filmworks, rather than Toon City. I could tell there was something epic trying to break out, but it was held back by the low framerate, lackluster effects and poor "acting" (for lack of a better word) from the characters.
The drop in quality between Party Bus and Mewberty was really jarring and something I picked up on right away. I've been consistently disappointed with the second half of the season. If they don't change studios for season 2 (will there even be a season 2?) I don't think I'll be back.

I had such high hopes for this show :(

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

johntfs posted:

In the end it seems like Toffee has achieved exactly what he set out to achieve despite the spanish unicorn ex machina.

:eng101: Italian.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know what it is about We Bare Bears that feels so artificial, but it comes off as someone attempting to create a safe mixture of Steven Universe and Gumball without going too far into either grand narrative or wacky every day world. Maybe it'd feel less forced when they actually push out a season or two to show every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
How does not copying what's popular make it more forced?