Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Red Bones posted:

I love the epilogue because "the person you will be in the future is not determined by what you were like or what you wanted as a teeenager" is a good and true message.

If that were remotely the intention, that'd be fine, but it wasn't. The whole thing was just a complete non sequitur that had seemingly no relation to the characters at all solely to push out a "and they all lived happily ever after" ending without having to bother to think of the steps between the final battle and their future.

I wouldn't have been so annoyed if not for the fact that it followed the pitiful excuse for a final "battle".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Season 2 just, as a story, does not work. There are so many holes, so many problems, so many inconsistencies, it is unfathomable to have it in continuity with season 1. It's why I'm hoping they ARE going to change the epilogue of season 2 with this new Digimon Tri, because nothing about the ending worked. I'm really hoping it has a very hands off approach with season 2 in general, but we'll see when the time comes.

Like, Season 1 isn't some untouchable bastion of perfect writing or anything, but it was consistent and better than it has any right to be considering how low the budget was. A lot of care and effort went into season 1, and very little of the 50+ episode run time is in any way filler. Everything works towards building the plot, building character, or introducing some new Thing that will be important.

The ending of season 2 is just the final cherry of stupid on top of everything wrong with that season. It comes the hell out of nowhere, has the characters be virtually unrecognizable as characters, ignores what was set up about them and instead veers off into whatever the gently caress they drew from a hat, and completely destroys the need for any further stories with these characters. That might be the worst thing about it, it eliminates any possible stories to be told, because we are told that everything was perfect now and everything is perfect and everyone is happy. It's why season 3 had to take a hard right into a brand new universe because that one is just broken.

Hopefully Tri will fix that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
As awful as the ending is, it was something planned for Adventure 1, the jobs and all weren't, but to cap it off with an "And they all lived happily ever after and everything was rad" was part of it.
http://jippy-kandi.tumblr.com/post/53629782203/digimon-adventure-02-epilogue-jobs-matt-sora
(person analyzes a lot of stuff and comes to her own conclusions, but she's also posting translations to twitter QA from the director of both shows)

02 is bad and all, but come on, "unfathomable to have it in continuity with season 1"? Nothing really contradicts stuff from before.

Really, what Tri would most likely do about 02 is make use of how it ended (preepilogue) to build a cool urban sci-fi setting, reference a few things here and there and make it more clear why they'd pick those random rear end jobs. Like what they're doing with TK having a blog and Tai becoming more objective in his way of leading (which the magazine that says that directly says that it's thanks to giving Davis the job of active leader that he could cool down his head), so i'm gonna assume we'll see more of the kids sorta doing stuff that'll lead to their future jobs, specially since they could check on college stuff during Tri.

It's like, 02 is poo poo, just because it's poo poo doesn't mean Tri will be poo poo for taking stuff 02 did and using it to tell a story. Tri will neither retroactively fix 02 somehow, if they make the jobs all the kids get make sense then 02 is still poo poo but Tri is cool if the story of how those kids picked their future professions ends up cool. Like, idk, Phoenix Wright Justice for All is sorta lame, but the following game is excellent and uses a lot of elements and characters introduced in JfA to tell great stories and be fun.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

As awful as the ending is, it was something planned for Adventure 1, the jobs and all weren't, but to cap it off with an "And they all lived happily ever after and everything was rad" was part of it.
http://jippy-kandi.tumblr.com/post/53629782203/digimon-adventure-02-epilogue-jobs-matt-sora
(person analyzes a lot of stuff and comes to her own conclusions, but she's also posting translations to twitter QA from the director of both shows)

02 is bad and all, but come on, "unfathomable to have it in continuity with season 1"? Nothing really contradicts stuff from before.

I could understand an epilogue type of thing if it was a one and done series, which it originally was, though I stand by my statements that such things wreck usable universes unless you want to mess around with time or whatever.

And a lot of stuff actually contradicts stuff from season 1, especially early on. The kids giving up their crests, which makes zero sense and goes against Our War Games, which it also has in continuity, the whole Ryo thing existing and tying that into Ken's entire backstory, the nonsense with Gatomon being so weak, and other stuff that I've brought up before in this thread. The season is a nightmare as far as continuity goes.

Season 2 takes in CD dramas, movies and video games of questionable canon and just shoves them in no matter how little sense they make in the grand scheme of things. Though amusingly the one movie they didn't shove in was their own.

The one neat bit of continuity they did keep was the weird gateway thing and using the Agumon card sending you to another dimension. Sadly that went...very poor directions.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The sad part is, 02 probably would have worked incredibly well as a streamlined 24 or 26 episode single-arc season. Have Ken as the Digimon Emperor for the first 15 episodes til he goes too far and creates Kimeramon which then goes out of control and causes a whole mess of damage which causes Ken to realize that this ain't a game and he should stop being an rear end in a top hat because it's going to get people killed real soon, so he spends the final 10-ish episodes on a redemption arc and helps Davis and co. defeat Kimeramon/Millenniummon in an appropriately big final battle and then call it a day.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A shipping Tumblr that uses the phrase "word of God" to justify their ship sort of sums up what irritates me about Digimon fandom and anything other than the first season (though I hear one of the darker later seasons is alright.)

02 was a waste of perfectly good characters. And the ending made so many people so mad that I don't know why you'd use Tri to make a story to justify that rather than just re-write a "hey, the future is bright!" open-ended conclusion.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

A shipping Tumblr that uses the phrase "word of God" to justify their ship sort of sums up what irritates me about Digimon fandom and anything other than the first season (though I hear one of the darker later seasons is alright.)

02 was a waste of perfectly good characters. And the ending made so many people so mad that I don't know why you'd use Tri to make a story to justify that rather than just re-write a "hey, the future is bright!" open-ended conclusion.

I agree about 02's ending being a bad idea. We wanted to see what's going to happen when the Digital World becomes open knowledge and almost everyone gets a digimon partner. Instead they just skipped to this sickeningly sweet nonsense where the cast have tiny clones of themselves as children in happyland.

As for the later Digimon entries, the best season is the third, Tamers. It was the darkest, but by far the best written of them all. The fifth series, Savers/Data Squad was popular as well even though I didn't like it myself. It's very cliche, but the action is pretty good if you're into punching and yelling. After that, there was X-Ros Wars/Fusion that a lot of people like, though the premise turned me off so quick that I can't say much about it myself.

The remaining two series are best left unspoken.

nine-gear crow posted:

The sad part is, 02 probably would have worked incredibly well as a streamlined 24 or 26 episode single-arc season. Have Ken as the Digimon Emperor for the first 15 episodes til he goes too far and creates Kimeramon which then goes out of control and causes a whole mess of damage which causes Ken to realize that this ain't a game and he should stop being an rear end in a top hat because it's going to get people killed real soon, so he spends the final 10-ish episodes on a redemption arc and helps Davis and co. defeat Kimeramon/Millenniummon in an appropriately big final battle and then call it a day.

Agreed. It could have worked if they'd just had some real focus instead of the seemingly random meandering the story went to after the Digimon Emperor. They could have easily turned the Dark Ocean into enough material to fill two dozen episodes rather than resurrect Myotismon and kill him with such powerful words as "I want to be a baker!"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. It could have worked if they'd just had some real focus instead of the seemingly random meandering the story went to after the Digimon Emperor. They could have easily turned the Dark Ocean into enough material to fill two dozen episodes rather than resurrect Myotismon and kill him with such powerful words as "I want to be a baker!"

Yeah, the whole Dark Ocean thing was an amazingly cool concept and the fact that nothing was ever done with it is probably the thing about 02 that makes me the angriest.

Still doesn't hold a candle to how badly they wasted the premise of Hunters though...

*shudders*

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Yeah, the whole Dark Ocean thing was an amazingly cool concept and the fact that nothing was ever done with it is probably the thing about 02 that makes me the angriest.

Still doesn't hold a candle to how badly they wasted the premise of Hunters though...

*shudders*

I know absolutely nothing about Hunters, what was it that poo poo the bed so furiously?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

You know that early phase Digimon shows have where it's just monster of the week stuff? That ran for 22 episodes and then had two ending ones and it was done. It was the most nothing show. You can check episode 23 to see a sorta decent fight where all the previous protagonists team up and a few other characters do cameo.

Burkion posted:

I could understand an epilogue type of thing if it was a one and done series, which it originally was, though I stand by my statements that such things wreck usable universes unless you want to mess around with time or whatever.

And a lot of stuff actually contradicts stuff from season 1, especially early on. The kids giving up their crests, which makes zero sense and goes against Our War Games, which it also has in continuity, the whole Ryo thing existing and tying that into Ken's entire backstory, the nonsense with Gatomon being so weak, and other stuff that I've brought up before in this thread. The season is a nightmare as far as continuity goes.

Season 2 takes in CD dramas, movies and video games of questionable canon and just shoves them in no matter how little sense they make in the grand scheme of things. Though amusingly the one movie they didn't shove in was their own.

The one neat bit of continuity they did keep was the weird gateway thing and using the Agumon card sending you to another dimension. Sadly that went...very poor directions.

I feel like those are things that can be explained fairly easily and are small, super dumb sure, but not 'canon breaking' like the kids gave up the digicrests after Our War Game, Ryo being included before production knew how bullshit and stupid his story would be, Gatomon's ring thing is stupid but not canon-breaking, just really dumb.

http://digimon-adventure.net/story/
Site updated! If you go to story and let chrome try to translate you get the gist of it.

Basically it's been six years since their fateful adventure, and three since Kari's team defeated Myotismon, then the gate to the digital world was closed and the chosen children don't know why. One day Tai sees loving Kuwagamon and chases after it, reaching an airport runway but then he's like "what do i do i'm all alone??" Greymon bursts in like in the trailer and says "Tai, you became so big!"

Looks like that's how we're gonna keep the 02 kids as just cameos, they ain't getting their digimon back at all for a while.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 17, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Hunters, what was it that poo poo the bed so furiously?

Ok, so while the first season of Xross Wars was pretty bad, the second was actually pretty good. It had decent characters, decent villains, actual stakes, and some good fight choreography. Hunters basically picked up where that left off, poo poo all over it, then rubbed the resulting mess all over the rest of the franchise. Which is too bad because the show really did have everything it needed to succeed.

The basic premise is that after the whole Digimon war a new dimension appeared. From this dimension came new Digimon that would kidnap kids and create a sort of parasitic partnership that they can use to get stronger. Enter out new hero, with the main protagonist and human antagonist from the previous series at his side as the only ones that can stop this new threat.

That's actually a pretty cool setup, but where it got amazing was when it's revealed that this other dimension is actually an amalgamation of every evil Digimon ever. And that a strange old man is rounding up every digidestined from every Digimon series to fight it.

It was a pretty awesome twist. Unfortunately the show does fuckall with it. You basically see a few cameos in the final fight and that's it. It was also painfully boring and it felt like they retooled the thing for an audience of five year olds. Which in a season built on appealing to older fan's nostalgia is pretty :psyduck:

Thankfully the first two seasons wrap themselves up pretty well so you can pretty much just pretend that Hunters never existed.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the animation got lazy as hell as the show went on.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 17, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

readingatwork posted:

Ok, so while the first season of Xross Wars was pretty bad, the second was actually pretty good. It had decent characters, decent villains, actual stakes, and some good fight choreography. Hunters basically picked up where that left off, poo poo all over it, then rubbed the resulting mess all over the rest of the franchise. Which is too bad because the show really did have everything it needed to succeed.

The basic premise is that after the whole Digimon war a new dimension appeared. From this dimension came new Digimon that would kidnap kids and create a sort of parasitic partnership that they can use to get stronger. Enter out new hero, with the main protagonist and human antagonist from the previous series at his side as the only ones that can stop this new threat.

That's actually a pretty cool setup, but where it got amazing was when it's revealed that this other dimension is actually an amalgamation of every evil Digimon ever. And that a strange old man is rounding up every digidestined from every Digimon series to fight it.

It was a pretty awesome twist. Unfortunately the show does fuckall with it. You basically see a few cameos in the final fight and that's it. It was also painfully boring and it felt like they retooled the thing for an audience of five year olds. Which in a season built on appealing to older fan's nostalgia is pretty :psyduck:

Thankfully the first two seasons wrap themselves up pretty well so you can pretty much just pretend that Hunters never existed.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the animation got lazy as hell as the show went on.

I wouldn't call the first season of Xros Wars bad. Very slow to get going and basic, but not bad. Hunters was legit bad though. But Xros Wars gave us DarkKnightmons Debut and his actions in the Deckadramon story, Beelzebumon's debut, Tactimon and Blastmon.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

I wouldn't call the first season of Xros Wars bad. Very slow to get going and basic, but not bad. Hunters was legit bad though. But Xros Wars gave us DarkKnightmons Debut and his actions in the Deckadramon story, Beelzebumon's debut, Tactimon and Blastmon.

XW:S1 has two fatal flaws:

1) The villains generally weren't smart/threatening/powerful enough to be a real obstacle to a hero with a literal army at his disposal.

2) Almost everyone was annoying and/or SO unbelievably stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with your points and enjoyed the season quite a bit. Just... not always for the reasons it's creators intended.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7REghbtW7A

The motherfucking Royal Knights :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The best part of 02's ending was Daisuke getting a job that this lovely excuse of a character deserves.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I won't even mind Daisuke showing up often on Tri if they end up running that job thing to the ground. Like have him always munching on garlics and stuff, in the background always staring at noodles, often running around from eating too many spices in his life-long pursuit of the perfect ramen recipe.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I can't believe I read through 31 pages of what boils down to "X season is better then Y season" but I did and it's like I'm 14 all over again. It's amazing how many people are still so mad about 02 even all these years later.

I just found out about Tri the other day and I'm glad I'm hoping on the hype train now instead of having waited for the bits and bobs of information that they've been putting out since last year. I also went and got the Digimon World Re:Digitize patch and plan on watching the dub since it's on netflix again because gently caress it, lets run this nostalgia train right into the ground and all the way to China.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That must've been pretty nice finding out after the trailer is out, specially since you only gotta wait until this monday for another (voiced) trailer
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-18/digimon-adventure-tri-anime-casts-daisuke-namikawa-yuko-kaida/.93091

Voice actors for "dude that talks to Tai for that one bit in the trailer, and is also a teacher" and "mysterious adult-looking woman" are announced in that link

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Really like how sharp the animation looks on the 'mons. Varied thickness of the outlines and nice shading in motion. Awesome.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ1HyoHXQ-c

The new PV from today.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Holy crap, the digimon look glorious and Alphamon!!!

So how long before we can watch it? a year? :smith:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7_va5mh-GU

This version has more new footage, despite having the same dialogue. I have to wonder why two exist, but anyways...

Translation, taken from great-blaster:

quote:

YAMATO: “Taichi, have you forgotten about what we’ve done in the Digital World and how we fought to save our world and the Digimon?”
TAICHI: “I would never forget!”
[A new adventure begins to turn]
SORA: “Taichi, never mind that, get going already!”
HIKARI: “Ooooh… Takeru-kun is popular with the girls~”
TAKERU: “I’m not popular at all! She’s just a friend!”
[Feelings that pass each other by, and then…]
JOU: “No, it’s all right. I just wanted to listen.”
MIMI: “You’re all nervous because I’ve gotten super cute now, aren’t you!”
KOUSHIRO: “T–That’s not it at all!”
HIMEKAWA: “There is currently not enough information.”
NISHIJIMA: “The next time an infected violent Digimon appears, I may come by to ask for your help again.”
TAICHI: “Agumon. Let’s stop him from going wild.”
AGUMON: “Okay.”
NISHIJIMA: “We’re counting on you, Chosen Children.”

I really hope this gets released and subbed fast because I will not be able to avoid spoilers. I want this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, the bluray (and DVD and iTunes release) will come out on December 18 (almost a month after it comes out on theaters in Japan) so if those don't come with official subs and a way for international viewers to purchase then it'll just take some time for a fansubbing team to do it. Don't think we'll even get to March before watching it subbed

Edit: im wrong, itunes release is on the same day! NicoNico stream before theater release
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-21/digimon-adventure-tri.s-trailer-2nd-teaser-reveal-voices/.93213

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 21, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh I know EXACTLY why I have this boner.

EDIT: More seriously, I absolutely love the animation and lines for the Digimon themselves, even if the art style for the chosen children is still hard to parse at times. So we should expect OVA 1 to at least have Vs Kuwagamon and Vs Alphamon.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Definitely gonna watch Digimon Adventure tri. I've been wanting to see the original eight Digidestined in major roles again for a long time.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Just fyi, Mandarake has the Hikari and Yamato GEM figures on their website if anyone wanted them. Mandarake is a used store, so the boxes have likely been opened.

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/listPage/serchKeyWord?target=00&keyword=digimon

(If the website is in japanese there is a english button in the top right corner)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://kotaku.com/all-240-digimon-i...dium=Socialflow

All the Digimon avaialble on Cyber Sleuth. Far as I can tell this is the first game where all the Demon Lords and the Royal Knight are available as partners. Also, the game will support cross save according to yesterday's stream.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

http://kotaku.com/all-240-digimon-i...dium=Socialflow

All the Digimon avaialble on Cyber Sleuth. Far as I can tell this is the first game where all the Demon Lords and the Royal Knight are available as partners. Also, the game will support cross save according to yesterday's stream.

Finally, Terriermon gets to be involved in something.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
And Renamon. Gonna get that Taomon.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

There are Digimon in this I have never even heard of before. Insane.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Geostomp posted:

Finally, Terriermon gets to be involved in something.

Not only that, Terriermon is one of the three starters.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Black King Numemon is my new favorite. Beats the poo poo out of Platinum Sukamon.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I love this resurgence the franchiae is getting.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

There's no Kerpymon, only Cherubimon (Virtue) :negative:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Cyber Sleuth confirmed for February in America.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

everythingWasBees posted:

There's no Kerpymon, only Cherubimon (Virtue) :negative:

He's preorder exclusive for the Ps4 version

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-launches-february-2-americas

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Oh yeah, over the summer my niece was Mimi for a local convention (sans gloves because it was too hot for that poo poo and also I loving Hate those gloves). Not pictured: my non-existent Togemon costume because that would have been too much work. She is wearing a Palmon backpack though you can't tell at all from this picture :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That's quite adorable, actually.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

phourniner posted:

There are Digimon in this I have never even heard of before. Insane.

There's a lot more where those came from, heck it's a pretty good roster, but if they do a Cyber Sleuth 2 or something, hopefully they can expand it further(I still dream that someday we can get a Digimon game with as complete a roster as possible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New character for Next Order revealed

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/digimon-world-next-order-have-digimon-adventure-tri-linked-content?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

The game will also have linked content with Tri