Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

Just time for a quick recap of the week. Let's start with...

Diqnol, the poor man's Lumpen

Wow. Woooooooow. That's hosed up. I'm twice as smart as that guy and only 80% as mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Just time for a quick recap of the week. Let's start with...

Diqnol, the poor man's Lumpen

I wouldn't compare the two. They're very different.

Diqnol is his own man and I can't really think of a person id compare him to in this community

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Magnus Gallant posted:

I say we all just post pictures of our genitals itt and call it a day

Done and done.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Wow. Woooooooow. That's hosed up. I'm twice as smart as that guy and only 80% as mean.

You guys are equal if anything. Lumpen is very clever.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The fact you don't view something as a barrier doesn't hold more weight than the people who have explicitly cited it as such

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Magnus Gallant posted:

Well when we had a mafia circle jerk thread and a mafia discussion thread the mods didn't like it and the mafia circle jerk thread got gassed which is why it is no more.

The mods didn't like having a crew type thread in tg because if mafia has one then every other group that plays games could have one and that'd take up a large portion of the front page

Also wow this displays the same kind of forgetfulness ecco showed earlier. The mods didn't like it solely because people from the main thread kept reporting it for some reason?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Look Under The Rock posted:

My second point though, is that we CAN make things a little easier. If I were in charge of the OP, I'd add just a couple lines near the top like "we chat about off-topic stuff a lot, don't feel pressure to keep up with every post, skip to the end and add your 2 cents" or something.

Added.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You know, I kind of suspect Taste is being contrarian and playing devil's advocate. Just a theory, crazy I know

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You know, I kind of suspect Taste is being contrarian and playing devil's advocate. Just a theory, crazy I know

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I suspect it so much I'm double posting

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Here's something none of you have yet realized: if there IS a specific cj thread it will get sent to the crew subforum and no longer be in TG. I don't personally care because I use bookmarks but it could gently caress up some of you.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Complaining that this thread is too bloated with off topic stuff is pointless, it's like lovely Wok showing up every 50 pages saying "what did I miss" and disappearing again. If Tuckfard suddenly decided he wanted to come back and chat about death millers, there is nothing stopping him from coming back and posting about death millers. No barrier = no reason to tear it down.

Thank you for the kind words.

I actually agree with this, and it I keep going back and forth on whether the players who are complaining about this thread (who I don't know personally since I only know people who have been around here the past few months) would actually come back to a mafia theory thread. I think the possibility that they would is enticing and worth considering!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And now for our next story let's talk about Kumbamontu, a poster you spend so little time thinking about you didn't even realise his avatar was Mark Wahlberg.

Except it's not, I lied that's actually Quidnose. Kumba's avatar is a cartoon Rorshach.

Except that's a lie too, the Rorshach is Quidnose and Kumba has a potato.

Except he doesn't, that's also a lie and Kumba actually was Mark Wahlberg this whole time!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

The fact you don't view something as a barrier doesn't hold more weight than the people who have explicitly cited it as such

I don't trust people's self-reported reasons for doing things.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Also wow this displays the same kind of forgetfulness ecco showed earlier. The mods didn't like it solely because people from the main thread kept reporting it for some reason?

I posted in the circle jerk thread. I didn't know why it got gassed just knew that it did and assumed the mods didn't like it. Didn't know it was getting reported by the mafia discussion thread peeps

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Opop are you really that self-assured in your opinions that you can't imagine someone sincerely disagreeing with you

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't trust people's self-reported reasons for doing things.

My mind-reading is fuzzy of late, please advise

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

And now for our next story let's talk about Kumbamontu, a poster you spend so little time thinking about you didn't even realise his avatar was Mark Wahlberg.

Except it's not, I lied that's actually Quidnose. Kumba's avatar is a cartoon Rorshach.

Except he doesn't, that's also a lie and Kumba actually was Mark Wahlberg this whole time!

I love that bit because I always fall for it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

It really for real is not a barrier. Did you even read my post? If someone isn't here for the community they can skip this thread entirely and miss absolutely nothing except votefinder news, meta commentary and hey would anyone take a look at my setup. There's no reason the announcement thread should only be games in the sign up stage; Mafia announcements in general could go in there, and the only reason a person could not drop into this thread and ask a question or start a discussion is plainly and simply a perception thing, which could be fixed by adding one or two sentences to the OP.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

I wasn't fooled by the first couple because I love maps but he's just gotten absurd lately.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Opop are you really that self-assured in your opinions that you can't imagine someone sincerely disagreeing with you

You have a bit of a habit of being insincere.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

My mind-reading is fuzzy of late, please advise

:shrug:

It seems obvious to me that "the discussion thread is inaccessible, so I don't play Mafia" makes about as much sense as "these liner notes are inaccessible, so I just won't bother with listening to the album". I don't see how one could possibly affect the other.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

We become even more cliquish than we are now and we turn into the GoT TVIV threads where things being posted in the wrong thread is the topic of conversation every other page.

I'm not sure how you get more cliquish than to say people should just deal with one thread where actual Mafia discussion is drowned out by your mini social network.

Asiina posted:

If someone wants to make a mafia theory thread for the discussion of mafia theory, they are more than welcome to. I will link it in the OP. I will not be closing or moving this thread to another subforum.

Is this what you've been thinking? This is exactly what I've been saying. Let's just make it clear which thread is silly and which thread is Mafia.

You're a lovely example of how easily a motivated new player can assimilate into the community. In the space of playing one game with you, I felt like I knew you a little. You were enthusiastic and involved. You jumped into our community spaces, like the DJ room and conversations in this thread, and you were friendly and fun to talk to. You're my favorite new player in a really really long time.

I have two points in saying this. Bottle got really involved because he wanted to get really involved. You can't force anyone to get more involved than they want to be, and at a certain point, all these "barriers to entry" lose their value if they're broken down -- without so much off topic chat, I wouldn't be half as fond of Bottle as I am. It really is up to a new person to catch onto the way our community works, nobody can do that for them. For example, back in the days where IRC was The Thing, it was really hard to be an active community member if you weren't on IRC. But I never heard any discussion like "we should shut down the IRC channel because it's cliquey/blocking newbies from being involved" even though the IRC crew were the cliquiest people in the community.

My second point though, is that we CAN make things a little easier. If I were in charge of the OP, I'd add just a couple lines near the top like "we chat about off-topic stuff a lot, don't feel pressure to keep up with every post, skip to the end and add your 2 cents" or something.

As for Actual Discussion Of Mafia, the reason we don't need a separate thread is twofold: 1) newbies are not going to discuss new features of votefinder and the wiki, they are not going to have opinions about whether or not death millers have a place in a closed setup, they will not care to reminisce about Harry Potter Mafia. And having a totally separate thread to discuss those things will not pull veterans back in. If they wanted to play games, the new game announcement thread hasn't changed in ages, they could easily get into a game (and really, there's zero reason that thread couldn't be used for quick "hey, I'm writing a NEW GAME please PM me if you're willing to look at the setup" posts). Complaining that this thread is too bloated with off topic stuff is pointless, it's like lovely Wok showing up every 50 pages saying "what did I miss" and disappearing again. If Tuckfard suddenly decided he wanted to come back and chat about death millers, there is nothing stopping him from coming back and posting about death millers. No barrier = no reason to tear it down.

How do you ignore that old timers don't try and keep up because the discussion thread is usually a hot mess of off-topic discussion? You're right that nothing stops them from hitting last page and posting something Mafia related, but how do people who don't care for the mess but want to see the Mafia-related discussion get the chance to see it when they have to play needle-in-a-haystack to find the Mafia chat?

This thread is really terrible if you just want to enjoy Mafia discussion but don't care for the rest of it. There's totally a barrier whether it affects you or not.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It really for real is not a barrier. Did you even read my post? If someone isn't here for the community they can skip this thread entirely and miss absolutely nothing except votefinder news, meta commentary and hey would anyone take a look at my setup. There's no reason the announcement thread should only be games in the sign up stage; Mafia announcements in general could go in there, and the only reason a person could not drop into this thread and ask a question or start a discussion is plainly and simply a perception thing, which could be fixed by adding one or two sentences to the OP.

- People explicitly say "this is an issue"

- "it's not an issue"

welp problem solved!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What is there to discuss about mafia? After a year of playing you've explore it all.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

It seems obvious to me that "the discussion thread is inaccessible, so I don't play Mafia" makes about as much sense as "these liner notes are inaccessible, so I just won't bother with listening to the album". I don't see how one could possibly affect the other.

Good thing that's not even remotely close to what's being stated. Playing mafia =/= joining/engaging in the community and if that indeed was the case this thread wouldn't serve any purpose

Opopanax posted:

You have a bit of a habit of being insincere.

I actually don't, attribution of that characteristic doesn't make it accurate

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Met posted:

Is this what you've been thinking? This is exactly what I've been saying. Let's just make it clear which thread is silly and which thread is Mafia.

I think this thread is both silly and mafia, and that will also be something that won't change even if there is a mafia theory thread.

Met posted:

This thread is really terrible if you just want to enjoy Mafia discussion but don't care for the rest of it. There's totally a barrier whether it affects you or not.

The real question I want answered, Met, is whether you think those people will play mafia again. That is the point of all of this. Do you think people talking about setups and past games and stuff will make them want to play more mafia? I think you are right but I'd like to hear more.

I mean, you only post here occasionally when you want to and you still play/host a lot of mafia.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

I'm not sure how you get more cliquish than to say people should just deal with one thread where actual Mafia discussion is drowned out by your mini social network.

Then once again, make a mafia theory thread that is just for mafia theory. I think policing threads for content is terrible in principle, leads to a whole bunch of inane "you posted this in the wrong thread" discussions, and is never going to be worth the effort.

If you think differently then prove me wrong. Make your thread. I will update the OP with a link to it and say that it is the thread for serious mafia theory discussion, and this thread is more casual, and we'll see how it goes.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
To me any question about mafia that is posted in this thread could either be solved by just using the normal logic and predictive analysis that your own brain can provide and or is super subjective and will vary depending on whos answering.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I promise if we split the thread, no older players would come back because of it.

It's silly if that's all that was holding them back then they were just coming up with any excuse they could not to come back anyway.

They would just come up with another excuse , then another, then another.

If you want to play you will if not then you won't. It's that simple.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think we should have a televised fist fight to decide this issue.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You know what the best part about this thread is? The fact that it gets 100 posts a second and I don't even need to post to keep it at that level yet the moment those same posters are in a game, good loving luck.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Magnus Gallant posted:

I posted in the circle jerk thread. I didn't know why it got gassed just knew that it did and assumed the mods didn't like it. Didn't know it was getting reported by the mafia discussion thread peeps

Sorry for my repeated walls of text on the history of the circlejerk thread, but it is not hyperbolic for me to say that it was my favorite online community of all time and I was very sad to see it go. I think the reasons it existed and the reasons it ended are important for this community to know, those who don't remember the past etc etc.

That thread brought so much sunshine and friendship into my life during a time where I spent like a year too sick to leave my house. I grew very close to a lot of people who hung out there. Then some IRC shitheads brought their vendetta into reporting it and yeah, it eventually was gassed with zero warning, we lost a lot of lovely discussions and collaborative art, and that's when the community started to lose its appeal for me. It was a spiteful petty thing. If that's the veteran group that feels our off topic chat is a barrier to them playing again, I will happily post a buzzfeed every day to keep this thread fun and friendly and anathema to whatever bitter bullshit they want to bring in.

Quote this line and I'll tell you why I think you're adorable.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

You know what the best part about this thread is? The fact that it gets 100 posts a second and I don't even need to post to keep it at that level yet the moment those same posters are in a game, good loving luck.

Your mom

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

is dead, thanks for being an rear end :geno:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Quote this line and I'll tell you why I think you're adorable.

:3:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If another thread is just thrown up without the support of the community it's going to inevitably fail, which is why it's actually fruitful to discuss it and hash out positions

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

I promise if we split the thread, no older players would come back because of it.

It's silly if that's all that was holding them back then they were just coming up with any excuse they could not to come back anyway.

They would just come up with another excuse , then another, then another.

If you want to play you will if not then you won't. It's that simple.

This is a way more concise way of saying what I've been trying to say, thanks Pig.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Cpig, your recently demonstrated ability to cut to the heart of things is totally adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

is dead, thanks for being an rear end :geno:

:(