Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is the thread to discuss the excellent TV shows and films made by Kyoto Animation Studios over the years. This is spurred by the recent Haruhi simulwatch and interest in discussing their other works. The studio is know for their extremely high quality of animation, and when paired with good source material, they have produced some of the best shows and movies in the 21st century. I have seen most of their stuff, but not all. Please post lots of good screenshots and gifs.

Below is a list of every major TV show and film produced by KyoAni. Years indicate seasons of a TV show unless they are indicated as a film. They also did a 5-part ONA called Munto and Munto 2 that I know absolutely nothing about in 2003 and 2005, respectively, along with various ONA spinoffs throughout the years for some of their more popular shows (Haruhi, Chunibyo and Beyond the Boundary).

Collected Works

Full Metal Panic (2003, 2005)

Air (2005)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006, 2009, Film 2010) - Simulwatch thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736160 Enormous imgur albums of screengrabs produced by the simulwatch thread: TV seasons - http://imgur.com/a/UIBc7 Movie: http://imgur.com/a/LsidC

Kanon (2006)

Lucky Star (2007)

Clannad (2007, 2008)

Munto (Film 2009)

The TV version of Munto (lol) (2009)

K-On! (2009, 2010, Film 2011)

Nichijou (2011)

Hyouka (2012)

Chuunibyou (2012, Film 2013, 2014)

Tamako Market (2013, Film 2014)

Free! (2013, 2014, Upcoming film in Winter 2015)

Beyond the Boundary (2013, Film Recap 2015 and Sequel Film 2015)

Amagi Brilliant Park (2014)

Sound! Euphonium (2015)

I will update this later with links to various threads throughout the years, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they're all good

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I love kyoani but their upcoming show sounds very boring

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

I love kyoani but their upcoming show sounds very boring

It's another fantasy action show right? Sigh.. at least it'll look cool. If Beyond the Boundary had one thing it was kickass looking action sequences.

I will still get my hopes up too high probably because it's kyoani.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

they're all good

:yeah:

Excited for the Free! movie, really hoping it has a similar tone to the S2 episodes and not so much actual rivalry

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Haruhi rules. Also, a question I asked in the Simulwatch thread that went unanswered regarding the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya:

So, Yuki steals Haruhi's power to remake the world, setting off the events of the film. ...Is that just a thing she's always been able to do? Or was Haruhi somehow made vulnerable to Power-theft leading up to the events of Disappearance?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i've convinced myself that i've seen all i need to by them (haruhi, lucky star, nichijou, k-on, hyouka) and i want someone to convince me otherwise

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Radio Spiricom posted:

i've convinced myself that i've seen all i need to by them (haruhi, lucky star, nichijou, k-on, hyouka) and i want someone to convince me otherwise

Euphonium is short and really pretty, so go watch that at least.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Radio Spiricom posted:

Stairmaster posted:

they're all good

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

no that's all of them. watch the boundary show if you want pretty animation

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Radio Spiricom posted:

beyond the boundary for the animation

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dick spacious is an ardent tamako market defender, if you like simple romance stories

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Radio Spiricom posted:

Amagi Brilliant Park is hilarious and has pretty girls.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Budget Prefuse posted:

beyond the boundary for the animation
and because the main girl is MY MOTHERFUCKING WIFE!!!! CUTE AS gently caress

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

In Training posted:

Dick spacious is an ardent tamako market defender, if you like simple romance stories

Same, it's a really sweet and cute show

Euphonium is also really loving good and I am desperate for Kyoani to make another season of it

Amagi is funny and I really like how vibrant that show is

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 21, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

euphonium has some of their best animation

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Radio Spiricom posted:

Like everyone else, I will also say to give Euphonium a watch.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the fight scenes are sooo goood

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

the tamako market show is a solid slice of life kyoani show, but watching the show + the movie makes it a whole experience. the movie really allows the more room to explore the characters and flesh them out. Tamako is a good protagonist and it was great to see her grow up and work through those turbulent adolescent years

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Budget Prefuse posted:

the fight scenes are sooo goood

Davincie posted:

euphonium has some of their best animation

drat. ok. i'm a sucker for nice looking anything so i will add both of these to the watchlist and if i end up liking them i will throw amagi and tamako on there as well

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

littleorv posted:

Amagi Brilliant Park is hilarious and has pretty girls.

:yeah:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

beyond the boundary has some fine animation but the story is dreadful

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the writing is extremely terrible but the main girl is so likable i dont understand how anyone could hate her

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

plus shes a *asap rocky voice* FASHION KILLA BANG BANG BOOM BOOM POP POP

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I don't remember any of the plot from Boundary, but I do remember the idol episode and it loving rocked.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i love her so much lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Budget Prefuse posted:

i love her so much lol

I wonder who could have been such a terrible thing...

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Oh my gosh you guys Hyouka is like so good and pretty and awesome look at this gif I made of the cool vertigo shot they did

it's not a very good gif but you get the idea.

I just finished the festival episodes, and the second OP/EDs are so much better than the first ones. The first ED in particular was just... baffling. I really like how the show shifted from mystery of the week style storytelling to the bigger arcs about 6 episodes in. The festival episodes in particular were really compelling in every aspect. This some good animes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah the first ed is awful, second one rules though. i made 2 wallpapers of it if anyone wants

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
KyoAni please give us a Hyouka film that's just an hour and a half of the second ending, thanks.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

yes!! YES!!!

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Repeating the word k-on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Hyouka school festival arc is a thing of beauty

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I turned off Beyond the boundary after 15 minutes because she was a blood magician and summons all this insane mystical badass poo poo and then tripped over a broom and started whimpering and i got mad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But I'm glad someone is posting gifs so I can look at the gifs

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

In Training posted:

I turned off Beyond the boundary after 15 minutes because she was a blood magician and summons all this insane mystical badass poo poo and then tripped over a broom and started whimpering and i got mad
i turn off your posts after seeing your username so that's only fair

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Radio Spiricom posted:

You can't ever see k-on enough times, and I hope you are hype for the simul

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
studio 4c is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Budget Prefuse posted:

i turn off your posts after seeing your username so that's only fair

Harsh but fair.

• Locked thread