Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Quantum of Phallus posted:

+1

Also iOS 9 has a random disappearing keyboard bug with STOCK keyboard when you switch to iMessage from a Notification :bang:

They haven't fixed this in iOS 9? Ugh. It bugged the poo poo out of me in 8 and was hoping it was fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I think the reason why third party keyboards were initially a big deal was because the Apple keyboard felt dated, and lacking options compared to others on other platforms. And if Apple wasn't going to update it, then allow the users alternatives.

My fiancé used swiftkey on her old android phone, and wouldn't even consider an iPhone without it.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

The problem with SwiftKey for the iPhone is that it's different from the Android version in really infuriating ways. For instance, there is no option to have the space bar drop in the next suggested word (it will only drop in the suggested word after you've typed a letter) hence defeating the whole selling point of SwiftKey in my mind. Also, when inserting punctuation by long-pressing the period button and selecting a comma, the keyboard doesn't automatically insert a space afterwords. How the hell does that even make it through testing?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I gave a huge poo poo about the new keyboards last year or whenever it was and then realized the stock one owns and deleted them all.

Same. I really tried to use SwiftKey for like a month

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SwiftKey on android was soooo good and the only reason it's so poo poo on iOS that I can think of ,other than pure laziness , is that Apple wouldn't let it get through the App Store

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Not sure why Apple would bother with external keyboards if the implementation was going to be so glitchy and lovely. Very unapple, pretty sure Steve would have punched someone out when his keyboard crashed.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

EL BROMANCE posted:

I never understood why everyone clamoured for these crappy 3rd party keyboards in the first place. I just presumed they were non-iPhone users trying to find a reason to hate, and because the default android keyboard is (was?) so bad, they presumed the iOS one was shite too.

Not sure why they caved and added them, nobody seems to give a crap.

No one gives a poo poo because the implementation is terrible. I would love to use SwiftKey or Swype if it wasn't utter garbage on iOS.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Also, I think part of the issue with the keyboard (for me at least) was that the prior to the iPhone 6 the keyboard felt cramped due to the smaller size of the iPhone compared to Android devices. The combination of the larger screened iPhones combined with the iOS 8 improvements to the stock keyboard have made third party keyboards less of a requirement. I occasionally miss the ability to gesture type on the iPhone but not often.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Anyone getting spotty wifi performance on 9? Ironically googling it turns up page after page of 'ios 9 fixes spotty wifi'

I've resetted network settings, no dice. full bar wifi still causes web pages to time out

No, in fact 9 did resolve my wifi woes.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Every few months I find that I really want to use TouchPal for its swipe functionality and quick access to punctuation, but I never seem to find myself sticking to it

I think if the keyboard change button in third party keyboards was allowed to bring up your full keyboard list on long-press (so I could have quick access to the emoji and other language keyboards) I'd find myself using it much more often.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Let's not forget Nintype, for those times when you're typing, but really wish you were playing a video game.

EDIT: All this said, with the 6s's doubled RAM, it's entirely possible third party keyboards won't be an abysmal waste of time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is it true that iOS9 has opened up the Quick Reply API that only iMessage had before? I Could swear I saw news that Facebook was getting that. Swipe down to reply instantly is so good (and also... doesn't work with Third Party keyboards very well while we're on the subject ;) )

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Is it true that iOS9 has opened up the Quick Reply API that only iMessage had before? I Could swear I saw news that Facebook was getting that. Swipe down to reply instantly is so good (and also... doesn't work with Third Party keyboards very well while we're on the subject ;) )

Hoping the next update to fb messenger brings this

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Is it true that iOS9 has opened up the Quick Reply API that only iMessage had before?
Yup, this is available on iOS 9.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

5s is fine. It was slow enough after the update but seems better now. The Awful app is actually one of the worst offenders ... You should probably just got with a 6 at this stage though

If he wants the big screen then he should go for the 6, but it's barely any faster than the 5S and has no more RAM. (Arguably less due to the bigger screen.)
It's doubtful that the 6 will have any longer practical working life even if it does get one more OS version than the 5S in say 2 year's time.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 22, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Apparently the Pope is causing iPhone shipping delays this weekend in the New York area :lol:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
no walk in sales for four states:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/no-walk-in-iphone-6s-sales-at-apple-stores-in-4-u-s-states-china-japan-and-hong-kong.1919262/

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm trying to clear my "other" space on my iPhone 4S running iOS 7. Probably a dumb question, but erasing my content and restoring from my saved backup isn't going to make me download iOS 9, right?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm trying to clear my "other" space on my iPhone 4S running iOS 7. Probably a dumb question, but erasing my content and restoring from my saved backup isn't going to make me download iOS 9, right?

If you plan to "restore" you will be required to install 8.4.1 at least, if it's still being signed. Maybe iOS 9...I haven't bothered to check the signing status this round.

Endless Mike posted:

If you do it via iTunes, I'm fairly certain it will pull down the latest update. If you restore from iCloud, I think it will stay with whatever is on there.

You may be right..I'm not sure. Haven't done it that route personally.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 22, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

spongeworthy posted:

If you plan to "restore" you will be required to install 8.4.1 at least, if it's still being signed. Maybe iOS 9...I haven't bothered to check the signing status this round.

gently caress that. I learned my lesson after installing iOS 7 on my 4.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

If you do it via iTunes, I'm fairly certain it will pull down the latest update. If you restore from iCloud, I think it will stay with whatever is on there.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Kaizoku posted:

Does it present no matter where you are and what network you're connected to? If the answer is no, the problem may not be on the phone's end at all.

Also all of those articles you found in the google search are probably just referencing the wifi assist feature, which doesn't fix wifi as much as it subverts it and goes to cellular when not performing properly and the toggle is activated.

I live on uni campus and the wifi is an cisco corporate-type setup. yeah its p funky but I really only started seeing this behaviour after upgrading to ios9

Haven't tried other wifis causes free public wifi isnt really widespread here

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

If you erase all contents and settings from the Settings App, and then through iTunes "Restore from Backup", I'm 85% sure you'll stay on whatever iOS version you're on. I had 8.3 on my iphone 6 and when I did a "Restore from Backup" it kept it on 8.3.

This was last week, before iOS 9 was released, but obviously only 8.4.1 was being signed.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I live on uni campus and the wifi is an cisco corporate-type setup. yeah its p funky but I really only started seeing this behaviour after upgrading to ios9

Haven't tried other wifis causes free public wifi isnt really widespread here

It's possible that the two happening concurrently is just happenstance, but the idea of even trying to diagnose from that setup is...ugh

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So someone got their iPhone early, and of course benchmarked it.

Yeah, it's as fast as a 2015 MacBook. :stare:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/22/iphone-6s-rose-gold-first-delivery/

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Here's a weird iOS9 bug that I can reproduce:

If I have notifications on the lockscreen, and I swipe down to view my notification center, when I swipe notification center back up, all the notifications on the lockscreen are gone.

Is there any place to report this kind of thing to Apple if you're not a developer or whatever? I want to help fix bugs :(

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Yeast posted:

hello i would like to see Android device makers get limp libido at this single-core score and attempt to match it with some kind of frankenstein monster that can actually power through heavy desktop-oriented web browsing content

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

What happened in the past few years to make lots of people think they need to close apps on iOS? Living/working in NYC, I catch a glimpse of lots of people on their phones, and an alarming rate of people are doing this after every time they exit an app back to Springboard.

bawfuls posted:

I've told friends to stop doing this, that it's pointless and doesn't save them any battery life because iOS doesn't allow apps to just run in the background indefinitely, and several have responded that Apple Store people told them to do it.

iOS 7 actually made this behaviour a bit more legitimate, with added background modes an app can run in unless it's been explicitly killed by the user. I don't do it myself or think it's a good idea, but it muddied the water in that we can't definitively say "stop doing it, it's pointless" any more.

unlawfulsoup posted:

OCD seeing all those cards when you double click home.

I've got a friend who does this all the time but also has literally 40,000+ unread emails badged on Mail.app. Boggles the mind.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Froist posted:

iOS 7 actually made this behaviour a bit more legitimate, with added background modes an app can run in unless it's been explicitly killed by the user. I don't do it myself or think it's a good idea, but it muddied the water in that we can't definitively say "stop doing it, it's pointless" any more.

It's still legit behaviour in a lot of circumstances, I don't know why anyone would think it isn't?
If you have an app that can and will do background activity that requires data, and you have a weak signal, it will chew through loads (relatively) of battery boosting the antenna to try to get it done.

The main power saving in iOS9's low power mode comes from it disabling all background activity, and their battery manager now identifies apps sucking battery in the background so you know which ones you might want to be killing when not in low power mode.
It's still a thing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Here's a weird iOS9 bug that I can reproduce:

If I have notifications on the lockscreen, and I swipe down to view my notification center, when I swipe notification center back up, all the notifications on the lockscreen are gone.

Is there any place to report this kind of thing to Apple if you're not a developer or whatever? I want to help fix bugs :(

That's not a bug, that's how it's always been if I recall correctly

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Well if it's not a bug, it's definitely a change in iOS 9 because previously I used to do the same thing all the time (checking my Today View and then quickly swiping it closed) and notifications on the lockscreen persisted. Kind of weird, since I sometimes just leave things on my lockscreen that I know I need to reply to or whatever, not a huge deal. Also, some things do seem to persist, like Reminders, but other (3rd party?) apps are now all clearing.

I've been having a lot of notification weirdness in 9 regardless, sometimes sounds aren't working despite ringer being at max volume, at first I blamed the app but I realize it's happening on more than one app so I don't know. The weird thing is it even works sometimes, but just randomly there will be no sound.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Khablam posted:

It's still legit behaviour in a lot of circumstances, I don't know why anyone would think it isn't?
If you have an app that can and will do background activity that requires data, and you have a weak signal, it will chew through loads (relatively) of battery boosting the antenna to try to get it done.

The main power saving in iOS9's low power mode comes from it disabling all background activity, and their battery manager now identifies apps sucking battery in the background so you know which ones you might want to be killing when not in low power mode.
It's still a thing.

I think they were talking about people religiously closing every single app as soon as they back out of it, not being selective and killing apps known to consume battery/data. E.g. the stock clock, notes, calculator apps aren't going to do anything in the background, it's more the habit people have of killing off everything in the task switcher.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nobody in the world ever used the stock Stocks app

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeast posted:

There's also the proof that the changes to the camera are going to make only slight differences to your average person, and the pictures will still generally look 'meh' unless you have absolute control of your environment.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's also the proof that the changes to the camera are going to make only slight differences to your average person, and the pictures will still generally look 'meh' unless you have absolute control of your environment.

I don't know about that so much, I'm looking forward to being able to crop more tightly and have more data to work with.

That being said, pet photos under 60w globes isn't a great test. Nothing tends to look better than average under those conditions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Those are the kind of photos people take with their phones though.

As I iterated in the thread before, my iPhone will take perfectly fine snapshots wherever I am and it's a good size/quality tradeoff. It's not replacing any real camera I own at all. If I want to take photos I might use for something, I'll take my DSLR even if it's a pain in the arse due to size/weight in comparison.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I bought my iPhone new on ebay last christmas. My cable is cracking up at the end that goes into the iPhone. Can I just walk into an Apple store with this for a free replacement? I remember I did that with my (third-party) Macbook once.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Nobody in the world ever used the stock Stocks app

Maybe you don't, but I do. Sorry about your lack of stock ownership. (Alternatively, congratulations on your complex portfolio requiring more in-depth trading desk apps).

Regarding closing apps, there's one I'll often do it to when done using it: Waze. It doesn't know when to let go in the background. I'll use it on the drive to the train station, get on the train,mans 10 minutes later announce to those nearby on the train with me "POLICE REPORTED AHEAD."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cingulate posted:

I bought my iPhone new on ebay last christmas. My cable is cracking up at the end that goes into the iPhone. Can I just walk into an Apple store with this for a free replacement? I remember I did that with my (third-party) Macbook once.
Yes, your phone is under warranty for a year, so bring a proof of purchase just in case. You might need an appointment depending on how busy the store is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

fordan posted:

Waze. It doesn't know when to let go in the background. I'll use it on the drive to the train station, get on the train,mans 10 minutes later announce to those nearby on the train with me "POLICE REPORTED AHEAD."

Hahahah the exact same thing happened to me on the train, yep. "POTHOLE REPORTED AHEAD." And it's super loud and clear, too, like it's coming from the train itself.