Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Yeah I'm reading Baru Cormorant and it's great so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Also this thread convinced me to try LibreOffice (I'd previously been using OpenOffice) and holy crap its so much faster and more responsive. Thanks!

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Hello selfpub thread!

I managed to write a short 11k word long romance thing just to test out the self-pub world and now it's in the editing-blurb-cover phase.

All this talk about the adult dungeon worries me. How explicit can you get in the romance genre anyway? If there's one awkward Murakami-level sex scene with tasteful words used for penis and vagina, am I already done goofed?

Plus what kind of fonts work for e-books these days? I wrote my first draft in Garamond, but my girlfriend put a veto on it, because she said that serif-fonts are exhausting to read. Is it really like so? I really haven't noticed any difference between fonts in literature unless a book has just a straight-up horrible typeset hack-job with displeasing margins and hand-feel. What do you guys think?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Piano Maniac posted:

Hello selfpub thread!

I managed to write a short 11k word long romance thing just to test out the self-pub world and now it's in the editing-blurb-cover phase.

All this talk about the adult dungeon worries me. How explicit can you get in the romance genre anyway? If there's one awkward Murakami-level sex scene with tasteful words used for penis and vagina, am I already done goofed?

Plus what kind of fonts work for e-books these days? I wrote my first draft in Garamond, but my girlfriend put a veto on it, because she said that serif-fonts are exhausting to read. Is it really like so? I really haven't noticed any difference between fonts in literature unless a book has just a straight-up horrible typeset hack-job with displeasing margins and hand-feel. What do you guys think?

The content of the book doesn't matter as much, it's all about what words you use in the title and blurb and how much skin there is on your cover. From the sounds of it, you should be fine.

I always just write in Times New Roman, but I have to admit it's not something I've ever put too much thought into.

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

The rule for professional graphic design is that large chunks of digital copy text should be sans serif, because it's much easier to read on a digital screen. Smaller details like serifs start to visually clutter the words. Notice how default phone text, regardless of OS or program, is like 99% sans serif? There's a reason for that.

Having said that, I know people who throw absolute shitfits reading anything other than TNR on anything. It's awful, and you don't have to cater to those people, but they do exist.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Bardeh posted:

try and find a deal for Scrivener

The Mary Sue has Scrivener on sale right now for $19.50. (So glad I found somewhere to tell someone about this.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EngineerSean posted:

Anyway the situation with erotica on Amazon is a clusterfuck and I don't think it'll ever be really resolved.
Yeah, i have to apologise for the post a while back saying authors who were miscategorising 'deserved' KU2.0. Now i've seen the difference in figures, and the absolutely haphazard and punishing way they treat authors who try to do it properly, i don't blame anyone who games the system.

I mean they're 50% of the way right now, where if you type in blatantly adult keywords it puts a header over the search results that says some results were hidden, and you can click to see them. If they changed that so it said it was filtering adult results / click here to turn off safesearch, it would be so much better.

Then they'd just need to unfuck the keywords, allow promotions within the erotica category and to not hide the whole thing in a filing cabinet behind a locked door with a sign on it saying 'beware of the tiger.'

People would still try to get smut into legit categories, but i think people would sympathise with amazon a lot more if erotica wasn't such a clusterfuck (and not the good kind).

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 18, 2015

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Perma free, how does it stand right now?

The last time I explored it one had to publish to D2D, set price to zero, and then spam Amazon with "it's cheaper here!" button.

Does this still stand?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I did it about a month and a half ago. I set it at $0 on D2D, waited until it changed on those markets, then I sent Amazon an email through the customer support thing with like three links showing that it was $0 on other markets and asking to price match.

They responded that they couldn't do anything, and then a few days later it was permafree on Amazon.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
It went smoothly for me when I did it back in June. When I sent the email to Amazon I mentioned that it would help generate more sales for the rest of the series.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

How has the Free Ranking held up long term?

I'm seeing some novels with serious permafree sticking power. Pretty encouraging stuff.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
got a small all star bonus for august! thanks amazon.co.uk. the brits sure do like my smut i guess!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

the brotherly phl posted:

got a small all star bonus for august! thanks amazon.co.uk. the brits sure do like my smut i guess!

Congrats!

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
The Amazon page for Kindle romance currently has a huge promo banner advertising 100 romance books at $1.99 each. I know this price point has been considered dead in the past, so I wonder if that's going to change.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blue Scream posted:

The Amazon page for Kindle romance currently has a huge promo banner advertising 100 romance books at $1.99 each. I know this price point has been considered dead in the past, so I wonder if that's going to change.

Not until they offer 70% on it. Until then, it'll continue to be dead.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Blue Scream posted:

I can't speak about this program in particular but when Amazon ssets your price to one ninety nine as part of a Kindle DDaily Deal, they pay you 70 percent on your list price. The price point is sstill dead unless Amazon says we'll pimp your book if you allow us to change your price

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Amazon is hosed and my reports aren't loading and there's no buy buttons on any book pages and I had about $100 worth of promo booked for today and gently caress everything :sigh:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Yeah Amazon's web services are down - no ones going to get any sales for a while, it seems. I work for a shipping company that handles Amazon parcels and we are getting HAMMERED right now since all the people who'd usually call them can't. Sorry about your promotion :(

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Has Amazon always shown ranks for Audiobooks? I'm just noticing it now, dunno if it's part of some change recently or not.

Halbey
Dec 9, 2009
Since we're talking about audiobooks - has anyone tried making one?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Halbey posted:

I put a few samples up on ACX with revenue share, and haven't had any offers yet. Is there a place to find the voice actors and ask them to work on your stuff?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Halbey posted:

Are you asking about making them as in recording them yourself or making them as is having it done by a producer?

I have 30+ audiobooks out and have always done royalty share. Part of the appeal is that I get extra money for work I've already done without having to do any additional effort.

It isn't huge money compared to KU, but it is like free car payment each month.

Halbey
Dec 9, 2009
I was asking about both, Fuzzy Hulk. What you are saying about getting a little extra from something you already put the work in on makes sense to me!

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I've had several produced through ACX. Sales aren't great, and after they switched their royalty rates to a flat scheme really not worth it for me.

I decided to produce my latest book as an audio drama serial instead.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

EngineerSean posted:

I'd like to mention that many of us have tried audiobooks and found their sales to be really dismal. Nobody who makes serious money seems to make any more than 1% of their money from audiobooks. Not only that, but ACX (the company that you're going through) takes 60% of each audiobook sale for themselves just for posting it to Amazon and iTunes, or twice the fee that Amazon takes for eBooks. They don't even seem to promote them at all, but they'll sure as hell discount them as much as they want. I really don't like the current audiobook structure and am waiting for a new retailer that will allow us to control pricing before I jump in with more.

Still waiting for that new retailer, a year later.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Fall is upon us. It's time for me to pimp my covers because I'm broke again and the wolves are howling.

Basically what I'm saying is that I updated my store with new stuff and also moved it to a SquareSpace installation so now it's super dope. Go buy some covers. covers covers

Also huntin' for editing clients, should anyone have need. After editing this last project, a sci-fi romance behemoth at 170k words, I feel I can tackle anything.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

http://blog.oysterbooks.com/

Oyster books is sunsetting their existing mobile reading service.

They say it's because they're focused on the next big thing in mobile reading, but Google's already hired much of their staff.

The competition thins!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Transmogrifier posted:

The Mary Sue has Scrivener on sale right now for $19.50. (So glad I found somewhere to tell someone about this.)

Is this the popular choice around here? Do any of you find it distracting compared to Word or GDocs?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Kramdar posted:

Is this the popular choice around here? Do any of you find it distracting compared to Word or GDocs?

It's great for novels. I don't use it for shorts.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

ravenkult posted:

It's great for novels. I don't use it for shorts.

FWIW I use it for everything. It lets you export directly to .mobi in a format that Amazon loves to grant excessive amounts of KENP to.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kramdar posted:

It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you have it down it's amazing. It's so much easier to keep track of longer stuff, you can outline, plot, sketch characters, and so on. Plus, you can export your file to any ebook format you want once you're done.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I too use Scrivener and love it. Well worth the money, in fact I bought a second copy for my wife. Now that I think of it I have three copies now, another on a laptop.

Word of warning, it doesn't play well with Google Drive or Onecloud. I use Dropbox and don't have any issues.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I love Scrivener and the only thing that would improve it for me is being able to sync poo poo to my google drive.

e: also thanks for the reminder to get Battuta's book! Hell yes!

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

FWIW I use it for everything. It lets you export directly to .mobi in a format that Amazon loves to grant excessive amounts of KENP to.

Is this actually true? I might want to invest in it then if so..

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone had a Booksend promo lately? Happy with the results?

I've got one coming in about a month.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Yooper posted:

Anyone had a Booksend promo lately? Happy with the results?

I've got one coming in about a month.

I haven't booked them in a long time but now that they offer a Pixel of Ink sponsorship (for an extra hundo) I might consider it again.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

That's the one I picked up this time. We'll see how it goes.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

the brotherly phl posted:

Is this actually true? I might want to invest in it then if so..

If you're already getting 150-180 words per KENPC, then Scrivener probably won't do much for you. But if your average is higher than that, then it's probably a good $19 well spent.

https://deals.mac-forums.com/sales/scrivener-2

^^^- For what it's worth, someone on another forum was very upset with Booksends because they're acting like a middleman for PoI I guess. The person booked a promo with PoI and Booksends accepted their payment and told them they were good to go. The day of the promo Booksends tells them that PoI rejected their promo and refunded them.

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 23, 2015

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

^^^- For what it's worth, someone on another forum was very upset with Booksends because they're acting like a middleman for PoI I guess. The person booked a promo with PoI and Booksends accepted their payment and told them they were good to go. The day of the promo Booksends tells them that PoI rejected their promo and refunded them.

It's interesting you mentioned that because I started out looking at PoI, then was redirected to Booksends.. So far everything has been handled by Booksends. I'm assuming I've got both, as I paid for both, and was invoiced for both.

This is on Pixel of Inks website -

edit : It feels like someone bought a mailing list and is melding it into one service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
POI/Booksends has worked well for me, which is good because ENT seems to be losing its mojo and BookBub is so hard to get nowadays.