Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
loving perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Big ups to the crowd for being totally loving dead during Cruz. They al hate him. I love it

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I fuckin hate Ted Cruz

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I fuckin hate Ted Cruz
Looks like Stephen does too :mmmhmm:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"gently caress Ronald Reagan"-Ted Cruz

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

drat Stephen's not holding back

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
LOL Colbert just loving destroyed him

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AHAHAHAHAHA the audience is booing Cruz :golfclap:

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
"Guys, please don't boo him. I'm already doing a good enough job making him look dumb."

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Listen to the Constitution"
"gently caress the SCOTUS"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Holy poo poo, that was about the iciest "thank you for coming" I've ever heard from Colbert.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
That was probably the best presidential candidate interview he's done so far, mostly because it wasn't just him tossing softballs at the candidate.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Fuuuuuuck I turned it off because I can't stand Cruz, sounds like I missed a good thing?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

so i take it this was a warm up for trump tomorrow

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Good for Stephen for calling him on his bullshit. He let him off the hook with that "5 elected judges" bullshit though, but I guess you have to wrap it at some point

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
After that I'm really looking forward to the trump interview tomorrow.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Looks like right after the crowd booo'd colbert was in a rush to end it

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Ryen Deckard posted:

After that I'm really looking forward to the trump interview tomorrow.

I hope he keeps Trump on for the Moniz interview.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm guessing that Colbert is going to mostly treat Trump like a celebrity and joke around with him, but the 20% of the time he talks about policy will be laser-focused.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Well that was a brutal interview I completely did not expect. I'm still a bit surprised at how political the show has turned out to be. Not that I mind, but I figured they wanted the show to appeal to the widest audience possible and would be worried about alienating viewers who really don't want to hear about the election 1+ year away.

Also I highly doubt he'll have this same style of interview with Trump. Colbert rebuked Cruz using very logical arguments, citing historical evidence and facts. Doesn't quite work with someone like Trump

^^^ fake edit: yea, probably best to treat him like a celebrity and do as little as possible to acknowledge him as a viable/political candidate

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
Holy poo poo, that song. "Too much pride" after Ted Cruz.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lu Yan posted:

Holy poo poo, that song. "Too much pride" after Ted Cruz.
I didn't even catch that, gently caress.

I'm sure Cruz did though. He's a clever guy.

Colbert must have something personal against him.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Or he's just trying to figure out how to be mainstream without sacrificing his point of view.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh man the single clap when ted cruz was first introduced in the intro was amazing

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
that was the first interview colbert had that actually made me stop what I was doing and watch it rapt with attention (when I wasn't already watching it exclusively). that was incredible, wow.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

stephen curry's interview was really fun for the show's first sports star interview

im getting nervous about the cruz interview coming

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

dear god colbert mmmmhmmm'd the gently caress out of him the first half

Cruz's handlers must've been ready to pull him if it turned out bad

prolapsed
Sep 9, 2015
gently caress I love Colbert. Tonight's show was the best yet, after the Biden episode.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I think a lot of it is that Cruz takes himself and his policies extremely seriously. He legitimately sees himself as a politician standing up for Good Christian Values.

Trump, while he may be serious, is ultimately a showman first and foremost, as he has always been a showman. I'm sure Colbert will have a few good questions for him, but I think you're going to see Trump able to take it in stride and roll with it a little more in his own firebrand way.

All that said, good for Colbert. One of my favorite things about Letterman was that he was a genuinely good interviewer and was not afraid to touch on things that most comedy talk shows wouldn't (remember the Paris Hilton interview?). Colbert's been following that tradition pretty well, and I'm loving it.

e: finally caught up with tonight's. What a great episode from start to finish. The Cruz interview was pretty much what I expected, but it was really professional for Colbert to ask the audience not to boo when they started to. I think he's finding his stride as a late night host as opposed to a character, and it's promising some great things ahead.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 22, 2015

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Trying to watch the Cruz interview on CBS's website. I'm pretty sure I've watched ads for longer than the actual interview. After the 1st ad break it started to replay the first ad it played while also playing Colbert's video in the background underneath the ad. This is why people pirate things, CBS.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't had any problems with CBS's player recently. Like even now I have Adblock disabled and I see zero ads after the first one.

prolapsed
Sep 9, 2015

Strange Quark posted:

I haven't had any problems with CBS's player recently. Like even now I have Adblock disabled and I see zero ads after the first one.

Same here.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Watching this at work today since I don't have cable or tv or an antenna or whatever and that monologue got me goooood

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

All that said, good for Colbert. One of my favorite things about Letterman was that he was a genuinely good interviewer and was not afraid to touch on things that most comedy talk shows wouldn't (remember the Paris Hilton interview?). Colbert's been following that tradition pretty well, and I'm loving it.

Well we don't even have to use Paris Hilton as an example, here's a more appropriate one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYoOPgeTMQc

I don't think it's that hard to make Trump look bad, I mean he's good at bullshitting, but if you call him out on anything real he can't actually give a proper answer

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Spoonsy posted:

"Guys, please don't boo him. I'm already doing a good enough job making him look dumb."

I will say this, I think he legitimately doesn't want his crowd to boo because this person is his guest whatever their disagreements, which is a goddamn gentlemanly thing to do.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

And also because he has to prove his 'not a liberal idealogue' bona fides for mainstream entertainment. I think he was fine with booing on the Report... although it would be hard for his character to scold an audience for booing.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That was a good interview with a bad person.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

I will say this, I think he legitimately doesn't want his crowd to boo because this person is his guest whatever their disagreements, which is a goddamn gentlemanly thing to do.

Yeah, no matter the context, inviting a guest to come to a show and then letting your audience boo him would be a lovely thing to do. He handled that well. I'm just curious what Ted Cruz actually thought he would get out of appearing in the first place.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, no matter the context, inviting a guest to come to a show and then letting your audience boo him would be a lovely thing to do. He handled that well. I'm just curious what Ted Cruz actually thought he would get out of appearing in the first place.

A chance to whine And bitch to his Base about How The LIEberal LAMEstream media Is so biased Against him, And ALSO his close Personal friend God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mo_Steel posted:

Reminds me of the time on the Daily Show where Jon had to tell off the audience the following day for booing John Bolton.