Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Wool dusters are also useful in hot areas, especially for mountain bases I find, because often, things like cooler exhausts can build up indoors and make them awkwardly hot. A plain duster is OK but wool ones work better.

Then again if I play in a hot area I pick the hottest area I can, because I like the temperature mechanic.

The awkwardness of your particular base-planning aside, most world seeds seem to generate hot zones that top out in the mid-high 30's, with heat wave summers that reach about 60. Cloth is indeed ok for that, with a normal quality cowboy hat and duster taking most colonists to about 55 C, and remember it's only during the heat wave they'll need that. That's why I would usually sell off alpaca wool or clothes made from it to make money faster (it has decent value), since cloth is generally good enough for insulation and aside from heat armour, alpaca is otherwise identical to cloth for protection.

However, if you can generate a seed with desert/arid biomes that go past 40 C, then I believe during heat waves they may go into the high 60's or even 70's, which would certainly make wool a more attractive option if you don't have access to useful leather, unless you can make high quality cotton clothes. In the case of arid biomes, though, they usually spawn lots of muffalo whose leather is good enough. Deserts are a bit more hit and miss of course: sometimes they start with a decent amount of camels and boomalopes you can take in hand, and sometimes they have gently caress all.

Geokinesis posted:

Alternatively for armour, download that medieval mod and forge your own chainmail or suits of armour! (Or just kill the people from the medieval faction.)

I have this and I've been thinking about trying a challenge mode with it where I only use power for comms and cooking and smithing, and only use the weapons and armour from the mod (no guns, no turrets).

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

The trade beacon doesn't cover anything other than its own stockpile.

That's why you can't sell corn. You also need a trade beacon in your freezer if you want to sell food in the freezer.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Okay does someone have a guide or a screenshot or something to explain how RedistAir works, because nothing seems to be going through my vents and/or ducts. Explain as you would to a child of low intelligence.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay does someone have a guide or a screenshot or something to explain how RedistAir works, because nothing seems to be going through my vents and/or ducts. Explain as you would to a child of low intelligence.

Put duct intakes in the room with the temperature you want to push out. Put the output ducts in the rooms you want to control the temperature of. Place ducting between points A and B, and set the intake and output ducts to the same channel as the ducting(upper or lower.) Make sure duct intakes and outputs are powered.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Drunk in Space posted:

I have this and I've been thinking about trying a challenge mode with it where I only use power for comms and cooking and smithing, and only use the weapons and armour from the mod (no guns, no turrets).

I reckon it'd be fairly ok, give everyone platemail and either arbalests for the multi shot or long bows for the most range. You might have issues with mechanoids still though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alkydere posted:

Right, broke down and got the game, are there any guides anywhere on how to get started?

this is my usual build order, assuming you're in a moderate temperature area without year round growing season

day one:
-a place to sleep and some beds (build 4 beds, you usually get an extra colonist soon after the colony starts)
-a place to store food and other things that degrade if exposed to the weather
-plant some food
-collect all the emergency meals scattered around the map before they rot away

by the end of the first week:
-a research bench (research stonecutting first)
-power infrastructure, and a sturdy freezer to store food
-a kitchen and common room with a table to eat at
-sandbags and turrets to fortify my base
-plant some cotton to make winter clothes
-also plant a poo poo ton more food

during the second month:
-a warehouse and trading infrastructure (trade beacon and comms panel)
-usually at this point i'll build a geothermal gen and dismantle my wind/solar
-harvest food and cook a bunch of vegetarian simple meals

during the first winter when i can't grow food outside:
-seperate bedrooms for my colonists
-a workshop
-a prison
-a rec room if the common room doesn't serve that purpose
-a hospital
-an armory

wood is a good material to build with at first, but you want to replace it asap because it's weak and flammable. it's fine to build furniture out of wood. stone blocks are the best building material for walls and floors, i'll save my toughest stone (granite is best) for walls and softer stone for flooring. stone and wood floors are the same but stone floors provide a passive beauty boost.

berries are the best food to plant at first, they grow quickly and can be eaten raw. corn can be eaten raw and produces a ton of food, but it takes forever to grow. rice grows real fast but you have to cook it. potatoes grow medium fast and make a ton of food but you have too cook it. i usually plant berries at first, corn to sell to traders, potatoes outside to bulk up food for the winter, and rice when i set up hydroponics

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Skaw posted:

Put duct intakes in the room with the temperature you want to push out. Put the output ducts in the rooms you want to control the temperature of. Place ducting between points A and B, and set the intake and output ducts to the same channel as the ducting(upper or lower.) Make sure duct intakes and outputs are powered.

I think I overlooked this channel thing, that may well be the problem. Thanks for the help :)

One other question, what's the best place to put sculptures? I've been slapping them in my dining room usually, but are bedrooms better? Hallways where everyone will see them?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Mister Adequate posted:

I think I overlooked this channel thing, that may well be the problem. Thanks for the help :)

One other question, what's the best place to put sculptures? I've been slapping them in my dining room usually, but are bedrooms better? Hallways where everyone will see them?

It takes time for the positive thoughts to hit, so place them where the colonists are the most. Personally I prioritize a killer dining room first. Having beer definitely augments this effect not only because the beer gives them positive thoughts, but it keeps them in the dining room longer. From there I put small ones in bedrooms, but only the ones that are giving negative ugly thoughts. Then maybe also in workshops, but that's it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Is there any way to smooth a rock wall into something that doesn't give -2 beauty or should I just be building all my mined-out rooms 2 tiles longer/wider and building a wall in front of the wall?

What size of room do you lot usually give your colonists?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

berries are the best food to plant at first, they grow quickly and can be eaten raw. corn can be eaten raw and produces a ton of food, but it takes forever to grow. rice grows real fast but you have to cook it. potatoes grow medium fast and make a ton of food but you have too cook it. i usually plant berries at first, corn to sell to traders, potatoes outside to bulk up food for the winter, and rice when i set up hydroponics

Worth noting Rich Soil gives a benefit to potatoes (I think?) and you can have them growing at 120% when planted in it.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Overwined posted:

It takes time for the positive thoughts to hit, so place them where the colonists are the most. Personally I prioritize a killer dining room first. Having beer definitely augments this effect not only because the beer gives them positive thoughts, but it keeps them in the dining room longer. From there I put small ones in bedrooms, but only the ones that are giving negative ugly thoughts. Then maybe also in workshops, but that's it.

Prisons are a good place to place scupltures as well, especially if your colonists are slow to clean so that they can offset the blood and dirt. Recruiting has a minimum mood requirement on the prisoner, and a dirty cramped prison can be hell on moods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As of the last alpha if a colonist's bed is in a room which is impressive, it gives the colonist a constant mood buff, as they are considered to "own" an impressive bedroom.

So sculptures are useful for getting this, the buff increases the more impressive the room. Also, eating in an impressive dining room also confers a temporary, but not insigificant buff.

Further, resting in a beautiful (not impressive, beautiful) hospital makes patients happier.

Geokinesis posted:

Worth noting Rich Soil gives a benefit to potatoes (I think?) and you can have them growing at 120% when planted in it.

It gives more of a benefit to rice, however. Potatoes grow better in gravel or weak soil than other plants, but rice grows better in rich soil than other plants, I believe.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Is there any way to change what is growing in a group of hydroponic tables without having to individually click each table (up to 3 times if something is already growing in it) and manually change each bill? I've been experimenting with different crops and it's driving me crazy.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenWing posted:

Is there any way to smooth a rock wall into something that doesn't give -2 beauty or should I just be building all my mined-out rooms 2 tiles longer/wider and building a wall in front of the wall?

What size of room do you lot usually give your colonists?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

BrianRx posted:

Is there any way to change what is growing in a group of hydroponic tables without having to individually click each table (up to 3 times if something is already growing in it) and manually change each bill? I've been experimenting with different crops and it's driving me crazy.

CCL vanilla tweaks adds the ability to do this, although it changes a bunch of other things too which you may or may not like (I think the changes are mostly for the better).

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14172.0

quote:

Neighbourly Growers
Hydroponic basins and plant pots can share growing information with other hydroponic basins and plant pots. No need to select each grower individually when setting everything up.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As of the last alpha if a colonist's bed is in a room which is impressive, it gives the colonist a constant mood buff, as they are considered to "own" an impressive bedroom.

So sculptures are useful for getting this, the buff increases the more impressive the room. Also, eating in an impressive dining room also confers a temporary, but not insigificant buff.

Further, resting in a beautiful (not impressive, beautiful) hospital makes patients happier.

It gives more of a benefit to rice, however. Potatoes grow better in gravel or weak soil than other plants, but rice grows better in rich soil than other plants, I believe.

Woops, yeah rice is what I meant! It really makes a difference as with a modest veg patch you'll be rolling it is so fast during growing season.

Nocor
Apr 13, 2013
I just bought the game, thanks for the mods. Wish me luck

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
When I see a person talk to get the standing with a faction up, I know the percentage that pops up is the percentage of that particular action, well, happened. Either pass or fail. Now, I see it for a prisoner to try to recruit them. Is the percentage meter different, like it's a 23% chance I will succeed, or am I just unlucky and get the 23% chance of failure?

Also the same thing with taming an animal. What percentage is it showing me when I fail? The chance that I will fail, or the chance of actual succeeding?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

IAmTheRad posted:

When I see a person talk to get the standing with a faction up, I know the percentage that pops up is the percentage of that particular action, well, happened. Either pass or fail. Now, I see it for a prisoner to try to recruit them. Is the percentage meter different, like it's a 23% chance I will succeed, or am I just unlucky and get the 23% chance of failure?

Also the same thing with taming an animal. What percentage is it showing me when I fail? The chance that I will fail, or the chance of actual succeeding?

Pretty sure every time you see a chance pop up like that, it means the chance of success.

Nocor
Apr 13, 2013
So I get the whole hunting thing, but I have no idea what to do with the animal now, it's just sitting in storage. Clothing too is like impossible to make

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Nocor posted:

So I get the whole hunting thing, but I have no idea what to do with the animal now, it's just sitting in storage. Clothing too is like impossible to make

You need a butcher's table to have a cook butcher the animal for leather and tasty meat.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Nocor posted:

You build a butcher's table and add a bill to hack animal corpses (and optionally human ones too) into little pieces, netting you leather and meat of said animal (or human).

Ideally you make a little stockpile zone near the butcher's table set to a high priority and only allowing stuff you want to butcher. Then you can adjust the bill to run forever but limit the search radius so it only covers the stockpile, to prevent colonists from running around all over the place trying to butcher stuff. It's generally not necessary to refrigerate that stockpile as the butchering should happen before anything spoils, unless you keep your colonists completely busy with other stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SirViver posted:

It's generally not necessary to refrigerate that stockpile as the butchering should happen before anything spoils, unless you keep your colonists completely busy with other stuff.

I use the manual priorities and make sure my cook's highest priority is always cooking, so he'll drop whatever he's doing to go butcher immediately. Works out well

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I usually make my hunter the butcher so that he kills something, cleans it and makes a couple meals out of it

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I just have my freezer hold bodies and food and have it attached to the kitchen.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

I just have my freezer hold bodies and food and have it attached to the kitchen.

also this

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Is there a way to make colonists avoid deadfall traps? Mine have killed more colonists than raiders over all.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Is there a way to make colonists avoid deadfall traps? Mine have killed more colonists than raiders over all.

Make the area the traps are in forbidden?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Traps in this game seem pretty purposeless. It's not like DF where an enemy will gladly take the trap lined maze to your base instead of just bashing the door down simply because it is "open".

So you either need to trap your primary routes, which just end up with dead colonists, or make very short trap hallways that they WILL take, but the traps do so little damage that it's hardly worth the hassle.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Is there a particular trick to taming things? I have stuff marked for taming, I have someone with high Animals skill, but even if I set Animals to top priority nothing happens.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Azhais posted:

Traps in this game seem pretty purposeless. It's not like DF where an enemy will gladly take the trap lined maze to your base instead of just bashing the door down simply because it is "open".

So you either need to trap your primary routes, which just end up with dead colonists, or make very short trap hallways that they WILL take, but the traps do so little damage that it's hardly worth the hassle.

There are workarounds: colonists seem to avoid routes with traps in them if they can find another path. For example, if you have a perimeter wall with doors in it and an open corridor leading into it lined with traps, raiders usually go for the corridor, whereas colonists tend to use the doors.

Traps can also be used in areas where enemies are likely to go, like spots of hard cover near your defences (though it's probably better to just mine these away in all honesty).

I admit I don't have much experience or success with traps myself, so I'm sure other people have come up with much better ways of using them.

Vasudus posted:

Is there a particular trick to taming things? I have stuff marked for taming, I have someone with high Animals skill, but even if I set Animals to top priority nothing happens.

It might be that you don't have the food you need. Animals are herbivores, carnivores and omnivores, so if for example you want to tame an alpaca (a herbivore), your handlers won't do anything if all you have is meat.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 23, 2015

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Drunk in Space posted:

It might be that you don't have the food you need. Animals are herbivores, carnivores and omnivores, so if for example you want to tame an alpaca (a herbivore), your handlers won't do anything if all you have is meat.

Yeah I figured it out. Turns out that you need berries to tame something.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Drunk in Space posted:

There are workarounds: colonists seem to avoid routes with traps in them if they can find another path. For example, if you have a perimeter wall with doors in it and an open corridor leading into it lined with traps, raiders usually go for the corridor, whereas colonists tend to use the doors.

Traps can also be used in areas where enemies are likely to go, like spots of hard cover near your defences (though it's probably better to just mine these away in all honesty).

I admit I don't have much experience or success with traps myself, so I'm sure other people have come up with much better ways of using them.

The developer also specifically mentioned in the devnotes for traps that enemy factions would remember where traps are and avoid that spot in future raids. I don't know if he kept that in, but my guess is yes.

My suggestion though is if you have spots of hard cover the enemy could use, make a dump zone and put a chunk of stone there. Enemies can't stand still on a chunk, and so they can't use the cover. Dropping chunks on the spots they use is a good way to have cover for yourself that the enemy can't use against you if you fall back. They will get some benefit from being near the chunk but it's no where near as good as hiding behind a solid wall.

Their AI will likely keep moving forward towards you though if they have no good cover. Sometimes it can be good to purposely leave cover for enemy shooters so they stop and start plinking away at your hard cover, giving you time to focus on melee dudes, then fall back to draw their shooters in.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

This is where MD2 is amazing. You simply make two parallel hallways, one filled with traps and turrets and all that fun jazz and the other one is only for your colonists. Throw some mechanical walls on the entrances of the hallways. When you're getting attacked you lock all of your colonists somewhere away from the hallways and then close off the main entrance and open the other two.

The red are the mech walls.

Works pretty well.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Drunk in Space posted:

CCL vanilla tweaks adds the ability to do this, although it changes a bunch of other things too which you may or may not like (I think the changes are mostly for the better).

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14172.0

Thanks! That looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Nocor
Apr 13, 2013

SirViver posted:

You build a butcher's table and add a bill to hack animal corpses (and optionally human ones too) into little pieces, netting you leather and meat of said animal (or human).

Ideally you make a little stockpile zone near the butcher's table set to a high priority and only allowing stuff you want to butcher. Then you can adjust the bill to run forever but limit the search radius so it only covers the stockpile, to prevent colonists from running around all over the place trying to butcher stuff. It's generally not necessary to refrigerate that stockpile as the butchering should happen before anything spoils, unless you keep your colonists completely busy with other stuff.

Thanks. I like the trick with the stockpile.

I've lasted a little while now. I've seen a lot of people with tons of colonists, is it better to spawn where there's mountains so that you can jump in. It feels like I don't have enough hands to do anything. I'm terrified of getting my colonist hurt in fights because they carry my dudes away :(((((((

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tommofork posted:

The developer also specifically mentioned in the devnotes for traps that enemy factions would remember where traps are and avoid that spot in future raids. I don't know if he kept that in, but my guess is yes.

Do they only do that if someone escapes? Because it wouldn't make sense for them to report trap locations to their faction if they're all dead.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Slime posted:

Do they only do that if someone escapes? Because it wouldn't make sense for them to report trap locations to their faction if they're all dead.

You'd be better of jumping on the Rimworld forums or the Reddit thread as the dev checks both and asking indirectly. This is the only reference I could find to it in the devlogs:

quote:

May 13 Started: Enemy factions remember the locations of discovered traps and avoid them in future.

I don't even know if he finished that. :v:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I'vev not messed around with the animal taming yet, but is it possible to breed packs of boomrats to let loose on invaders? they're basically grenades with legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I had a 2 day old chick pretty much single handedly save my entire colony.

Raiders came and tunneled straight for the ancient evil that i had stupidly constructed a sizable portion of my base around. This opened up a bunch of almost instantly dead humans and a centipede with a gattling gun.

The mechaniod absolutely destroyed everyone in the room and made its way into my base.

For some reason it was hell bent on killing this one chick that was slowly trying to escape.
It just couldnt shoot it.

I had 1 guy manage to snipe the mechaniod to death over what must have been a good 7-10 minutes while the rest of my colonists fled to bed before they all bled to death.

That one chick was a hero.