Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Anyone seen this before?

This is in BFSR. All my blocks change direction at the chunk boundaries. I was assuming it was a chisel bug, but it seems to happen to vanilla blocks too.

e: and while I'm moaning about BFSR, the artifice marble is a pain in the rear end, because there's no way to convert the cobblestone back into raw marble, in order to get chisel marble (which is what we really want).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Wolfsbane posted:

e: and while I'm moaning about BFSR, the artifice marble is a pain in the rear end, because there's no way to convert the cobblestone back into raw marble, in order to get chisel marble (which is what we really want).

I don't know about the block rotation, but you might try an Artifice update manually if you want a fix for the marble. I never tried to fart around with marble when I was doing testing, but I know it works in Blightfall, which I assume uses a newer Artifice version. I froze everything in BFSR at the beginning of the summer. You can otherwise wait for me to check it out, which might take a few days to be thorough.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm starting a Blightfall server for a small-ish group of goons.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742198

Post here if you're interested. It'll start in an hour or so.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
edit : whoops.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't know about the block rotation, but you might try an Artifice update manually if you want a fix for the marble. I never tried to fart around with marble when I was doing testing, but I know it works in Blightfall, which I assume uses a newer Artifice version. I froze everything in BFSR at the beginning of the summer. You can otherwise wait for me to check it out, which might take a few days to be thorough.

The marble thing is really really not an issue, I just made a silk touch hammer. It's more something to add to your notes for the next version, if/when. The block rotation is a little more annoying, but I can just use smooth blocks in a few places and I'm sure it'll be fine.

e: and it seems to have fixed itself. Bizarre.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 17, 2015

Musluk
May 23, 2011

So you turned off passive mana regen flower decay in botania? gently caress you, you can't anymore.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
If enough mod users and pack makers disable a "feature" of your mod that you're making the feature mandatory, maybe it's a poo poo feature that nobody likes?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i agree with vazkii, gently caress solar power forever

spamming passive flowers is bad gameplay, especially for a mod whose entire point is to provide frameworks for building complex Rube Goldberg contraptions for automating stuff

people who think dayblooms should last forever are the same people who only ever used solar panels back in the dark ages of IC2 and their opinions are literal buttered garbage

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
And probably soon someone will make a coremod that reverses this change. Modders are awful at learning from the mistakes of others (most of them are teenagers, and none of them are involved enough with how people actually play minecraft). It's funny to see this poo poo replay over and over again, and alarming to consider that Technic is pretty rapidly becoming the institutional memory of modded minecraft.

Look: people overvalue passive generation. They always have. You had motherfuckers back in tekkit classic days building infinite redstone engine daisy chains, spending a month and a half of daily play getting a single HV solar array, while dudes would spend an afternoon making two HP boilers for the same loving energy output. Only it used fuel so you had to refill it every two weeks or whatever, so no way buddy pass the 60 stacks of rubber.

This isn't loving new. The fact that you'd make passive generation that not only stacks infinitely but also requires enough processing per mana that anyone who tries to use it exclusively is guaranteed to lag the server is stupid as hell. Is anyone who's using that many dayblooms dumb as gently caress? Yes, of course. Is it anywhere near the most efficient way of playing? No, of course not. Are they also assholes for making GBS threads on the server they're on instead of taking an hour to make 10x as much mana with endoflames for a fraction of the work? Definitely.

But if you've paid attention at any point over the past 3 years this was 100% expected. Your only solution at this point is to completely rebuild the flower mechanics to remove passive regeneration as a viable option (like buildcraft did with redstone engines) in a way that can't be easily backtracked by a coremodder or come out with "compact dayblooms" where all the idiots who want to use them instead spend all their time doing crafting combines and never actually play the game, preventing themselves from loving up their server. Years later they will remember the time they spent combining dayblooms into more dayblooms as the golden age of modding and their name will be rutibex.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 22, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm finding it hard to care when it's not that difficult to get flowers that actually generate mana worth a poo poo and don't decay

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

30.5 Days posted:

their name will be rutibex.

:gowron:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The correct solution, in keeping with the spirit of the mod, is obviously to build a huge contraption to automate the crafting and planting of dayblooms.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

30.5 Days posted:

But if you've paid attention at any point over the past 3 years this was 100% expected. Your only solution at this point is to completely rebuild the flower mechanics to remove passive regeneration as a viable option (like buildcraft did with redstone engines) in a way that can't be easily backtracked by a coremodder or come out with "compact dayblooms" where all the idiots who want to use them instead spend all their time doing crafting combines and never actually play the game, preventing themselves from loving up their server. Years later they will remember the time they spent combining dayblooms into more dayblooms as the golden age of modding and their name will be rutibex.

:iceburn:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Getting exoflames set up isn't that hard, but I liked the passive regen for stupid hydro setups :shobon:

Guess I'll have to automate my coal production in my regrowth save.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Musluk posted:

Getting exoflames set up isn't that hard, but I liked the passive regen for stupid hydro setups :shobon:

Guess I'll have to automate my coal production in my regrowth save.

At the very least, something needs to happen with the bubbel, it was already stupid how much mana it took to do the totally OP task of "move water", but now that you can't realistically use hydroangeas, something's gotta give.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nolanar posted:

The correct solution, in keeping with the spirit of the mod, is obviously to build a huge contraption to automate the crafting and planting of dayblooms.

This is actually a pretty cool idea :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I understand the value of this change in lowering server lag, and I agree that passive flowers are pretty much universally worse than the active ones, but good lord some of the quotes in that blog post read like a bingo card of terrible minecraft modder quotes. We've got it all; discounting other opinions because "they aren't the target audience", we've got comparing of the mod to Dark Souls, and best of all it culminates in this little gem:

"But mark my words, I’d rather my mod not be played than be played in a butchered state."

Keep that attitude and don't worry, I'm sure you'll get your wish!

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

I understand the value of this change in lowering server lag, and I agree that passive flowers are pretty much universally worse than the active ones, but good lord some of the quotes in that blog post read like a bingo card of terrible minecraft modder quotes. We've got it all; discounting other opinions because "they aren't the target audience", we've got comparing of the mod to Dark Souls, and best of all it culminates in this little gem:

"But mark my words, I’d rather my mod not be played than be played in a butchered state."

Keep that attitude and don't worry, I'm sure you'll get your wish!

Exactly the reason I posted the link.

'Target audience' lmao

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's pretty messed up if most major modpacks were setting it to -1.

I don't mind the option being there, but there's no reason for that.

His solution is pretty dumb too. If it's so important to so many people why not just retool that poo poo. Make them function like a multiblock or pipe network type of thing, where when you place them they chain together with adjacents so on tick it's only 1 calculation instead of n calculations.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Oh god the reddit comments are even better.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Glory of Arioch posted:

This is actually a pretty cool idea :v:

Yeah, I said it as a joke, but then I started thinking about how to do it. Of course I can't even automate a tree farm with my botania/vanilla knowledge, so :v:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Simply amazing. Granted, I don't think I used the passive flowers for any longer than it took to generate the first batch of coal eaters, but yeah, that post is so completely amazing. The backlash and response should be incredible.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Lmao

The change is fine (passive flowers suck and are dumb and bad) but all the MUH VISION poo poo is amazingly bad

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

EricFate posted:

The backlash and response should be incredible.

I see you're new to minecraft modding.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not particularly excited to see another round of indignant nerds getting salty about some inconsequential poo poo

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm not particularly excited to see another round of indignant nerds getting salty about some inconsequential poo poo

You're as excited as the rest of us, considering you're still posting in the minecraft modding thread.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Well, that didn't take long.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if anything i wish that hydroangeas didn't decay. it takes a little effort and space to get a good setup for those going, and i like the way they look. the MOST important part, i find.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

if anything i wish that hydroangeas didn't decay. it takes a little effort and space to get a good setup for those going, and i like the way they look. the MOST important part, i find.

If anything, Some setups require only a few passive flowers to work or don't have the room for active setups and thus having an active setup ruins the point.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If something takes little enough mana to power that a couple dayblooms will keep it happy, you can fill the mana pool in it with a ring of mana then ignore it for like, minimum, a week.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 22, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Everyone who spammed passive flowers will now switch to exclusively endoflames. Then Vaskii will get pissed off at people using dozens of endoflames for power regeneration because all the treefarms are causing lag! So he'll nerf that too. Then people will switch to cake farms for kekimurus and that'll cause a ton of lag because of all the chickens...

Are there any truly low-lag flowers once you have them automated?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Scale your mana production large enough and there will be no such thing as low-lag.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hey, ebeef, how about a big flowers mod?

Big Agriculture?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Ok, finally done with AS2. Got the Tier6 Altar after letting demons run amok in the soul dimension, and triggered the final item on the original list. Turns out I didn't need to work on bees at all. Of course, then I built the item the 'final' quest called for, manually submitted it, and was informed that no-- you actually need to create 100 of them.

Mod pack deleted.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The compact high-power version of flowers will be trees and we will have found the root of all modder hissy fits

it was trees all along!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I cant hate Vazkii for her logic regarding people murdering servers with passive flowers, after all its nothing new! but there's gotta be another fix then pulling the bloody config! :haw:

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Hey, ebeef, how about a big flowers mod?

Big Agriculture?

Blind Duke posted:

The compact high-power version of flowers will be trees and we will have found the root of all modder hissy fits

it was trees all along!

I'm imagining huge trees that have to be hand sculpted that produce mana passively but require things like enriched soil and mineral water nearby. :allears: I want it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

EricFate posted:

Ok, finally done with AS2. Got the Tier6 Altar after letting demons run amok in the soul dimension, and triggered the final item on the original list. Turns out I didn't need to work on bees at all. Of course, then I built the item the 'final' quest called for, manually submitted it, and was informed that no-- you actually need to create 100 of them.

Mod pack deleted.

what, you couldn't make 300 botania runes and 10,000 ordo and auram

scrub

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Big Trees, annoying the community of three magic mods at once

-Regrowing bark that can be used for thaumcraft stuff or botania research
-Tap for flowing blood to help your witchery or mana
-Passive mana generation
-Can modify with soil or hydration systems
-Some kind of gnome system
-Maybe some kind of gear/house inside of the tree/window system perhaps tied in with gnomes
-Trees can murder all plant life around them or spring new plant life to life depending on some factor (probably how much mana you're tapping from it/producing with it - excess mana brings life hard drain kills life)
-Probably some fruit/nut/fudge filled cookie crap
-What else can trees do, you can like get branches that regrow or something sweet

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Trees with keebler elves living inside that makes cookies and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

lol @ anyone who uses dayblooms past getting their first good flower up