Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've bought dozens of flatscreens for my office, but now they're opening a branch in Canada and are asking me to find them some deals there. I tried going on eBay.ca and searching for TVs being sold within Canada (so we'd bypass any kind of customs issues) and the search turns up absolutely nothing. What's up with that? Should I just try to use Amazon.ca or something else instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No idea why but yeah it's always just kind of been that way.

Amazon's okay, but .ca is way worse than .com. There's nowhere good to buy from in Canada.

The selection and prices suck here by the way, enjoy.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Don Lapre posted:

How far away from you from a large town? You can pull channels from 50-100miles with the right antennas and location. Put your info in tvfool or antennaweb. It will show you where to point your antenna and how far away all the towers are.

Thanks, yeah as a kid I was able to pull stations from about 60 miles away, but now I'm on the other side of a bunch of mountains so the closest "big" city is Syracuse, NY and that's blocked by a few mountains and almost 100 miles. If I had an external antenna I might have better luck but an internal i'm stuck with what I can pull from my side of the mountains. antennaweb gave me a hint on where I might get a few more and I haven't looked at tvfool so thanks for that!

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to pull the trigger on the 55" LG OLED. I'll report back after using it awhile.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I'm moving into a new apartment and am looking for a new tv for the living room. I want something that's 40+ inches but under $500. I don't care about extra features like whether or not it's internet-enabled or if it has a smart tv interface; as long as it's cheap and has good picture quality I'm happy. So far this 48" Insignia and this 48" Westinghouse seem like the best options, but if there's a much higher-quality model that costs just a bit more then I'd be willing to get it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My parent's old 50" rear projection TV has a bad convergence board. So I decided to get them a new set. I hope the new Visio 4k M series is a decent set as I already have it shipping to them. I was going to get them a 1080p panel but it looks like Visio is dumping those panels.

I doubt vizio is dumping 1080p? I would assume they sell orders of magnitude more 1080p then 4k

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Yossarian posted:

I doubt vizio is dumping 1080p? I would assume they sell orders of magnitude more 1080p then 4k

Yeah I doubt they'll never stop making 1080p panels. For example Vizio makes an 80" 4K panel. If one of the panels they makes comes out hosed up on one corner of it, do you think they're going to throw it away or just laser-cut the panel down to three perfectly good 40" 1080p panels?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So I've got this 2008 vintage 40" Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40A550) that's starting to pull some annoying bullshit: every so often when I'm watching the image will go blank while the sound will keep going, and the only way I can get the image back is to power-cycle the TV (either through the power button or literally pulling the plug).

Basically I'm wondering if this is remotely fixable or whether I just need to replace the thing. If I have to replace I'm already seeing decent deals on similarly sized 4K Vizios under C$1k, so I figure I'll go down that route, but I want to make sure whether or not I need to first.

(and also, anyone know any online shippers to :canada: who have the option to take my old TV when they deliver a new one because ain't no way I can get rid of it myself.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 20, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Yossarian posted:

What i mean is they aren't in their main lineup anymore for 50" and up.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What i mean is they aren't in their main lineup anymore for 50" and up.

Lol ok THAT makes more sense :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

So I've got this 2008 vintage 40" Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40A550) that's starting to pull some annoying bullshit: every so often when I'm watching the image will go blank while the sound will keep going, and the only way I can get the image back is to power-cycle the TV (either through the power button or literally pulling the plug).

Basically I'm wondering if this is remotely fixable or whether I just need to replace the thing. If I have to replace I'm already seeing decent deals on similarly sized 4K Vizios under C$1k, so I figure I'll go down that route, but I want to make sure whether or not I need to first.

(and also, anyone know any online shippers to :canada: who have the option to take my old TV when they deliver a new one because ain't no way I can get rid of it myself.)

Bestbuy, if you pay for it.

Amazon is just going to use UPS or Canada Post or whatever, so no go there.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any current recommendations for a 42"-45ish 1080p set? Going to be primarily using it for PS4/Xbox, so lack of lag is a must.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Deviant posted:

Any current recommendations for a 42"-45ish 1080p set? Going to be primarily using it for PS4/Xbox, so lack of lag is a must.

I think Ive posted this way too much but I'm really happy with the Vizio e-series and I think most people in this thread will recommend it too unless youre on a really baller budget. I got a refurb 48" from Groupon for $380 in perfect condition which is a better deal than I've seen anywhere else, so maybe it's worth keeping an eye on deals there. If you don't have an aversion to buying refurbished (not sure about other people's experiences but mine was perfect) that's a pretty good deal considering the 42" model is the same price brand-new

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

goferchan posted:

I think Ive posted this way too much but I'm really happy with the Vizio e-series and I think most people in this thread will recommend it too unless youre on a really baller budget. I got a refurb 48" from Groupon for $380 in perfect condition which is a better deal than I've seen anywhere else, so maybe it's worth keeping an eye on deals there. If you don't have an aversion to buying refurbished (not sure about other people's experiences but mine was perfect) that's a pretty good deal considering the 42" model is the same price brand-new

That does look good, there's a refurb on Amazon for $399.99 with prime. However, it's being badly reviewed.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E48-C2-48-Inch-1080p-Refurbished/dp/B010U3LSO8

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just bought three 82" Samsung panels for work and I'm surprised how light they are, but no one in their right mind should buy one of these things they are massive

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Deviant posted:

That does look good, there's a refurb on Amazon for $399.99 with prime. However, it's being badly reviewed.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E48-C2-48-Inch-1080p-Refurbished/dp/B010U3LSO8

Yeah I've heard really iffy things about Amazon refurbs. At least their return policy is pretty comprehensive so you're not out any money if you get a bad unit, but the whole process would still involve some hassle I imagine.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Photex posted:

I just bought three 82" Samsung panels for work and I'm surprised how light they are, but no one in their right mind should buy one of these things they are massive

I thought going as big as we can afford was the point.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

So Premiere Tv's has the LG 55" oled 1080p tv for $1350. Is this a dumb buy?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I thought going as big as we can afford was the point.

Well these cost around $6000 each

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Coredump posted:

If the seller is legit its an awesome buy

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Coredump posted:

Possibly in the "too good to be true" sense. Are you sure you aren't misreading something somewhere and signing away your soul and/or a kidney along with that $1350?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Possibly in the "too good to be true" sense. Are you sure you aren't misreading something somewhere and signing away your soul and/or a kidney along with that $1350?

Im guessing its last years model which has been as low as $1500 in the past. Its being replaced.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dallan Invictus posted:

poo poo. Meant to include link. It's from here: http://www.premiertvs.com/LG-55EC9300-55-OLED-Smart-TV-1080p-FullHD-LG-55EC9300AU-CA/p-1588

Edit: Weird. They have a separate listing for this: http://www.premiertvs.com/LG-55EC93...WARRANTY/p-1587 No idea what the difference is.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 22, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AU/CA might be Australian/Canadian model? Not sure if there's any real difference between those models and the US one. Either way I'd put that solidly in the "suspiciously cheap" category.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

qirex posted:

AU/CA might be Australian/Canadian model? Not sure if there's any real difference between those models and the US one. Either way I'd put that solidly in the "suspiciously cheap" category.

Yeah I'm with you. The store does get good reviews on google though. poo poo they claim to have Panasonic plasmas in stock.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

qirex posted:

AU/CA might be Australian/Canadian model?

Looking around the net that's exactly what it means.

My guess is that if you buy it and aren't in one of those two countries you essentially can't get any warranty service.

It's up to you if the reduced cost is worth the warranty gamble.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus the UI has a lot more Us in it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That doesn't really make sense... Australia is 50hz and Canada is 60hz. It seems an awfully odd combo to pair together given the differences between electricity/broadcast systems. Are the tuner types even the same? I'm guessing Canada uses ATSC like the US does.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

That doesn't really make sense... Australia is 50hz and Canada is 60hz. It seems an awfully odd combo to pair together given the differences between electricity/broadcast systems. Are the tuner types even the same? I'm guessing Canada uses ATSC like the US does.

Does HDTV in PAL regions run at 25/50 or did that switch to 30/60? I'd imagine the systems they use have every video standard built in now and the only real regional difference is what's turned on by default and cosmetic changes [meaning extra Us in the UI and maybe French moved up the language list to second position] plus no warrantee support.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

qirex posted:

Does HDTV in PAL regions run at 25/50 or did that switch to 30/60? I'd imagine the systems they use have every video standard built in now and the only real regional difference is what's turned on by default and cosmetic changes [meaning extra Us in the UI and maybe French moved up the language list to second position] plus no warrantee support.

I know UK hd programs i get show up on my tv as 50hz so im guessing they still use 25/50

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Photex posted:

[...]but no one in their right mind should buy one of these things they are massive

What the gently caress, man. Shameful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

Yeah as Don says, they still run in the old framerate in PAL countries rather than jumping to 60hz. There's possibly a good reason behind it, but I think it's probably down to systems having to be set between technological jumps and sticking to 50 made sense at the time. It's a bit lovely that 1080/60 isn't the worldwide standard, but why make it easy.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
PAL and NTSC will be a thing until sometime after everyone cuts cords. System upgrades need to work alongside old parts, and media is created with the medium in mind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They got so close when they agreed on standard resolutions, and the fact that every TV here that isn't garbage tier has been able to deal with a 60hz signal since the 90s. They could've freed us. They could've freed us all from the pointless tyranny of 50hz!

Doesn't really affect me, although it does amuse my that the few times I watch broadcast that I'm suffering as 50hz was an afterthought for the Panasonic plasmas it seems, as it doesn't handle the footage as well as 24p or 60hz.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
So all my poo poo got destroyed in a flood, including the 43" vizio I got like.. a month ago lol. Probably going to buy the vizio again, but in an effort to save money, I will likely be using the TV for pc gaming as well (or at least until I can afford another good monitor). Does anyone have any insight into pc gaming on vizio tv's? :)

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?
Have a look at this: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

That's pretty much the go-to resource for the best PC TV's. You're primarily looking for low input lag and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Aineris posted:

Have a look at this: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

That's pretty much the go-to resource for the best PC TV's. You're primarily looking for low input lag and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.

Awesome thanks! Looks like the e series shouldn't be too bad then... :)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The 2015 lg 1080p oled that just came out is down to $1700

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33166466353...B=true#shpCntId

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I have a wiring question-- (If this isn't the right forum, I'd appreciate it if you could direct me...)

I need to connect blu ray/cable box, etc. to a new tv, but for reasons the source gizmos are on the other side of the room. So I need to run wiring through the walls to the tv. It's going to be about a 25'-30' run, which seems to be maxing out the recommended limit for hdmi cabling. What's the best way to handle this? Active hdmi cable? CAT6 cables with hdmi wall plates? Regular hdmi with some sort of signal booster? Should a signal booster be at the source end or at the tv end? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sir Nose posted:

I have a wiring question-- (If this isn't the right forum, I'd appreciate it if you could direct me...)

I need to connect blu ray/cable box, etc. to a new tv, but for reasons the source gizmos are on the other side of the room. So I need to run wiring through the walls to the tv. It's going to be about a 25'-30' run, which seems to be maxing out the recommended limit for hdmi cabling. What's the best way to handle this? Active hdmi cable? CAT6 cables with hdmi wall plates? Regular hdmi with some sort of signal booster? Should a signal booster be at the source end or at the tv end? Thanks!

Mono price sells a 4x1 hdbaset extender I believe