Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

iv46vi posted:

Acura remotes will roll windows down when you press unlock twice and then hold it down.

Haha yep! That worked, even the sunroof. What a strange feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

Do rubber – better regretting not going far enough than going too far, in my opinion. And in a daily driver, less NVH > more performance – how much are you going to push it anyway?

If you want less body roll, get a better sway bar – way more bang for your buck in that regard than bushings. But in any matter of suspension, the diminishing returns are very diminishing, and I think you're probably more likely to regret non-rubber bushings than not. The one non OEM bushing I have really liked are the Meyle HDs on my e39's thrust arms. But really, I'll be installing the OEM oil-filled bushings soon and I'll have a chance to "compare" in a more real way than before when the pre-Meyle HD bushings were shot.

Yeah I'm going to go rubber. With the miles on my car, I probably should be cracking open the rear subframe just to check things out every 50k anyways.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

iv46vi posted:

Acura remotes will roll windows down when you press unlock twice and then hold it down.

Fun fact: On most (all?) models you can't roll them back up with the remote (unless you do a small wiring hacks to make it go) Supposedly it's so that you don't pinch/cut/whatever anything that might be in the window after it gets rolled down and since you'd be doing it by remote you might not notice it.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Haha yep! That worked, even the sunroof. What a strange feature.

The intended use is to cool a hot car quickly, say after it's been baking in an open parking lot all day.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Mate's E46 has developed a new and exciting behavior: while driving, the CEL comes on, and the brakes become "hard". He describes it as when you drive along and kill the engine. Any idea?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's losing the power assist for the brakes. I don't know specifics on that vehicle, but step one is to pull the codes that are causing the CEL. That should help.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 4x4 136k miles

I've been trying to get this thing in decent enough shape to be a daily driver/dirt road capable vehicle and I've replaced the entire front end suspension and just this past weekend the clutch/pressure plate and flywheel. About 2 months ago the truck started having trouble getting up to highway speed or up hills, and idles rough. I had a check engine error code for Mass airflow so I replaced that & air filter and the error went away. I put in some fuel injector cleaner but it didn't change anything. The clutch was going (I've driven stick forever and gone through a few on my old cars), so I knew that might be part of the problem. Replaced that, and while it's better I am still experiencing a surging/struggle to keep up RPMs, especially up hills. In neutral the engine revs fine and doesn't make any weird noises. My friends that know cars say fuel system.

I just bought a new fuel filter so I'm gonna put that in it but if that doesn't do anything where should I go with this? I'm pretty new to cars but I can turn a wrench. Do fuel pumps fail like this? I've never really learned about what happens when the different parts of fuel delivery fail.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'd say worry about "what if this doesn't work" if and when it doesn't work. I'm sure something will change changing from a 136k fuel filter to a fresh one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

He's losing the power assist for the brakes. I don't know specifics on that vehicle, but step one is to pull the codes that are causing the CEL. That should help.

To add to this, if there's any codes that could come up from a sudden inlet of unmetered air (i.e. a vacuum leak), all the more reason to suspect the booster.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'm looking at getting some tires for my truck. The OEM specs are LT245/75 R16 E, and I'm looking at some used tires (Really don't drive the truck enough for brand new IMO). Is there a max +/- on the width I can go, or should I stick to the OEM width?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Depends. Are you literally too poor to afford a new set of tires, or are you just trying to save a buck on the only thing between your car and the pavement?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Enourmo posted:

I'd say worry about "what if this doesn't work" if and when it doesn't work. I'm sure something will change changing from a 136k fuel filter to a fresh one.

Something changed! I now have a nice fresh new P0302 (misfire on cyl 2) error code to fling parts at!

Actually from some light reading it looks like my first order of business is to pull spark plugs and check them (might as well replace), and then if those are fine to take it in for a fuel injector resistance/cylinder compression test. Does that sound about right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you're pulling the plugs already, you may as well rent a compression tester and do it yourself.

After that, a quick test would be to swap the injector to a different cylinder and see if the code follows it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

Depends. Are you literally too poor to afford a new set of tires, or are you just trying to save a buck on the only thing between your car and the pavement?

It looks like I'm going to have to do them in pairs and new, but it would be nice to save a few hundred bucks on some decent used tires. Again, right now I use the truck to go get some stuff once in a while (until we get some finances in order then we can start hauling crap for the house again), and drive it to work once a week just to run it. This would be until (again) some financial stuff is straightened out a bit and I can get new tires on the truck all around.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

lwoodio posted:

06 SS/SC cobalt has steering wheel shake and front end vibration between 60-75 mph. I have gotten new tires (balanced), brakes and rotors to try to fix it, but the problem persists. Both wheels spin freely in the air. Driver's front CV boot makes a slight rubber squeaking as the rubber flexes as it turns. There is no play in the wheels when I jack it up and twist from top to bottom and side to side. I might go back to the tire shop and ask for a rebalance, but the old tires did the same thing.

Looked into this some more. Right front wheel has a bit of radial runout when I jack it up and let it spin. Rear control arm bushing looks somewhat shabby. Would a bad rear CAB cause steering wheel shake and vibration?

Pics of suspension and steering parts:

Rear CAB

Front CAB

Sway bar end links

Tie Rod end

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SE, 93,000 miles. Passenger seat doesn't seem to detect occupants anymore.

It used to be that the seatbelt idiot light would stay lit if a passenger was present and their seatbelt unbuckled when the car was moving, but no longer. For a while, it was occasionally keeping the "passenger airbag off" light (in the middle of the dash) lit even with an adult passenger present, and it's only supposed to keep that lit if there's something light in the passenger seat (like a kid in a carseat). Now that light turns off shortly after I turn the car on, which is the same behavior as if the seat is empty.

I checked the connections under the passenger seat and they seemed fine, but I didn't get in close to inspect each wire.

No warning lights are present, and the seatbelt/airbag lights seem to operate normally otherwise (lit briefly when ignition is turned on, turning off with all the rest).

Car does not have side airbags.

Anyone have any guidance? Anything else to check before taking it in? (Would this be a dealer-specific system or would any mechanic be fine?) It's rather troubling not knowing if my passenger airbag will go off if needed. I like the people that sit there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Unless you buy new ones as soon as you buy a used car, a lot of us have driven for years and thousands of miles on used tyres. Provided they pass the same level of inspection you'd give the ones on a used car, I've never had a problem with it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Speaking of which.

Driving at 70mph, I ran clean over a large metal lump (I started to think about a sudden change of direction, but by the time I remembered that the Saab did successfully pass the elk test, it was too late)

About the size of half a house brick and lumpy and I went clean over it with the low-pros and it made a heck of a thump.

No visible damage apart from a couple of small chunks that look like you could squeeze the top of a pencil in them. Drives fine.

Proof that cars are stronger than you imagine or a ticking time bomb till a blowout?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SE, 93,000 miles. Passenger seat doesn't seem to detect occupants anymore.

It used to be that the seatbelt idiot light would stay lit if a passenger was present and their seatbelt unbuckled when the car was moving, but no longer. For a while, it was occasionally keeping the "passenger airbag off" light (in the middle of the dash) lit even with an adult passenger present, and it's only supposed to keep that lit if there's something light in the passenger seat (like a kid in a carseat). Now that light turns off shortly after I turn the car on, which is the same behavior as if the seat is empty.

I checked the connections under the passenger seat and they seemed fine, but I didn't get in close to inspect each wire.

No warning lights are present, and the seatbelt/airbag lights seem to operate normally otherwise (lit briefly when ignition is turned on, turning off with all the rest).

Car does not have side airbags.

Anyone have any guidance? Anything else to check before taking it in? (Would this be a dealer-specific system or would any mechanic be fine?) It's rather troubling not knowing if my passenger airbag will go off if needed. I like the people that sit there.

There will be a pressure pad thingy in the seat bench where your rear end goes, they gently caress out sometimes. Pretty easy to replace yourself if you're willing to take the seat out and apart.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

spog posted:

Speaking of which.

Driving at 70mph, I ran clean over a large metal lump (I started to think about a sudden change of direction, but by the time I remembered that the Saab did successfully pass the elk test, it was too late)

About the size of half a house brick and lumpy and I went clean over it with the low-pros and it made a heck of a thump.

No visible damage apart from a couple of small chunks that look like you could squeeze the top of a pencil in them. Drives fine.

Proof that cars are stronger than you imagine or a ticking time bomb till a blowout?

I'd make sure to check both the outside and inside of the tire for bubbles. A lot of people look on the outside but don't check the inside. A bubble is definitely a time bomb waiting to go off.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I'd make sure to check both the outside and inside of the tire for bubbles. A lot of people look on the outside but don't check the inside. A bubble is definitely a time bomb waiting to go off.

Do you mean both external sidewalls, or have the tyre removed from the rim and checked on the inside?

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
My 2008 Nissan Sentra (~82K miles, stick shift) has developed a problem with stalling.

Let's say I'm stopped at a traffic light; the engine is idling (~750 rpm), when suddenly (about 10-20% of the time) the revs drop and the engine stalls. A bit more creepily, it's even done this a few times when I'm getting off the highway; I put the clutch all the way down as I slow down for the offramp and the revs, instead of dropping to idle, bottom out and the car stalls (while I'm still moving at 50mph). Always, though, I can restart the engine and it goes right back to running normally.

At first, I thought it might be the A/C kicking in and drawing too much from the engine when it's idle, but it happens even when the A/C is off. What's going on with my baby?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stray posted:

My 2008 Nissan Sentra (~82K miles, stick shift) has developed a problem with stalling.

Let's say I'm stopped at a traffic light; the engine is idling (~750 rpm), when suddenly (about 10-20% of the time) the revs drop and the engine stalls. A bit more creepily, it's even done this a few times when I'm getting off the highway; I put the clutch all the way down as I slow down for the offramp and the revs, instead of dropping to idle, bottom out and the car stalls (while I'm still moving at 50mph). Always, though, I can restart the engine and it goes right back to running normally.

At first, I thought it might be the A/C kicking in and drawing too much from the engine when it's idle, but it happens even when the A/C is off. What's going on with my baby?

Bad IAC or a bad TPS.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Question: I have a 2011 Honda Fit that I might sell at some point.

One flaw is that the steering wheel is off-kilter by about five degrees or less. The car does track very straight after an alignment, I don't need to fight with the steering wheel to keep it going straight down the road.

I'm assuming this is something that can be corrected in an alignment - will having the steering wheel slightly off-center cause any serious loss of value in the car if I trade it in?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Three-Phase posted:

Question: I have a 2011 Honda Fit that I might sell at some point.

One flaw is that the steering wheel is off-kilter by about five degrees or less. The car does track very straight after an alignment, I don't need to fight with the steering wheel to keep it going straight down the road.

I'm assuming this is something that can be corrected in an alignment - will having the steering wheel slightly off-center cause any serious loss of value in the car if I trade it in?

They didn't align that when they did your alignment? It should be part of the procedure. If this was done recently, I would go in and bitch until they align your steering wheel too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's something that SHOULD HAVE BEEN taken care of in the course of an alignment. You had a lazy tech.

And nobody cares about things like that on a trade in at a dealership.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Thanks for the info, first off.

Here's the weird bit - there's a before and after alignment printout for the steering wheel - on the printout it shows that it was corrected, but it clearly hasn't. That almost makes me wonder if they just faked the alignment, but I think it's probably more a mistake (or like you said, laziness) than malice. They checked the tire wear, it was even and about 7/32 for each tire (I had these oddball Michelin Premiere A/S that start at 8.5/32 so that's actually pretty good.)

One other alignment question - some places put the car on a lift and use a machine to check the alignment, but others do the alignment check when the car is sitting on the ground. Is it true that you cannot get an accurate alignment check unless the car is on a lift?

What sucks is I like these guys at this repair shop, they've been honest and polite in the past so I really don't want to just barge in and shout "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOU STUPID DICKS!" I'll have to be polite but professionally assertive on this one.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 22, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Is it true that you cannot get an accurate alignment check unless the car is on a lift?
No, the lift makes it easier to work on the car, that's all.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Krakkles posted:

No, the lift makes it easier to work on the car, that's all.

Gotcha - this one dealership near me has an alignment they do when you bring your car into the "holding bay", but they said it isn't guaranteed good because the floor isn't even. I've had it indicate out of alignment once when I was there, I took it to the repair shop in question (the one that didn't center my steering wheel correctly), where they have a much newer alignment system, and they said it was well within spec. There never was any evidence of alignment being really bad like pulling or odd tire wear.

That gave me pause. Call me mechanically declined. :shrug:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 22, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A Toyota dealership here has alignment rigs pointed at parking spots in their service area, presumably so they can throw a set of reflectors on the car and upsell you. I don't see any way they could be repeatable enough to actually tell you anything, but inaccurate is probably going to show "OMG NEEDS ALIGNMENT" which is what they want anyway.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Gotcha - this one dealership near me has an alignment they do when you bring your car into the "holding bay", but they said it isn't guaranteed good because the floor isn't even. I've had it indicate out of alignment once when I was there, I took it to the repair shop in question (the one that didn't center my steering wheel correctly), where they have a much newer alignment system, and they said it was well within spec. There never was any evidence of alignment being really bad like pulling or odd tire wear.

That gave me pause. Call me mechanically declined. :shrug:
Alignments do need to be done on a level surface. Run away from any shop that wants to measure alignment or worse, align the car, on an uneven surface.

I guess that's the other purpose of the lift, if a shop had an uneven floor. Though I'd wonder how level the lift is if they didn't bother to level the floor surface.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

A Toyota dealership here has alignment rigs pointed at parking spots in their service area, presumably so they can throw a set of reflectors on the car and upsell you. I don't see any way they could be repeatable enough to actually tell you anything, but inaccurate is probably going to show "OMG NEEDS ALIGNMENT" which is what they want anyway.

That's exactly what this other place has. It's so bad that the people there even sheepishly admit that the results aren't totally accurate. We had a nasty winter in Cuyahoga County, you get potholes that absolutely ruin alignment and are hard to dodge.

I guess in the old days you'd loosen a nut, adjust the steering wheel, and tighten the nut. Now you've got to do this whole alignment hokey-pokey to get it straightened, that sucks.

You know what too, if I wuss out and get it fixed on my next alignment, I'll be used to it being off, so I'll need to ask them to align it with the steering wheel offset by a few degrees. :psyduck:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 23, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

I guess in the old days you'd loosen a nut, adjust the steering wheel, and tighten the nut. Now you've got to do this whole alignment hokey-pokey to get it straightened, that sucks.

You know what too, if I wuss out and get it fixed on my next alignment, I'll be used to it being off, so I'll need to ask them to align it with the steering wheel offset by a few degrees. :psyduck:
This isn't true - the right way has always been to align it first, and correct the steering wheel after, by (roughly) removing a nut and straightening it.

In theory, the wheel should always already be straight if all alignment is correct and no parts are damaged or worn, but in practice, it's not unheard of to correct alignment, correct hardware, and still have to adjust the wheel to straight.

Go have them straighten it. If they won't, don't get it aligned there again and take it somewhere that will.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

spog posted:

Do you mean both external sidewalls, or have the tyre removed from the rim and checked on the inside?

Of course, now I have sobered up, I realise that getting a bubble inside a tyre is an indication of much serious problems than a mere debris hit.

(i.e. I have a vacuum in my tyre)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

spog posted:

(i.e. I have a vacuum in my tyre)
If you have a vacuum in your tire, the entire structure of the tire would be collapsed.

Remember, flat is (roughly) atmospheric pressure. Most of the structure of most tires (i.e. not run-flats) comes from the air pressure within the tire.

A bubble is part of the structure which holds that pressure being unable to hold it in the desired shape. Like a hernia, sort of.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Krakkles posted:

If you have a vacuum in your tire, the entire structure of the tire would be collapsed.

Remember, flat is (roughly) atmospheric pressure. Most of the structure of most tires (i.e. not run-flats) comes from the air pressure within the tire.

A bubble is part of the structure which holds that pressure being unable to hold it in the desired shape. Like a hernia, sort of.

I meant that the laws of physics have gone a bit wrong.

EDIT Sorry if wasn't clear that I was being facetious about my previous stupidity

spog fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 23, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So we just bought a 2015 Nissan Versa and it's time for its first oil change. Should I install a Fumoto valve in place of the original drain plug? Has anyone else used them? They seem a little gimmicky to me, but I do like a clean garage...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't used one before, but they look neat. Depending on where your drain is, I'd be worried about the fitting sticking out further than the regular plug, potentially getting caught on something and damaged.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I have one installed on my 850, and I JUST did an oil change.

Pros to the fumoto:

No wrench required, no dropping the plug into the pan, no oil splattering everywhere when you pull the plug. You can start/stop draining whenever you want, which is handy if you take samples for blackstone or whatever.

Cons: drain hole size is smaller than your plug, so it will drain a little slower (who cares, have another beer). On my vehicle, the oil pan doesn't go past the subframe, and the plug is kinda recessed into the back of the pan anyway, so I'm not worried about it getting caught/damaged by driving over stuff. Also it's a volvo, so it's not like I'm offroading or rallying with it.

It's convenient and nifty, and I'm glad I installed it. Not strictly necessary though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MRC48B posted:

I have one installed on my 850, and I JUST did an oil change.

Pros to the fumoto:

No wrench required, no dropping the plug into the pan, no oil splattering everywhere when you pull the plug. You can start/stop draining whenever you want, which is handy if you take samples for blackstone or whatever.

Cons: drain hole size is smaller than your plug, so it will drain a little slower (who cares, have another beer). On my vehicle, the oil pan doesn't go past the subframe, and the plug is kinda recessed into the back of the pan anyway, so I'm not worried about it getting caught/damaged by driving over stuff. Also it's a volvo, so it's not like I'm offroading or rallying with it.

It's convenient and nifty, and I'm glad I installed it. Not strictly necessary though.

Slip some cheap hose over it, route that hose right into your old oil jug. It's AWESOME.